Sony Customer Service allegation: PS3/Vita store IS closing

Hey guys just a heads up! I had a lovely conversation with a customer rep over at Sony while trying to deal with the fact that all my ps3/vita plus games have been removed from my download list. The agent mentioned that games are slowly being removed for purchase, over the next 6 months. Then all content will be gone from purchase through the psn store, but will be purchasable through third party vendors! 

That's right, when Sony tried to unceremoniously and suddenly close the stores and faced major backlash, they decided to kill it quietly instead. An official announcement is forthcoming apparently. Maybe they are throwing GameStop a bone ?

Either way it sucks but you have been forewarned. 

PS, the agent was probably not supposed to tell me that hahahaha!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The Sony CEO confirmed months ago the PS3 and Vita stores were staying open and the announced closures had been scrapped. That Customer Service rep is massively behind the times and ill informed so I wouldn't believe a single word they say.

Or, Sony told you a bunch of bullshit to keep PS5 sales high at the crest of a new hardware generation and the legacy stuff is going away regardless.

• Like 3

Just now, Helyx said:

Or, Sony told you a bunch of bullshit to keep PS5 sales high at the crest of a new hardware generation and the legacy stuff is going away regardless.

PS5s were already selling faster than Sony could make them even before the U-Turn, so I doubt it.

It’s easier to believe that a customer service rep has old info, than that a CEO would risk further damaging the reputation of his company by doing a second U-Turn, and trying to do it ‘on the sly’, knowing full well that all gaming media outlets will be watching like hawks for any sign of this, ready to swoop.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

do it ‘on the sly’

I hope for the best and plan for the worst. Hopefully we don't have to refer this thread (and several others) in the future as an "I told you so".

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

PS5s were already selling faster than Sony could make them even before the U-Turn, so I doubt it.

It’s easier to believe that a customer service rep has old info, than that a CEO would risk further damaging the reputation of his company by doing a second U-Turn, and trying to do it ‘on the sly’, knowing full well that all gaming media outlets will be watching like hawks for any sign of this, ready to swoop.

But my uncle who works at Nintendo told me this was true!

• Like 1

I am aware this was just a customer service rep, and it's just meant to be a heads up for what COULD be coming down the pipeline. Although I could not find unmechanical extended on the store for ps3 after I played it on ps4, which was what alerted me to my initial problem. I know the store is glitchy though and sometimes games just don't show up, so it will be hard to confirm..

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

If they did pull a fast one and lie to everyone, the backlash won't be pretty.

This. 100x this.

Sony isn't going to 'pull' content. They may pull their own first party titles, and some 3rd party stuff may get delisted, but that is going to be on a case by case, publisher by publisher basis. As an example, I think almost all of the Atlus games are gone now (Lost Dimension, Dungeon Travelers, Utawarerumono)

But I don't think Sony can just implement a unilateral delisting.

And those devs that have supported Vita will be all over this on Twitter and we would know about this by now (like with the store closure)

11 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This^

The Sony CEO confirmed months ago the PS3 and Vita stores were staying open and the announced closures had been scrapped. That Customer Service rep is massively behind the times and ill informed so I wouldn't believe a single word they say.

To be clear, I brought up the store closure as a possible reason for missing games. It was then that he mentioned games would be removed slowly. That is not old information, as the initial plan was to shutter the whole thing at once. Misinformation maybe, but not old information 

They have been delisting games over the years, they will just continue doing that until you can't buy anything anymore... Thats not a surprise, I just don't think that all of that will happen on 6 months, we should already have seen tons of games delisted in this 2 months otherwise...

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

And those devs that have supported Vita will be all over this on Twitter and we would know about this by now (like with the store closure)

This is clearly not true. You can see by the last minute crunch all the Vita devs were doing completely unaware Sony was trying to kill the system.

@breathofwater

8 minutes ago, TheQueenOfHurts_ said:

To be clear, I brought up the store closure as a possible reason for missing games.

Delisted games have nothing to do with your games being missing from your download list.

Your missing games is from incompetent engineers on Sonys side. Delisted games are decided by publishers. Delisted games will not affect people's purchased titles.

39 minutes ago, TheQueenOfHurts_ said:

Hey guys just a heads up! I had a lovely conversation with a customer rep over at Sony while trying to deal with the fact that all my ps3/vita plus games have been removed from my download list. The agent mentioned that games are slowly being removed for purchase, over the next 6 months. Then all content will be gone from purchase through the psn store, but will be purchasable through third party vendors! 

That's right, when Sony tried to unceremoniously and suddenly close the stores and faced major backlash, they decided to kill it quietly instead. An official announcement is forthcoming apparently. Maybe they are throwing GameStop a bone 1f606.png

Either way it sucks but you have been forewarned. 

PS, the agent was probably not supposed to tell me that hahahaha!!!

As long as I can still download everything that I actually have purchased directly with my money through the download list and didn't get with plus I'm fine with it 

If this were true it would hurt Sony way more than if they just went ahead with the closure as first intended, they would not only be breaking their word but also lying to everyone's faces and it's kinda silly to think no one would notice the games are slowly vanishing, that would be a scummy and shady dickmove, tbf if I had a coin for every rumor the all reliable costumer service provided I'd have all the ice cream I can eat, plus customer service don't get information like that they are the last to know.

5 minutes ago, Lonemankane said:

if this is true, never let sony forget and make them know by hurting them where it really hurts in their wallet by not buying anything from them again or even buying another console

Sorry, they publish great games and make great consoles. I have had my fun with the ps3 and only use it once in a blue moon. The last purchase I made on it was probably 7 years ago. I agree they shouldn't shut down the service, but people are hardly going to stop buying from Sony if they are a PlayStation fan. 

• Like 1

A big reason the store was initially closing was likely due to contracts expiring and them no longer being able to sell the games. Games being slowly removed is going to happen as these contracts expire. It's not some kind of nefarious scheme.

Also, take anything a customer service rep says with a grain of salt. I worked at a call center for a cell phone company, and we were constantly given outdated information and a lot of people who worked there didn't even own a cell phone. These people are rarely experts. Many also lied to appease customers, so that their ratings would go up, since we got bonuses for being in the top rated each month.

• Like 1