What’s your ‘Realistic Completion Ceiling’?

DrBloodmoney

5 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Or it is people that have read the dozens of threads by past users that talk about their hobby taking over their lives.

We were getting a new thread every couple of weeks at one point

Can you link a few of these threads? And possibly the most recent one? 

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

…If you have ever started a new profile, or have ever used an ‘alt’ profile, then you lose any right to use completion percentage as a metric to judge other peoples profiles.

I really feel like your opinion of people who start over is just confusing. I've seen you say things like "There's no soul to an account you start over in" or history or anything good basically. Now you say people with new profiles have no right to even base their opinions on their completion. But I really think you need to reevaluate yourself. Why do you honestly think people do something like start fresh? To cook the books? As long as they're transparent and say "This is where I came from and this is why I did it" then why should they be disallowed from having a valid point to make? My completion is the reason I started over. One of them anyway. I've tried harder on this account than Oro. I use Oro to see if I even like a game, or to help people with online trophies. Why does this make Deadly any less competent of an effort or less genuine of a basis for my opinions about completion?

I'm telling you that if I didn't start over I probably wouldn't even be trophy hunting any more. I was so dissatisfied, so frustrated with what I had done with my account, but only once I actually started caring. Would you have seriously had me stay with Oro just because I started it in 2008? If not, why would you so confidently take away the value in Deadly? Not for me personally, but as an account on the website? People who start over probably have a goal, and there's more soul in new accounts often than aimless, low completion, willy-nilly original accounts for these people. I read up a bit before I said any of this, but I trust you to tell me if I'm misunderstanding you or misrepresenting your points.

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I really feel like your opinion of people who start over is just confusing. I've seen you say things like "There's no soul to an account you start over in" or history or anything good basically. Now you say people with new profiles have no right to even base their opinions on their completion. But I really think you need to reevaluate yourself. Why do you honestly think people do something like start fresh? To cook the books? As long as they're transparent and say "This is where I came from and this is why I did it" then why should they be disallowed from having a valid point to make? My completion is the reason I started over. One of them anyway. I've tried harder on this account than Oro. I use Oro to see if I even like a game, or to help people with online trophies. Why does this make Deadly any less competent of an effort or less genuine of a basis for my opinions about completion?

I'm telling you that if I didn't start over I probably wouldn't even be trophy hunting any more. I was so dissatisfied, so frustrated with what I had done with my account, but only once I actually started caring. Would you have seriously had me stay with Oro just because I started it in 2008? If not, why would you so confidently take away the value in Deadly? Not for me personally, but as an account on the website? People who start over probably have a goal, and there's more soul in new accounts often than aimless, low completion, willy-nilly original accounts for these people. I read up a bit before I said any of this, but I trust you to tell me if I'm misunderstanding you or misrepresenting your points.

It's interesting how people who have 100% accounts are perceived as gate-keepers, though there are seemingly more people who speak against it than in favour for it. 

It's still elitism. 

49 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Can you link a few of these threads? And possibly the most recent one? 

I have stopped caring about this thread. I found 3 in about 30 seconds and i can easily find more....but like so many threads on this site "what's the point".

You either get the "not all gamers" arguement (which is instantly pointless and just serves to derail an arguement), people who literally make your point for you but still cannot see they are making your point, or people who demand proof because they can't be bothered to use the search function.

ONCE AGAIN

I never said "don't go for 100%" I was just pointing out "don't let it take away from your fun". 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I have stopped caring about this thread. I found 3 in about 30 seconds and i can easily find more....but like so many threads on this site "what's the point".

You either get the "not all gamers" arguement (which is instantly pointless and just serves to derail an arguement), people who literally make your point for you but still cannot see they are making your point, or people who demand proof because they can't be bothered to use the search function.

ONCE AGAIN

I never said "don't go for 100%" I was just pointing out "don't let it take away from your fun". 

Just to be clear, I wasn't asking you to prove anything. I am genuinely curious in reading those threads; as I have not seen one of that nature before. 

1 hour ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I think if my point of view seems confusing, it is because you are taking what I am saying about a very specific set of people, and trying to broaden it to represent a vast swathe of people (one that would include yourself) that it was never intended to be aimed at.

Yes, it’s true - we do differ on a philosophical level on the issue.

My personal view on whether or not to start a new profile (when people ask - as they sometimes do here) is alway not to, and, yes, the reason I think that is because IMO, a profile should represent a person - not just be the part of that person they wish to show. So in that sense, yes, my view is that a profile which has been ‘rebooted’ to be more ‘perfect’ does lack some of the heart and soul that a much longer-in-the-tooth, messy profile has - 

in the same way that a ‘real’ facebook profile or Instagram account that shows someones whole, messy looking life has more heart and soul than an account where someone is only showing their ‘best’, most glamorous shots.

However, I am not saying that a rebooted profile is valueless, or meritless, or to be ashamed of, or to be scorned for.

All I am saying, is I dislike the habit some people with rebooted profiles (or cultivated profiles maintained through use of ‘Alt’ accounts) have, of using ‘completion percentage’ as a metric by which to judge other profiles - because it’s not an Apples to Apples comparison.

