Playstation becoming more and more like steam

PIECREAM-4-U

1 hour ago, Sydoki said:

Stop buying this kind of games - developers will stop making them. What is Sony gonna do about it? As far as they are concerned, it's a small project from a small indie developer. You can't not allow someone to publish their game because "the trophy list looks too easy".

But we all know why these games exist...and it's disgusting. So again, stop buying this kind of games.

News flash: These will keep selling regardless what you say. There's always gonna be people that don't care and will keep buying.

Same with sports games and stuff filled with microtransactions. These people don't even have to make their games good because they know the whales will eat them up regardless.

Why take the time to make a really good game when you can boot up Microsoft Word and make something cheap and quick then sell it 10 times over?

What's really sad is you see a game like Chicory, one of the best games i played this year, only a few hundred owners, then pretty much every breakthrough game amd stack has 1,000+ owners 

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 4

As long as that means we also get the great sales... I don't care.

There will always be shitty games with shitty trophy lists, but there's also bound to be great games with great trophy lists. If other people want to spend their time and money on easy plats just for its own sake... well, that shouldn't impact you in the slightest, now should it?

Just pick and buy whatever you'll have fun with and let other people do whatever they want.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

What's really sad is you see a game like Chicory, one of the best games i played this year, only a few hundred owners, then pretty much every breakthrough game amd stack has 1,000+ owners 

Seeing things like this really makes me annoyed. I have found a lot of really great indie games with fewer than 100 total owners, and the devs took the time to make a fantastic game with hours of entertainment, only to have nobody buy it because people would rather spend their money on a 10 minute EZPZ plat instead. :( 

The only thing that will make these types of games go away is to stop buying them. Unfortunately that's near impossible as there's always going to be someone that keeps buying them to boost their numbers, but hopefully one day people will start to realize that they are addicted and may try to convince themselves to stop!

I stopped buying these types of games years ago and it was the best decision I ever made!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

This is one of the most intelligent answers I've seen around here for a long time. The solution is so simple but it's as if people want to ignore it just so they can continue to complain about the situation. You simply stop buying these types of games if you don't like them. Hurt the developer with your wallet. If everyone else buys them, let them. It's not affecting you at all. Ignore and move on. 

Everyone yells "quality control" in these topics but as you've said, what's Sony going to do? Who gets to decide what a quality game is and isn't. What would the criteria be? What if one day Sony decided a AAA game wasn't allowed on the platform because it failed one of the rules. How long do people think it would take before things went to shit? I don't think it's as simple as Sony just wanting money, it's just as much a matter of practicality. These are games made by indie devs and Sony has no reason to see it any other way. Unless a game is using stolen assets or something then it shouldn't be allowed on the platform, but for everything else it's up to people to employ a little common sense and vote with their wallets. 

I respect people's choice to play these games or any for that matter, but what your saying is incorrect.

I've never bought one of these games, and most people that complain don't either. However, they continue to get more popular. Were at a point where the newest 5-minute plat is ending up in the top 10 most played on this site. Heck right now, Happy Truck is taking two of those spots at a 99% platinum rate.

And it clearly does affect people. These games have destroyed the leaderboards, which impacts everyone regardless of if you buy or don't, so yes, it does affect everyone. It's why such a large amount of people are asking for a rarity leader board that excludes common trophies.

In regard to affecting quality standards, none of the complaints that people have been with the game quality of these titles. Most are pretty bad, but that's fine if they work. The standards people want are for the trophy list. There is clearly something wrong when you can earn a platinum in under 2 min.

This is the most likely reason we can no longer earn reward points from Sony for trophies. They'd go broke.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

Seeing things like this really makes me annoyed. I have found a lot of really great indie games with fewer than 100 total owners, and the devs took the time to make a fantastic game with hours of entertainment, only to have nobody buy it because people would rather spend their money on a 10 minute EZPZ plat instead. :( 

The only thing that will make these types of games go away is to stop buying them. Unfortunately that's near impossible as there's always going to be someone that keeps buying them to boost their numbers, but hopefully one day people will start to realize that they are addicted and may try to convince themselves to stop!

I stopped buying these types of games years ago and it was the best decision I ever made!

My exact thoughts. I too bought them in past but now I’m exclusively in the camp of buying games I could have fun with. Deleted 95% of my not started EZ plat games. (There’s still a few fun looking ones like Devious Dungeon 2 that were kept).. Time is valuable and I want it to go towards something I enjoy. I feel bad for devs that pour their heart and soul in an indie game only for it to be overshadowed by all the junk in the store :(

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Thanks for the heads-up on Chicory. Added it to my wishlists on both PS and Steam.

If it's any consolation, the game is at 98% positive on Steam with 481 reviews. That number of reviews is stellar for an indie released just 6 weeks ago. Over the years, I've seen so many great games on Steam get only a dozen or so reviews, then just fade away. Of course it doesn't hurt that Chicory is from the creators of Celeste. BTW, it's probably not the most accurate data, but SteamSpy is showing that the game has upwards of 20,000 owners.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

how many people who dont care about trophies are buying easy platinum games?

40 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

I doubt many people will be drawn into the community due to "ten minute platinums". If you actually care about the hobby, you wouldn't need practically instant progress in order to be interested. The games that you'd normally play would be enough. Also, the vast majority of posts I've seen over the years were people strategizing, seeking help, venting frustrations... all concepts that are eliminated by these "ten minute platinums".

A handful is better than none.

If a kid plays an easy game, enjoys the feeling of finishing something and then moves onto something else I see it as a win/win.

My single digit niece started off with Rat games because of the silliness, moved onto Harvest Moon and is now enjoying Kingdom Hearts. I've seen it firsthand, how these games get people into the collecting hobby.

I don't care about the value of plats, I care about building a community. Especially as I'm part of the older generation and won't be around forever. The community needs new blood or the number of trophy hunters will just decrease. Fewer hunters, less accurate stats and we all lose.

Edited by VigilantCrow

Does it need to have this kind of discussion in every <insert name for cheap games with easy trophy lists/stacks> game which gets released?

It turns into the usual arguing from people demanding a rarity leaderboard to who's to blame.

In this case its kind of undeserved because Freddy Spaghetti earned its sequel with sales numbers and is a far stretch in quality compared to The Voices games IMHO. While the sequel is kind of lackluster and feels more like something that should have been a DLC, the original game offered an hour of fun with the player fighting the controls without being unfair. Nethertheless it gets thrown in the same bucket as shovelware titles. And yes, I platinum'd it seven times (JP store still misses the PS5 version) and it still was fun to play.

I am pretty sure if these games had either only 1 stack, a higher price, or a trophy list without a platinum, people would still damn these games and call it the end of trophy hunting. 

Replacing one leaderboard with another when you could have both shows the elbow mentality which leads to more arguing.

Edited by Thrillhelm

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Silver lining is that I think it'll eventually force Sly to create a new rarity leaderboard and have it overtake the main one so we actually have something interesting to look at.

I think something like this would reinvigorate the trophy hunting community and push people away from games like this.

That would be awesome

• Like 1