What’s your ‘Realistic Completion Ceiling’?

DrBloodmoney

tenor.gif

@enaysoft @Deadly_Ha_Ha

Crikey - I went to bed, and it seems while I was asleep y’all got into the sugar cupboard ?

This thread wasn’t meant to be about being judgemental about other folks goals - more just an interesting look at the different ways different peoples approaches to gaming affects what they see as their own ceiling.

Personally, I can respect a 100% profile, but remember - you guys are arguing from very different standpoints.

@enaysoft’s profile is like mine - it dates right back to 2009 - so I would assume it is his only profile, and he isn’t using ‘alt’ profiles. As such, his point of view is totally understandable (and actually one I share,) - 100% is a pretty lofty (and in many cases, literally unachievable) goal for a profile that long in the tooth.

@Deadly_Ha_Ha’s profile is newer, and so 100% is more of a ‘development’ goal than a ‘maintenance’ one - which makes it a little more realistic, though still worthwhile if enjoyment is found in it - and he is hardly avoiding all difficult games. There is plenty of challenge on it.

I think the reason this argument is flaring up is that you aren’t comparing apples to apples.

Remember - if you are comparing to a profile that goes back to 2009, then @Deadly_Ha_Ha - you would also need to include your @oro_castoro profile in the calculation too, as that one shows most of your pre-2018 gaming - which would (not to get too technical) mean you have an actual completion rate of around 62.30% - well below @enaysoft’s.

The different in outlook is simply because you guys took a different path - one chose to stick with an old profile and one restarted with a new one.
Both are perfectly valid of course - but it does mean they two are not really directly comparable anymore :dunno:

What it does speak to though - is exactly what this thread was about in the first place - different gaming habits and outlooks result in different goals - and different completion ceilings ?☺️☮️

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Goddamn, this thread. You lot will fight about anything.

Without sitting down and scrutinizing the math, I'd say somewhere in the mid-80s. Most of my incomplete games don't require online stuffs, or if they do I've already finished it.

Now I think about it, this would be a nice sorting feature for PSNProfiles. Just calculate based on user submitted data what the highest completion percentage is.

• Like 2

If I can hit and maintain 85% that would do be fine (currently 83.7%), but I'm not really all that bothered. My drive and desire to trophy hunt is almost gone and I have very little free time, I'd much rather have fun playing Risk of Rain 2 than force myself to go back to a game I didn't enjoy.

• Like 1

For me, it's in the high 70's low 80's.  I like to do as much as I can in one playthrough.  I play these long ass 60+ hour games.  And 70 to 80 is about where that falls.  Speedruns are not my forte.  And I don't like the, "Okay, now play it again on Super Dee Duper Ultra Max Extreme Difficulty" trophies.  And on top of that, there's ten games at the bottom of my list I don't own.  And Crescent Pale Mist and Scott Pilgrim (PS3) are impossible to get.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

I did hit the ceiling in 2017 when I switched from the PS3 to the PS4 with 99.68%. Only 12 trophies left that were unobtainable.

I'm going through a completion patch just now, then my mind will switch to trying to get as many of the games that I have purchased onto my profile (harder than I thought), then back to completion.

Maybe I might 80% one day, but with how I keep switching, I'll be lucky to hit 70%.

yOqXDcy.jpg

What site did you get this graph from?

I want to play games that i believe I am going like and enjoy that’s my main goal, that’s what’s gaming is about in my book, after that my ocd kicks in and I want to 100% the games I play, so I guess 100% trophy wise! I am kinda new on PlayStation ( always Nintendo fan since 1986 ) but maintaining the 100% with all the dlc becomes little expensive lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

It's from a spreadsheet I created along with other stats. I don't know if there is a site that has a completion graph, which is a shame as I think it says a lot about your profile.

Probably not - would be a cool thing to see, (I'd love to see mine) but would be a lot of info getting stored for every player to be able to generate one

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

It's from a spreadsheet I created along with other stats. I don't know if there is a site that has a completion graph, which is a shame as I think it says a lot about your profile.

Damn! I would love to see how my completion rate varied throughout the years.

To answer the actual topic, I would say 95% is a realistic ceiling for me. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said 98-99%, but nowadays I just don't have half as much time to invest into this hobby like I used to. I don't have an issue returning to older games - 13 games with a completion time of 3+ years and counting - but the desire to do so is fading a bit as time goes on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

Damn! I would love to see how my completion rate varied throughout the years.

To answer the actual topic, I would say 95% is a realistic ceiling for me. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said 98-99%, but nowadays I just don't have half as much time to invest into this hobby like I used to. I don't have an issue returning to older games - 13 games with a completion time of 3+ years and counting - but the desire to do so is fading a bit as time goes on.

Best you can really do is check the wayback machine ?

I definitely had already started concentrating on trophies by the time I joined this site though - my first archived profile page on here is right after getting my 100th plat, so not really a good representation of the beginning of my trophy hunting days...

What's funny is, my world rank is not much better in this (2013) as it is now ?

Screenshot-2021-07-13-at-19-40-10.png

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I've unwittingly been above 85%. I would say 90% would be possible in a more realistic view, but I don't see myself as a completionist (only games where I have some personal drive, but a completionist would be someone who wants everything in ?) so 90% can be a reality a day even though I'm not working for it

8 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

@DrBloodmoney That's pretty cool! I only have one archived page on that site from November 2012. My profile wasn't looking too shabby if I say so myself ? Man, the site has come a long way since then!

