Morphiar

Did anyone else really dislike this game?

17 posts in this topic

I've stuck through with it for so long (albeit I took a massive break and came back recently). I am 15 hours in now and got a good chunk of the trophies, but I've had to give up today. The gathering missions are so pointless and boring. The battles are so repetitive... and if you just stock up on the health potions you can pretty much never lose - then you just have to spam the circle button and occasionally do some dodges, over and over again. The game feels like a complete chore to play and just dragged on the whole time. I don't want to run around the map collecting the dragon balls constantly (some of them are ridiculously hidden despite being shown on the map). I don't want to collect multiple ingredients to cook up some dinners before I am able to progress in the story.

I get the feeling you have to be a big Dragon Ball fan to enjoy this game, or is that just me? I can't believe the platinum percentage is so high for this game. It's up there with Orc Slayer for one of the worst games I've ever played. I've deleted it again for the second time... who knows, maybe I'll try again in a year or two, but probably not!

No, I thought the game was great. I broke my run many times but still came back to it and had fun. 

1 hour ago, Flubberwunked said:

I'd consider myself a casual DBZ fan and I was really happy with what this game offered. I never actually watched any of the Majin Buu sqga back when I was really into the show, but I think they did a great job with pacing the story throughout the entire game. It was definitely the highlight for me.

I'm not gonna defend the side missions though. They we're pretty lazy and boring. The combat could've been a bit better too. The AI was never annoying so that's why the combat wasn't an issue for me personally. 

So yeah I think this game is best looked at as a good way to experience the DBZ story again that cuts out all the long filler. It's a 7.5 or maybe an 8/10 from me.

Same thoughts exactly.  I found this game really enjoyable, especially as a way to learn about DBZ lore since I didn't watch the show a ton growing up.  I did watch the original Dragon Ball and appreciated a lot of the character cameos.  Game seemed like a labor of love for sure.  Probably a 7/10 for me, but really enjoyable.

I'm a huge Dragonball fan, and didn't like this game at all. I'd say it suits casual fans of the franchise far better, or people who are new to the story. 

Pretty much for all the points you made I agree, boring, repetitive, janky combat etc. Played the Game Boy Advance RPG games in my youth and loved those, so was pretty hyped when this got announced. 

Cut scenes were great though, but for people like me who have watched/played the main story a million times, it didnt offer anything new. 

Xenoverse 2/Fighterz miles better than this if your a fan of the series depending on type of game you prefer. 

1 hour ago, Flubberwunked said:

I'd consider myself a casual DBZ fan and I was really happy with what this game offered. I never actually watched any of the Majin Buu sqga back when I was really into the show, but I think they did a great job with pacing the story throughout the entire game. It was definitely the highlight for me.

I'm not gonna defend the side missions though. They we're pretty lazy and boring. The combat could've been a bit better too. The AI was never annoying so that's why the combat wasn't an issue for me personally. 

So yeah I think this game is best looked at as a good way to experience the DBZ story again that cuts out all the long filler. It's a 7.5 or maybe an 8/10 from me.

I agree with a lot of this. I also missed out on the Buu saga, and I was satisfied with seeing it in this game. And it was indeed nice to have no filler.

I'd also give it an 8. I'm bummed out none of the DLC had trophies though; I would've been happy to pick up this game again.

This is the best of dbz in terms of story, the cut scenes are great and hell, there are a lot of them. In term of combat there are repetitive and there are not challenge at all but still in pros/cons i give it a 7 in fun.

I thought the game was decent. The issues you listed are valid. The gameplay is repetitive and the side quests are generic and many times are dreading to do (I ended up skipping a ton in the Namek saga). You really don’t do the quests for the actual gameplay contents, but for the lore and to see the cast interact with familiar faces and such (like Goku seeing Nam or Android 8 again). It’s quintessentially fan service. Also to explain some longtime questions fans had like the whereabouts of Launch throughout DBZ?

The game is essentially a glorified Legacy of Goku and DBZ Sagas (if you liked those, you most likely enjoy this). I thought the world was large and alluring, but with not much to do besides roam around and collect materials and Dragon Balls. The biggest strength of the game is how cinematic it is and the story, as it’s the best cinematic story. Since Budokai 1. This would be a plus for a fan who hasn’t seen the story or isn’t too familiar with it because it give them more reason to be engaged and compelled with the story. But if you’re already a longtime DBZ fan like most, than this won’t really do much for you because you seen and played through the same retelling of the story a hundred times already. It’s just the same thing that is being presented in a different manner. This a issue with the source material, not the game.

I believe they missed out by not including movie characters or by having Super content (at launch) or GT. It would’ve gave more incentive to play it. I feel like this game would’ve been better if it solely focused on the original Dragon Ball story. As it be more fitting because original DB is more suited towards the adventure aspect. All in all, the game is a 6/10 if you’re not a fan of the series, but it’s a 7/10. If you’re a fan. Hopefully they return to the Tenkaichi style of games because those are the best DBZ game (imo). 

Posted (edited)

The game isn't fun and is filled with pointless filler, the only reason anyone would play it is just because it's nostalgic but it's not a good game

Edited by TheSalemCrow

I thought it was pretty good! Could've been abit more varied as you say with some of the missions but overall a good attempt! The dlc was pretty poor though I thought!

I’m five hours in so far and still getting the grasp of how the game works. I just finished the Sayain Saga and I’m having fun. I’ve only completed three side missions and as far as I can tell they aren’t required.

i do find myself skipping some cutscenes as I know the story well (own the manga) for people who aren’t fans of the show it’s definitely going to be a “when does the game become a game.” 

I personally loved it. 

I didn't have money throughout my playthrough, so I barely used healing items, and thought some fights were challenging 

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Morphiar said:

then you just have to spam the circle button and occasionally do some dodges, over and over again.

