What’s your ‘Realistic Completion Ceiling’?

DrBloodmoney

8 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Dave I like you man but be honest your profile is fake overall, you had someone help you with judgement.

And to add to the topic, I actually am striving for 100% on this profile, it’s gonna be a long project that will undoubtedly takes years but as long as I’m enjoying gaming it’s all good.

Im the kind of person who enjoys challenging myself, and so I’ll never be one of these low risk 100% accounts.

As long as a game interests me I’ll 100% it. Can be a sub 1 or 20 idc.

Heres the goal for this account-

200 platinums

100% completion Rate

300 Ultra Rares

5 Sub 1 plats

More fighting games

more jrpgs

Those are my standards, if I can’t reach it then I don’t deserve 100%.

Man, you've done some crazy stuff on your account. 

Yeah, I want to keep it 100% on mine, but it's also important that I play games that I like and ones I'm obsessed with. For example, sometimes I will aim for the world record on fastest time to platinum with some games. I've done that for Transformers: Devastation -- both on PS3 and PS4, and Vanquish on PS3 (which is my favourite game ever made).

I agree that having a "low risk" account is pointless, but I think it's important, sort of as you stated, to play the games you like. If you have a 100% account and want to pursue a platinum that's really hard, well, you just gotta get in there. Avoiding it because you feel it may be insurmountable is boring. The thrill comes from being contested. That goes for me pursuing fastest plat times, too. 

--

On my account, I want to be the only person in the world who has platinum'd all of the PlatinumGames titles. So, I got most of those done -- only have one more now. 

Once that's over, the sky's the limit. Some stuff I want to go for down the line: 

• Armored Core: Verdict Day
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Tetris Effect

I'm going for these games not just because they're hard, but because I also really like them. :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Man, you've done some crazy stuff on your account. 

Yeah, I want to keep it 100% on mine, but it's also important that I play games that I like and ones I'm obsessed with. For example, sometimes I will aim for the world record on fastest time to platinum with some games. I've done that for Transformers: Devastation -- both on PS3 and PS4, and Vanquish on PS3 (which is my favourite game ever made).

I agree that having a "low risk" account is pointless, but I think it's important, sort of as you stated, to play the games you like. If you have a 100% account and want to pursue a platinum that's really hard, well, you just gotta get in there. Avoiding it because you feel it may be insurmountable is boring. The thrill comes from being contested. That goes for me pursuing fastest plat times, too. 

--

On my account, I want to be the only person in the world who has platinum'd all of the PlatinumGames titles. So, I got most of those done -- only have one more now. 

Once that's over, the sky's the limit. Some stuff I want to go for down the line: 

• Armored Core: Verdict Day
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Tetris Effect

I'm going for these games not just because they're hard, but because I also really like them. :)

Yes to vanquish, still the most unique 3rd person shooter I’ve ever played and a damn rewarding platinum to boot.

Maybe one day will get MGR remastered? A man can dream I guess.?

But getting back on topic…

Challenging yourself(to me at least) is a big part of he experience of being a trophy hunter.

If I was gonna cherry pick my profile or games I’d honestly would be so bored and miss out on so many great experiences.

To me having a 100%/100% goal profile has to be done with a few guidelines this way you hopefully won’t end up hating yourself or gaming along the way.

1.Play whatever you want and don’t be scared to go out of your comfort zone.

If a game really interests you just go for it.

I played and platinumed Catherine this month.

It was completely new to me and it was hard early on but by sticking it out it ended up being one of the most rewarding games I’ve done on my account.

2.Don’t use a alt, I only say this cus your 1st time playing a game is usually your strongest memories with said game.

If you do your basically defeating the whole purpose of actually playing on your profile, plus it’s fake as hell.

If you don’t want to play a game just don’t play it.

Be natural how you approach things.

3.Always be willing to let your account go, if a game breaks your profile then just accept it and move on.

Dont go rushing to start a new profile or some shit. Take as a part of the experience.

Your not perfect and the longer you play on that profile then the more likely you end up realizing it.

So mentally prepare yourself now.

Good luck to you tho man and everybody who embarks on their trophy hunting journey.

Be honest, always strive to be better, and most importantly have fun.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

I was sitting on 71-73% for the longest time, until the start of this year I decided I wanted to finally hit 75% and keep that by the end of the year. I’m sitting on 75.8% now. I’ve gone up to 77% earlier this year just by going through old titles, but I’ve been naughty lately and started a few new games that will take a while to work on. I’ll aim to keep 75% this year, and aim for 80% next year and then reassess. 

