Very loud fan noise

Squarevii87

I started this game yesterday night and from the main menu my ps4 started to sound like jet engine,when i play the game its decreased a little but again is annoying,i think i will use headphones for this one

Does enybody else has the same problem?

1 minute ago, iriihutoR84 said:

That's just how the PS4 is with some games. I don't remember Concrete Genie in particular but it's a frequent issue with many games. Surprised you have played The Last of Us 2 without noticing it, haha.

Of course i did notice while playing last of us 2 but that game is normal to have loud noise coz is 'heavy' game

yeah i agree with you some games of ps4 do that while some others dont which some of them are demanding

I have the second model PS4 and after sending it for a good cleaning and changing the thermal paste the fan noise went down 95% much to my surprise even games like RE remake which was notoriously loud before has been quiet, but the PS4 itself IS loud some more than others and even cleaning sometimes won't get rid of the fan noise completely.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

49 minutes ago, Squarevii87 said:

Of course i did notice while playing last of us 2 but that game is normal to have loud noise coz is 'heavy' game

yeah i agree with you some games of ps4 do that while some others dont which some of them are demanding

Seems to have little to do with how demanding the game is. Some very 'low intensity' indie games make the fans go wild too. Memory Lane and Road Bustle come to mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squarevii87 said:

I started this game yesterday night and from the main menu my ps4 started to sound like jet engine,when i play the game its decreased a little but again is annoying,i think i will use headphones for this one

Does enybody else has the same problem?

Just clean it. If u don't clean it, ur PS4 is going to shut down automatically due to excessive overheating. Make a habit of cleaning ur PS4 once a week.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, zulqarmessi said:

Just clean it. If u don't clean it, ur PS4 is going to shut down automatically due to excessive overheating. Make a habit of cleaning ur PS4 once a week.

Once a week is a little over kill. Even if you have pets and are a heavy smoker once a week is overkill. 

Best you can do is buy a dust cover/filter. That will buy your console a couple of extra years. 

My PS4 started doing that last year and even after a good cleaning and thermal paste replacement it still did the same noise. If after you change the thermal paste (if you even are going to do that) my guess would be that the fan is worn out, it still works, just not at it's fullest capacity.

If you can get behind the noise you can play just fine, it might give you some overheating warnings after extensive sessions and I don't know how good it would be for the overall performance of the system.

The PS4 is just noisy with some games, mine can be consistently fairly quiet playing one game for 5+ hours, and immediately go into jet engine mode within mere minutes of starting others. I've cleaned it as well, and regularly clean around the vents and outside of the console once every week or so. I'm not too concerned considering I've never had it give me warnings or shut down due to overheating, and it's been doing this for several years now.

My partner's PS4 is way louder than mine, for no apparent reason. Both of our PS4s are launch model ones, still kicking after 8 years of use. He opened it up fairly recently and thoroughly cleaned it, didn't help with the noise at all. I think some PS4s are just nosier than others, may just be slight defects or quirks in the production line. Anything mass produced like this is bound to have some units that have some minor variations between them. His PS4 has had other issues as well, such as discs randomly ejecting themselves and some discs not being read initially, neither of which have ever been an issue on my PS4.

It may be worth getting the thermal paste replaced if you're concerned, but I can't guarantee it would help with the noise.