Memorable licensed music used in Video Games

Glorious Fury

Whats up everybody. 

Was just thinking earlier about the use of well-known musicial artists in video games. Depending on the game in question, the artists either created a song specfically for the game or used a song which was already produced on a album. I must admit personally I prefer orginal in-house soudtracks (I'm a big sucker for Sega/SNK soundtracks) but in some cases I've really enjoyed when a soundtrack has consisted of licensed music. For a period in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era, tons of games were licensing songs (lots of Rap/Nu-Metal ?). It's not quite as common now outside of sports titles, but still a game will commission a band to do a title track now and then. 

Are there any songs/soundtracks which are licensed which you remember strongly? Even if you loved of hated them! I'll give a few of mine which stand out to me in my time playing games. 

B'Z - Into Free ~Dangan~ - Dragon's Dogma

It doesn't really fit the game, but loved this song. They also had another song in Burnout Paradise which was pretty cool. 

The Offspring - All I Want - Crazy Taxi

This is one is super nostalgic for me. Played Crazy Taxi on PS Now last year for the first time in 10+ years. Hearing this instantly took me back!

Hall and Oates - Out of Touch - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Used to cruise around all the time listening to the radio stations. This is the song which stands out the most for me (David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose was a close second). Entire soundtrack is immense.

An honorable mention goes to Exile - Indestructible (The Next Door) - Street Fighter 4 also!

Anyways, let me know any songs which stick out to you (sorry for the long post with many videos ha!)

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Are there any songs/soundtracks which are licensed which you remember strongly

I dunno about strongly, but I liked the Maquette soundtrack, especially since I had to listen to it several times while platting the game 4 times. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4aGZKqqEJMaxDYEwbFwaW2

• Like 1

GTA Vice City - Entire Soundtrack is a masterpiece but if I would choose one song it would be:  Hall & Oates - Out of Touch or Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
GTA Vice City Stories - Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
GTA IV - Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
Fifa 09 - Tom Jones - Feels Like Music (Junkie XL Remix)
Mafia 2 - Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody
Call of Duty Black Ops - The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
Prince of Persia Warrior Within - Godsmack - I Stand Alone
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - Green Day - Holiday
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push
Saints Row IV - Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
Watch Dogs - Smashing Pumpkins - My Love Is Winter
These are just a couple of examples and all those games I mentioned got as well other very good songs but those are that I liked the most I think

• Like 4

I was just playing Brutal Legend which was full of great songs. The first real mission where you’re freeing the army and Rock of Ages is blasting was a pretty great moment. I’m not even a big fan of the song but it suited that moment,

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

GTA series (so many to choose from, Liberty Rock Radio most notably Evil Woman, Edge of Seventeen)

Mafia III (House of the Rising Sun, Born on the Bayou, Somebody to Love, In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida  etc.)

Far Cry 5 (Greta Van Fleet’s Highway Tune and Safari Song, CCR’s Bad Moon Rising)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I was just playing Brutal Legend which was full of great songs. The first real mission where you’re freeing the army and Rock of Ages is blasting was a pretty great moment. I’m not even a big fan of the song but it suited that moment,

Was hoping somebody would say this as nearly put this in my initial post with Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade as the choice of song. Certainly has an amazing soundtrack if you like heavy metal, didn't enjoy the game much though!

• Like 1

Talking the Need For Speed series, Most Wanted 2005 as such a memorable soundtrack that I still remember on how great it really was. If I have to choose one song it has to be this one by far Nine Thou by Style Of Beyond. That one is that people remember the most about this game soundtrack.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Was hoping somebody would say this as nearly put this in my initial post with Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade as the choice of song. Certainly has an amazing soundtrack if you like heavy metal, didn't enjoy the game much though!

I was loving the game just for the soundtrack, then I hit the RTS stuff and uninstalled it lol. Shame I’ll never finish it =/

Another one I loved is Burnout 3 Takedown with a lot of great rock songs in that soundtrack without forgetting Lazy Generation by The F-Ups as such a memorable song that I still listen to in present day. The rest of the OST is just as awesome as this

• Like 3

GTA San Andreas - Radio X and K-DST
GTA Vice CIty - V-Rock
Burnout Paradise Remastered
WWE 2K14 and 2K15
Far Cry 5
Mafia 3
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - Sagittarius FM
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and 4

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, uStruckdHerkulez said:

I never skipped that intro

Speaking of cool intros, I never skipped the intro of NHL ‘98, much to the chagrin of a few of my friends.

It still gives me goosebumps.  NHL intros are so boring nowadays.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

I played the Xbox 360 port of ‘Beyond Good & Evil’ years ago and that “Propaganda” song is so catchy and memorable to me. It’s the most memorable song I’ve ever listened to in a video game. I remember it to this day and even hum & sing/rap it sometimes. LOL!??

• Like 1