I managed to get another one of my yearly goals done this week, getting my 10000th trophy, so I’m quite happy with where I am in terms of my goals for now. It’s quite liberating having unobtainables on my profile, because I don’t have to stress myself over what I play to maintain the possibility of 100%. Each to their own though, fair play to anyone who can game that way! Gaming is for our enjoyment, and we all enjoy it in different ways. 

• Like 2

AFAIK I don't have any unobtainables so in theory 100% would be possible but I know I'll never hit that but something like 98+ might be possible. My current goal is to get an average of less than 1 unearned trophy per game played, currently I've played 365 games and have 472 unearned trophies so that's an average of 1.293 per game.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

You consider a profile that isn't 100% completable a 'wreck'?1f631.png

Harsh dude! 1f602.png

Guess I know what you think of mine - and most folks with ones like mine  1f4a9.png 1f604.png

I was talking about my own profile. And I have no idea what your profile. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that, but other peoples profiles mean nothing to me, nor should they. 

5 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I was talking about my own profile. And I have no idea what your profile. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that, but other peoples profiles mean nothing to me, nor should they. 

S’cool man, I’m only joshing ?

• Like 1

So back in 2013-2014 I took a look at my profile and was very unhappy with my 42% completion. I kept starting games that I almost knew I just wouldn't enjoy enough to care to complete them, that's why if you look at the early days of my profile I have a lot of games incomplete on the PS3. So while I knew I would never have a 100% profile (as I'm generally willing to give up if I'm just not having fun to the point I'm dreading even looking at the game anymore). I wanted something better...couple this with Mass Effect 2 (Insanity run) on PS3 teaching me what I DON'T want out of my video games...I knew I needed to take a different approach to what I play, this meant that I needed to stop playing stuff I just don't care about just to say I played it, and would mean that some games I might have a slight interest in, if too difficult, I would have to skip them (with some exceptions)...so usually these days 6/10 Plat difficulty is my cut off point, and even that gets me to say "ehhhh, I don't know". So my goal was 70%.

And I achieved that in 2017 I think, I was much happier with my profile...but I didn't want to stop there. Eventually I reached 75%, but I noticed every time I started a new game I'd lose near 2%. Here were are several years later, and I'm teetering on 84%, but like back then every time I start something I lose more than I gain because of those old games sitting on my profile that I just don't want to play (or couldn't complete anyways). And I kind of screwed myself recently, as I was under the impression that the PS5 version of AC: Valhalla auto-popped trophies and for whatever reason, mine won't...which means I took a big hit with that one (I can only hope the Siege of Paris DLC does something to allow them to pop), and as much as I enjoyed Valhalla, I don't have it in me to go another 200 hours in that game. 

Overall, I think I can...as a long term goal....achieve 90%. But that'll be a long road ahead, it's not happening any time soon and I know the closer I get to that number the harder it'll be to hit it. And by 90% I mean more like whatever percent I need to where starting the next game doesn't drop me to 89.9% or below, but to solidly be in the 90% range. I'd be really proud to have that...but even at the 83% range now, I've surpassed my original goal and enjoy being here as well. I'd say by next year I could hit 85%...so that'll be a short term goal. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

I would say 60% maybe... All my fifa's are pulling me down, since i can't be bothered to do the online/UT stuff. But i will keep buying the new fifa's and play career, do the easy trophies (those i CAN). I really don't care about my %, as long as i platinum the games i feel like, and play what i want :) 

• Like 1

100% is still obtainable for me, but I know I'm not getting there any time soon.  Pretty much I have a few that are tricky and are going to take me having a lot of patience and that's not as likely to be present as long as I still have a backlog on here.  99.50% I feel is a realistic point to be able to reach and keep while wrapping up the backlog until I can wrap up those last few games like Zuma, Muramasa Rebirth, Sparkle Unleashed, and so on.

• Like 2

A glitch (Breach & Clear) and some twitch (Sine Mora, Pix the Cat) make 100% unrealistic for me.  I plan to complete the rest, inching closer and closer to the impossible 100% barrier.  I like to archive screen shots of my profile each time it reaches a new peak (last personal best was 99.75% in October 2020).

P.S. - Props to everyone who answered the original post without preaching to others.

• Like 2

My subscription to this website last year during the lockdown gave me the motivation to go after all the unfinished games in my profile (GTA IV, GTA V, Red Dead, Fifa, Batman and so on). I started a few games along the way like Spiderman to freshen up a little. A few days ago I got the platinum for NBA 2K20 which was the last unfinished game in my profile that wasn't unobtainable. My completion was 98.31%.

