Good start in 'Guilty Gear' series?

As someone who's never played a Guilty Gear game, would you say Strive is a good game to start off the series with? I recently saw some gameplay on Youtube and love the artstyle of the game a lot!!

In terms of story I would like to know what's happening in the game but I don't want to go back in time (and possibly in platform/ console) to actually kbow what is going on. Mainly my reason why I never got into the FF games. If there's an older Guilty Gear game that explains the story more, is better than this one or anything that is on PS4 I'd love to pick that up in a sale sometime. 

Also the trophies seem quite doable. I love fighting games but sweatfest games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice and Street Fighter made me hate the genre a little. I don't want to spent 24 hours a day behind my tv to get on the same level 9/10 online players are in those games. I have a job and can only game 4 hours per day at most so games like that stop me from enjoying the genre.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

31 minutes ago, its_ArchroniX said:

As someone who's never played a Guilty Gear game, would you say Strive is a good game to start off the series with? I recently saw some gameplay on Youtube and love the artstyle of the game a lot!!

In terms of story I would like to know what's happening in the game but I don't want to go back in time (and possibly in platform/ console) to actually kbow what is going on. Mainly my reason why I never got into the FF games. If there's an older Guilty Gear game that explains the story more, is better than this one or anything that is on PS4 I'd love to pick that up in a sale sometime. 

Also the trophies seem quite doable. I love fighting games but sweatfest games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice and Street Fighter made me hate the genre a little. I don't want to spent 24 hours a day behind my tv to get on the same level 9/10 online players are in those games. I have a job and can only game 4 hours per day at most so games like that stop me from enjoying the genre.

Its easily the most fluid and accessible. I found it a solid 9.5/10. One of my faves of the year. I even respect the challenge of Nagoriyuki. Drove me nuts but yah.

GG Rev 2 is good but much more stiff. You can't remap buttons as easy like no L1 for Dash lol

16 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Its easily the most fluid and accessible. I found it a solid 9.5/10. One of my faves of the year. I even respect the challenge of Nagoriyuki. Drove me nuts but yah.

GG Rev 2 is good but much more stiff. You can't remap buttons as easy like no L1 for Dash lol

Out of interest, would you be able to inform how difficult the Platinum is, please? I like the look of Strive but would also a newcomer like OP, and can see you have the Platinum (congrats, btw). I'm presuming Messiah Will Not Come is the most difficult?

1 hour ago, its_ArchroniX said:

In terms of story I would like to know what's happening in the game but I don't want to go back in time (and possibly in platform/ console) to actually kbow what is going on.

Those videos do a good job explaining (most) of what happen up to Strive. 
But understand that this is a fighting game story/lore and that most of it is made up as each new episode comes out, so there's a lot of elements that makes little sense in insight and lots of retcons here and there in order to fit the new storyline in the existing canon. You don't primary play fighting games for their narratives, they're just excuses to give the characters reasons to fights each others.
But if you like overly complex storylines and lore deeper than the Mariana trench, boy, you're there for a treat.

That said, Strive is indeed the best game to start the series. Gameplay has been streamlined, there's a huge player base online for the moment and the platinum is quite attainable for a fighting game with only a few quick and easy online trophies. The true last boss of the arcade mode will test your skills, but there are ways around him.

Other than Overture(screw Tower Defense), I played every GG in the series. I 100% recommend Strive to be the game you start with. Awesome visuals, easy to learn, crazy good netcode (oh god the game is so good online you wouldn't believe it). You don't have as many movesets like the previous installments and every moveset is explained in the move menu together with a short video. I mean it's top tutorial mode. 

Arcade has the Nagoriyuki boss who can be a tough cookie, indeed, but he can be cheesed with pretty much any character. In terms of trophy, I'd say a 4/10, maybe a 5 if you are a complete newcomer.

If you want the lore, the game itself has an in-depth lore explanation, or you can check WoolieVs' Lore videos. 

2 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

This is where the game shines also. The new tower ranking system will NEVER pair you with a nasty OP player (unless you explicitly want so xD ). If all you want to do is come home, relax and just punch the everliving thing out of May's dolphins with Sol, you can do so :D 

The previous games are also fantastic, but they are not really beginner friendly and have ATROCIOUS netcode. Plus, in order to understand the full lore, most of the games and iterations aren't even on playstation. So yeah, definitely pick Strive and enjoy :) 

OH AND! Pick the character that looks the sickest to you. That's the common Guilty Gear rule xD 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Out of interest, would you be able to inform how difficult the Platinum is, please? I like the look of Strive but would also a newcomer like OP, and can see you have the Platinum (congrats, btw). I'm presuming Messiah Will Not Come is the most difficult?

Yep. Messiah is most difficult. But you can sort of cheese it and spam rematches. So its less daunting for that reason alone.

Platinum is probably a 4/10. Nothing insanely difficult.. would be a 2 but Messiah makes it or breaks it.

I gave it my all, was gonna give up and decided to push myself to do it and didnt go to bed until i did. lmao. 

The roster is sort of small, but its not too bad. 

10 minutes ago, Copanele said:

OH AND! Pick the character that looks the sickest to you. That's the common Guilty Gear rule xD 

heh, we all know my fave. Millia ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Arcade has the Nagoriyuki boss who can be a tough cookie, indeed, but he can be cheesed with pretty much any character. In terms of trophy, I'd say a 4/10, maybe a 5 if you are a complete newcomer.

Seen a few people say this, any video resources I can find on it (or just general tips?) Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Yep. Messiah is most difficult. But you can sort of cheese it and spam rematches. So its less daunting for that reason alone.

Platinum is probably a 4/10. Nothing insanely difficult.. would be a 2 but Messiah makes it or breaks it.

I gave it my all, was gonna give up and decided to push myself to do it and didnt go to bed until i did. lmao. 

The roster is sort of small, but its not too bad.

Awesome, thank you

5 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Seen a few people say this, any video resources I can find on it (or just general tips?) Many thanks!

Awesome, thank you

If it helps, I have a video with it. Basically a grab loop followed by a super when nago gets stunned

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone!! 

I just have one more question: Will I be able to upgrade the psychical edition of the PS4 game to the PS5 version, or is it only the digital edition that is upgradeable?

I happen to own the very first generation of the PS4 so it's nowhere near the PS5's power. If I should buy the game I might play it on my PS4 for practice and then switch to my PS5 (if I ever get one) for the better graphics.

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

heh, we all know my fave. Millia 1f60d.png

Glad to know there’s some love for Millia, I swear she’s the least played character, I’ve only faced like 3 Millia players since release.

This was my first entry to the series, Millia was the first character I tried in the beta and I stuck with her since I love her playstyle.

She’s definitely not easy to play and has to work way harder than the top tiers in this game, but I’m glad I didn’t give up on her. Not the best character to start the game with, It was tough for me playing her the first days, I felt like I was getting destroyed by pretty much any other competent player but I’m currently at Celestial floor in the ranked lobbies, so the hard work definitely paid off :D 

Let me know if you wanna play some mirror matches, would love that!

Also to the OP definitely pick up this game if you’re remotely interested, it’s so much fun and the netcode is a blessing :) 

I’m not sure about the upgrade for the physical copy, I preordered the ps5 digital version and didn’t even realize it included the ps4 version as well.

Edited by iFraaN97
  • Like 1