The Walking Dead

Dreakon139

6 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

I'm sorry but, Daryl is not a leader. I mean killing Rick off would have been a fine idea...IF THEY HADN'T OF KILLED OFF CARL! But since Carl is gone now, it would be wise to keep Rick around. Otherwise, what's the point to the show anymore? Might as well end it now and just do fear the walking dead from now on.

I'm sure it's more Andrew Lincoln's decision than the showrunners, or possibly a contract dispute that neither side can get behind.  There's no way they willingly want to kill Rick off as a story-based decision.  That's a huge deviation from the comic source and especially with Carl gone, possibly Maggie too... basically turns the show into a spinoff of itself.  For all I know, the new showrunners could end up making it work... but I think that may actually be a deal breaker for me (as in I stop watching).  Not out of protest or because I'm upset about it, just because it feels like a completely different show at that point.  I've been getting into the comics more in the last year or two (intentionally holding back from reading ahead to not spoil potential show arcs), I'd probably just keep that going instead.

Granted if it is a contract dispute, you just give Lincoln what he wants to keep the show alive IMO... it's not like they're hard up for money.  The show is still huge despite the viewership going down recently and must cost next to nothing to film outside of makeup/zombie guts and paying the actors.  But if Rick goes, the show should just end.  That may be my approach to it either way.

EDIT: Hopefully if they do kill Rick off, they do it in the season finale so folks like me can just call it the series finale and make a clean break.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

@Dreakon13 It does sound like it's his choice if he goes. Something about wanting to explore other acting roles. Nick's actor wanted out of FTWD too, and he got his wish.. Guess Rick may be following in his footsteps. And Maggie is definitely done, based on what I read. Off to a new show after AMC failed to reach a negotiation. 

Edited by Fidel

11 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

But but but... Profits!

Little late for that...

Most over-aged moms who loved Daryl have moved on.

The show really should have ended at the end of 5. Went extremely downhill after 5. (started to show signs in 3.5-4 though)

I held on til Season 6 because I liked some of the characters (the ones most didn't care for.. although I feel that people jumped on bandwagons for this show. Similar to how people jump on musician bandwagons just to "Fit in"). 

So many deaths  in this show made zero sense with the progress of the show's writing. 

1 hour ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Little late for that...

The show really should have ended at the end of 5. Went extremely downhill after 5. (started to show signs in 3.5-4 though)

I held on til Season 6 because I liked some of the characters (the ones most didn't care for.. although I feel that people jumped on bandwagons for this show. Similar to how people jump on musician bandwagons just to "Fit in"). 

So many deaths  in this show made zero sense with the progress of the show's writing. 

I noticed it around whatever season it was that they trolled everyone with Glenn's "death". That was Walking Dead's jumping the shark moment.

28 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

I noticed it around whatever season it was that they trolled everyone with Glenn's "death". That was Walking Dead's jumping the shark moment.

That would be Season 6, with the whole zombie quarry thing that went awry.

Very little interesting has happened the last three seasons (6-7-8).  Negan's intro at the end of Season 6/start of Season 7 was one of the best moments in the series though IMO, however they managed to squander that great unpredictable vibe he had by having him kill a bunch of his own people and conveniently spare/convert/not kill Ricks group at almost every turn. ?

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Little late for that...

54 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

26 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

That would be Season 6, with the whole zombie quarry thing that went awry.

Very little interesting has happened the last three seasons (6-7-8).  Negan's intro at the end of Season 6/start of Season 7 was one of the best moments in the series though IMO, however they managed to squander that great unpredictable vibe he had by having him kill a bunch of his own people and conveniently spare/convert/not kill Ricks group at almost every turn. 1f644.png

I stopped watching after the first episode of the season that started with the zombie quarry. But I stopped caring long before that.

The first season was excellent but after that it became such a drag... Anyone who read the comics like me is bound to go "GAH! GET ON WITH IT!"

move.gif

Such a shame, but we all know that firing Darabont was just a very stupid move.

33 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I stopped watching after the first episode of the season that started with the zombie quarry. But I stopped caring long before that.

