The Walking Dead

Dreakon139

Spoiler

Episode 8.12, "The Key", picked up the pace a bit.

Negan & the Saviors hit the road to "put the fear of God" into Hilltop.  A wrathful Rick spots Negan's car, then gives chase in his own car & rams him, causing a wreck. Next they're going at it again in a dark old building.  This fight leads to Negan taking a long fall & losing Lucille.  Rick finds Lucille first, then uses Glenn's lighter to set it ablaze.  Walkers start coming, then some get bashed with the flaming bat.  Negan gets Lucille back & escapes Rick, only to be captured later by... Jadis.  Simon, the Saviors' resident nutjob, takes command then makes plans to exterminate Rick's group.  Look out.

There is some speculation that The Whisperers may go to Fear instead of TWD.  It's said that Fear is going to have a time jump to catch up with TWD's events.

Yeah, it was good.  A little slower paced but the bar scene kicked ass.  I liked Talking Dead's joke about it: "Rick & Morgan walk into a bar... there is no punchline... only death."

Spoiler

Some Saviors who were held prisoner by Rick's group knock out Rick & Morgan, then walk them into a bar & tie them up.  Rick warns the captors that a herd is coming.  They try to call bullshit, but realize it's true.  After being turned loose, Rick & Morgan fight their way out through a mess of walkers & Saviors.   Jadis has some words with Negan.  She's really pissed with him at first but decides to let him loose later.  He returns to the Sanctuary.  I wonder if Simon may be getting Lucilled?  Negan didn't approve of that Scavenger massacre.

Where's Henry?  Carol saves him from a couple walkers.

It looks like this past couple episodes, they've been making walkers feared again. Keep it up.

Next week, THE WAR ENDS.  That's what they're saying in the preview.  Fear the Walking Dead will start right after the finale.  A lot less Saviors, & some more Morgan.

Spoiler

Daryl & Rosita capture Eugene, only to have him escape later.  I'm thinking Eugene is beyond redemption & will probably meet his end from a pissed off Daryl or Michonne.  The power struggle between Negan & Simon ends in the mother of all fights.  Plenty of punches get thrown until Negan takes down Simon & chokes him to death.  A bit later, Simon is on the fence as a walker.  Michonne reads a message from Carl to Negan.  Negan promises nothing but all-out extermination of the Hilltop.

On 4/22, Into the Badlands returns.  Looking forward to that also.

20 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

Either Negan dies in the finale, or we'll have to wait until next season to see what Maggie wants to do with him. In the comics, she lets Negan live. But then again, the show has already strayed far from the source material... ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!

Spoiler

Wasn't Carl killed in the series especially because that idiot producer/writer couldn't think of a way for Rick to let Negan live?

That being said, I haven't watched the show since season five, but I feel like I should have stopped sooner. First season was very good though.

17 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

Either Negan dies in the finale, or we'll have to wait until next season to see what Maggie wants to do with him. In the comics, she lets Negan live. But then again, the show has already strayed far from the source material... ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!

Surely they'll want to leave one thing open.  I can see Negan getting captured, with his fate left a secret until early next season.

Dammit. I've defended this show through a lot of iffy choices but this episode might he the one that breaks me. If Maggie and Daryl turn against Rick, I am done with it. My favorite part of the series is the bonds the group has built over the years.

Deaths? I can handle that. Throwing years of solid character development out the window in two lines of dialogue? Screw that noise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Dammit. I've defended this show through a lot of iffy choices but this episode might he the one that breaks me. If Maggie and Daryl turn against Rick, I am done with it. My favorite part of the series is the bonds the group has built over the years.

I don't care for that either.  Maybe this could be how they write Maggie out of TWD if she's not coming back.  I could see Michonne taking her out if it's gotta be like that.  What really messes with me is the idea of Daryl betraying Rick.   The idea of these two being enemies just sucks too much for words.

At least the war with the Saviors is definitely over.

Spoiler

At least Eugene did come around.  When some Saviors got ready to blow Rick's group away... THEIR GUNS ALL BACKFIRED thanks to a bit of sabotage.  Daryl encountered Dwight, & surprisingly spared him with one condition- that he never cross paths with Rick's group again.

