Emmajessica12's measly trophy log

emmajessica12

On 13/07/2021 at 11:47 AM, emmajessica12 said:

Yeah, I think having all the Lego games would be a lovely collection, I love how the trophies seem different for the Vita (but the same levels I’m guessing), so that gives me an excuse to pick them up and play them again haha. Yeah my boyfriend has played Lego Hobbit and it seems a better game than Lego Lord of the Rings. I think doing the magic as Gandalf was too janky and the game needed a little more polishing. Yes! I would spent a get chunk of money if they would do that with Lego Dimensions. I love Doctor Who and would love to play the Lego Dimensions Doctor Who levels!

Ah, yeah I’ve heard somethings about the jumprope mini game. I wish you luck! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to platinum a Final Fantasy game. But I’m looking forward to the day I sit and play one!

That's a pretty good analysis of Lego Lord of the Rings yeah, it is just a bit janky and unpolished.. Lego Hobbit pretty much refines everything nicely to be much more playable.. It's got a fairly decent crafting system too, which is a bit unusual for a Lego game, but it ends up amounting to more than just, you need "x amount of studs" so it has a tiny bit more depth to that aspect than I was expecting.

WOW!! A Doctor Who fan too, that's unexpected.. Very awesome though. I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who myself, I was light heartedly bullied quite a lot at school for being a fan of the show.. This was back in the 90's before it had come back to television so I was just watching them all on the VHS tapes.That's when I really fell in love with the show.. I bet they felt like proper arses after the show returned to TV in 2005 and found that they all ended up liking it too.  Spooky... My interest in Lego Dimensions actually came from the Doctor Who levels. I pretty much was sold on Lego Dimensions the minute I saw the Evil of the Daleks Easter Egg in a YouTube video, that almost made me want to buy the crazy expensive things just to play that for myself, but then common sense kicked in... ?

If you haven't played it and you are able to get a copy of it.. I'd totally recommend getting a copy of Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock.. It's a pretty solid game, with a good variety of puzzles and actual variations in its gameplay. Plenty of really awesome Easter Eggs too for a fellow Whovian. Even if you didn't end up going for the platinum it's very fun just to play through it. I don't think it's anything more than about 10 hours long either, shorter if you skipped the cutscenes obviously. But why would you, unless you were going for the speedrun trophy.

Don't worry about being able to platinum a Final Fantasy game or not. You've got a very positive outlook when it comes to both games and trophies by the looks of things, so I wouldn't prioritise going for the platinum's in them unless you were really motivated to. There are some that are definitely worth just playing through and experiencing though. Final Fantasy X is a hell of a game, which has probably at least 40 hours added to it by the platinum. Great game though, If you wanted to experience a really special and touching story. Although I really don't want to come across as if I'm preaching to you what you should or shouldn't play either - it's obviously entirely up to you. As long as you are enjoying yourself whilst doing it.

Update one!

Platinum #8 - Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4.

I finally did it. This is probably the weakest Lego game I have played (I have only played Lord of the Rings but have seen my boyfriend play The Hobbit). The main reason for this is the lack of a map. In Lego Lord of the Rings there was a map that told you where all the collectibles in the game was. However this one doesn’t have a map at all (even though the maurauders map exists!) therefore to find the collectibles around Hogwarts you have to make your way around all of the rooms and hope you don’t miss anything. This is alright once you have find the red bricks and can turn on the detectors. Another thing I didn’t like about this game, was the stupid amount of ‘bonus levels’ in the game. There is 10 in the bank, which you have to complete as they reward you with a gold brick for finishing them, and then there’s the usual bonus level when you get all gold bricks, which you have to do as it gives you Voldemort. Then there’s the 5 ‘build mode’ levels you have to do for a trophy. I just felt like these were a waste of time.

However, this does have all the charm and humour of the other Lego games which is mainly what I play them for. I loved how they captured the scenes etc. with no voice acting. And I did enjoy running around Hogwarts interacting with the portraits etc. and doing all the different spells.

I am planning on playing Years 5-7 at some point in the future. Looking at the trophy list it seems a lot easier than this one is. It has certainly made me excited to buy and play other Lego games. 

Currently Playing!

Now that I have finished Lego Harry Potter, I have started Tearaway Unfolded. I am planning on this game being my 9th platinum. I’m also going to start playing a little more Dragon Quest XI which I’m wanting to be my 10th platinum so it’s on my trophy milestones!

I’ve also got round to adding my PS4 backlog to the original post, in case anyone wants to be nosy. I personally love looking at people’s backlog games. PS3 and Vita are incoming.

• Like 4

nice work ? 

I never did the Years 1-4 Lego game, though I did do the 5-7 one - it’s… alright, but still ‘lesser Lego’ in comparison to some others I think. They are never bad, but some are definitely weaker than others.

Teraway coming up though!

Loved that game - charm coming out every fold! (See what I did there ?)

I only ever did the vita version, but I’m sure the Unfolded version keeps what made it great - enjoy ? 

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

nice work 1f44d.png 

I never did the Years 1-4 Lego game, though I did do the 5-7 one - it’s… alright, but still ‘lesser Lego’ in comparison to some others I think. They are never bad, but some are definitely weaker than others.

Teraway coming up though!

Loved that game - charm coming out every fold! (See what I did there 1f609.png)

I only ever did the vita version, but I’m sure the Unfolded version keeps what made it great - enjoy 1f60a.png 

Yeah, I think the same, I wouldn’t say any of them I have played are bad, just some are definitely better than others are.

I’m really hoping to play the Vita version of Tearaway at some point! But I managed to pick the PS4 version up pretty cheap last week and I’ve been looking at it for ages. So instead of playing one of the games in my backlog that I’ve had a while I decided to pick up the newest one ? also love the little pun you threw in there!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emmajessica12 said:

Yeah, I think the same, I wouldn’t say any of them I have played are bad, just some are definitely better than others are.

I’m really hoping to play the Vita version of Tearaway at some point! But I managed to pick the PS4 version up pretty cheap last week and I’ve been looking at it for ages. So instead of playing one of the games in my backlog that I’ve had a while I decided to pick up the newest one 1f602.png also love the little pun you threw in there!!