If someone has a rebooted or cultivated profile, then look down on a single-profile, long-term account, that, to me, seems like the equivalent of a girl putting on a full face of makeup, wearing her best outfit, spending hours getting ready, then taking a photo - and then deriding another lassie’s make-up free holiday snaps by comparison. ?

Obviously, starting over was your choice, and it works for you. That’s awesome - and if that’s what it took to keep you enjoying gaming, great! ?  

But surely you understand that by doing so, you can’t then hold your new profile up as some kind of standard by which to negatively judge other, longer-standing profiles?

If you don’t do that - then 2 things:

1. Good for you ?

2. My post wasn’t about you

…but there are people with rebooted / cultivated profiles that I have seen doing that regularly.

That is what I find a bit gauche - not the acts of rebooting or using Alt accounts themselves.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dovah said:

OP says no one has the right to judge others profiles if theirs are not as genuine as his, ie: dating back to the dawn of trophies with no alts to test the waters  blah blah blah.......

No as genuine as the profile they are judging, was my point.

Apples to Apples, if apples are being judged on Apple-iness.

23 minutes ago, dovah said:

Yet same OP has made himself judge of whose accounts are legit or more legit than others, who has the right to make a point, and who doesn’t.

Yawn.

My point was that people should be less judgemental, and folks in glass houses shouldn’t throw rocks.

Try to spin my call to stop hypocritical judgementalism as me be ‘judgemental’ myself if you like, but it’s a fools errand. I know what I meant, and I suspect most others do too.:dunno:

They might disagree - but I reread my post, and I’m comfortable that anyone reading it would understand that wasn’t the intention, or a reasonable interpretation of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, totakos1 said:

Don’t really understand the idea of having alt account, you’re still the one buying and playing the game why hide it!?!

Typically the purpose would be to use it to try out or play games the person doesn't want potentially messing up their profile.  So if they want to try something that is different from their normal fare and may not like or a game they want to play with a more casual gamer friend or they think a game with unobtainable trophies could be fun but don't want to ruin their potential for 100%.

Then there are people who go so far as to change to a new account after making a "mistake" on their current one.  Some have gone so far as to do this multiple times as well.

• Like 1

I can't believe this topic is still going on, and the next generation of arguing is still going on :)

Completion isn't always about difficulty, but time too.

A lot of people who have low percentages are there because they are playing many games and not finishing many of them, sometimes earning 1 or 2 trophies before moving onto the next game.

There are quite a lot of easy games that still take 50-100 hours and let's say you started 5 easy games like that. Well that's potentially 500 hours of catching up. ANd what if those games are on PS3 or Vita and you're sick of that now and just want to play next gen stuff on PS4 and PS5?

And with new games coming out all of the time. I struggle with 2 or 3 games on the game and I still have about 100 unfinished games, most of them are over 90% but many aren't. And I just don't have interest in them anymore.

Maintenance games are a bit annoying in recent memory.

I regret playing Killing Force 2, free on PS+ a few years. Sure it's a great game, very good in fact. But every month or two a 14GB patch comes along and one new trophy, to keep topping it back up to 100% The trophies are thankfully mostly easy, but it's a still a chore.

There are many games like that now, imagine if you'd played Minecraft, Warframe, Dead By Daylight and Gems Of Wars etc and a lot of it online grindy stuff.

These games have DLC content seemingly coming out forever. If you want to keep 100% it becomes a chore, and you might just not want too.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I think for anyone going for 100% the only thing to keep in mind that it doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

There are just so many threads of people starting over, giving up completely or having mini breakdowns because new dlc came out, online servers closed or they tried some game out that proved too difficult.

When it gets to that point you need to abandon the 100% goal and realize it is more fun to play what you want instead of playing just easy games.

Well said.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, pogo_loco said:

As if any other accomplishment does?  No matter what grades you achieved, or records you broke, or children you sired, in 100 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally dead.  In 1,000 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally forgotten.  In the "grand scheme of things" this planet will eventually be destroyed by our Sun's inevitable nova burst.  EDIT:  Step back far enough, and no ambition/accomplishment matters in the grand scheme of things.

The original post asked what you thought about "your realistic completion ceiling".  Leave the rest of us alone.

A lot of people will forget the accomplishments and legacy Bruce Lee left behind in due time, despite the fact he died nearly 50 years ago. A decade from now, the shit Donald Trump has pulled in recent times will likely be an afterthought. Lebron James, despite being one of the best athletes of his generation, will eventually be forgotten.

The point I'm making is, we're alive now, let us make the most with our lives. There is no time like the present. Go out and set your own goals in life. Be an example for children and grandchildren to look up to.

It's the cycle of life. Stop acting butthurt and live your life as you want it. Nothing lasts forever, so make the most of it while you're still here. Accomplishments are what you make of them.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:18 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

Alright...but that doesnt mean we dont have dozens of threads where people feel trapped by their profile because they cannot maintain  100%. I, and a few others, are just giving friendly warnings that 100% is a lofty goal but dont allow it to consume you as so many others have.

