Psychonauts 2 features an invincibility mode that won't disable achievements/trophies

Killbomb

4 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Great ? I love that including these accessibility modes in games is becoming the norm. They should absolutely not disable trophies either. 

The Last of Us PtII could be completed and platinumed by a blind person. How is that not amazing?!?

What will likely happen more and more is the requirement of higher difficulties etc where the accessibility is disabled, and those trophies I actually tend to dislike, as the difficulty levels are often poorly implemented.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I'm all for this new trend of accessibility in games, a long time coming. I don't need or want to use them so I won't, easy-peasy. Besides, it's Psychonauts, not a game where death is a central, fundamental gameplay mechanic like Souls. In the end, trophies only have the value that you yourself ascribe to them; if you want to challenge yourself and take pride in earning the trophies then go for it and feel accomplished. If they're only a number to you then this is an easy way to rack that number up higher.

Where's my rep points when I need them.

Top hole, sir. 

Well said.??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoniP said:

So you're having your personal challenge devalued by internet brownie points.

No, the trophy has been devalued. It doesn't represent the same thing anymore.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 3

Don't really care if the cheat disables trophies or not. I just wonder if there would be a trophy or two involving the cheat, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a list where one or two trophies require a playthrough without the cheats being activated.

55 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

If you're gonna turn the game into a walking stimulator why not just save yourself the money and watch it on YouTube?

Usually playing games are more fun.

6 minutes ago, MMDE said:

I think you miss the point then. It's not the amount of trophies, it's the trophies themselves. This devalues these trophies. Yes, if you want many trophies, there's more than enough games for that, sucks this has to be that too. In a way, what you said is an argument for why this is a bad thing.

Take Final Fantasy IX, the speedrun trophy is a joke. It's based on an actual speedrun feature in the original game, where if you reached the end of the game in time, you got access to the strongest weapon for a character in the game. It was a challenge that made you learn the game properly to get through it fast. In the ps4 release they made it a trophy, and they give you cheat options to just instant level 99, max money and a speedhack. Yes, you can still do it properly if you want, but the trophy itself doesn't represent the same challenge anymore. You've devalued the trophy.

People don't do a 12 hour speedrun to get a single trophy because they want a lot of trophies, but because they want to do the challenge and get a trophy that represent them successfully completing it.

They don't force you to play on the "super easy mode".

BTW isn't the speed run trophy in FF9 the one where you can just let the clock max out and then finish the game after it goes back to zero to still unlock it? See that's the thing, people will do trophies or achievements the way developers intended them without ever knowing an easier method was already discovered when the game first came out or even years after the fact.

I did the 10,000 PVP kills in Resistance 2 the "legit" way. Is my experience somehow erased because others boosted the kills? No. I actually enjoyed playing the multiplayer. Other people had their go to games for multiplayer as COD or BF but instead I really liked R2. I have absolutely nothing against the people that did boost the trophy. They didn't like the multiplayer, or maybe they weren't skilled enough. Whatever, go boost it. It's their life, they should go and do whatever they want however they want.

I know I'll personally play Psycho 2 on normal difficulty my first run as I usually do with most games. If I miss some things then maybe I'll go back and do them in the invincible mode. You don't have to play it that way, you can do everything in hard mode if that's what you enjoy.

Here's a good anecdote. Way back when I was a kid like seven years old or so I brought some type of video game magazine over to a friends house that contained a strategy guide, I think it was for Mario 64. His uncle overheard me tell my friends that's what I had and then he had to proclaim to us "using a guide is cheating". I'm pretty sure regardless if the guide is telling us what we have to do, we still have to incorporate the skills and actually pull the tips/strats off. Plenty of stuff in that game I don't think most people would figure out on their own, so where's the fun in that? If it was up to him, all these game sites that share guides wouldn't exist. Good thing he doesn't decide these things and good thing I don't let people dictate how I play my games nor do I dictate how others should play theirs. You unlock the 120 stars how you want and let others do it how they want. Someone can go and hack all the stars just to get right to the credits, does that mean you can't still go and enjoy all the fantastic gameplay, levels, music, hat power ups, secrets and everything else Mario has to offer?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Usually playing games are more fun.

They don't force you to play on the "super easy mode".

Someone can go and hack all the stars just to get right to the credits, does that mean you can't still go and enjoy all the fantastic gameplay, levels, music, hat power ups, secrets and everything else Mario has to offer?

Can really break down what you said to this, and I think Deadly Ha Ha sums it up well. We're not talking about playing a game or enjoying it, or about if what others do diminish what I do etc. We're talking about the trophies. What kind of a challenge does the trophies represent having completed?

3 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I think people aren't really understanding what accessibility options are here.... They aren't cheats to make a game easier. They are allowing a whole group of people to feel included and participate in a hobby they love, playing games AND trophy hunting. Any one of you could wake up tomorrow and something could happen that means you can barely hold a controller. With these options you will still be able to play games and earn trophies. I mean seriously.... its like some of you expect the disabled to just sit in a corner ?‍♂️

I don't think most people against a cheat code not disabling trophies is talking about accessibility, they are talking about if it makes the trophies easier.

Edited by MMDE