Awesome stuff!! That is a shockingly accurate view of Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 ?.... The map would have made it so much less of a chore when clearing up collectibles.. Lego City Undercover unfortunately suffers from that problem, but about 10 times worse as it has like 400 + Gold bricks ? instead of the usual 200-ish amount. The collectibles aren't put on the map for you either, so you have to scan them from this little thing, that I think is a hang-over from it being a Wii-U game, where you had to get a tablet thing out and physically scan the area, for the activities and collectible things.

Looking forward to what you and DrBloodmoney (I don't think you've applied  science to that yet, if you have I must of missed it) think of Tearaway... I've owned that game for ages, but not actually touched it yet, so I'd love it if that ended up being one of those surprise games that ends up being really enjoyable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Awesome stuff!! That is a shockingly accurate view of Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 1f602.png.... The map would have made it so much less of a chore when clearing up collectibles.. Lego City Undercover unfortunately suffers from that problem, but about 10 times worse as it has like 400 + Gold bricks 1f631.png instead of the usual 200-ish amount. The collectibles aren't put on the map for you either, so you have to scan them from this little thing, that I think is a hang-over from it being a Wii-U game, where you had to get a tablet thing out and physically scan the area, for the activities and collectible things.

Looking forward to what you and DrBloodmoney (I don't think you've applied  science to that yet, if you have I must of missed it) think of Tearaway... I've owned that game for ages, but not actually touched it yet, so I'd love it if that ended up being one of those surprise games that ends up being really enjoyable.

I only played and platinumed the PS4 version of the game and I highly recommend it. It's an unique but great game.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Awesome stuff!! That is a shockingly accurate view of Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 ?.... The map would have made it so much less of a chore when clearing up collectibles.. Lego City Undercover unfortunately suffers from that problem, but about 10 times worse as it has like 400 + Gold bricks ? instead of the usual 200-ish amount. The collectibles aren't put on the map for you either, so you have to scan them from this little thing, that I think is a hang-over from it being a Wii-U game, where you had to get a tablet thing out and physically scan the area, for the activities and collectible things.

Yeah, I knew going into the game it would be a bit of a grind, I mean all Lego games have it, but I thought I would get a map to make it slightly easier haha. Ah, that’s a shame about Lego City Undercover, that’s one that I’m really looking forward to. Thank you for the heads up! I’ll make sure I’m in the mood for a grind when I pick it up ?

So far, I’m enjoying Tearaway Unfolded. I’ve done two levels and love the concept, I’m usually not very good at platform games as my depth perception is shocking in games haha. But it’s a cool platform game, and I love having to colour and draw items etc.

So far, I would recommend it, after playing Ni No Kuni and Lego Harry Potter it’s a fun game to play. Although, the trophies for collecting everything is quite low so that might be a little bit of a grind. So yeah, if you ever feel like you need something different I would say give it a go (but bare in mind I haven’t played loads of games so my opinion might suck haha ?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emmajessica12 said:

Yeah, I knew going into the game it would be a bit of a grind, I mean all Lego games have it, but I thought I would get a map to make it slightly easier haha. Ah, that’s a shame about Lego City Undercover, that’s one that I’m really looking forward to. Thank you for the heads up! I’ll make sure I’m in the mood for a grind when I pick it up 1f602.png

So far, I’m enjoying Tearaway Unfolded. I’ve done two levels and love the concept, I’m usually not very good at platform games as my depth perception is shocking in games haha. But it’s a cool platform game, and I love having to colour and draw items etc.

So far, I would recommend it, after playing Ni No Kuni and Lego Harry Potter it’s a fun game to play. Although, the trophies for collecting everything is quite low so that might be a little bit of a grind. So yeah, if you ever feel like you need something different I would say give it a go (but bare in mind I haven’t played loads of games so my opinion might suck haha 1f602.png)

EVERY OPINION IS A VALID ONE!!! - Don't worry about how many games you have or haven't played, you should never feel like you can't voice your opinion based on the amount of games you've played - even though I'm pretty sure you're being light hearted at the end there :D. Looking at your PS4 backlog ( yes, I was nosy haha!! ?) you've got an absolute gold mine of awesome games that you could play out of all of those..   I appreciate the input from both yourself and @ShadyWARcotix, I'll definitely have to give Tearaway a spin at some point.. I love games that are trying to do something a little different, so it sounds like it should be a good experience.

Don't be put off by Lego City Undercover being a little grindy - that's more the trophy requirements. The game itself is fantastic, pretty much unlike most of the other Lego games.  Of all the Lego games that have their own sort of unique story I'd say that Undercover has one of, if not the best original story.. It has really strong Lego humour, which some of the jokes are just, so childish ( but hilarious) I laughed way too much at someone saying the word COMPUPER, instead of COMPUTER than I'd like to admit, for someone that was 29 at the time of playing it.. Frank Honey is  just one of those characters that should have derp tattooed across his face or something. If you find it too grindy, just give the platinum a miss or something.. It's a great game I thought.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

EVERY OPINION IS A VALID ONE!!! - Don't worry about how many games you have or haven't played, you should never feel like you can't voice your opinion based on the amount of games you've played - even though I'm pretty sure you're being light hearted at the end there :D. Looking at your PS4 backlog ( yes, I was nosy haha!! ?) you've got an absolute gold mine of awesome games that you could play out of all of those..   I appreciate the input from both yourself and @ShadyWARcotix, I'll definitely have to give Tearaway a spin at some point.. I love games that are trying to do something a little different, so it sounds like it should be a good experience.

Don't be put off by Lego City Undercover being a little grindy - that's more the trophy requirements. The game itself is fantastic, pretty much unlike most of the other Lego games.  Of all the Lego games that have their own sort of unique story I'd say that Undercover has one of, if not the best original story.. It has really strong Lego humour, which some of the jokes are just, so childish ( but hilarious) I laughed way too much at someone saying the word COMPUPER, instead of COMPUTER than I'd like to admit, for someone that was 29 at the time of playing it.. Frank Honey is  just one of those characters that should have derp tattooed across his face or something. If you find it too grindy, just give the platinum a miss or something.. It's a great game I thought.

