What’s your ‘Realistic Completion Ceiling’?

DrBloodmoney

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

100% is stupid. It's a ridiculous amount to maintain and all it does is mostly ruin your fun of just playing games for fun, plus you avoid games that are too hard/unsure of and don't splash out on brand new games or IP that you might like but have never played before so the risk corners you off and limits fun you could be having.

100% is not a healthy or fun target to achieve. You will want to break away from it, eventually.

Why don't you speak for yourself. Maybe you are, you almost sound bitter... I'm not one to flag posts because I'm not a baby but this kind of judgmental nonsense-spouting is just hard to understand. What if I said, "Anything less than 100% is stupid. Why bother if you can't achieve everything you set out to accomplish?" How ridiculous would that sound? To me, you sound just as petty and ridiculous. You have no business so roundly rejecting the effort and significance of dedicating oneself to having a 100% account.

• Like 2

98 percent is the highest I can achieve with my current gaming habits.

Grand Theft Auto V on the PS3 is scratched off my list for good in regards to 100 percent completion, but I may go back and earn an A rank before dropping it. Very unlikely I will get the trophies for The Doomsday Heist for the PS4 version of the game. I don't like multiplayer in general and usually try my best to avoid it. I highly prefer single player with the occasional challenge.

Fallout 4 I will come back to, and ultimately my goal is to get to under 10 games fully completed. I cannot see myself going any further than that, so a 98 - 98.5 percent completion is looking likely.

It is impossible for me to get every unearned trophy on my list, but as a completionist a 98 percent completion rate is the best than I can do with my abilities.

• Like 3

This is an interesting thread on a number of levels so thank you for setting it up @DrBloodmoney

Our completion % does tend to give an insight into whom we are both as players and people but our rationale as to why we have said % and how it came to be tends to be the more fascinating aspect!

4 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Welp, at this point in the game, there is absolutely no friggin way I will ever get anywhere near 100%! Unfortunately for me, I rented a good majority of PS3 games through Gamefly, in other words I'm not respending several thousand $'s just to go back through and play a bunch of games I didn't really care for.

With that being said, I think realistically for me 66% sounds like a reasonable ceiling. I'd be happy with 2/3rds completed but even that is going to take a ton of work at this point in the game! Had I started caring or maybe even joined this site sooner, I could have tried to salvage it to some degree but oh well... Proud of my profile, even if it is trash from a true completionist's POV!

?️ You Sir are my spirit animal! Your profile is not "trash" and you aren't a "true" completionist nor would you WANT to be. You are happy and gain far more enjoyment out of the games you play than most archetypal completionists so YOU WIN! On a side note? I would end up spending the several thousand and going back through the games (crying and bemoaning every step of the way!) ?

4 hours ago, ShadeSplit said:

When I sat down and played my first game with trophies, I vividly recall hoping to myself that I'd be able to maintain 50% throughout all the games I'd eventually play. Perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this question.

?️ What was the game in question? Some of us care and want to know @ShadeSplit...

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I'm always in the 97-99% range, since two years ago (or so) I added Crypt of the NecroDancer to my profile, and I haven't put in the time required to finish that one. Realistically speaking, I will be sitting at 99.xx% at least until my kid reaches kindergarden-age and I decide to no-life Crypt for a while ? Or I might never reach 100% with Crypt as my only incomplete game on my profile. 

?️ I am still hugely impressed that you were physically capable of moving on from Crypt of the NecroDancer and accepting defeat (knowing the ridiculously high level of skill and mental fortitude that you possess!) It is fitting the ONLY game that has ever gotten the best of you happens to be THE game of all games. I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything else knowing that it sits there on my profile as a constant reminder that i can complete any other UR game ever made but THAT one is the virtual millstone around my neck! You have the perspective to match the raw ability and that i definitely admire (and lack.) I am pulling for you to finish that living nightmare of a game whenever your little one is old enough for dad to journey back into the depths of retro hell!!! Keep showing us how it is done @Arcesius ?

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

100% is stupid. It's a ridiculous amount to maintain and all it does is mostly ruin your fun of just playing games for fun, plus you avoid games that are too hard/unsure of

?️ I wish i could vehemently disagree with said appraisal. I cannot. This does apply to most whom maintain the unicorn that is 100% completion. Perfectionism is a paradox which often causes more harm than it does good. Yet there are those of us whom try to make the best of it and try to manage it akin to an affliction. You sound like you are further along in that process than many of us here. Colour me jealous!

53 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

100% is the only thing I care about. If someday it breaks, we'll see what I do, but until that day there is no meaning in the hobby for me if my account isn't 100%

?️ Said day need never 'arrive' because you have not played anything of any real difficulty that would ever threaten said 100% completion (at least to date.) If you avoid the most difficult sub 1% challenges and solely derive enjoyment from completing moderately difficult video games and then moving onto likewise, i have no doubt you can maintain your 100% completion for as long as you remain motivated to finish'.

