What PS4 games could become more expensive in the future?

Varhur

7 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

The James Bond 007 games on PS3 (Quantum of Solace, BloodStone, Goldeneye, and Legends) aren't terribly expensive at the moment. Activision may no longer hold the licence, but I'm sure they pressed a good number of copies.

Check the title of the thread. 

For PS4, most notably the Falcom games (Ys and Trails Series).  I already saw Ys 8 used CIB sold recently for more than 100 USD minimum.  Imagine how much sealed and collector's edition are worth now.  I'm glad I bought the collector's edition before the prices went bonkers.

Edited by acidkai_ak

On 27.7.2021 at 3:17 PM, the_real_culture said:

I suppose anything printed by Limited Run and Strictly Limited Games, but most of those are available digitally also. 

I also already seen prices for Berserk and the Band of the Hawk up well over $100. I also never saw it on sale on the PS Store.

Same goes for physical copies of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (PS4).

I bought berserk last year for 7 euro used and sold it after i plated it for 20 euro, wish i kept it rip. Here in germany it cost now between 75 and 100 euro as well, big f.

Edited by Sagaan

I put this caveat down every time I see such a thread,  it it bears repeating: just because you see someone selling a game for a certain price doesn’t mean there’s a corresponding customer buying it for that price. I feel like the collectible game market is a really bad version of a really bad investment in general. 

But anyway, in answer to the TC, I think people tend to lose their shit over physical Japanese games after a time (as an American, I’m speaking of the NA release of a Japanese).

I have no idea why: there is almost this period where such a game dips in price heavily, but then later, it skyrockets when the market turns to private sellers. I really don’t think that many people buy these games late; I just think sellers want to believe they have something of value, so they sell way too high. If they happen to catch a fish, so much the better.

Funniest tale I have: I bought the .hack limited edition of the anime. I spent like $60, watched the anime, and packed it up. A few months later, I saw someone on Amazon selling it for a whopping $1500. Ridiculous, so I put mine up for $500.

Amazingly, someone bought it. So I guess you never know (I don’t know if the $1500 guy sold his).

• Like 2

Licensed games may be a good bet as on ps3 some of them are going for ridiculous prices like saw 1+2, the harry potter titles, even the family guy game is hovering between the 30-60$ mark. I also second koei tecmo titles because most of them barely go on sale and when they do its rarely below the 25-30$ mark as at least nis or idea factory regularly put thier games on sale after a while. Koei is almost as bad as nintendo for price gouging.

If you go buy all the copies of one game and burn them, but leave just 1... It'll be a super rare. I'd tell you which game to buy but that'll just hurt myself in the future if I don't have a copy!

Not going to hurt the future me..

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I have no idea why: there is almost this period where such a game dips in price heavily, but then later, it skyrockets when the market turns to private sellers. I really don’t think that many people buy these games late; I just think sellers want to believe they have something of value, so they sell way too high. If they happen to catch a fish, so much the better.

It happens when they think there's renewed demand for an oldish game, often when an eceleb/Youtuber of some note brings it back into the public consciousness. I just checked Alice: Madness Returns because it's had a spike in interest recently due to a Youtuber or two covering it (Gman in particular) and what do you know it's minimum $40 now on ebay on PS3 or 360. It even aligns with Gman's review itself which said to get the console version over the PC one as the PC version hasn't changed in price. Keep in mind that this is a game that's easily available everywhere digitally. You can even play it on EA+ or whatever it's called. 

• Like 1

One of the easiest examples are physical games that were delisted from the PlayStation Store like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan. I think those titles are just going to keep climbing.

Limited run games will also get really valuable. Collector's editions of certain titles may also get really pricey.

4 minutes ago, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

13 sentinels , i got it physical finally but yeah in some moment it's going to be more expensive i guess 200 dollars in 2 years

It's currently under 60 bucks now.

Unless a youtuber makes it popular or it gets an anime series. It's probably going to be a good long while before it gets to prices in the hundreds.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, Deadvember said:

If you keep anything boxed and in perfect condition will be worth more the older it gets. If you kept a perfect Mario 64 in mint on release one just sold for $800million.