Firstly, no, the game is very enjoyable to play and there are plenty of different moves and combinations to try out with the other characters. I had so much fun being op and literally destroying the enemies with ki blasts and barrages omds I’d love to play a PS5 version of it all over again. 

22 hours ago, Morphiar said:

I don't want to run around the map collecting the dragon balls constantly (some of them are ridiculously hidden despite being shown on the map). I don't want to collect multiple ingredients to cook up some dinners before I am able to progress in the story.

I get the feeling you have to be a big Dragon Ball fan to enjoy this game, or is that just me?

This is an rpg after all so it would have you doing things like that. The dragon balls weren’t hard to find at all unless they’ve been updated to new locations with all the dlc? But regardless, for most fans of the franchise, they would love this game as do I but even if you’re not a fan, this is still a great game. A variety of things to do. Sure the random fights can be repetitive but once you get going with the different skill sets, it becomes so much more fun

I personally loved everything about it because I love the whole franchise. The anime, the movies, the games even though some of them were a bit out there and weren’t great lol but overall, my I really enjoyed this and would defos go back to it

Edited by ShahinMiah

I really enjoyed it, most if not all the BDZ games are pure fighting games so it was nice to have a little bit extra to it, the last genre difference that I can remember was Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku on the game boy advance

I just got the platinum, and the final trophy was the only downside of the playthrough.  

Spoiler

the boss had 60 million HP, so the fight took forever. very tedious, and by the time he reached 5mil or so, the game turned into a slideshow because of all the projectiles 

other than that, I thought it's a pretty fun game, 

Posted (edited)

I didn't dislike it, but I thought it got really repetitive the farther I went into it. It doesn't help that it's basically the same gameplay from Xenoverse 1 and 2, both of which I've already played quite a bit of, not to mention Battle of Z, which was essentially a prototype to Xenoverse in my opinion. From my perspective, it was like playing the same game for the fourth time, although at least Xenoverse has the appeal that the story is guaranteed to take some side turns from the canon story. I probably enjoyed the side content the most, because it took a detour from the main story I've seen retold so many times now and gave me fresh content about the characters and the general lore of the world.

I can't see myself going back to it any time soon, even with all the DLC that's been released. I would not consider it a good game, my love for the franchise was the only thing carrying me to find enjoyment in it. I'd much rather the next DBZ game go back to something like the Raging Blast, Tenkaichi, Burst Limit, or the Budokai games, but the Xenoverse formula of gameplay is apparently what sells now and seems more simple for them to keep updating, so it's wishful thinking I suppose.

Edited by Snake_1302
spelling error

Posted (edited)

This game is pretty bad. The experience is alright, but mostly because I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan. That's what keeping me playing the game to completion (currently jus tfinished story 3 of 4). If this game was of any other franchise, I probably couldn't stand finishing it.

The design is fine (the cutscenes are great), but the lipsyncing is pretty bad at times. I also missed some key moments in the stories:

Spoiler

Just a couple of examples

• In the Frieza saga, we don't see Vegeta saving Krillin and Gohan by killing Guldo.
  • Vegeta scaring the crap out of Android 19 by ripping of his arms is not there.
  • Trunks going bulked up SSJ against perfect cell was not there.
  • The whole conclusion of the Cell saga made no sense. The whole bit where Gohan is toying with Cell rather than finishing him, was not there. Cell just went straight from spitting out 18 to blowing himself up. This completely destroyed the impact of Goku's sacrifice and Gohan's realisation of his mistake (which didn't happen now).
  • Also, the fight in the anime was so much more badass, with Gohan snatching the bag of senzu beans from cell. And telling cell to shut up after transforming.
  • And we don't see Trunks going back to his own time to conclude the story by finishing the Androids and Cell.

Yet, other filler crap was still added. Like the driving bit. I liked some of the small scenes around it,  but this game did not need driving/vehicle gameplay. They show loads of spoilers before each new story starts (so you'd think they made the game for fans that already know the story), yet some of the dialogue is so damn stupid trying to explain simple details for people who don't know anything about Dragon Ball. 

Spoiler

Like an early one I remember, when Gohan get's taken by Radditz and Goku asks for the Dragon Radar to find them. Bulma says something like "Oh yeah! That little thing on his hat was a Dragon Ball right?". Yeah, no shit...

The music and sound effects are good, but the sound design sucks big time. Like when you try blowing up one of the RR towers or Frieza ships with charged key blasts (hold button). Does the character really need to yell the same damn thing every 2 seconds for each blast? Or the same damn lines of dialogue every time when flying past enemies.

Fighting is boring, for me it mostly comes down to full combo -> knock back -> energy blast. With some dodging in between and sometimes a stun skill if the enemy keeps blocking.

Also the way the map works. The map is really limiting. I thought it would be more open, so I was really confused when the game told me to "go to X on the world map" for the first time. I tried just flying there, but you can't, you need to fast travel on the world map. Also trying to fly over some mountains will turn you around, because you're to high up, and you can't go there.

Then there's the useless stuff. Boring sidequests that are limited by story progress (easy to miss, but apparantly you can go back in time after the story). A skill tree that requires extra "training" to unlock. (And then there are cases that you can unlock a skill by training, and then cannot equip it). The cooking and Vehicle building pretty useless. The community boards give some nice little boosts, but also pretty useless in the end, because the game is fairly easy to begin with. No need to do any real min-maxing to get the best out of your characters.

I like the encyclopedia, I like completing it and reading through it, but even that is pretty bad functionally. No way to "read all" and you just have to browse throug the pages to find where the new stuff is (rather than "go to next new" button or something).

All in all a disappointing game for me. 

Edited by Ric
spacing