Help - PS Vita activation Problem

StoneTemplePilot

Hi guys,

i have a problem with my Vita (it happened a few weeks ago out of nowhere...)

Everytime i boot the Vita and try to start a game, i get the notification that i need to activate the system.

This happens for all my Games (Bought from Store and PS Plus Games - i never lapsed my PS Plus Subscription).

If i activate the system (for Games), everythings fine and i can start and play all games.

Problem is, i need an internet connection to activate the system. What do i do, if i take my Vita somewhere without access to the internet?

I did rebuild the data base (was hoping it would restore the licenses), but i did not help.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

My device seems to have de-activated itself last night out of nowhere. Closed Final Fantasy X, opened Quell Memento, and it told me to Activate. Went into my PS Vita settings and re-activated it. Can play games fine now. But, kinda odd, haven't had that happen since I bought the thing. :dunno:

• Like 1

Weirdly this also happened to me last week, but just once, and only on one Vita (I have two) in 5-6 years of usage.

I think since Sony made adjustments so the Vita could no longer receive messages / disabled a lot of shit.

And now there are some expired certificates / checks that are invalid and needs a reactivation of the Vita to fix them. (This is just a guess of course)

• Like 4

Just had this happen to me. The weirdest thing? I noticed my theme was gone and was the plain default one again after booting the Vita up. The only thing I did previously was change the cart (while the power was off). Was confused as heck but all my games were still there at least. Tried rebooting it, but still no theme. Went into my settings and went to themes, they all just showed a broken grey image. Tried setting one and it told me I need to activate the system. Decided to de-activate it first for good measure, then when I went to activate it, it told me it couldn't currently be activated and gave me error C0-9422-7. Which, from what I can find, apparently means:

"Activation error
System activation for this account is temporarily suspended. Please note: Users cannot activate any PSP, PS3 or PS Vita system using the same account more than 15 times in 24 hours.
Please try again in 1 week after the system lock has been lifted."

That certainly had me worried, but after waiting a few minutes and trying again, it activated fine this time. Themes were back to normal and I could set my theme back to the Rose in The Twilight one I was using previously. Booted up a digital game to make sure that was all good, it was. Rebooted it again for good measure, theme was still there, digital games still boot fine. So hopefully that's the last of it, certainly gave me a bit of a fright. Can't believe system activation even affects themes of all things.

This has never been an issue before, and seeing as others have had this issue recently, it likely is something on Sony's side. Really wish all these issues with PS3 and Vita would cease already.

Edit: Decided to check my account on the website just to make sure. My Vita is indeed there on the activation list, but no longer has a name (my other consoles do). It's just blank with an image of a Vita, and tells me the "type" is Playstation Vita when I click on it.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I noticed my theme was gone and was the plain default one again after booting the Vita up.

gave me error C0-9422-7. Which, from what I can find, apparently means:

Edit: Decided to check my account on the website just to make sure. My Vita is indeed there on the activation list, but no longer has a name (my other consoles do). It's just blank with an image of a Vita, and tells me the "type" is Playstation Vita when I click on it.

The themes require activation to be used as well, so if it loses activation it will revert to default since you don't have access to the theme until you reactivate.

My experience was the same with the C0-9422-7, just waited a few minutes and tried again, worked fine.

The website will wipe the name since you deactivated it first. As far as PSN can see your old vita with a name is gone and a new vita was added.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrHealthy said:

The themes require activation to be used as well, so if it loses activation it will revert to default since you don't have access to the theme until you reactivate.

My experience was the same with the C0-9422-7, just waited a few minutes and tried again, worked fine.

The website will wipe the name since you deactivated it first. As far as PSN can see your old vita with a name is gone and a new vita was added.

I was completely baffled as to what was happening at first, was worried my Vita or memory card were finally crapping out on me, until it told me the system needed to be activated, and I found this thread when doing some Googling. Not surprised themes are tied to activation as well, but it's kind of insane to think of just how many things are tied to it, not just digital games.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who got that error code. I assume it's probably related to whatever this issue in general happens to be.

