Helyx

Valve is releasing a handheld PC

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I reserved a 64GB with every intent to use the microSD card slot to it's fullest.  If I can install Windows on the internal storage, that'll be pretty awesome... but maybe see how well SteamOS and Proton handles things out of the box first.

If everything works pretty well... I'm looking forward to being able to run FFXIV roulettes comfortably in the living room, and maybe being able to play Diablo 4 someday with PC friends while treating this thing like a console, hooked up to my TV, in my recliner, without having HDMI cables strung all over the house and my jet engine PC fans blazing.  Inbetween my other hundreds of backlogged Steam library games of course. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

Devs should add a Steam Deck preset to their games. Which version do I want? The 64 GB model's storage is eMMC, and the 256/512 use NVMe which has better throughput. So I'll go for the middle option, a 256. At least 512 GB mSDXC cards are nice and cheap. I'll use them to store games.

I'll have to see how Crysis runs on this. Maybe not maxed, but probably at some reasonably good settings considering it's portable. No way a Vita could've done it, knowing how PS3 has some trouble there. Getting all Falcom Trails & Ys games along with some PC exclusive titles like the Zwei series in one portable is a plus. Ys IX will probably need some compromises to run on this, but I'm sure it'll be better than undocked Switch.

The dock will support HDMI 2.0 (why not 2.1? I'd be willing to pay a bit more for that) and DisplayPort 1.4.

Here are 11 games you can't play on Steam Deck, rated as "Borked" in ProtonDB. Well, without Win10 anyway.

• Apex Legends
  • Black Desert Online
  • DayZ
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Destiny 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Hunt: Showdown
  • Paladins
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Smite

I had no problem getting a reservation in. No need for PSP 3/Vita 2 or Xbox Portable. Sony's recent forays into PC gaming are good for this. If you install the Xbox store app, the latter is already taken care of. SD costs probably 2 times what one of the above would, but you'll make this money back on the lower price of mSDXC cards.

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Here are 11 games you can't play on Steam Deck, rated as "Borked" in ProtonDB. Well, without Win10 anyway.

• Apex Legends
  • Black Desert Online
  • DayZ
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Destiny 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Hunt: Showdown
  • Paladins
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Smite

I had no problem getting a reservation in. No need for PSP 3/Vita 2 or Xbox Portable. Sony's recent forays into PC gaming are good for this. If you install the Xbox store app, the latter is already taken care of. SD costs probably 2 times what one of the above would, but you'll make this money back on the lower price of mSDXC cards.

For what it's worth, from what I was reading, it seems anti-cheat related.  For some of those games anyways.  If not most/all of them since they're all online games (the article just mentioned a few of those).  Optimistically but not unrealistically, all it could take is one update to those anti-cheat engines and/or one update Proton to send all of them to a playable state.

Edited by Dreakon13

Everyone talking about how this thing will be able to run modern AAA games on the go alongside the already large library of Steam games and Steam sales, meanwhile I'm thinking how you'll be able to emulate older Nintendo games Nintendo didn't bother to add on the Switch.

Edited by Crzy Minus

Preservation is a nice extra. PPSSPP isn't a bad thing. Jacking up the internal resolution works wonders on more than a few PSP games, especially on a 27" monitor. Some 30 FPS games can even be patched to force 60 FPS. For older systems (8/16/32 bit), Retroarch/Libretro is good.