800 million Iranian Rial, maybe ?

Jokes aside, I agree: games are a terrible investment, but this thread is useful to avoid missing out on games. I'm sad I missed out on Blue Reflection at a reasonable price with the second one on it's way. I really hope they do a reprint!

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 3:27 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I put this caveat down every time I see such a thread,  it it bears repeating: just because you see someone selling a game for a certain price doesn’t mean there’s a corresponding customer buying it for that price. I feel like the collectible game market is a really bad version of a really bad investment in general. 

But anyway, in answer to the TC, I think people tend to lose their shit over physical Japanese games after a time (as an American, I’m speaking of the NA release of a Japanese).

Funniest tale I have: I bought the .hack limited edition of the anime. I spent like $60, watched the anime, and packed it up. A few months later, I saw someone on Amazon selling it for a whopping $1500. Ridiculous, so I put mine up for $500.

Amazingly, someone bought it. So I guess you never know (I don’t know if the $1500 guy sold his).

I think, as @LunchCannon54 mentioned, YouTubers or other notable people suddenly talking about a game can cause it to skyrocket in price. That, and a new game in the series coming out, as understandably, many people will be interested in previous entries either before playing the new game, or just because they enjoyed it enough to check out earlier titles.

Sometimes games will get reprinted, which can tank the value of 'em (or just encourage scalpers). Atlus recently randomly reprinted a bunch of 3DS Megami Tensei games for unknown reasons (I assume maybe because SMTV is coming out soon?), and of course, it only took a few hours for people to snap up several copies and sell them for £100+ on eBay. Although Atlus games used to be kind of notorious for getting low print runs, I highly doubt any of the 3DS games are rare enough to be worth those prices. I remember something similar happened when they reprinted some PS2 MegaTen games, people snapped them up and sold them at stupid prices, no one bought them, and nowadays you can still get brand new copies of Digital Devil Saga on PS2 for like £20 on Amazon. A game's value really does depend on how much people are willing to pay for it, not what people are selling it for.

I honestly don't know the value of a lot of my games, but I discover every now and then that I apparently have a game worth £100-200 or whatever during that given period of time. And all I can really think is "oh, thank God I got it when it was a reasonable price". I never resell my games, even games I've kept sealed for several years, so their resell value means very little to me. I just hate how some games get stupid expensive rather quickly, so it sometimes feels like you need buy something around launch or risk paying double or triple that a few months or years down the line. It's especially always been an issue for Nintendo exclusive titles though. At least digital exists now, but as someone who's a physical junkie, it always kinda bothers me if I know there's a physical version of a game, and I have to settle for digital just because the physical version is now at astronomical prices. And digital doesn't help diddly squat when a game's been delisted and your only choice is physical.

It's extremely difficult to project what games will be valuable over time as what makes them valuable is subjective and changes. My Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3) was pretty valuable, until recently ported over to the PS4. It wasn't really a collector's item, it was just hard to find and had a small group of people who wanted to play it...now they can. ? After selling most of my valuable games, my Captain America: Super Soldier is pretty valuable, I suppose due to the Marvel license, but I have others that full under the same license and they are not valuable. It's an okay game, but $50 worth now? Baffling.

A lot of the mid-tier games of the PS3 era are pretty sought after, but the PS4 doesn't have that many like the previous generation with mostly a AAA or indie game library, all with day-1 digital downloads. Probably the only really way to acquire valuable PS4 games is to buy every PS4 under the sun and hope you strike gold with a few or buy special editions of AAA games (the ones with statues and such).

On 8/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

I remember something similar happened when they reprinted some PS2 MegaTen games, people snapped them up and sold them at stupid prices, no one bought them, and nowadays you can still get brand new copies of Digital Devil Saga on PS2 for like £20 on Amazon. A game's value really does depend on how much people are willing to pay for it, not what people are selling it for.

HA! I bought DDS1, but had to wait literal years before I could get DDS2 because of the attempted scalping. Ultimately, though, prices came down hard, and I got it.

• Like 1