How do you guys play GT?

Rubieno

Wheel/Controller  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a Wheel or a Controller?

• Wheel
    • Controller

I've got a Logitech G25 wheel on a Wheel Stand Pro (http://wheelstandpro.com/) that I use for sim racers, like Gran Turismo, on a 52" Bravia.

For more casual racers and anything requiring PlayStation face buttons, like Need for Speed, I mount a Logitech Driving Force GT on the edge of my computer desk and play on a 24" PlayStation 3D Display.

Both wheels beat the pants off a controller, except for games that require a lot of change-of-direction drift, like Split Second and Blur, or pure arcade racers like Burnout Paradise and Ridge Racer. In that case, a DualShock is the way forward.

Different tools for different jobs, but a wheel is far superior for GT.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

I've got a Logitech G25 wheel on a Wheel Stand Pro (http://wheelstandpro.com/) that I use for sim racers, like Gran Turismo, on a 52" Bravia.

For more casual racers and anything requiring PlayStation face buttons, like Need for Speed, I mount a Logitech Driving Force GT on the edge of my computer desk and play on a 24" PlayStation 3D Display.

Both wheels beat the pants off a controller, except for games that require a lot of change-of-direction drift, like Split Second and Blur, or pure arcade racers like Burnout Paradise and Ridge Racer. In that case, a DualShock is the way forward.

Different tools for different jobs, but a wheel is far superior for GT.

Doesn't it damage your desk?

Btw, didn't many people have problems with their Playstation Display?

Edited by Rubieno

With a controller, I'd love a G27 though, I'm considering it since it will be compatible with GT7 too.

A controller of course by using a wheel it gets more harder and challenging and frustrating!!  :shakefist:

What are you talking about? Once you are use to a wheel, it's more fun, more precise and easier!

• Like 2

Doesn't it damage your desk?

Btw, didn't many people have problems with their Playstation Display?

Not at all. The Driving Force GT is built for that purpose and uses large plastic screws with rubber padding for a tight grip that causes no damage. It's a good cheap option that I use more often than the the G25 because it's so quick and easy to setup.

I haven't had a problem with my PS Display. I kinda regret not buying a second one when they were dirt cheap, but the 24" Dell screen it replaced still works fine after 10+ years, so I figure there'll be something better to come along by the time the PS Display dies.

Although not many of us have a anti kind of set up, I played GT5 with and without a wheel, and I'd suggest that if you could afford at least the DFGT (which is what I use) it would be a good option. Wheels dont damage the desk when they are tight enough :)

Agreed. It's a great wheel for the price and the native PS buttons are handy for all driving genres.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Not at all. The Driving Force GT is built for that purpose and uses large plastic screws with rubber padding for a tight grip that causes no damage. It's a good cheap option that I use more often than the the G25 because it's so quick and easy to setup.

I haven't had a problem with my PS Display. I kinda regret not buying a second one when they were dirt cheap, but the 24" Dell screen it replaced still works fine after 10+ years, so I figure there'll be something better to come along by the time the PS Display dies.

Hmm... I'd love to buy a PS Display but I can't find it anywhere

Wheel. Currently I'm using my Logitech G27 as my game room isn't finished yet but when it is I'll be sporting an Obutto R3volution cockpit with my Thrustmaster T500RS and TH8RS shifter. 

A wheel can be kind of hard to get used to but once you do it is much faster and more rewarding than a controller. 

Parker

Wheel. Currently I'm using my Logitech G27 as my game room isn't finished yet but when it is I'll be sporting an Obutto R3volution cockpit with my Thrustmaster T500RS and TH8RS shifter. 

A wheel can be kind of hard to get used to but once you do it is much faster and more rewarding than a controller. 

Parker

You've got a Thrustmaster T500RS? Nice :o

Also, do you think these wheels will be compatible with the PS4?

You've got a Thrustmaster T500RS? Nice :o

Also, do you think these wheels will be compatible with the PS4?

Thanks, the T500RS is definitely the best wheel I've used and I personally think it is the best one on the market that is under a few thousand dollars as well as console compatible.

As far as current wheels being compatible, I think so. Logitech have stated that they are working on drivers for the PlayStation 4 and Evolution (the Driveclub people) said that it is up to the developers to add wheel support. 

Parker

• Like 1

Thanks, the T500RS is definitely the best wheel I've used and I personally think it is the best one on the market that is under a few thousand dollars as well as console compatible.

As far as current wheels being compatible, I think so. Logitech have stated that they are working on drivers for the PlayStation 4 and Evolution (the Driveclub people) said that it is up to the developers to add wheel support. 

Parker

If the wheel for DriveClub will be compatible with PS3, I'll buy that one to play GT6 :)

Controller - and i guess im pretty good with it (2 vettel golds missing in GT5)

i considered many times to buy a wheel - but i need a playseat too [table too low - plus a playseat looks awesome] thats why i didnt bought one yet

If you do decide to ever get a wheel I suggest this over a Playseat...

http://obutto.com/index.php/gaming-cockpits/ozone-gaming-cockpit/

The Ozone cost about the same as a Playseat (cheaper than many of the models, actually) and I can tell you from first hand experience that it feels much, much better. If you have the space for a cockpit, because admittidly it does take up more room than a Playseat, this is the best one for the price and I don't think you'll regret it. 

Parker

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

if you think about it a wheel takes more movement with your hands which takes time if you get comfortably making smooth turns with a controller it takes less movement which means a controller would be faster.

Thats why every car in the world has a controller instead of a steering wheel? Think again please ... a wheel makes it easier for precise steering, and the pedals are way better for dosing the brakes/throttle.

Personnaly i use a Logitec GT Driving Force on a wheelstand pro, in combination with a 55inch Samsung and a 7.1 Onkyo amp + Klipsch speakers

• Like 1