Valve is releasing a handheld PC

Helyx

I reserved a 64GB with every intent to use the microSD card slot to it's fullest.  If I can install Windows on the internal storage, that'll be pretty awesome... but maybe see how well SteamOS and Proton handles things out of the box first.

If everything works pretty well... I'm looking forward to being able to run FFXIV roulettes comfortably in the living room, and maybe being able to play Diablo 4 someday with PC friends while treating this thing like a console, hooked up to my TV, in my recliner, without having HDMI cables strung all over the house and my jet engine PC fans blazing.  Inbetween my other hundreds of backlogged Steam library games of course. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Devs should add a Steam Deck preset to their games. Which version do I want? The 64 GB model's storage is eMMC, and the 256/512 use NVMe which has better throughput. So I'll go for the middle option, a 256. At least 512 GB mSDXC cards are nice and cheap. I'll use them to store games.

I'll have to see how Crysis runs on this. Maybe not maxed, but probably at some reasonably good settings considering it's portable. No way a Vita could've done it, knowing how PS3 has some trouble there. Getting all Falcom Trails & Ys games along with some PC exclusive titles like the Zwei series in one portable is a plus. Ys IX will probably need some compromises to run on this, but I'm sure it'll be better than undocked Switch.

The dock will support HDMI 2.0 (why not 2.1? I'd be willing to pay a bit more for that) and DisplayPort 1.4.

• Like 1

Here are 11 games you can't play on Steam Deck, rated as "Borked" in ProtonDB. Well, without Win10 anyway.

• Apex Legends
  • Black Desert Online
  • DayZ
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Destiny 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Hunt: Showdown
  • Paladins
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Smite

I had no problem getting a reservation in. No need for PSP 3/Vita 2 or Xbox Portable. Sony's recent forays into PC gaming are good for this. If you install the Xbox store app, the latter is already taken care of. SD costs probably 2 times what one of the above would, but you'll make this money back on the lower price of mSDXC cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Here are 11 games you can't play on Steam Deck, rated as "Borked" in ProtonDB. Well, without Win10 anyway.

• Apex Legends
  • Black Desert Online
  • DayZ
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Destiny 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Hunt: Showdown
  • Paladins
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Smite

I had no problem getting a reservation in. No need for PSP 3/Vita 2 or Xbox Portable. Sony's recent forays into PC gaming are good for this. If you install the Xbox store app, the latter is already taken care of. SD costs probably 2 times what one of the above would, but you'll make this money back on the lower price of mSDXC cards.

For what it's worth, from what I was reading, it seems anti-cheat related.  For some of those games anyways.  If not most/all of them since they're all online games (the article just mentioned a few of those).  Optimistically but not unrealistically, all it could take is one update to those anti-cheat engines and/or one update Proton to send all of them to a playable state.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Everyone talking about how this thing will be able to run modern AAA games on the go alongside the already large library of Steam games and Steam sales, meanwhile I'm thinking how you'll be able to emulate older Nintendo games Nintendo didn't bother to add on the Switch.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, it's a portable that will run the entire Trails and Ys series, and some other JRPGs that lack Vita ports.

Wanting a Steam Deck doesn't automatically make you a PCMR-ista. If you trash people who want a Steam Deck, you're every bit as wrong as the PCMR folks... because you're being a CMR-ista. The PCMR vs. CMR war doesn't impress me much. I wish both sides would just knock it off.

I play games on both PC and console, and I take neither side. If Sony made a Vita 2, I'd buy it also. And I'm still in the market for a PS5. I'll just wait until one is more easily obtainable.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 3 months later...

642fro.jpg

Chances are, hardcore PC Master Race gamers wouldn't even touch the Steam Deck, instead of shelling out $599 for the next graphics card or whatever PC part they're looking for. The only positive thing I can see about Steam Deck is that it might get Sony interested in making another handheld console.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dakk55 said:

The only positive thing I can see about Steam Deck is that it might get Sony interested in making another handheld console.

I wouldn't mind seeing them make a PS4 Portable. Just limit the resolution to 1280 x 720 and use the vanilla PS4 spec to keep costs down. This would be fine if they don't bring back those crazy overpriced memory cards... instead, use mSDXC (I'd hate to think what Sony would charge for a 256 GB card!).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For anyone who has one of these or has used one, how would you say they fair/perform?

A guy at work is considering getting one, but has concerns after reading up about framerate and that having to adjust game settings for better performance each time could be an issue. Also pairing/connecting to TV's is that good, bad ok??

He has had a Switch in the past and I think wants to know if it's a better performing unit all round for what you pay for??

I have zero knowledge of these, so figured here may be a good place to start outside of the web to see what info people may have.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Iksde said:

Does anyone know if PC game pass can be used on the deck? 

Yes, you can.

It'll take a bit of tinkering, but it's not too complicated. Here's some instructions if you need a guide, and there's also numerous videos on youtube explaining the process as well you can check out. 

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23537216/steam-deck-xbox-game-pass-cloud-gaming-install-microsoft-edge-desktop-mode