I have no idea why you brought up the world ending and people being forgotten. What the heck does that have to do with anything.

If people have 100 percent, that's great. But realistically that just isn't a goal many people can achieve. I have two unobtainables on my account and that's fine. I think anything above 80 - 85 percent completion is pretty solid. You're still finishing four out of five games.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 5:08 AM, Baker121 said:

I find it weird that every time a topic about 100% completion comes around people automatically assume a couple of things.

- They only play easy games to protect 100%
- They have a secondary account to play harder games

I just want to point out that this is not true. I know quite a few completionists on this site and none of them do anything like this. 

In fact, this stupid accusation often comes from people that are close to 100% but can never make it, so therefore they express their frustration on the people that can.

Nah most ppl with 100% use Alts or play low risk games.

I could link you over 20, but I don’t want to profile shame tbh.

You Baker are sadly one of the few standout 100% accounts on this site.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

This is a bit of a weird one for me. I am a completionist (not just trophy wise, I've always been one when it comes to gaming), but I'm not insanely OCD about it. Currently my completion percentage is edging towards 97%. The highest it's ever been is a smidge over 98%. I have no unobtainables on my profile currently so 100% is possible. But is it probable? No, not really. There's a handful of trophies I'll likely never bother to earn, simply because they're too much effort, too difficult for me, or they require an actual monetary investment (GTA V DLC).

I would love to hit that magical 100%, but in some ways I think it would also be a bit of a curse because I know if I ever did reach it, I'd likely be more aware going forward and be a bit more selective with games, and that isn't a habit I want to pick up. As it is, I play what I want to, when I want to and I don't want my completion percentage to start influencing that. For now I just play like I've always done; I simply play games, enjoy them, and try to complete them to 100%, both in-game and from a trophy perspective. If I can't do that then I move on.

I'll likely get my percentage up to around the 99% mark as I continue going through my backlog. If that's the best I do then I'll be happy with that. 

• Like 2

Turns out there's a lot of folks who can increase their current completion percentage by quite a bit.

What's stopping you? Or are you already working on it?

Currently I'm working my way through the PS3 backlog and returning to previously played games to see what I can still squeeze out of my (almost) decade old phat console.

• Like 2

Never really given it too much thought, but in terms of my "realistic completion ceiling", it's quite high and has been for a long time now.  I'm currently at 91.67%, and if I focus on completing the likes of Sniper Elite III, Hitman 2, Onimusha, DOA6 and TLOU Remastered, then I could possibly push it up to a little over 93%, which is pretty damn good.

I've been able to maintain roughly 90% for a few years now by only really playing a couple of games at a time and by, for the most part, not loading any new games onto my profile until I'm actually ready to play them.  The main exception to this rule is when a game has MP trophies, which I will usually try to get out of the way early on.  I can come back and do the single player stuff anytime.

I have several hundred unearned trophies on PS3, and a number of them are due to server closures and the like, so they will stay unearned forever.  I COULD revisit some of my PS3 games and clean them up a bit, but I pretty much retired my PS3 over a year ago, so anything that's unfinished on that system will likely stay that way forever.

• Like 1

Played some PS3 games last couple of months. All happy getting my percentage from 40 tot 44%, and now see all of you mentioning 98/100% completion scores ?

I think I’ll be happy to reach 50%. Shame I dont have the save files from PS3/PS4 games anymore, juist a few.

• Like 1

65%. I like my ceiling low and reachable. 

This is is most likely best number since I’ve got some unobtainable trophies and games that I just can’t be bothered with.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 1

Interesting read with a lot of different opinions, quite a lot of passionate people on here with their accounts!

I have 100% at the moment but I only have 25 games as I don’t play too often! 

I don’t think I play easy games all the time, I just play what I like and I like getting my money’s worth out of my games which is why I go for 100%

• Like 2

If I had the game groove I had a couple years back, I could probably get in the 85-90% range. I think I could just wrap up a few easy plats and get a whole bunch of trophies on abandoned games like Death Stranding or Shadow of Mordor, without even needing to touch any of the more difficult trophies. However I had an epiphany, that I would rather play something I enjoy than raise my %. I could maybe see myself going back to some of these games/trophies, but it was more like back then I had all the time in the world to play and nothing else. Completing games with trophy tracking features was a way to see I did something during those pointless days. Then some things changed (at least temporarily) and gaming priorities changed with them.

Maybe some day I will once more raise my %, but since I don't choose games (solely) on their trophy lists, it will never be above 90%

• Like 1

haven't noticed this thread before

and coincidentally, I was having a chat with @Deadly_Ha_Ha about this earlier

I’m permanently locked out of 100% because 1 of the dlc trophies in battlefield hardline is unattainable now. It was a multiplayer trophy but the mode was removed. I was never going to do the dlc anyway since u had to get 10k kills with each of 4 different classes. Fuck no.

so my realistic trophy ceiling as of now would be 99.99%

I hover consistently in the 98% range tho, since I only play 1 or 2 new games at a time. 

• Like 1