Yeah I am mainly joking, I’ve seen some people on various threads that are like ‘you haven’t played most games in existence so your opinion is not valid. But I like to think the whole point of this thread is me, shouting my opinions out, and some people might read it and interact ?. 
Which games out of my backlog would you recommend the most? I always struggle with my picking my next game as I want to play everything ?

I’m definitely going to play Lego City Undercover at some point. But I could never play a Lego game back to back. I think I would go insane. I’ve seen the trailer on Amazon for it and it looks so funny! I’m holding out for a deal on the Lego games. Last year in August Amazon had 2 for £25 on Lego games that’s when I picked up Harry Potter collection and The Hobbit. So I’m hoping for something similar soon so I can pick up two more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emmajessica12 said:

Yeah I am mainly joking, I’ve seen some people on various threads that are like ‘you haven’t played most games in existence so your opinion is not valid. But I like to think the whole point of this thread is me, shouting my opinions out, and some people might read it and interact 1f602.png
Which games out of my backlog would you recommend the most? I always struggle with my picking my next game as I want to play everything 1f602.png

I’m definitely going to play Lego City Undercover at some point. But I could never play a Lego game back to back. I think I would go insane. I’ve seen the trailer on Amazon for it and it looks so funny! I’m holding out for a deal on the Lego games. Last year in August Amazon had 2 for £25 on Lego games that’s when I picked up Harry Potter collection and The Hobbit. So I’m hoping for something similar soon so I can pick up two more.

I thought so, I just wanted to make sure.. I don't know why people feel the need to get on peoples cases, just because they haven't played as many games as them, It seems really futile - and ultimately achieves nothing, apart from making someone feel lousy.

You are a 100% right, this is YOUR space, to shout your opinions, which is exactly as it should be. So I guess if people come in here and tell you that you aren't allowed to voice yours based solely on how many trophies you have or games you've played, I'm sure you or plenty of other people will tell them where the exit is. Although that is so unlikely to happen in this area of the forums as everyone here seems to be particularly friendly, so thankfully that won't probably ever be a problem.

I think there were quite a few good deals on Lego games on Amazon last year, I got the Lego Marvel Collection for I think £30 - which for 3 games plus all their DLC I thought was a pretty good price actually. Fingers crossed they'll have a similar one this year so you can get a copy of Lego City Undercover.

As for your backlog.... Oooohhhh.... That's a tough one ? - would be easier if you didn't have a huge selection of quality titles to choose from.. You're playing Dragon Quest XI right now aren't you, so I think I'll steer away from recommending anything particularly JRPG flavoured, because those are particularly long and playing them back to back can get you burnt out quite easily.  Okami HD is a fantastic game I think, I don't think even the platinum is anything longer than about 25 hours, but even just playing through the game is a great time.. It has a beautifully unique art style too... Life is Strange 1 might not be a bad option to have as a game where you play an episode whenever you feel like it, it's quite good in that regard as you have the whole thing.. Although you might get a bit hooked after episode 3 and not be able to put it down.     :D Like you said, playing Lego games back to back is a bit of a no-no, so those are out. NieR Automata is a great game, but that's another one that's quite a time sink, even without taking the trophy shop into the equation. I know you like Lord of the Rings/ Middle Earth based games, so Shadow of Mordor might be a fun one to pick up, although depending on if you are a Tolkien purist or not, some of the ideas they introduce might get under your skin a bit, I'm fine with them myself, but I know others who aren't. I'll give one more for now and I guess that's Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer (not Ripto's Rage - it was never that for us UK folk ?) It's just a very fun time, it's nice, relaxing, vibrantly colourful and only about 8-10 hours long.. 

Obviously these are just suggestions, you've got to play what you want to. When you want to, but there's a huge load of games on your backlog that are excellent so it was hard to narrow a few down.. I so wanted to say Bound by Flame, but I'm in the minority of people who enjoy that game haha :D. I was too tempted to just say Yakuza 0-6 for all of them, but they are a huge time investment. You've got plenty of choice there though, amongst your backlog, which is awesome. I'd personally rather have plenty of choice and variety like you do, than not. I Think that's why I keep adding to mine.

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I thought so, I just wanted to make sure.. I don't know why people feel the need to get on peoples cases, just because they haven't played as many games as them, It seems really futile - and ultimately achieves nothing, apart from making someone feel lousy.

You are a 100% right, this is YOUR space, to shout your opinions, which is exactly as it should be. So I guess if people come in here and tell you that you aren't allowed to voice yours based solely on how many trophies you have or games you've played, I'm sure you or plenty of other people will tell them where the exit is. Although that is so unlikely to happen in this area of the forums as everyone here seems to be particularly friendly, so thankfully that won't probably ever be a problem.

I completely agree with this. It's nice to hear opinions from different people regardless of how much gaming experience they have. If anything, the more games you play, you should be able to look at what people liked playing and be able to recommend games that would suit their tastes, rather than putting down their opinions of games they played. I actually think it's refreshing hearing from people that aren't jaded by comparing games to others when they review them and enjoying them regardless. Everyone's opinion when it comes to video games is valid.

That being said, here is my take on the Lego games, even though I only played 3 (2 on PS4 and 1 on Steam) ?. Playing through them for the sake of playing through them makes them very enjoyable and I think they have some funny humor for all ages. If you are looking to collect everything for trophies, it starts to really make it into a grind. Lego City Undercover was my 2nd Lego game played and I really enjoyed it, I think they really improved from older titles, like the one I played most recently Lego Marvel Super Heros, picked up that game within a 3-pack and haven't wanted to go back to the other 2 yet...

Talking about Harry Potter, I've been curious to pick up the Lego Harry Potter games as my wife is reading through the books again this summer and I'm watching the movies for the first time each time she finishes a book, then I get to have her angry veteran Harry Potter commentary as we watch them. Not sure if the games would make a good enough excuse to fill in some of the holes in the story that the movies did a bad job at explaining. That or maybe I should just suck it up and read them...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

I completely agree with this. It's nice to hear opinions from different people regardless of how much gaming experience they have. If anything, the more games you play, you should be able to look at what people liked playing and be able to recommend games that would suit their tastes, rather than putting down their opinions of games they played. I actually think it's refreshing hearing from people that aren't jaded by comparing games to others when they review them and enjoying them regardless. Everyone's opinion when it comes to video games is valid.