Edited by gameoverDude189
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

What really messes with me is the idea of Daryl betraying Rick. 

Yeah, I'm not on board with that at all. Even that little fight they had earlier in the season annoyed me. My favorite moments in the series are the big moments between them. 

I'm keeping my hopes up that we get the time skip that happens in the comics and it all resolves itself in that time. Maybe with a flashback to show how. *fingers crossed*. But the way they played out that scene, I highly doubt it.

• Like 1

The rest of the finale was fine. Fairly predictable but decent enough. However, there are so many things wrong with that Maggie/Daryl/Jesus scene....

First off, why in the world is Jesus involved in this meeting? He is the last person in the entire show that would be involved in this conspiracy. This is the same person who spent the entire season preaching about not having to kill. He is the one who argued to spare the Saviors at the outpost and the reason Maggie imprisoned them instead. In this very episode he tried persuading Morgan to use the other end of the stick for the living and that killing wasn't the answer. So why would he all of a sudden be fine with killing Negan? Not only that but turning on Rick and Michonne in the progress? Especially considering Rick just did what Jesus has been preaching all season about sparing the Saviors. To be fair, we have to see how this actually plays out. Maybe Jesus refuses to go along and tries talking Maggie out of doing this. Or maybe he warns Rick of the plans. That would be more reasonable with his character. However, right now it makes no sense that he would be anywhere near this.

Next up is Daryl. He used to be one of my favorite characters but I have become convinced that the writers just have absolutely no idea what to do with his character anymore. Again, his involvement just seems weird to me. His main nemesis in this arc has been Dwight. Sure he wants to kill Negan too and maybe they are 1a and 1b but his main target has been Dwight. Literally like two scenes before this meeting he decided to spare Dwight. Why, moments later, would he still be so determined to kill Negan. Not only to kill him, but to turn against some of his best friends and allies. Seems like a stretch and I kind of feel like they included Daryl because 1) they don't know what else to do with him and 2) to raise the stakes and make this a faction vs faction within the group and have Daryl vs. Rick. 

When I first saw the scene I thought and hoped they were just talking about killing Negan. That killing him was their main and only goal. Once that was accomplished it would be over and no hard feelings towards Rick. However, watching it again and it sure seems like they are turning against Rick and MIchonne and starting a full blown feud which seems ridiculous. Guess we'll see how it's handled but not sure I'll be around. About had enough of this show.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

First off, why in the world is Jesus involved in this meeting?

Agreed.  Seeing him there was a shock.  Maybe he played along to spy on Maggie & Daryl. As for Daryl, I never saw that coming. Nor did I expect him to just exile Dwight. I'm sure if Dwight didn't turn against Negan, Daryl would've just killed him.  I'm sure Daryl's grudge against Negan is 10,000% worse than the one with Dwight.

Scott Gimple has said the Whisperers will be coming.  One rumor is that Jadis will become Alpha.  Another one, which is IMO ridiculous & just revolting, has FEAR's Clark family as the Whisperers with Madison as Alpha.  OMG... No damn way!  If somehow that actually happens, I'm done with TWD.

Let's hope the Whisperers arc isn't dragged out too long.  Keep it down to half a season.

The episode had too many quick (and ridiculous) heel turns for my liking. I mean, this whole season has sounded like they're just ripping off the source material. The silly walker blood causes infection (despite people covering themselves in the shit all the time) and sparing Negan, really had no place in the TV show, imo. And before this arc, they really seemed to be quite the opposite, doing things differently than the comics. It only took the premiere of FTWD to reaffirm my thoughts, that it has become the much more superior show. 

Speaking of that, I'm extremely happy to see Burt Chance again. <3 And Althea seems like a really cool and interesting character. Can't wait for next week. 

Edit: :lol: I could have sworn they were saying "Owl." My ears must be playing tricks on me. "Al" is pretty close. 

Edited by Fidel

I'm guessing it's not enough for the walker blood to just get on someone, but that it has to get into an open wound (like the scene where some of Rick's people got shot, then died & turned overnight). And there's gotta be something else in it, since everyone already has the "you die, you turn" virus.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-komodo-dead-what-really-kills-in-the-walking-dead/

The rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die, you turn into a zombie, UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die, you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie "virus."

