Assassin's Creed Infinity Platform: AC Codename Red & AC Codename Hexe

ziggypossum

OK, so I've been reading through Schreier's latest tweets and this might (keyword: might) be just everyone blowing this out of proportion because of what we've usually come to understand as "live service" and past actions by Ubisoft. Apparently, Infinity (which is not even guaranteed to be the final title) may as well just end up being a hub for AC games (similar to the one we saw in Unity) in the future, instead of having to release a separate game in each occasion - which would actually be positive, if we come to think about it. Of course, being Ubisoft, I'm skeptical it won't have any sort of predatory system or the likes, but one can hope.

(Source: his Twitter, particularly this, this and this.)

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

So the next Assassin's Creed will be a live service game and the next Division will be a free to play.  I see enough micro transactions incoming that even a blind man could swing a bat and not miss with a single swing.  At least for the next Division game.  Makes me wonder if they are slipping something into Far Cry 6 and haven't said anything yet.  Maybe that will happen with Far Cry 7.  This might get me to stop playing Assassin's Creed.  Have to wait and see.

I've been reading his tweets as well. I'm not happy with where this franchise is going. If they expect us to sit around and wait for Year Two DLC, I guess we would anyway because a number of us are completionists.

Pretty soon they'll make it like Need for Speed 2015 where you need an online connection to play single player at all. The masses won't even notice any of these tweets. They'll buy Far Cry 6 full price at $69.99, they'll preorder the next Assassin's Creed regardless of what happens. That's how these giant publishers stay in business.

A full on live service game will definitely make me quit the Assassin's Creed franchise.

• Like 1

Friendship ended with Assassin's Creed

Now Ghost of _____ is my best friend

Seriously though, I don't have enough details to judge this. Can't say I like the way it sounds, though. I really dislike microtransactions. I managed to play Origins and Odyssey without buying any (aside from the cost of the season passes). Didn't pick up Valhalla yet - waiting for a deep discount.. I continue to feel icky about giving Ubisoft money because of the abuse allegations, and Jason's article further cements that. And now there are reports that Ubisoft might be having trouble attracting & retaining devs because of the allegations, which doesn't inspire confidence in the quality of their future games.

• Like 1

I think this would make a good jumping off point regardless. All Ubisoft games these days feel formulaic and AC was the one series of theirs I hadn’t stopped playing yet. You could play one game from their portfolio in the last 8 years and you would have gotten a baseline experience for all of them.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, bikeman223 said:

I think this would make a good jumping off point regardless. All Ubisoft games these days feel formulaic and AC was the one series of theirs I hadn’t stopped playing yet. You could play one game from their portfolio in the last 8 years and you would have gotten a baseline experience for all of them.

Pretty much. Aside from Assassin’s Creed I think Watch Dogs 1 & 2 will be the only games I will touch in that series. 

Far Cry I’m pretty much done. 

On 07/07/2021 at 6:31 PM, Quink666 said:

Sad thing is that even though a lot of people would probably skip a GaaS AC game it will probably make them tons of money through DLC and micro transactions. Making them think this is what players want from future AC games. 

I really miss the good old days where games came complete on disc with everything you needed. I’m becoming a boomer slowly but surely ?

You have boomer and millennial mixed up. Unless you're nearly 60 years old ?

On 7/13/2021 at 2:34 AM, RedDevil757 said:

You have boomer and millennial mixed up. Unless you're nearly 60 years old 1f606.png

Everybody tosses Generation X to the side. A shame, but they're probably laughing at the stupid debates the Baby Boomers and Millennials throw at each other over the internet on a daily basis.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Pretty much. Aside from Assassin’s Creed I think Watch Dogs 1 & 2 will be the only games I will touch in that series. 

Far Cry I’m pretty much done. 

Watch Dogs Legion is very different from the other 2, actually kind of revolutionary In concept and execution. Gamers complain about things all being the same then when a company tries something a little different they complain about that to. Gamers are a fickle bunch. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

1 minute ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Watch Dogs Legion is very different from the other 2, actually kind of revolutionary In concept and execution.