CNEogK6.png

It gives me a weird feeling lol it feels like a lifetime since then

It's been a while since I calculated it, but I think my actual ceiling was around 98% in terms of unobtainables - with games that I'm unlikely to complete for other reasons I think it's realistic for me to hit 97% one day.... but it's a long way to go yet! Though because I tend to play fairly erratically, I set myself short term goals to slowly build up to rather than focussing on the end point so my estimate might be well off in the end.

Either way, as long as I keep playing games I like I don't really mind. Completionism is a nice aim for me but not something I expect to ever be strict on despite some lofty goals!

• Like 3

Interesting topic! I'm honestly not sure what my ceiling will be, as my account continues to grow and more games are added it will be difficult to maintain such a high completion rate. Especially when you consider the difficulty of the games I play and genre diversity as I will play pretty much anything unless it's sport or an MMO. I think I have done relatively well with my account so far, of course nobody is perfect. 100% is unobtainable for my account because I have 10 unobtainable trophies. Perfection is only temporary unless you reach it and then abandon the account.  

My next goal is to try and hit 97% which would be an incredible personal achievement but I don't think I will reach that for a while. I'd probably have to add and complete 2-3 games to reach that milestone but we'll see how that goes!

• Like 2

I always go for the aim of getting 100% game completion on this account. But I treat it the same way I did when I used to do weight training. I didn't lift 100kg and then make my next target 200kg, I went for 105kg and work from there. So in gaming I don't have a milestone to aim for, just do them one game at a time. Because I mostly play single player games, then only way I can really wreck this profile is by getting to a point in a game where my skill just won't allow it. Only 2 games have had me close so far. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

only way I can really wreck this profile is by getting to a point in a game where my skill just won't allow it. 

You consider a profile that isn't 100% completable a 'wreck'??

Harsh dude! ?

Guess I know what you think of mine - and most folks with ones like mine  ? ?

My ceiling right now is my current completion at 99.94%. So unless 505 Games decides to patch the glitched Indivisible trophies, I can only get a higher % by starting more and more games. I get annoyed by the glitched trophies at times but there's nothing I can do about it.

• Like 1

Probably, I'm able to get 60% if I decide to platinum some common games on my list like Control or Fallen Order or Assassin's Creed. However, due to the lack of willingness to platinum every game I have, the only thing I can do is kiss my ass or start platinum easy games, which will never happen, no matter what.

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

Hmm... according to math I have enough unobtainable trophies to put the ceiling at almost 99.5%.

Realistically I have so many more trophies that I either have not got the skills, determination, desire or time for.

Someone mentioned White Knight Chronicles.. I'm not going to grind over 900 more hours into a game just for a handful of trophies. There's more fun ways to obtain them, and I'd rather play more games than stick to one for (at my play-rate) almost another year. Sure, the prestige of getting the platinum after the servers went down is huge, but not worth it.

The recent spree of returning to PS3 games and completing them (or increasing their completion anyway) did raise my completion percentage by quite a bit, from low 80's to a neat 94%.

Right now I'd say my attainable roof would be somewhere near 97%. Not that I'd ever reach that. I'm perfectly happy having gone far beyond my goal of 90%+.

I can always start more games (looking at you, 250+ PS4 games backlog) to increase that percentage.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I always go for the aim of getting 100% game completion on this account. But I treat it the same way I did when I used to do weight training. I didn't lift 100kg and then make my next target 200kg, I went for 105kg and work from there. So in gaming I don't have a milestone to aim for, just do them one game at a time. Because I mostly play single player games, then only way I can really wreck this profile is by getting to a point in a game where my skill just won't allow it. Only 2 games have had me close so far. 

Dave I like you man but be honest your profile is fake overall, you had someone help you with judgement.

And to add to the topic, I actually am striving for 100% on this profile, it’s gonna be a long project that will undoubtedly takes years but as long as I’m enjoying gaming it’s all good.

Im the kind of person who enjoys challenging myself, and so I’ll never be one of these low risk 100% accounts.

As long as a game interests me I’ll 100% it. Can be a sub 1 or 20 idc.

Heres the goal for this account-

200 platinums

100% completion Rate

300 Ultra Rares

5 Sub 1 plats

More fighting games

more jrpgs

Those are my standards, if I can’t reach it then I don’t deserve 100%.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

This is a hard question to answer, but I think honestly 100% is still the goal for my ceiling. Due to PSN reasons I won't go into, I restarted my account in February of 2020, but I already have 27 games on my profile, and I'm only missing one trophy, which is very attainable - just time consuming.

I don't play a LOT of multiplayer games, but the ones that I do I tend to really stick to, so I get the platinums for. I'd say the only thing that could *eventually* be my downfall, is if I decide to play an NFL or MLB game in the future. I have done so in the past here and there, so it really varies. I don't 'choose' games only if I can platinum them, so we'll see. 

I will however likely get my one outlying trophy before I start in on my next game, so it will be exciting to see 100% for the first time ever in my profile!

Edited by Gnorizon
  • Like 1