That being said, here is my take on the Lego games, even though I only played 3 (2 on PS4 and 1 on Steam) 1f61d.png. Playing through them for the sake of playing through them makes them very enjoyable and I think they have some funny humor for all ages. If you are looking to collect everything for trophies, it starts to really make it into a grind. Lego City Undercover was my 2nd Lego game played and I really enjoyed it, I think they really improved from older titles, like the one I played most recently Lego Marvel Super Heros, picked up that game within a 3-pack and haven't wanted to go back to the other 2 yet...

Talking about Harry Potter, I've been curious to pick up the Lego Harry Potter games as my wife is reading through the books again this summer and I'm watching the movies for the first time each time she finishes a book, then I get to have her angry veteran Harry Potter commentary as we watch them. Not sure if the games would make a good enough excuse to fill in some of the holes in the story that the movies did a bad job at explaining. That or maybe I should just suck it up and read them...

Well said Grotz!

On the subject of those Lego Marvel games - I liked the first Lego Marvel Super Heroes, but I really struggled to engage  with the Marvel Super Heroes 2, I don't think it helped that I wasn't really in the best place mentally when I played it, (it was last Christmas, when we were all super locked down and couldn't even see our families) but that game has too much busy work even for a Lego title. It does make some pretty good use of some quite niche Marvel characters that don't really get much wide exposure, so if that's your thing, that will definitely be a selling point.. It's a shame they added "challenges" on top of the usual do x mission for x character to unlock x, sort of formula because those challenges just felt like extra padding on an already large game.. I could never say it was a bad game though, it's just like you said, some of the trophy requirements make it a bit of a grind.

I like both Lego Harry Potter titles myself, might be worth a play after you've seen the films, if you're still interested. You'll definitely get a few things from the games that the movies miss out, but it's more character Easter Eggs and that kind of thing.. I do have a suggestion regarding the books though - and obviously feel free to ignore it, it's just a suggestion after all. I think I'd recommend you pick up the audio books of Harry Potter, they are a really good companion to a bit of mindless grinding in games, might be good for you ever decide to go back and chase down the Platinum in Tales of Vesperia -  or you could chill out and enjoy them alongside your wife. I think I listened to the entire 7th book whilst I was doing some of the clean-up and resource gathering on Judgment last year, which made it go by nice and smoothly. 

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I think there were quite a few good deals on Lego games on Amazon last year, I got the Lego Marvel Collection for I think £30 - which for 3 games plus all their DLC I thought was a pretty good price actually. Fingers crossed they'll have a similar one this year so you can get a copy of Lego City Undercover.

As for your backlog.... Oooohhhh.... That's a tough one 1f602.png - would be easier if you didn't have a huge selection of quality titles to choose from.. You're playing Dragon Quest XI right now aren't you, so I think I'll steer away from recommending anything particularly JRPG flavoured, because those are particularly long and playing them back to back can get you burnt out quite easily.  Okami HD is a fantastic game I think, I don't think even the platinum is anything longer than about 25 hours, but even just playing through the game is a great time.. It has a beautifully unique art style too... Life is Strange 1 might not be a bad option to have as a game where you play an episode whenever you feel like it, it's quite good in that regard as you have the whole thing.. Although you might get a bit hooked after episode 3 and not be able to put it down.     :D Like you said, playing Lego games back to back is a bit of a no-no, so those are out. NieR Automata is a great game, but that's another one that's quite a time sink, even without taking the trophy shop into the equation. I know you like Lord of the Rings/ Middle Earth based games, so Shadow of Mordor might be a fun one to pick up, although depending on if you are a Tolkien purist or not, some of the ideas they introduce might get under your skin a bit, I'm fine with them myself, but I know others who aren't. I'll give one more for now and I guess that's Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer (not Ripto's Rage - it was never that for us UK folk 1f602.png) It's just a very fun time, it's nice, relaxing, vibrantly colourful and only about 8-10 hours long.. 

Obviously these are just suggestions, you've got to play what you want to. When you want to, but there's a huge load of games on your backlog that are excellent so it was hard to narrow a few down.. I so wanted to say Bound by Flame, but I'm in the minority of people who enjoy that game haha :D. I was too tempted to just say Yakuza 0-6 for all of them, but they are a huge time investment. You've got plenty of choice there though, amongst your backlog, which is awesome. I'd personally rather have plenty of choice and variety like you do, than not. I Think that's why I keep adding to mine.

My thoughts exactly, I quite like writing mini reviews on here and I would continue to do so even if nobody was reading it haha.

Yeah, that’s why I wouldn’t buy a Lego game full price, Amazon has so many offers it seems silly to! Wow( that was an amazing deal for the Lego Marvel Collection! 
As for the games you have recommended they are all quite high up my backlog list (although to be fair the order of the list changes multiple times a day). I loved the frost Spyro game so I’m quite excited to play the second one, but seeing as I am awful at platformers I will probably leave it a while after Tearaway before I pick it. Shadows of Mordor could be a good choice once I’ve finished Dragon Quest. I’ve been thinking of playing an action RPG sort of game. I recently picked up Pathfinder: Kingmaker and it’s gotten me in the mood for that sort of game.

My boyfriend started playing Bound by Flame at the beginning of the month (but stopped playing it due to having too many games on the go at once haha) and it doesn’t look bad to be fair. I was surprised when I was reading the ‘worst ps4 game you have played’ or something forum post and saw it was mentioned. It’s definitely something I would like to play, it seems like an old school action game. I played a lot of Champions of Norrath on PS2 as a young child/ teen so I’m excited to see if it’s something like that.

I do really want to play a Yakuza game, I pick them up and look at them all the time. I definitely don’t think I will be getting the platinum on any of them. But I cannot wait to just play them and enjoy myself and get all the trophies within my reach.

Yeah, I don’t think I will ever have a small backlog. I hate the idea of only having a handful of games to pick from to play. As hard as it is to pick a game sometimes I would rather have too many to pick from compared to playing a game I don’t feel like playing because I don’t have a choice.

