LEGO Games - Recommendations?

kkulifay

Just go with the IPs you like.

Just a heads up, the older ones do not have voices. They just make noise. Cutscenes are still funny though.

Also, the older ones are a bit more buggy and less refined. GF and I are going by release date, oldest to newest, because of this.

• Like 1

As stated above, they’re much the same as each other. The only one I particularly didn’t like was the Lego Movie Video game. I never played the second one, lol.

I seem to remember the earlier ones had harder races in them. The flying races seemed very tricky to control, but maybe that’s because I’m too old, lol.

• Like 1

The only LEGO I’ve played so far is the one they gave out for free awhile back… Lego Ninjago. I have no idea what on earth Ninjago is but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a pretty fun little game. The LEGO humour gets me and the gameplay was pretty fun too. Would recommend it.

• Like 3

These are my picks:

PS3:

LEGO Batman: The Video Game (no trophies)

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4

LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7

LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (no trophies)

LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues 

LEGO Jurassic World

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (no trophies)

LEGO The Lord of the Rings

PS4:

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

LEGO City Undercover

LEGO DC Super-Villains

LEGO Harry Potter Collection

LEGO Jurassic World

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 2

I would highly recommend Lego City Undercover.  It’s basically a sanitized, kid-friendly version of GTA. It’s open world, and there are tons of things to do.  My son loved just driving around and smashing things (you need to do that to collect bricks to purchase special builds). Your character is a police officer, so you can “commandeer” and vehicle, not steal like in GTA. 
It’s a long road to platinum with all the collectibles, so hopefully you have some patience on hunting them down. I just let my son drive around and I would go on a collectible hunt until he was ready to start another mission. 

• Like 2

Jurassic World gets my vote, although that's partly because I'm a huge fan of the IP. But it's a solid game in its own right, and does pretty much everything a Lego game should. Ninjago Movie: The Videogame is also surprisingly decent, and as far as I remember it does a good job of telling the movie's story - which is still not very interesting for adults, but kids will probably appreciate it.

I'd also recommend you stay away from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I played through this with a friend via local co-op, and the amount of game-breaking bugs we encountered was an absolute joke. Some crashes too, which happened consistently. Plus the second player doesn't unlock certain trophies, if that makes a difference to you. Probably the worst local co-op experience I've had on PS4.

• Like 2

I own all of them, except the exclusive PS4 one's.  I bought them under the same idea that you did, which was my now 8 year old son and I would be able to enjoy them together.  I'm not for sure if he got interested in other games, or if it just wasn't his style.  He likes Lego's, yet he is not too particular to playing the games.  We will go months without him wanting to turn one on.  He has gotten into Minecraft and enjoys some Racing games and Little Big Planet.

So since he didn't want to play them that much, I was like, I will just complete them when he is at his mothers in the summer.  

I think Lego Juraissic World is the best one, I think the levels were good, the challenges were alright, there was a ton of items to unlock, at the same time it had a really good graphical look in comparison to some older grainer lego games, that weren't as refined.

Lego Batman 2, my son and I will both agree was our favorite in cooperative play, it was just perfect.  Lego Batman 3 gets a little weird.

Ultimately I think there are 2 things to consider while playing these games, granted easy plats, no one is going to deny that, however from the first games like the original Lego Batman which I have and beat as well, which has no trophies to the newest of games; there has been a steep increase in level length.  Ultimately I cannot warn you enough to get a variety of games at your disposal because the one thing I've found while enjoying these games as fun, funny, cute, interesting etc....is that as a player they are also really tedious.  I mean I think I'm going to plat Lego Marvel Superheroes next because the last level my son and I did took like 90 minutes to complete...it was so long!!  Which is indifference to maybe the 20 or 30 minutes a level you might spend in Lego Pirates of the Carribean or Lego Harry Potter.

So some things to consider, recommendations:

PS3:

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4

LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7

LEGO Jurassic World

LEGO Pirates of the Carribean

PS4:

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham - if you really love Batman

P.S. Unlike others I have never had the glitch problems that many people have said about Lego games.  I also never use the in game cheat section with cheat codes though.  The only type of glitch I've ever ran across or close to would be either a character getting stuck behind something, which if that happens and you can't get out, if 2P, have the person trapped Drop Out, if 1 player switch to the other character and leave that trapped character behind.  Only once in 8 games or so I've played of these did a character get trapped and I had to restart the stage because the computer controlling them wouldn't get them out and I needed them as a part of a 2 player puzzle to continue with the level.

Otherwise their is the occasional game freeze, this has happened with other games though so I can't say its a Lego issue and instead a my system issue, just save often and you will be fine.

Lego Batman 2 will likely forever be my favourite, played it originally on the Wii, next year I am planning likely to replay and play more lego games again, certainly one I am excited to hunt the platinum for. Also actually really enjoyed the first Batman game, but sadly that was before trophies, so no plat would be unlocked with playing it. I also liked the Indiana Jones games, but can be buggy at times.

• Like 1

I played most ofvthe lego games. I thought the Jurrassic Park one was the best one. It also parrallels the movie very well. The hobbit one was pretty good also. Stay away from lego batman 3 imo. It has too many suits for each character u have to switch in and out of whuch makes the game feel like work and not fun.

Note: if u do decide to play lego batman 3 (and possibly others)? DO NOT put any character cheat codes in to play a character early. It will void your ability to get the platinum.

Edited by IvoryRose88
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, themindisacity said:

@kkulifay just a heads up that a bunch of the LEGO games are in the North American sale right now. This includes both Harry Potter games for $5, and all three Marvel games plus their DLC for about $13. Excellent prices on both! 

Thanks for looking out! I kind of went on a spending spree just now lol. Guess I have his Christmas shopping done already. Can’t wait to play em, and selfishly, attain more platinums in the process!

Thanks all! Good info above. Got more responses that I imagined. 

• Like 2

I have like 14 LEGO plats with a few more in the backlog left to play...and can safely say, they're all pretty much the same. It's the same routine with a different coat of paint.

But my bar none favorite was LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 1. It was my first LEGO plat, but also the only one I played twice...as I got the Plat on PS3 and PS4. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 is much longer and bigger, but wasn't nearly as good (I wrote the guide for that on PST). I'd say Ninjago was a nice change of pace...they actually tried to do something different with the gameplay, which was nice to see when I was like 10+ games deep by then. 

And even with the slight burnout I feel on these games, I am looking forward to LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga...hard not to be. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1