Meh. I'm sort of burnt out on Ubisoft games at this point. They said the same thing about Assassin's Creed Origins, which I went for anyway because I'm still a fan of the series. It's just a matter of taste really.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, Welmosca said:

I love this part..."Quebec then took the lead with Assassin’s Creed Syndicate and Odyssey, demonstrating its ability to drive the franchise even further"

they just forgot to write...further away from what AC ever was.

Really sad to see AC lose its identity like this,ubi is proving themselves extremely good at making game series lose their identity.Guess this is the final nail in the coffin for AC,I mean can't judge the game before even seeing it but as a AC fan the series died for me after Origins...odyssey and valhalla just use AC on its title to sell but the games do sell and the wave of playas that the PS4 gen brought seem to enjoy them so guess there are chances of this being a success.

Well less games to buy is always a good thing lol.Just curious to see how it'll turn out,didn't expect them to go this route with AC.

I don't think anybody really cares about the Assassin part at this point. They just see a giant open world in a historical setting and state this is the game they want.

The series has not only changed (everything that made the original and Assassin's Creed 2 what they were is pretty much gone), the community of fans has changed as well. They want bigger open world, more padding, more collectibles, more quests shoved in just because, because that sells.

It's a cashcow and nothing more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Generally, it's a game designed with a purpose of keeping players play for as long as possible in the hopes those players will pay for microtransactions.

I had no problem with this on MMOs since that was their format from the ground up.

Most every AAA game has in-game advertising and icons you can click on that try to convince you to spend actual money, for instance in-game currency. Ubisoft has done this for a few years now at least, so the Assassin's Creed franchise I feel has already gone live service.

Having second year DLC for Valhalla is another indication.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

uUkBlDs.jpg

9cTOMnq.jpg

gZTMyIK.jpg

Ycds6b8.jpg

Assassin’s Creed Codename Red will finally take the series to Japan – just don’t expect it soon

As well as announcing Assassin's Creed Mirage, during tonight's Ubisoft Forward presentation, Ubisoft has also announced a brand-new game in the Assassin's Creed universe that will finally take us on a historic tour of Japan: Codename Red.

We've only got a very brief teaser for the game at the time of writing, and the title is still a while off yet (the next game in the series will be the aforementioned Mirage), but hey – at least we know it's coming.

Ubisoft refers to this title as "The future of our open world flagship RPG series", which seems to reference the fact that Mirage will be a more 'classic' Assassin's experience that leans on stealth and parkour more than it does damage numbers and massive worlds.

"[Codename Red] will let players explore one of their most anticipated settings," says Ubisoft's Marc-Alexis Cote on the Ubisoft stream. The game will be an "anticipated Shinobi fantasy in feudal Japan," and during a presentation, we saw a bit of key art for the game – and nothing else.

Slightly later in the stream, there was a breakdown of what's being worked on in the Assassin's Creed series: we've got an expansion for Valhalla in 2022, then Mirage in 2023, Codename Hexe and Codename Jade after that, and then Codename Red and the in-production Netflix series. Sounds like we'll be waiting until at least 2024 for this game – if not later.

It's not clear yet whether there'll be a split in these games going forward – could we see one arm of Ubisoft's extended family working on stealth-first titles, whilst another does the RPG side? It remains to be seen.

https://www.vg247.com/assassins-creed-codename-red-japan

Edited by ziggypossum
  • Like 1

Assassin’s Creed Infinity Announced With Two New Games

Feudal Japan, multiplayer, and something stranger awaits.

https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-infinity-announced-with-two-new-games

Assassin’s Creed Infinity is a platform, not a new game, Ubisoft says

To provide an example of one element of traditional Assassin's Creed games that will be moved across to Infinity, Côté points to codex entries. "We used to have an encyclopedia in our games. But to make it feel coherent, like something that always grows through time as you explore the past, [the encyclopedia] would be something that would be in the Infinity hub."

https://www.polygon.com/23344255/assassins-creed-infinity-ubisoft-forward-september-2022-announcement

nI3xoCG.jpg

Edited by ziggypossum