The first season was excellent but after that it became such a drag... Anyone who read the comics like me is bound to go "GAH! GET ON WITH IT!"

move.gif

Such a shame, but we all know that firing Darabont was just a very stupid move.

Season 1 was great.  Season 2 post-Sophia was great.  Season 3 with the Governor and Woodbury was very good.  Season 4 with the prison sickness and post-prison was pretty meh.  Season 5 with Terminus and after-stuff was pretty meh until they got to Alexandria, then it got good again IMO.  Season 6 and onward was anywhere from bad to pretty meh, Negan's intro episode (Season 7 opener) was amazing though... wish they would've built on that instead of spending 2 full seasons doing virtually nothing.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Season 1 was great.  Season 2 post-Sophia was great.  Season 3 with the Governor and Woodbury was very good.  Season 4 with the prison sickness and post-prison was pretty meh.  Season 5 was pretty meh until they got to Alexandria, then it got good again IMO.  Since then it's been anywhere from bad to pretty meh, Negan's intro episode (Season 7 opener) blew me away though.

About Negan's intro... How come I've heard so many people be upset with Glenn? I haven't seen it but it sounds pretty much exactly true to the comics, with the exception that a character dies just before to make people shortly think it'll go differently in the series.

I get why people are upset about CORRAL Carl though. The Walking Dead is basically a coming of age story for Carl, it's stupid that they write him out.

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Season 1 was great.  Season 2 post-Sophia was great.  Season 3 with the Governor and Woodbury was very good.  Season 4 with the prison sickness and post-prison was pretty meh.  Season 5 was pretty meh until they got to Alexandria, then it got good again IMO.  Season 6 and onward was anywhere from bad to pretty meh, Negan's intro episode (Season 7 opener) was amazing though... wish they would've built on that instead of spending 2 full seasons doing virtually nothing.

Season 3 was good until they ruined Andreas character development. She was way cooler than Carol but they fucked her up bad. Terrible writing does that though. Lori's death in 3 definitely made that season better though in terms of "this death made sense and progressed the storyline". (Oh and lets even mention how much they dragged the governor out ...)

Writing got really horrific during Season 4 and on though.

1 minute ago, Cthulhu said:

About Negan's intro... How come I've heard so many people be upset with Glenn? I haven't seen it but it sounds pretty much exactly true to the comics, with the exception that a character dies just before to make people shortly think it'll go differently in the series.

I get why people are upset about CORRAL Carl though. The Walking Dead is basically a coming of age story for Carl, it's stupid that they write him out.

Well for me I wish it would have been a even bigger character like Daryl. The Walking Dead needed a shocking death not a rehash lazy way from the comics. I didn't want them to follow the comics too closely (especially in death scenes) and their writers are so bad now they had to take the easy safe way out to avoid losing "cash" even though they are now anyway...

5 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

LOL.

Maybe ending TWD after Season 9 may be good.  Have some more of Rick's survivors go down, then like I said, the rest could move over to Fear.  Let them join Madison.

Madison.. We haven't seen her except for in flashbacks this season, and Nick was pretty mad about something. Just saying. 

On 5/31/2018 at 6:12 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Maybe ending TWD after Season 9 may be good. 

I hate to admit it, but yeah. Without Rick, keeping the main show going is useless. If the main show ends, Fear The Walking Dead will become the main show, but somehow I just don't see it lasting very long. I personally was never a big fan of FTWD.

Edited by jackmadrox

Well... I called it. FTWD spoilers:

Spoiler

Madison is indeed dead. Although, we don't actually see it.. but it sounds pretty much like she's done. So, now both shows are killing off all their lead characters? Not so sure what this means for the future of either show, but it's not looking good.. 

On 6/11/2018 at 5:30 PM, Fidel said:

Well... I called it. FTWD spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Madison is indeed dead. Although, we don't actually see it.. but it sounds pretty much like she's done. So, now both shows are killing off all their lead characters? Not so sure what this means for the future of either show, but it's not looking good.. 

OMG.  I really never saw that coming.