12 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

That being said, here is my take on the Lego games, even though I only played 3 (2 on PS4 and 1 on Steam) 1f61d.png. Playing through them for the sake of playing through them makes them very enjoyable and I think they have some funny humor for all ages. If you are looking to collect everything for trophies, it starts to really make it into a grind. Lego City Undercover was my 2nd Lego game played and I really enjoyed it, I think they really improved from older titles, like the one I played most recently Lego Marvel Super Heros, picked up that game within a 3-pack and haven't wanted to go back to the other 2 yet...

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well said Grotz!

On the subject of those Lego Marvel games - I liked the first Lego Marvel Super Heroes, but I really struggled to engage  with the Marvel Super Heroes 2, I don't think it helped that I wasn't really in the best place mentally when I played it, (it was last Christmas, when we were all super locked down and couldn't even see our families) but that game has too much busy work even for a Lego title. It does make some pretty good use of some quite niche Marvel characters that don't really get much wide exposure, so if that's your thing, that will definitely be a selling point.. It's a shame they added "challenges" on top of the usual do x mission for x character to unlock x, sort of formula because those challenges just felt like extra padding on an already large game.. I could never say it was a bad game though, it's just like you said, some of the trophy requirements make it a bit of a grind.

I like both Lego Harry Potter titles myself, might be worth a play after you've seen the films, if you're still interested. You'll definitely get a few things from the games that the movies miss out, but it's more character Easter Eggs and that kind of thing.. I do have a suggestion regarding the books though - and obviously feel free to ignore it, it's just a suggestion after all. I think I'd recommend you pick up the audio books of Harry Potter, they are a really good companion to a bit of mindless grinding in games, might be good for you ever decide to go back and chase down the Platinum in Tales of Vesperia -  or you could chill out and enjoy them alongside your wife. I think I listened to the entire 7th book whilst I was doing some of the clean-up and resource gathering on Judgment last year, which made it go by nice and smoothly. 

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I’ve read the books multiple times and have seen the films more than I can remember. I’m definitely in the ‘books are better’ camp. The Lego Games follow the movies with bits from the films like rjkclarke said, the books have way more characters in (that are cooler than some of the ones they decided to keep!) I would definitely recommend reading the books if you get the chance! But the rjkclarke said the audiobooks could be a good shout. I’ve heard great things about them I believe Stephen Fry does the audio for them and people say he does a great job. I personally don’t get on with audiobooks, I lose concentrate after a while and then realise I haven’t been listening and have to go back.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

7 hours ago, emmajessica12 said:

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I’ve read the books multiple times and have seen the films more than I can remember. I’m definitely in the ‘books are better’ camp. The Lego Games follow the movies with bits from the films like rjkclarke said, the books have way more characters in (that are cooler than some of the ones they decided to keep!) I would definitely recommend reading the books if you get the chance! But the rjkclarke said the audiobooks could be a good shout. I’ve heard great things about them I believe Stephen Fry does the audio for them and people say he does a great job. I personally don’t get on with audiobooks, I lose concentrate after a while and then realise I haven’t been listening and have to go back.

This might be a good idea, I've never really done audio books, but I'm willing to give it a go. I use to put on movies or tv shows I've watched before in the background while grinding in games that were a nice distraction, especially if they are comedies or I would pause when an awesome scene would come up. The question would be if I can balance paying enough attention to the story being told to me while I do mindless stuff either in a RPG like the Tales games or the minigames in Yakuza.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

This might be a good idea, I've never really done audio books, but I'm willing to give it a go. I use to put on movies or tv shows I've watched before in the background while grinding in games that were a nice distraction, especially if they are comedies or I would pause when an awesome scene would come up. The question would be if I can balance paying enough attention to the story being told to me while I do mindless stuff either in a RPG like the Tales games or the minigames in Yakuza.

I listen to quite a lot of audiobooks - mostly i stick to in the car for stuff I haven't any previous familiarity with (driving is a pretty good time to take in the info) but I do sometimes listen when gaming (grindy stuff usually.)

They can be great for that - though it helps if they are ones you can miss some details and still keep up - eg. a book you've already read before, but are enjoying a re-read (well, re-listen, I guess!) or if it's a story you know a little bit (say from the films) but haven't read the book.

I'd imagine if you have seen those Harry Potter movies, but not read the books, it would work a charm - you probably wouldn't completely lose the plot if you got distracted for a few minutes - assuming the movies didn't deviate wildly from the books of course! (full disclosure - I've not seen the movies or read the books, but it's my understanding (from my HP obsessed sisters!) the films were relatively faithful adaptations.)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, emmajessica12 said:

My thoughts exactly, I quite like writing mini reviews on here and I would continue to do so even if nobody was reading it haha.

Yeah, that’s why I wouldn’t buy a Lego game full price, Amazon has so many offers it seems silly to! Wow( that was an amazing deal for the Lego Marvel Collection! 
As for the games you have recommended they are all quite high up my backlog list (although to be fair the order of the list changes multiple times a day). I loved the frost Spyro game so I’m quite excited to play the second one, but seeing as I am awful at platformers I will probably leave it a while after Tearaway before I pick it. Shadows of Mordor could be a good choice once I’ve finished Dragon Quest. I’ve been thinking of playing an action RPG sort of game. I recently picked up Pathfinder: Kingmaker and it’s gotten me in the mood for that sort of game.

My boyfriend started playing Bound by Flame at the beginning of the month (but stopped playing it due to having too many games on the go at once haha) and it doesn’t look bad to be fair. I was surprised when I was reading the ‘worst ps4 game you have played’ or something forum post and saw it was mentioned. It’s definitely something I would like to play, it seems like an old school action game. I played a lot of Champions of Norrath on PS2 as a young child/ teen so I’m excited to see if it’s something like that.

I do really want to play a Yakuza game, I pick them up and look at them all the time. I definitely don’t think I will be getting the platinum on any of them. But I cannot wait to just play them and enjoy myself and get all the trophies within my reach.

Yeah, I don’t think I will ever have a small backlog. I hate the idea of only having a handful of games to pick from to play. As hard as it is to pick a game sometimes I would rather have too many to pick from compared to playing a game I don’t feel like playing because I don’t have a choice.