Every game I start now gets my % up by 0.02 if I 100% it. I basically reached my peak in terms of unfinished games, so I would say 98% is my max, it would take a lot of new games I have to complete at 100% to get above 99%. 

I have 107 unobtainable trophies in my profile shared between Uncharted II, III and Burnout Paradise on PS3. I'm a lil bit frustrated that I would never be able to finish them to be honest, I wasn't aware of the servers closure in 2019 for Uncharted, nor was I able to play them before the shutdown, so I guess it will stay that way. 

• Like 1

I hope I can get it up to 95% but I think a realistic number is more around 90%, will probably take me a couple of years but I think it's doable now I'm actively focusing on cleaning up my account. 

Besides the trophies that are above my skill level it mainly depends on how many unobtainables I have, I know I've already got quite a few and it's only going to keep increasing as servers for games keep shutting down before I get to them, I hate multiplayer grinds so I would probably rather let something become unobtainable than force myself to get it done because a server closure has been announced

• Like 3

I think for anyone going for 100% the only thing to keep in mind that it doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

There are just so many threads of people starting over, giving up completely or having mini breakdowns because new dlc came out, online servers closed or they tried some game out that proved too difficult.

When it gets to that point you need to abandon the 100% goal and realize it is more fun to play what you want instead of playing just easy games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I think for anyone going for 100% the only thing to keep in mind that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

As if any other accomplishment does?  No matter what grades you achieved, or records you broke, or children you sired, in 100 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally dead.  In 1,000 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally forgotten.  In the "grand scheme of things" this planet will eventually be destroyed by our Sun's inevitable nova burst.  EDIT:  Step back far enough, and no ambition/accomplishment matters in the grand scheme of things.

The original post asked what you thought about "your realistic completion ceiling".  Leave the rest of us alone.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I think for anyone going for 100% the only thing to keep in mind that it doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

There are just so many threads of people starting over, giving up completely or having mini breakdowns because new dlc came out, online servers closed or they tried some game out that proved too difficult.

When it gets to that point you need to abandon the 100% goal and realize it is more fun to play what you want instead of playing just easy games.

You’re not wrong.

I mean, realistically, none of the aspects of profiles matter really though - we are all simply playing in a labyrinthine maze of self-imposed ‘rules’ and challenges- it’s all just ways we use to add structure to the fun we have.

I’m not the type to get driven to distraction by an unfinishable game (if I was, I’d have ground myself into catatonic gaming inertia long ago ?) - but I don’t really think folks who place a huge value on a 100% profile are doing anything any more (or less) futile than any other self-imposed goals :dunno:

The only thing I really can’t stomach, is people who have started over, or who use ‘Alt’ profiles to maintain the completion rate of their ‘main’ profile - then negatively judging other peoples profiles based on Completion rate.

There are a few folks on PSNP I see quite often passing judgement (solicited or otherwise) on other profiles and saying things like “you need to work on your backlog” or “your completion rate is not great” to people with profiles that go all the way back to the beginning of the trophy era - but when you look at their own profile it is barely 3 or 4 years old - or they have openly admitted to using burner profiles to ‘test out’ games before putting them on their ‘main’ one.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either practice - people should do what makes them happy…

BUT

…If you have ever started a new profile, or have ever used an ‘alt’ profile, then you lose any right to use completion percentage as a metric to judge other peoples profiles.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I find it weird that every time a topic about 100% completion comes around people automatically assume a couple of things.

- They only play easy games to protect 100%
- They have a secondary account to play harder games

I just want to point out that this is not true. I know quite a few completionists on this site and none of them do anything like this. 

In fact, this stupid accusation often comes from people that are close to 100% but can never make it, so therefore they express their frustration on the people that can.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

As if any other accomplishment does?  No matter what grades you achieved, or records you broke, or children you sired, in 100 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally dead.  In 1,000 years everyone reading this thread will all be equally forgotten.  In the "grand scheme of things" this planet will eventually be destroyed by our Sun's inevitable nova burst.

The original post asked what you thought about "your realistic completion ceiling".  Leave the rest of us alone.

Alright...but that doesnt mean we dont have dozens of threads where people feel trapped by their profile because they cannot maintain  100%. I, and a few others, are just giving friendly warnings that 100% is a lofty goal but dont allow it to consume you as so many others have.

I have no idea why you brought up the world ending and people being forgotten. What the heck does that have to do with anything. 

10 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

I find it weird that every time a topic about 100% completion comes around people automatically assume a couple of things.

