Recommended R&C play order

Really looking forward to playing Rift Apart and am considering working through the previous R&C titles.  My question would be what order of the previous titles would you personally recommend someone new to the franchise play. I can go as far back as PS3 and PS Vita. 

I tend to play entire available famchises, see my God of War collection and my ongoing Mass Effect work. If I like the game enough, I'll add the older/alternate platforms for the stack(I.E. ME on PS3 and GoW1/2 on Vita).

Edited by damcrac5

• Ratchet & Clank (2002) – PlayStation 2
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (2003) – PlayStation 2
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (2004) – PlayStation 2
  • Ratchet: Deadlocked (2005) – PlayStation 2
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (2007) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (2008) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (2009) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (2011) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (2012) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (2013) – PlayStation 3
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016) – PlayStation 4

All from google. Honestly, just play however you want

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 3

I would just advise not to play Q-Force/ Full frontal assault (title depends on region) as its a 3rd person tower defense game and is seperate from the main story. All 4 one is also pretty skipable. And maybe quest for booty although i didnt mind that one. It doesnt have trophies though. Must plays in my opinion are the 1st game, the third one, gladiator/deadlocked (title depends on region again) and a crack in time. These are some of the best.

• Like 1

Ratchet and Clank HD (1, 2 and 3) collection PS3/Vita have different sets.

Tools of Destruction

A Crack In Time

Nexus

Ratchet and Clank 2016

Rift Apart

While there's more in there series, I think these will give you a great overview of the story as theres plenty of spin off's that are cool but aren't necessary 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd play in release order. Just don't skip Tools of Destruction and go straight to Crack in Time (because Tools doesn't have trophies) as Crack in Time is a direct sequel to Tools of Destruction and the plot won't make much sense if you don't play the first one.

I personally never played ToD, and A Crack in Time was my entry to the series. I wasn't confused with the story at all. I've still never played Tools, mainly due to the lack of trophy support.

On 7/20/2021 at 7:29 PM, LeonScottKenedy2 said:

Tools of Destruction

A Crack In Time

Nexus

Ratchet and Clank 2016

Rift Apart

While there's more in there series, I think these will give you a great overview of the story as theres plenty of spin off's that are cool but aren't necessary 

I think this is the likely order I'll play them in.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Just bought the Vita version of the HD collection, and it looks like it was a cross platform purchase, so I can stack em up if I want to replay.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, LeonScottKenedy2 said:

Tools of Destruction

A Crack In Time

Nexus

Ratchet and Clank 2016

Rift Apart

IMO, Quest for Booty is a story important game, and bridges the story between Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time, and it isn't particularly long. I'd play 2016 right after or before the first game though, it's the one game that doesn't make sense in release order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sebulba2000 said:

Play it by the release date. Nothing really complicated here, it's also rare where you need to play the others to understand the new ones. Anyways, enjoy. The PS2 games are superior!

I'm already on it.  I just jumped right in and purchased everything, lol.

2B2xAIR.jpg

2 minutes ago, damcrac5 said:

I'm already on it.  I just jumped right in and purchased everything, lol.

2B2xAIR.jpg

Haha nice! You can also download the 2 spinoff games - Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank from the Vita's store as PSP Classics, but these aren't cannon.

Here's a list anyways, so you won't get lost:

- The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy/Collection (PS3)
- Ratchet Gladiator/Deadlocked HD (PS3)

- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank (PSP/Vita)
- You can play the Java game Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile on an emulator, it's still optional though
- Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank 2016 (PS4)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sebulba2000 said:

Haha nice! You can also download the 2 spinoff games - Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank from the Vita's store as PSP Classics, but these aren't cannon.

Here's a list anyways, so you won't get lost:

- The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy/Collection (PS3)
- Ratchet Gladiator/Deadlocked HD (PS3)

- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank (PSP/Vita)
- You can play the Java game Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile on an emulator, it's still optional though
- Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank 2016 (PS4)

I went ahead and snagged them yesterday too, because, why not. lol.  I'm assuming Q-force is Full Frontal Assault.  I've got that one as well.  Only need Rift Apart, which I'll get after getting through some of these and getting a 120hz tv to play it on.

1 hour ago, damcrac5 said:

I went ahead and snagged them yesterday too, because, why not. lol.  I'm assuming Q-force is Full Frontal Assault.  I've got that one as well.  Only need Rift Apart, which I'll get after getting through some of these and getting a 120hz tv to play it on.

Yep, Full Frontal Assault is American for Q-Force lol. Just like Deadlocked/Gladiator

• Like 1

As someone who recently went through and played all of the games to catch up on the series, here's what I did (everything in original release order):

• Ratchet HD Trilogy Collection, PS3: played all 3 games
  • Ratchet Deadlocked: watched story summary... no physical release and port was really bad
  • Tools of Destruction: played (no trophies but still essential story)
  • Quest for Booty: played (no trophies, imported physical version from UK)
  • A Crack in Time: played
  • All 4 One: played (totally skippable)
  • Full Frontal Assault: played (shorter but much better than All 4 One, wouldn't recommend skipping)
  • Into the Nexus: played
  • 2016 Movie game: played (playing everything before this makes references more enjoyable)

Now I'll be starting Rift Apart! Happy to answer other questions if anyone has them and is looking to do the same!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Im2Fast_4U said:

• Ratchet Deadlocked: watched story summary... no physical release and port was really bad

I haven't heard anything about the ps3 port being bad.  I've heard it's one of the better games in the series. I'm going to knock it out but I'll have to do some more research.