That's the right attitude to have I think, write the stuff regardless of whether you think people will read it or not. Looks like lot's of people will though, so that's awesome.That was exactly my mindset when I started doing this a couple of months ago.. I was basically like, right, I have all this stuff to say about these games, if people like them or read them great, if they don't at least I've got it written down somewhere I can look back on them fondly.

You'd be fine with Spyro 2 I expect. Platforming is a little more manageable in that title, because you have the hover move, so you can clear long distances a bit more comfortably.

I'd never heard of Champions of Norrath until you mentioned it just now, I just looked at some gameplay of it, I expect I probably would have liked that... Although if you liked it, I think you'd definitely like The Bards Tale Remastered (I picked it up on sale last year for about £1.99, so it's often fairly cheap to get hold of)- well that is if you can get past the games really dirty humour, and the fact the protagonist comes off as a sex pest. The game itself is a very fun time, from what I just saw of Champions of Norrath it's like that but with more magic and summoning. 

Bound by Flame isn't quite like that, it's similar though. I don't think I'd ever put it on any list of the worst games on PS4 list, or PS3 even. I think people need to be more lenient towards lower budget titles, there is a lot to like with Bound by Flame. The Technomancer by the same studio is  a much better game, but Bound by Flame, definitely has it's charm. I'm looking forward to playing Greedfall at some point, because that studio does seem to make a conscious effort to improve on its mistakes.

27 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:
8 hours ago, emmajessica12 said:

23 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I listen to quite a lot of audiobooks - mostly i stick to in the car for stuff I haven't any previous familiarity with (driving is a pretty good time to take in the info) but I do sometimes listen when gaming (grinds stuff usually.)

They can be great for that - though it helps if they are ones you can miss some details and still keep up - eg. a book you've already read before, but are enjoying a re-read (well, re-listen, I guess!) or if it's a story you know a little bit (say from the films) but haven't read the book,.

I'd imagine if you have seen those Harry Potter movies, but not read the books, it would work a charm - you probably wouldn't completely lose the plot if you got distracted for a few minutes - assuming the movies didn't deviate wildly from the books of course! (full disclosure - I've not seen the movies or read the books, but it's my understanding (from my HP obsessed sisters!) the films were relatively faithful adaptations.)

@Grotz99

You've got some sound advice up there from both @emmajessica12 and @DrBloodmoney - I'll add my probably less sound advice haha ?  - Although, I tend to only go for Audio's of things I've heard before if it's gaming specific  - if I'm specifically grinding, so radio comedy,  podcasts, audio books I've heard before that type of thing, usually means that I can tune out the grinding element, but have enough familiarity with what I'm listening to.

On your question of can you balance paying attention to the story you're hearing whilst also playing a mini-game or something in a Yakuza game, then yes you can. Or I can, so I expect obviously you could too, I vividly remember getting to a point where I was doing something so arbitrary in Tales of Xillia 2, where I was so much more invested in what I was listening to, think that was actually Harry Potter 5: Order of the Phoenix, that I was paying way more attention to that.

They are very good the Harry Potter audiobooks, I'm quite the Harry Potter fan myself, to a point at least, I wouldn't read every single sliver of information on Pottermore or anything like that, but I very much like them.. I'm in the camp of the books are better too, the films leave out way too many important scenes and details that really should have been there but weren't.  Stephen Fry puts absolutely everything he has into making those audiobooks come to life, I don't know if those ones are UK specific though, because there are also a version of the Audiobooks read by Jim Dale of Carry On film series fame, although I've not heard all of those, I think I've heard the first one, but those are meant to be very good too.

This one is even weirder, but there does exist a Star Wars Radio series, although I'm not exactly sure how you would get it these days, those are a very interesting listen if you are a Star Wars fan. Mark Hamill voices Luke too, so that's a nice bonus - and as DrBloodmoney loves a bit of John Lithgow (who doesn't?) he voices Yoda.. It's one of those odd little idiosyncratic pieces of media, that sort of exist but don't really get talked about. It expands on some scenes in a really interesting way, because there isn't any visuals obviously, so if I remember right, (I haven't heard it myself for about 8 years) there is a scene in the Empire Strikes Back series where there's some really interesting character development between Luke and Han as they talk a bit during the events after the "I thought they smelled bad..... On the outside" scene from the film, where Luke and Han are talking to one another for a good while.. It isn't perfect obviously, but it's another one that might be an interesting bit of background as you are plugging away at mini-games, grinding levels that kind of thing.

• Like 1

Weekly update time! 
No platinum trophies this week, however I’ve made quite a bit of progress within some games. I’ve temporarily stopped playing Tearaway Unfolded, it’s a great game but I think it would take me a while to platinum and I’m looking for a fairly short platinum for my 9th so I can play and finish Dragon Quest 11 for my 10th platinum (I really want it on my milestones).

I then intended to make Sims 4 my 9th platinum, however today I decided that’s going to take too long as well. If you don’t know there’s an RNG trophy linked to having a sim have triplets (which is like a 2% chance according to the Internet) and the skills are taking a while to max out. Don’t get me wrong I still fully plan on getting the platinum just not right now. I’m impatient and cannot hold off from playing Dragon Quest all time for much longer.

Therefore, this afternoon I decided to play Persona 3 Dancing. Now, I haven’t actually played Persona 3 yet (and I don’t know if I will honestly) therefore I’m not too interested in the story. However, I was really excited to play a rhythm game as I haven’t played one yet (apart from the Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody trailer) and I wanted to see what my thoughts were on them.

I managed to get 7 trophies in just over 16 minutes which helps me think I have made the right decision to play this so I can get platinum number 9. The game itself is really fun, even if I failed my first level due to missing too many buttons. I don’t think rhythm games are something I would want to play all the time. But, for a change and for something different I enjoyed those 16 minutes. I am hoping to get the platinum within a couple of days so I can invest all my time (when I’m not working ?) on Dragon Quest.

I normal don’t care about milestones and how quickly I get my platinum trophies however, I really want Dragon Quest 11 as my tenth platinum and on my milestones. I’ve only been playing it for about an hour at night and I can’t do that for much longer. I’m enjoying myself too much to hardly be playing it. On the other hand, I don’t want it as my 9th platinum and some other game as my 10th. I have fond memories of Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 so would love this one on my milestones for nostalgia and because it’s awesome!