(Robert Kirkman, from the Scientific American article "The Komodo Dead: What Really Kills in The Walking Dead")

I don't think there's any guarantee that Jesus sitting in that room means he agrees with everything Maggie was saying.  Which wasn't even "lets go kill Negan" or "lets overthrow Rick" FWIW... just saying that they're going to show Rick he was wrong in a dark/ominous way.  So if there's some sort of "civil war" coming, I'm hoping that it happens at least sorta organically.

Though whatever happens, please don't drag it out forever.  Long enough to let things happen naturally, but short enough that we aren't watching 10 full episodes of filler/unnecessary plot threads by the end.

EDIT: Though I just rewatched the scene and Jesus was sitting there with a smirk and a nod to what Maggie was saying.  Dunno WTF to make of that, makes no sense. xD

EDIT 2: Maybe we won't see anything about this little uprising for a little while, since Maggie talks about "biding their time".  Maybe the next arc will come around quickly, and Maggie/Daryl turning the screws on Rick/Michonne will just add wrinkles at the worst possible times, and slowly build to something more.  I wouldn't mind a serious differing of opinions among main characters in Ricks group for a change, feels like its been a while.  Maybe even going back to season 2 and Shane.  Everyone has been so damn agreeable about most things.  Had hopes for Morgan with his pacifist mode, and then his 'clear' mode, but he barely moved the needle outside of a skirmish or two.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 4/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

I can stand a little drama within Rick's group. Maybe we need it, I guess.  Just get it resolved in 4 episodes at most. And no "civil war", please.

If they actually did keep it shorter, I could see it dominating the first half of the season (so 8 episodes)... coming to a resolution and possibly something bad happening to a main character (or characters) in Ricks group and teasing whatever comes next, would make for a fitting mid-season finale episode.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:10 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

I can stand a little drama within Rick's group. Maybe we need it, I guess.  Just get it resolved in 4 episodes at most. And no "civil war", please.

I hope it's an all out civil war in Rick's group. Honestly, the show needs a change, and after defeating The Saviors, perhaps the only thing left to fear is each other. A part of me can't wait until they kill off Daryl, so all these fangirls can "Riot" which basically will only amount to lots of crying and whining on the internet. It'll be glorious. ?

• 1 month later...

Not sure whether or not this should count as a spoiler... but if it's true, that's some serious negative implications for Season 9 and the future of the show...

Spoiler

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-walking-deads-andrew-lincoln-leaving-after-sea/1100-6459275/

Andrew Lincoln leaves, which means they kill off Rick.  Maggie potentially gets a reduced role or leaves.  Daryl becomes the new lead?  Ugh... as someone who went all-in with The Walking Dead around Season 2, it'd be really sad to see it potentially fall apart like this.  Would rather they just put all their efforts into making Season 9 blow everyone away and end the series altogether on a high note.

Edited by Dreakon13

Spoiler
On 5/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, Dreakon13 said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-walking-deads-andrew-lincoln-leaving-after-sea/1100-6459275/

Andrew Lincoln leaves, which means they kill off Rick.  Maggie potentially gets a reduced role or leaves.  Daryl becomes the new lead?  Ugh... as someone who went all-in with The Walking Dead around Season 2, it'd be really sad to see it potentially fall apart like this.  Would rather they just put all their efforts into making Season 9 blow everyone away and end the series altogether on a high note.

(above spoiler from Dreakon13)

Wait... WHAT?    I'm fine with Daryl as new leader if this is true, though I'd rather have it be Michonne.

If it ends up that TWD gets canned, some or all of the cast could follow Morgan over to Fear.

Edited by gameoverDude189

I'm sorry but, Daryl is not a leader. I mean killing Rick off would have been a fine idea...IF THEY HADN'T OF KILLED OFF CARL! But since Carl is gone now, it would be wise to keep Rick around. Otherwise, what's the point to the show anymore? Might as well end it now and just do fear the walking dead from now on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

I'm sorry but, Daryl is not a leader. I mean killing Rick off would have been a fine idea...IF THEY HADN'T OF KILLED OFF CARL! But since Carl is gone now, it would be wise to keep Rick around. Otherwise, what's the point to the show anymore? Might as well end it now and just do fear the walking dead from now on.

But but but... Profits!