I just want to point out that this is not true. I know quite a few completionists on this site and none of them do anything like this. 

In fact, this stupid accusation often comes from people that are close to 100% but can never make it, so therefore they express their frustration on the people that can.

Or it is people that have read the dozens of threads by past users that talk about their hobby taking over their lives.

We were getting a new thread every couple of weeks at one point

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

I don’t know if this is aimed at me - but if so, you should remember - I’m not talking about everyone, I’m talking about people who openly admit to having started over or to having ‘alt’ accounts…

…yet still profess to taking some kind of odd pride in their completion percentage, as if it is anything other than a micro-managed and cultivated statistic (and often use their own fake statistic as a truncheon with which to bludgeon those who don’t use those tactics, and have a ‘less impressive - but real - completion percentage.)

And if you don’t use those tactics, then you should agree with me  - the people I’m talking about are responsible for the generalised assumptions that bother you :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Or it is people that have read the dozens of threads by past users that talk about their hobby taking over their lives.

We were getting a new thread every couple of weeks at one point

Dozens of threads? Come on man. Once again that’s just not true.

I’ve seen a few of these threads, sure. And I’ve seen a few profiles that do protect their main account.

I feel the general consensus on PSNP is that if you’re a completionist, you’re protecting your main account. And that’s just nonsense.

This is just the feeling I have, I hope I’m wrong.

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t know if this is aimed at me - but if so, you should remember - I’m not talking about everyone, I’m talking about people who openly admit to having started over or to having ‘alt’ accounts…

…yet still profess to taking some kind of odd pride in their completion percentage, as if it is anything other than a micro-managed and cultivated statistic (and often use their own fake statistic as a truncheon with which to bludgeon those who don’t use those tactics, and have a ‘less impressive - but real - completion percentage.)

And if you don’t use those tactics, then you should agree with me  - the people I’m talking about are responsible for the generalised assumptions that bother you :dunno:

I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking in general.

Well, to put it to a little test. I started over with a new account, and I use my old account to try out games to see if I like them which I get through Ps Plus and Ps Now. 

Here it is: https://psnprofiles.com/BB-Bakker

And yeah, I still take pride in my completion. I don’t micromanage anything. I don’t have fake statistics. So you can say your assumption is also wrong.

9 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

And yeah, I still take pride in my completion. I don’t micromanage anything. I don’t have fake statistics. So you can say your assumption is also wrong.

It’s not an assumption - there are many fake completion profiles owned by people on this site who diminish others based on completion percentage in threads such as the ‘Rate Each-other’ threads.

That is a fact - it is demonstrable.

The fact that you yourself do not fall in that camp does not make it not so.

I’ve seen an Albino Elephant.

That doesn’t make the statement ‘Elephants are grey’ untrue - it just means there are specific exceptions. :dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s not an assumption - there are many fake completion profiles owned by people on this site who diminish others based on completion percentage in threads such as the ‘Rate Each-other’ threads.

That is a fact - it is demonstrable.

The fact that you yourself do not fall in that camp does not make it not so.

I’ve seen an Albino Elephant.

That doesn’t make the statement ‘Elephants are grey’ untrue - it just means there are specific exceptions. :dunno:

Alright the point I’m actually trying to make is this. These ‘fake’ accounts you’re talking about, which are there ofcourse, are actually much smaller in numbers compared to ‘normal’ completionist accounts. Although they get the same assumptions, as you can see in any topic about 100%, and that annoys me.

I don’t want to hijack this thread any longer, so I’ll leave it at this.

16 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread any longer, so I’ll leave it at this.

No - don’t worry - I started this thread - you aren’t hijacking anything.

While I don’t have statistical data to back it up, I don’t think this:

16 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

These ‘fake’ accounts you’re talking about, which are there ofcourse, are actually much smaller in numbers compared to ‘normal’ completionist accounts.

rings true… at least based on my own anecdotal data.

I have seen very few accounts that date back to 2009 that are at 100%, and even fewer where the owner of the profile has not openly referred to having played some game on ‘another profile’ in some thread or other - or made some overture about wanting to ensure a game has no glitched or unobtainable trophies prior to starting it.

My point is - you (as a person bucking that trend) should be the first person to agree with me. The people I’m talking about are the ones most responsible for the assumption that you feel you are being unfairly caught up in.

By fronting and strutting and peacocking with a cultivated profile, and doing so as a measure against genuine ‘single-profile’ long-term account holders, they are directly and actively promoting the very situation you dislike.

Edited by DrBloodmoney