So hopefully there will be another update soon with platinum 9 and it’s review!

• Like 2

Love those Persona Dancing games - and I’m in the same boat as you - played the Persona 3 one, but have never played Persona 3 ?

I started Persona games with P4 Golden, and played 5, and I’ve bought the first 3 on vita, but am only about halfway through the first one in my ‘Persona Historical Tour’ ?

Reckon you’ll easily get that platinum - they are good games, but never overly taxing, and unlocking modifiers means even a rhythm-free zone like me can beat them! 

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Love those Persona Dancing games - and I’m in the same boat as you - played the Persona 3 one, but have never played Persona 3 1f602.png

I started Persona games with P4 Golden, and played 5, and I’ve bought the first 3 on vita, but am only about halfway through the first one in my ‘Persona Historical Tour’ 1f61d.png

Reckon you’ll easily get that platinum - they are good games, but never overly taxing, and unlocking modifiers means even a rhythm-free zone like me can beat them! 

Ooh, I’m glad I’m not the only one! I plan on playing P4G and Persona 5 at some point as I own them, I just haven’t worked up the courage yet haha. We own Playstation TV so I’m planning on playing P4G on the TV. Might even be the next JRPG I play once I’ve played a few games after Dragon Quest. Yeah the platinum % is 49. something so I would feel daft if I didn’t get the platinum haha. I mean 7 trophies in 16 minutes is a record for me! I agree they aren’t overly taxing, as long as I don’t fumble anyway. I did 2 different songs but 1 I did twice and I find when I miss a note I start over thinking and miss quite a few ?.

But the songs/ music is incredible! I’ve seen Persona 4 anime, and I’ve seen my boyfriend play a bit of P5 and I love all the music I’ve heard. I’ve been humming the notes ever since I played it haha!

• Like 1

Just now, emmajessica12 said:

Ooh, I’m glad I’m not the only one! I plan on playing P4G and Persona 5 at some point as I own them, I just haven’t worked up the courage yet haha. We own Playstation TV so I’m planning on playing P4G on the TV. Might even be the next JRPG I play once I’ve played a few games after Dragon Quest. Yeah the platinum % is 49. something so I would feel daft if I didn’t get the platinum haha. I mean 7 trophies in 16 minutes is a record for me! I agree they aren’t overly taxing, as long as I don’t fumble anyway. I did 2 different songs but 1 I did twice and I find when I miss a note I start over thinking and miss quite a few 1f602.png.

But the songs/ music is incredible! I’ve seen Persona 4 anime, and I’ve seen my boyfriend play a bit of P5 and I love all the music I’ve heard. I’ve been humming the notes ever since I played it haha!

Yeah, the music is pretty outstanding across the board - I think personally Persona 5's music is my favourite (at least, to do in the dancing games), with P3 a close second, and P4 the lowest - though that's maybe more to do with how many times I've played P4 - I think maybe it's just a bit played out for me ?

Certainly, based on the P4 & P5 Dancing games, I really don't think you need to know much about the main games to enjoy the dancing ones - yeah, some background knowledge brings with it a love of specific characters, but they stand alone fairly well - and let's face it, we are here for the music, not the stories so much ?

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, the music is pretty outstanding across the board - I think personally Persona 5's music is my favourite (at least, to do in the dancing games), with P3 a close second, and P4 the lowest - though that's maybe more to do with how many times I've played P4 - I think maybe it's just a bit played out for me 1f602.png

Certainly, based on the P4 & P5 Dancing games, I really don't think you need to know much about the main games to enjoy the dancing ones - yeah, some background knowledge brings with it a love of specific characters, but they stand alone fairly well - and let's face it, we are here for the music, not the stories so much 1f44d.png

Yeah I heard the one from P5 (I don’t know the name) with the line about never seeing it coming and I get that song stuck in my head constantly. I think that’s the thing putting me off the games to be fair, I’m not ready to humming the music 24/7 ?. Dragon quest is bad enough haha. 
Yeah from what I can gather it’s a new story but sent after the event of P3 I’m guessing. I’m slightly lost and confused with the story but don’t want to look into it in case I do decide to play P3 at some point.

• Like 1

Another update because I’m proud/ happy it’s over for this one.

So little story time, I had just finished playing a few levels of P3 dancing (which I’m getting really good at!) and was looking through my trophies as I often like to do when I had a great idea. I decided to share the idea with my boyfriend. 

Me: ‘you know when I’ve finished Dragon Quest I might do my NG+ of Spider-Man for like an hour a day. Could get it finished off with a week or so I bet.’

Joe: ‘that’s a good idea and play another game alongside it so you are still earning some trophies?’

Me: ‘exactly my thoughts, I just need to finish of the other DLC on Spider-Man but you know I rage quit on that stupid Screwball chase’

Joe: ‘I bet you would do it first time round if you tried it again’

Me: ‘challenge accepted’

———

Well, he was wrong. I tried about 10 times and kept failing. I’m just no good at getting through those water towers. Although the whole idea is stupid to me. You’re chasing a criminal Spidey why are you doing her stupid ‘photo opportunities’ so she gets more views? Like disposing of the bombs I can understand, but doing a cool move and getting a photo? While chasing a criminal? This is why J.J. hates you.

————

You might be like ‘hey, Emma’ I’ve just gone on your profile and it says you have the trophy for catching Screwball. But you just said you can’t do it’ and my friends you are right. I’m a cheat, I’m a dirty fake gamer. 
After 10 tries and getting frustrated Joe said let me try. ‘Sure’ I said, ‘you see how difficult it is!’…..

Well, he caught her, first time!!! 
So I finally got the trophy.. but not by my own hand. I’m just glad it’s over. I hope I never have to hear her voice again. 
Now, I just have two mission trophies left and to 100% the area and I’m all ready for NG+. But not until I have the platinum on Dragon Quest.

Playing for an hour really reminded me of how much I enjoyed the game. And reminded me of how much I want to pick up and play Miles Morales!

Edited by emmajessica12
  • Like 2

UPDATE TIME!