Oh and finally.....as for me? I require BEYOND 100% completion. It isn't enough. I tend to seek out the rarest and most soul destroying obstacles that i believe possible to overcome. I've seen profiles with hundreds of games and the lowest rarity % trophy is 4-5%. In my world? That is tantamount to kicking a football/soccer ball against the side of a house ad nauseam. Knowing exactly how it will impact and return to you each and every occasion. No challenge nor 'risk' attached. Yet we all derive enjoyment and personal satisfaction from different pursuits in life. Those profile owners do NOT live 'in my world' (and would be relieved about this!) If they....or YOU....enjoy variety, spontaneity and not feeling the need to micro-manage every new game and trophy pursuit? MORE POWER TO YOU because you possess the energy i strive for and are waaaayyyyyy ahead of my curve....

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Good luck :)

This response is like from a cartoon, you even completed it with a smiley face emote. But yes, it's easy to be judgmental like you were in your post and then turn around and go "lol don't take it so seriously" - since you really are just trying to dodge the criticism I understand trying to make it about me calling you out and not you saying some dumb stuff

As for @TheQuisling, you're the most confusingly judgmental one here. I can respect your profile but you shouldn't gatekeep 100%'ing. Take that effort to leaderboard chasers with 100% accounts filled with 80%+ games if you must

Just now, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

This response is like from a cartoon, you even completed it with a smiley face emote. But yes, it's easy to be judgmental like you were in your post and then turn around and go "lol don't take it so seriously" - since you really are just trying to dodge the criticism I understand trying to make it about me calling you out and not you saying some dumb stuff

You have learned nothing. Did you even read my post?

Just now, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

As for @TheQuisling, you're the most confusingly judgmental one here. I can respect your profile but you shouldn't gatekeep 100%'ing.

Oh, so you're going to have a fight with someone else now? lol

TheQuisling's post was incredibly thoughtful, respectful and laid out...

You should learn to laugh a bit more, Ha Ha!

You know, like your avatar name seems to suggest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You have learned nothing. Did you even read my post?

Oh, so you're going to have a fight with someone else now? lol

TheQuisling's post was incredibly thoughtful, respectful and laid out...

You should learn to laugh a bit more, Ha Ha!

You know, like your avatar name seems to suggest.

I learned about all I needed to from your posts yes. You're just a judgmental dude, it's fine. I'm way more willing to field his criticisms because he actually has an account I respect. But I've seen your posts elsewhere and it's just disappointing to have read what you said on the first page

Think I'd like to aim for 95% or so long term, gives me some leeway If I don't want to finish a game or certain trophies being too hard. Got a few games on my profile which could be upped quite considerably to get closer to this. However, I'm wanting to play new games often so I tend to put them off.

The irony is in all of this, I had no intention when I jumped from Xbox to PlayStation to go for trophies to this level. It just sorta happened as I kept getting platinums quite often. On Xbox, I think my completion rate was 65% or so, as I only really got 100% on the games I really enjoyed. Found my enjoyment for games was higher when trying to go for the 100% just in general, in addition to get getting more out of them. 

However I don't have the patience for 100%, power to those here that do. Some accounts in this thread are really, really impressive. 

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

There's some criticism here that's worth addressing. 

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It's a ridiculous amount to maintain and all it does is mostly ruin your fun of just playing games for fun, plus you avoid games that are too hard/unsure of and don't splash out on brand new games or IP that you might like but have never played before so the risk corners you off and limits fun you could be having.

I don't know if you meant to do this, but you sort of spoke in absolutes. I think there are certainly people who will make a 100% account, just for the sake of having one, I suppose. But I want to instead offer some perspective into your ideals of what it means to have a 100% account: 

For me, I've been trophy hunting for a very long time. Longer than many here, I imagine. As soon as I got a PS3, I was into trophy hunting. However, I noticed poor habits that I developed and how they affected my behaviour. 

1.) I would pursue games with plats that were standardized and easily attainable. Even if involved playing games that I disliked. For example, on an older account, I platinum'd Hellblade. That was a huge mistake, as I didn't like the game. I would look at my account with disgust, admittedly. Not only was it a very easy Platinum, it's a wretched game that I got nothing out of. With this account, I'm playing stuff that I like. My favourite developer is PlatinumGames, so I'll be earning all of the PlatinumGames platinum trophies on this account (only have one more to do, actually). But I also will be pursuing difficult games that align with my interest. Armored Core: Verdict Day and Tetris Effect, for example, are games I wish to play and get the platinum trophies -- as I know that I will like those games. Just looking at those rarities, you can see it definitely is risky (especially with the former requiring online and being a very old game). 