And now it sounds like Shane (Jon Bernthal) will be back for an episode in Season 9.  The significance of his return hasn't been said obviously, but I'm guessing we'll be getting some flashbacks.  Or maybe some Season 3-esque hallucinations where Rick randomly saw Shane in a gunfight at Woodbury, but I dunno why they'd bring him back for such a small part.

I really wish they'd just announce the series end, along with Andrew Lincoln's exit.  Season 9 actually has the potential to be really interesting and heartfelt with Rick (and Maggie potentially?) leaving, bringing back at least one beloved character (even if briefly), etc... but knowing when all is said and done, the show may just drone on with Daryl as the lead is kind of a ball buster.

Edited by Dreakon13

I wouldn't mind a tragic end to the main TWD, with Rick's group being decimated to a small handful.  Hopefully they'll have Rick & Maggie put up one last good fight before going down.  Daryl & Michonne should be among the survivors.  Whoever makes it should end up joining Morgan's new group on Fear.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't tell if they are serious about Rick and Maggie leaving the show or it's just a marketing trick to build up hype after last season's mess. I 've been watching this show from season 3 and reading the graphic novels ever since. Don't get me wrong but the Walking Dead is a story from Rick's point of view, not just his story. We see his struggle to protect his family and the ones he cares about by any means. By removing him from the equation the show will be pretty much done. It is clear that they are not following the comics at all in regard of the story line and the characters that they keep alive/kill, but you cannot just kill Rick, he is the main character of focus on this show.

Edited by TheGwynbleidd
  • Like 3

Not bad.  I'm sure there are some viewers who will quit when Rick leaves.  Hopefully they just have him go missing instead, in case he'd somehow decide to come back.  In the part beginning at 5:10 in the trailer, listen for that "where are they?" in a voice that's like a walker growl. Here come the Whisperers!

Michonne would make a better leader than Daryl.  Wouldn't mind him being one of the key figures in the group, just not #1.

Edited by gameoverDude189

Never usually watch the trailers or follow anything TWD related leading up to a new season, since it's still probably my favorite show on TV (I don't watch much as far as these weekly hour-long dramas go) and I'd rather go in blind... but they've spoiled so much already with...

Spoiler

Andrew Lincoln leaving, Lauren Cohen's reduced role, Shane coming back in some capacity (flashback, dream, hallucination, etc)... and various other smaller articles popping up in my Twitter feed.

And just now I saw...

Spoiler

They've announced the casting choice for the leader of The Whisperers.  I haven't read that far into the comics yet so I dunno what that group is all about... maybe it's not completely spoiled or anything, but guess there isn't much mystery in where we're going next anymore.

... so I just went ahead and watched that trailer.  Figure I probably won't remember much from it by the time October rolls around.  Looks like it could be alright, has a different vibe to it than the last two seasons now that it isn't just 16 more excruciatingly predictable episodes of Rick and Negan's back and forth.  I'm very uncomfortable with The Walking Dead without Rick Grimes though, so it'll probably take Season 9 and whatever I opt to watch of Season 10 blowing me away to keep me on board (assuming the show goes on much longer past that).  They could very well pull that off, especially with a new showrunner and a post-All Out War blank slate.  Guess we'll see.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 months later...

Just saw season 9's premiere & thought it was good.  The new opening credits were nice.

Damn, I will sure miss Maggie.  I loved the way her "don't fuck with me" streak came out tonight.

Spoiler

Gregory plots to have Maggie killed.  Ken's father is all too willing to go in on the plot, because he blames Maggie for Ken's death.  Gregory has him go lay in wait by Glenn's grave to ambush her.  Thanks to Enid, Maggie survives this.  She confronts Gregory.  "You want to lead this place, but you can’t even murder someone right.  Do you even give a crap about all the stupid shit you’ve done after all the chances you’ve been given?”   He rushes at her with a knife, only to be disarmed.  She makes him pay... by hanging!  Now at her mercy, Gregory pleads for his life.  No deal!  Maggie wastes no time having Daryl end it by knocking the stool out from under the gallows.  After what she had just gone through, I don't blame her at all.