Platinum #9: Persona 3 Dancing

———————

After a long, emotional draining day at work I got home and sat and played P3 Dancing till the platinum trophy popped. Okay, so I had a lot more fun playing this then I thought I would. I had always wanted to play this after seeing my boyfriend play this one and Persona 5 dancing. However, I did think I might struggle with it. I don’t have the best hand - eye coordination so thought I might not be fast enough to press the buttons. Well I had no need to worry as I had an absolute blast playing this. I even got a King Crazy while playing on normal (I didn’t even realise I had it on normal). I mean don’t get me wrong I sucked at Hard and All Night difficulty but I only had to do a couple of those levels for some trophies. 

I struggled for the first couple of levels but soon found myself getting mostly perfects on most levels on the easy and normal difficulty. I loved all the different costumes you could put the different characters in as well, as I felt like it gave the songs a bit more replay ability compared to if they were always in the same outfit. I enjoyed the majority of the songs that you could dance to, however some of the remixes were questionable. But that could be down to my taste of music. I liked the added element of finding the cards hidden around the rooms. However I was glad for the ringing when you got close to them or I don’t think I would have ever find some of them.

I didn’t really care about the story and skipped most of it as I was eager to do another dance and see what my score would be. And apart for in doing it once for a trophy I didn’t watch any of the replays to see the actual dance the characters did. I did think all of the characters were really cool and liked them all from what I did see of the story and their dancing. Ken was adorable and all of the others seemed clever or funny. What I’m trying to say is they all seemed to have different personalities compared to ‘I’m the main character and these are my friends, they are made of cardboard and have no personality’ that some games tend to have. I was happy that I seem to like all the characters as that means when I have the time/ urge I will definitely play Persona 3. I have watched the anime for Persona 4 and I hated Rise so much it makes me want to put off playing the game (even if Joe swears down she isn’t nearly as annoying in the game).

Another cool (for me, any readers probably don’t care) thing is, this game is now my fastest earned platinum. It knocked Telltale’s Game of Thrones right off that pedestal and made itself at home. 

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with P3 Dancing and will gladly pick up P4 and P5 dancing at some point. I do think I want to play the actual games for those two first though so I can actually listen and understand the story!

My next gaming goal is to spend most of my gaming time playing through Dragon Quest 11. When I’m not playing it, I’m sat thinking about it, and what skills I’m giving them all next, what town I will be visiting and if Sandy the dog is missing me. I’m currently around 45 hours into the game and Joe finished around 90 hours so I still have a fair way to go yet. I spend an hour last night grinding ready to take on the gold boss (which I can never remember how to spell). I was level 41/42 when I took them on and I killed her no problem. However, that bloody dragon afterwards near the ice nearly kicked my butt. I managed to kill it with only 2 party members left. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the site and to the trophy hunting community. I have two thoughts to share with you.

One, your trophy list is off to quite an impressive start already, so excellent job on that! I really admire your varied taste in games and I sense a true gamer’s spirit in you. It reminds me a little bit of myself when I started trophy hunting a few years ago. My gaming history was pretty limited prior to that, so these past few years I’ve mostly been playing catch up on the big franchises and classic titles I never got to experience, and like you I have been hungry to try a little bit of everything and find myself with a backlog that never stops growing. Based on your list of titles in the backlog, I can say you’re in for quite a fun journey!

Secondly, I think it’s really cool that you indulged your boyfriend’s hobby and came to love it yourself. I’ve never had a girlfriend (or girl friend) who thought of video games as much more than a nerdy bro activity, but I think it would be super cool to meet a woman who does and who would want to play with me and even join me in the hunt. The only person I have in real life who shares this hobby with me is my brother, who I managed to get interested in the hunt about a year and a half ago. He’s totally obsessed now like myself, and it’s just really cool having someone close who shares an interest in gaming and trophy hunting. It really helps a lot with keeping each other motivated too. 

Anyways, good work so far and best of luck with the hunt. I enjoy reading these progress threads and I look forward to checking back on your progress from time to time. ?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Welcome to the site and to the trophy hunting community. I have two thoughts to share with you.

One, your trophy list is off to quite an impressive start already, so excellent job on that! I really admire your varied taste in games and I sense a true gamer’s spirit in you. It reminds me a little bit of myself when I started trophy hunting a few years ago. My gaming history was pretty limited prior to that, so these past few years I’ve mostly been playing catch up on the big franchises and classic titles I never got to experience, and like you I have been hungry to try a little bit of everything and find myself with a backlog that never stops growing. Based on your list of titles in the backlog, I can say you’re in for quite a fun journey!

Secondly, I think it’s really cool that you indulged your boyfriend’s hobby and came to love it yourself. I’ve never had a girlfriend (or girl friend) who thought of video games as much more than a nerdy bro activity, but I think it would be super cool to meet a woman who does and who would want to play with me and even join me in the hunt. The only person I have in real life who shares this hobby with me is my brother, who I managed to get interested in the hunt about a year and a half ago. He’s totally obsessed now like myself, and it’s just really cool having someone close who shares an interest in gaming and trophy hunting. It really helps a lot with keeping each other motivated too. 

Anyways, good work so far and best of luck with the hunt. I enjoy reading these progress threads and I look forward to checking back on your progress from time to time. 1f642.png

Thank you for such a lovely comment! Yeah, I love trying all different types of game, I’m beginning to think my favourite is RPGs/ JRPGs and simulation/management games. As they are the ones I have get the most enjoyment out of. My boyfriends favourite is JRPGs as well, so we have loads of them which is great. 
Yeah, at first I was like ‘sure, I’ll play a game or two with you’ and here I am a year later with my own account and nearly 10 platinum trophies! I had played a few games growing up but my dad never advanced past the PS2 so I didn’t know much  about games apart from Dragon Quest 8, Lord of the Rings Third Age, Kingdom Hearts, Champions of Norrath and Crash Bandicoot 3 (which I didn’t even know was the 3rd one). So when I started going over to my boyfriends he had this awesome collection of games and I was intrigued. Now it’s my number one hobby. 
I can imagine, gaming itself is great, but having someone you can talk to about is even better. I love talking strategy, what to play next etc. with Joe, I think it makes the whole experience better. Are you the same with your brother? 
I hope to keep you entertained with my progress in future posts ?

• Like 2