WARNING: Possible Save Corruption on PS5

CookeKeyes

I posted this in the Subnautica 1 forums, and after doing some reading on Unknown World’s (the devs) site, it seems this bug is also present in this game too. ? 

I haven’t had it happen to me yet, but I know it’s a possibility. I’ll include the text from my original post below, but the TLDR version is basically: the game sometimes fails to save randomly and when this happens, your save becomes unreadable by the game; it won’t show up on the load menu anymore, despite the fact that the save still exists on your console’s hard drive.

I’d highly recommend subbing to PS Plus if you aren’t already so you can backup your save before each play session. We can’t copy saves to USB anymore, (for PS5 games) so this is the only way to do it now. ?

This bug only appears to affect the PS5 version, and the devs haven’t been able to narrow down what’s causing it yet. It’s in the “early stages of investigation” per their bug tracker site:

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-and-below-zero-post-launch-development-priorities-update/

Original post text: 

I just had my save corrupted 20 hours in.  I was playing the PS5 version, and I have no idea what caused it.

I was exploring a base and opened my PDA to read an entry for something I just scanned, and suddenly I started getting an error saying the game save operation failed; despite the fact that I didn’t ever try to save. A few minutes later, I DID try to save and got this same error. I tried about 10 times and the error persisted. I figured I’d just relaunch the game and revert back to my older save, but upon launching the game and selecting load, my save isn’t listed anymore. I then closed the game again and went to check if the save was still listed on the PS5 system itself, and it was. So my save still exists, but the game refuses to load it or even recognize it’s there. 

And since you can’t copy PS5 saves to USB devices anymore (thanks Sony) I don’t have any backups. They really want you to pay for PS Plus for the privilege of backing up saves now. 

Really disheartened this happened, as I was really enjoying the game. I guess I could cheat my way back using the dev console, but I’m kind of jaded now…

I just wanted to warn other players this might happen. No idea what caused it, like I said, but be wary and I guess subscribe to PS Plus to backup your save if you’re really paranoid. No clue if this can happen on the PS4 version either, but at least you can backup your saves to USB on that version.

*Edit*

Since posting this and restarting the game, I’ve had my save corrupt three more times. I did sub to PS Plus so I could at least back it up before each session, but I’ve still lost hours of progress each time it happens. Honestly, fuck this game. Don’t play it until this shit is fixed.

Edited 21 hours ago by CookeKeyes

Edited by CookeKeyes
  • Like 1