The-Smiths-85

Thoughts about the game.

4 posts in this topic

I've bought Mekorama due to the discount and was expecting an indie, cute looking puzzle game. The ideas range from being ordinary when it comes the genre to some really clever ones, but what makes this game waaay below average is the engine. The concepts are finely thought out for the most part. However, the mechanics and physics aren't implemented in a proper way.

There's nothing more frustrating in puzzle games than almost completing a demanding level, but failing at the end just because something doesn't work properly. Wheels that you turn tend to go crazy sometimes, no matter how slowly you try to control them. This can result in your robot falling off the platform you're standing at. Your hero can also fall into structures or off the platforms without any logical explanation. It's better to move him slowly, because he doesn't seem to "listen" to your commands every time. Red robots that you have to guide can get stuck in their ways too without a reason. Sometimes they fall off to the water/out of the area, other times they just seem to have a mind of their own and don't follow the path you've ordered them to go. It's a small mess =) Ball physics aren't too good either as they can go completely the other way you've intended them to. On top of that the dot you control and give tasks can simply vanish off the screen. Sometimes you have to wait for it to come back which only adds to the frustration :)

Most of the game has been made by a single guy (from Sweden I believe) which is an impressive accomplishment...but he should have focused on fixing those issues rather than creating big number of levels and the level creator. Quality over quantity. I've heard the Vita version is even worse because of the massive slowdown. When it comes to difficulty it's not a hard game. Deep inside it's a nice little title but with all those faults it becomes more of a chore than a pleasing experience. Don't know if there is a sequel but with a bigger studio and project this might become a good puzzle series.

The Vita versions are borderline unplayable due to the painful slowdown and unresponsive controls so stick with the superior PS4 releases :(.

I really enjoyed this game, it was clunky at times but not enough to be a deal-breaker. 

On 20/07/2021 at 5:16 PM, DiegoMolinams said:

I really enjoyed this game, it was clunky at times but not enough to be a deal-breaker. 

What's cool is that it's fairly cheap and you get a lot of content. 100 levels plus a level editor, though I haven't tried to create anything (apart from the trophy based task). Once you get used to the somehow faulty mechanics tricky and hard levels aren't difficult some of them are really well made :) In my opinion it would have been a great title if it wasn't for the engine. The more I get used to it, the more I enjoy it surprisingly.