The only time I've deactivated my consoles before was back in 2016 I think, when I had to deactivate all of them via the website as my first PS3 super slim completely died and couldn't be deactivated from the console. After I reactivated everything, I'm pretty sure they all still had their "names". Doesn't really matter too much anyway, just thought it was odd.

Thanks for the info. Hope this issue doesn't happen again, it seems some people are having it happen every few days from what I've found. Gonna be super annoying if it's gonna be a regular thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StarWolf3000 said:

I've been experiencing this issue too lately. So, I should deactivate it (even if it is deactivated) and activate it again using the regular procedure and it will never ask me again?

It might still ask you again. It asked me again one time about a week later after I did the deactivation and reactivation. I simply repeated the process and it hasn't asked me since. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

Since I have my downloaded games on different memory cards I switch those cards frequently. Maybe this has something to do with this since in the past I only had this issue when my PS+ was renewed.

That should not make a difference as I do it all the time. Only issue is the trophies are stored internally on the Vita, which means when you swap the card around, if you didn't install the game on that Vita, the trophy icons just become the PSN default gold, silver and bronze images.

I booted my Vita up today to revisit Sly 3 and earn my remaining trophies and I'm getting the same issue. I go into the settings and reactivate, that then allows me to play but if I turn the system off I have to repeat the fix again. I saw on Reddit that turning airplane mode solves the issue. I tried it myself and it does seem to work even when I turn the system off and on again.

I have no idea what is causing the issue but it seems clear its a Sony issue and they've done something recently that is causing problems. Hopefully they fix it soon, keeping airplane mode or having to re-activate every time is frustrating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxillarySloth53 said:

I booted my Vita up today to revisit Sly 3 and earn my remaining trophies and I'm getting the same issue. I go into the settings and reactivate, that then allows me to play but if I turn the system off I have to repeat the fix again. I saw on Reddit that turning airplane mode solves the issue. I tried it myself and it does seem to work even when I turn the system off and on again.

I have no idea what is causing the issue but it seems clear its a Sony issue and they've done something recently that is causing problems. Hopefully they fix it soon, keeping airplane mode or having to re-activate every time is frustrating.

Have you tried deactivating first, then activating it? Seems to have helped for some. That's what I did, and I can't really vouch for its success much yet as this only happened to me less than a week ago, but it's yet to happen again since anyway (and I've power cycled the Vita maybe 3-4 times since then).

Try this little "trick":

If you have the feeling or evidence it is not activated, open the Friends bubble and wait for your friend list to load. If it shows "Connecting to Playstation Network" (or something like this, since I'm using German) before it shows your friend list, it might have activated itself or successfully performed an activation check.

Afterwards, open up a PSN game or app and see, if it boots.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is both frustrating and worrisome.  I recently loaded up on Vita games because I'm going to be traveling in the future with no internet for up to months on end.  Guess my answer is to airplane mode it the entire time and hope it keeps working?  Has anyone had luck with this long term with the airplane mode workaround?  I know this has only been an issue for about a month...

Happened to me too. I started Code Realize (PS+) while I was still home. But then I went on vacation and connected to the WiFi at the place and upon trying to start up the game it told me to activate the vita. I didn’t have to deactivate, just activate. I haven’t had problems since. I wonder if I’ll have to do it again once I get home and connect to my home network.

15 hours ago, DizzyDavidson said:

Happened to me too. I started Code Realize (PS+) while I was still home. But then I went on vacation and connected to the WiFi at the place and upon trying to start up the game it told me to activate the vita. I didn’t have to deactivate, just activate. I haven’t had problems since. I wonder if I’ll have to do it again once I get home and connect to my home network.

I've had to active my vita under games 4 times so far.  Looks like the airplane mode is working for me.  Bit frustrating to have to take it out of airplane mode to sync trophies, but at least it doesn't seem like I'll lose the ability to play games when I go long streaks without internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like this either, you should be able to play your Vita without internet. It wasn't a problem before so I feel Sony changed something. But imagine if you had to do this for your old systems like NES and you can't access whatever it is they want, you can't use it then?