Here is a quote I want to offer you: 

“Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard.”

Putting my account "at risk" is going to be a part of the enjoyment. I spent far too long pursuing games that meant nothing to me. Now that I've gotten older, have a career going while also going to school, this limits my free time. My free time for trophy hunting will only be met with games I wish to play, and wish to "risk". Difficultly is meant to be overcome, so I will be constantly be doing difficult games; as that's what stimulates me. Not games like Uncharted or Hellblade, where, despite their popularity, do nothing for me. 

Also, I don't just play on PlayStation. I largely play games on PC and Switch, actually -- but PlayStation has a trophy economy that facilitates cool statistics that I like partaking in. 

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

100% is not a healthy or fun target to achieve. You will want to break away from it, eventually.

Here's another example of me saying you're speaking in absolutes. I'm not sure how you deduced this as, the more I invest in the hobby, the more I want to keep my 100%. You and I aren't clairvoyant, so I can only say what I have gotten out of this so far. 

--

Also, your interaction with Deadly_Ha_Ha is about how he viewed your comment as snide. Just something to consider. It isn't about your view on 100% accounts, it's how you chose to express it. 

I know I have 3 games on my list that are unobtainable now. Shadow of Mordor (I think), Drawn to Death, and Loadout. But I’m looking at around 93% if I get around to them all. Main goal is currently 90%

but if I really wanted to do that. I’d have to go for two games ive completely dropped out on. Chime Sharp is one as I thought it was a simple game. So I did no research on it. Terrible idea on my part lmao. Another is SAO hollow fragment. Reason why 94% can beat the tutorial. But the next trophy is at 33% and just gets rarer every floor. The combat mechanics was garbage. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I don't know if you meant to do this, but you sort of spoke in absolutes. I think there are certainly people who will make a 100% account, just for the sake of having one, I suppose. But I want to instead offer some perspective into your ideals of what it means to have a 100% account: 

For me, I've been trophy hunting for a very long time. Longer than many here, I imagine. As soon as I got a PS3, I was into trophy hunting. However, I noticed poor habits that I developed and how they affected my behaviour. 

1.) I would pursue games with plats that were standardized and easily attainable. Even if involved playing games that I disliked. For example, on an older account, I platinum'd Hellblade. That was a huge mistake, as I didn't like the game. I would look at my account with disgust, admittedly. Not only was it a very easy Platinum, it's a wretched game that I got nothing out of. With this account, I'm playing stuff that I like. My favourite developer is PlatinumGames, so I'll be earning all of the PlatinumGames platinum trophies on this account (only have one more to do, actually). But I also will be pursuing difficult games that align with my interest. Armored Core: Verdict Day and Tetris Effect, for example, are games I wish to play and get the platinum trophies -- as I know that I will like those games. Just looking at those rarities, you can see it definitely is risky (especially with the former requiring online and being a very old game). 

Here is a quote I want to offer you: 

“Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard.”

Putting my account "at risk" is going to be a part of the enjoyment. I spent far too long pursuing games that meant nothing to me. Now that I've gotten older, have a career going while also going to school, this limits my free time. My free time for trophy hunting will only be met with games I wish to play, and wish to "risk". Difficultly is meant to be overcome, so I will be constantly be doing difficult games; as that's what stimulates me. Not games like Uncharted or Hellblade, where, despite their popularity, do nothing for me. 

Also, I don't just play on PlayStation. I largely play games on PC and Switch, actually -- but PlayStation has a trophy economy that facilitates cool statistics that I like partaking in. 

Here's another example of me saying you're speaking in absolutes. I'm not sure how you deduced this as, the more I invest in the hobby, the more I want to keep my 100%. You and I aren't clairvoyant, so I can only say what I have gotten out of this so far. 

--

Also, your interaction with Deadly_Ha_Ha is about how he viewed your comment as snide. Just something to consider. It isn't about your view on 100% accounts, it's how you chose to express it. 

I speak to this man every other day and he is a good person, who started trophy hunting back in 2009 or so. You're just reinstating what a lot of people here already know. His own trophy list shows the games he enjoys playing.

This post would of been better off directed at someone who has only started trophy hunting a year or two ago, who may not have the trophy hunting experience as someone who has done it for over a decade. The guy you are talking to has been trophy hunting for a very long time as well, so I don't see the point this post is trying to convey.

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

I speak to this man every other day and he is a good person, who started trophy hunting back in 2009 or so. You're just reinstating what a lot of people here already know. His own trophy list shows the games he enjoys playing.

This post would of been better off directed at someone who has only started trophy hunting a year or two ago, who may not have the trophy hunting experience as someone who has done it for over a decade. The guy you are talking to has been trophy hunting for a very long time as well, so I don't see the point this post is trying to convey.

My point was that he spoke in absolutes -- and I gave my own anecdotes/insight. Not looking to change his mind; only offer how I treat my own account.

