What PS4 games could become more expensive in the future?

Varhur

With time, prices for certain games stay mostly the same, but in other cases, their prices go up, they become more rare and getting yourself a physical copy will cost you a lot more, compared to your usual digital price. It's not an instant process however and the regular price of the game doesn't quadruple overnight, so I'm making the thread with a question - which PS4 games you suspect might be expensive in the future but are still priced average? Note that I'm talking about physical games only.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get into PS4 games for investment because most of them are widely available, most people play once and discard, the digital library is in a better shape than the PS3, and the PS5 is backwards compatible.

Blue Reflection is the only game that comes to mind that got very expensive for some reason. Collector's editions as well.

• Like 3

Anything that's bad so doesn't sell well. And indie games plus daft little games hardly anyone will buy. I think PS4 has a lot of potential games that could become sort after as a lot have been released, and i bet a lot can currently be bought very cheap. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 2

I'd say Atelier Sophie, Firis and Lydie & Suelle - when the 'remastered' version launched a few weeks back, the original versions were pulled - so the only way you can play the originals now is via the physical editions.

I think the Deponia collection and individual games may be too as a few have vanished off PSN

Games that have been delisted, or will be delisted.

Koei Tecmo games. A few have already become super expensive, such as the Attack on Titan games.

Some NISA and Marvelous games.

Some Bandai Namco games, especially the ones they just randomly delist without any warning (e.g. Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Tales of Xillia 2 in Europe for whatever reason). Most Bamco games are pretty dirt cheap though.

Games that only got physical editions in certain regions, such as the Mega Man Legacy Collections only getting physicals in the US, a few Square Enix games like Romancing SaGa 3 and Legend of Mana only getting (English) Asian/Japanese physicals, Deponia Collection only getting a physical in Europe/Germany, etc.

Obviously limited print physicals, like Limited Run Games or Special Reserve.

Basically, anything where there was a fairly limited number of copies produced, and never re-printed, and games where the only way to purchase them any more is via physical copies. I tend to always buy fairly niche Japanese and indie games at launch on any system (especially Switch though) because it's not unusual for them to skyrocket in price very, very quickly. There's no point waiting for sales or drops in prices for games like that if you plan to buy them physically, because they often will never drop in price (or not by much), or will just increase in value.

I wouldn't worry about super popular Japanese or indie games though, like Yakuza, SMT/Persona, Final Fantasy, Hollow Knight, Binding of Isaac, etc. Unless you're looking to get them on the Switch or something, but there's a whole other can of worms, and the reason a lot of Switch games get rare/expensive, even the popular first party ones, is because they're more expensive to produce than discs. This has almost always been the issue with cartridges.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 3

I suppose anything printed by Limited Run and Strictly Limited Games, but most of those are available digitally also. 

I also already seen prices for Berserk and the Band of the Hawk up well over $100. I also never saw it on sale on the PS Store.

Same goes for physical copies of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (PS4).

2 hours ago, fbdbh said:

I wouldn't get into PS4 games for investment because most of them are widely available, most people play once and discard, the digital library is in a better shape than the PS3, and the PS5 is backwards compatible.

Blue Reflection is the only game that comes to mind that got very expensive for some reason. Collector's editions as well.

Cool, Blue Reflection is one of the few physical games I have left as I’ve never really gotten around to it but always planned to

Games that have a physical release only and a short run, games that lose their digital license, literally all games kept in perfect condition in their seal and cased will probably be worth more than $60 in 50 years time, but not worth the space and time to store them. Collectors stuff kept in perfect sealed condition.

If you keep anything boxed and in perfect condition will be worth more the older it gets. If you kept a perfect Mario 64 in mint on release one just sold for $800million.
BUT it's not really worth the investment unless you have a tonne of money to begin with buying everything and keeping it perfect condition and aren't bothered if in 50 years time it's still not worth anything.

Games are for playing, better off investing in NFT's if you want some easy money.

Games that are discontinued. Way back in the day I had an Xbox 360 and a physical copy of Too Human. The price of it shot up after the game was....recalled or discontinued or whatever the issue was. Not enough to care about selling it, but any game where the sale of future copies is discontinued due to a copyright issue means there will be no digital versions being sold anymore and no future physical copies made.

Looking at the thread, from those games, physically I have only Gravity Rush, lol. I'm not really looking to get any Limited Run Games or anything similar to that, just stuff that exists alongside the games, instead of being an add-on and more of a collector's thing (if that makes sense).

While I appreciate tips like "stuff that's discontinued" or "stuff that didn't sold good", I was kinda hoping for more names, when I'm randomly browsing thru the online shops and see some cheap game, I might not know at the moment that the price of the game is rising and brush it off, to see later that it's quadrupled in cost.

Also, could someone recommend some games that are still relatively cheap (10-15 dollars) but could rise/are already rising in price? Some situations like The Saboteur on PS3, where you can still grab a copy for 5 dollars, but it's rising and soon you might need to pay 50. While I know that games like Ateliers, 13 Sentinels, etc, are still rising in price, they are still pretty expensive as of now (found 2 physical copies of 13 Sentinels, both for 60 dollars) and I'm not really used to spending this much money at once ?

• 2 weeks later...