He and I agree these bullshit games that flood on PSN have got to go, so I walked into the discussion with good faith. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

That was a great post.

I will just reply by simply iterating that as with life, it's impossible to be 100% complete on everything. For every trophy list that is 100% completed almost none of them have very difficult platinums on them. For every genre there is a hard game or even if it is not hard, it might be some sort of human suffering that a person has to grind for 1000 hours such as on White knight chronicles, for a person who strives to stay at 100% completion, these people will avoid these games.

There are great games like:

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Sine Mora

Tetris Effect

Catherine

Ikaruga

For every genre there are many games

And so like I say it's stupid to try and maintain 100% because it means avoiding challenges. And there's also games with servers that are now offline. One of them might be the best game in the entire world but likely won't be played because it breaks the 100% dependency.

It's no different from people aiming for high numbers of trophies by playing a ton of easy games.

Trying to maintain a standard requires you to purposely change your behavior in order to maintain those goals. If you're happy with that, then that is fine.

That's just not me. For the reasons I have stated, since opinions are subjective nobody is correct.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

How quickly this thread, which only asked about what people consider about their own account, became swipes and call-outs for other people’s view points and accounts. Some people just have no self control, I guess.

I offered an answer to the OP's inquiry, as well as partook in another dialogue. To which @enaysoft and I were civil to each other, despite us obviously not seeing eye-to-eye on everything. 

I recommend you delete posts you find offensive. Or the entire thread, rather -- as it's what your own impulses dictate on this site; as you've proven throughout my time here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I recommend you delete posts you find offensive. Or the entire thread, rather -- as it's what your own impulses dictate on this site; as you've proven throughout my time here. 

Now this is something I definitely agree with :)

• Like 1

And honestly, I did the same. I answered the OP, and then took exception to @enaysoft. He's a cool dude and I'm sorry that I snapped so quickly to the offense I took in what he said, even though I still feel that exact way, I at least don't need anyone coming in and grandstanding about deteriorating comments. And fwiw, @DrBloodmoney isn't a fool and I'm sure he could have foreseen this topic causing some debate shall we say

• Like 3

I have one game on my profile that is impossible to 100%, so a 100% profile is out of the cards for me. It bums me out that this is the case because I wanted it to be a choice not to have a 100% profile-- and always have the choice to try to 100% the profile-- rather than something beyond my control. But here we are...

Along with the 1 impossible game, there are also a handful of games that I don't intend to go back to. I think that my realistic ceiling is probably about 98.5-99% once I go back to the various titles that I still want to clean up.

• Like 1

Great topic , I'm pretty sure I can get a 99.5% profile, currently 99.01% . I have a fair few unobtainable and too hard trophies that I'll never be able to get,  but if I concentrate on my backlog,  it should happen. Doesn't help the kids started minecraft dungeons on my account and now have no desire to play it.  Stranded on 41%. 

• Like 1

My goal is to hit 90. I’m admittedly a ways off as I’m around 76 percent now, but have been working on some major cleanup. I do have some unobtainables, but my goal is to hit 85 by the end of the year and 90 by next spring. 

• Like 1

Realistically my ceiling is probably around 75%, or I should reiterate that by saying that's about as far as I'm willing to go with the amount of free time I have at this point in my life. I started actively hunting plats at the beginning of last year and my completion was 47% at that time. I made it my goal last year to get it above 60% (which I made happen) and this year I plan to get it above 70% (which I'm on pace to hit). Luckily for me before I started "trophy hunting" I was still pretty adamant about at the very least beating a game before moving onto something else unless I was REALLY not feeling it so my completion percentage could've been a lot worse for sure. I'll be more than content with a 75% completion percentage and realistically I probably wont get there till mid next year, but it is what it is till then. I'm in no rush at all. Great topic though @DrBloodmoney, I always enjoy perusing your content man.

• Like 1

Not counting the game I’m playing at the moment I have 25 incomplete games on my profile, 8 of which are impossible to 100%. Once I’ve completed Nioh 2 my completion rate will be around 96.15%.

My aim is to get 99.99% but realistically I’d either have to complete all games I can complete and earn whatever trophies I can in games I can’t complete then keep 100%ing every game I play till I reach that figure but that likely won’t happen. Most of my incomplete games are for the PS3 and going back to it feels like a chore sometimes but I do plan to complete a few of them and I only have 3 unstarted PS3 games on my backlog.

My current goal is to get high enough above 96% that starting a new game won’t drop it below that. My next goal will be 97% then high enough above that so it doesn’t drop below it on starting a new game and so on. However my completion rate is high enough that 100%ing a new game without DLC gains me ~0.02% (if not 0.01%) so once again it’s going to rely on completing games already on my profile to make any real gains.

• Like 1