Some Alienware PCs banned in California, CO, HI, OR, VT, and WA. YHGTBKM.

RadiantFlamberge

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

This regulation was passed by these states in 2016 and went into effect two years ago in 2019. Dell has known about this since it passed and these are the first production PCs that exceed the regulations. And NOW people want to get outraged. Yet another reason to get involved in your local and state politics, not just the national election every four years, if you have problems so you can stop them before they start.

I'm pretty sure leaving just one air conditioning unit on all day in your house in the summer uses more power than a PC. In the summer I try to not use my air conditioning unit as much as I can. It still makes my electric bill over double what it normally is. Those things eat so much power, I mean I guess it's like using a kettle to boil water, but all day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I'm pretty sure leaving just one air conditioning unit on all day in your house in the summer uses more power than a PC. In the summer I try to not use my air conditioning unit as much as I can. It still makes my electric bill over double what it normally is. Those things eat so much power, I mean I guess it's like using a kettle to boil water, but all day.

Those are also part of the same bill. The Computers and Monitors section is just being singled out because: internet. 

https://www.energy.ca.gov/rules-and-regulations/appliance-efficiency-regulations-title-20

• Like 2

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

The problem is mostly, these people, it's usually their hobby. What to get outraged at next.

The thrill of trying to ban something or ruin other people's fun. Once something gets banned, they soon forget and then it's searching for the next project.

Unfortunately a lot of people are usually against these sort of nonsense, but usually just get annoyed and don't really do anything about.

Eventually though, it will come for your hobby / interest.

These people tend to have unfulfilling lives and they get satisfaction out of trying to ruin yours.

There should certainly be some sort of research on trying to cut emissions or electricity if it's wasteful. But not to the extent of ruining something or banning it outright just because you think it's wrong. I rolled my eyes last week when a lot of people were moaning about space travel.

One day, I can image some sort of "think thank" suggest that we have scheduled blackouts for several days of the week, to cut carbon emissions or something.

Alienware PCs are bought for entertainment purposes. I had one myself and it was fairly decent. It doesn't make sense, because while I understand the surge in power consumption from the hot weather (people using their air conditioning), I don't understand why they're going through with this.

California is overcrowded, despite the land mass. But just about every area that is unoccupied is because there aren't good resources and you have to travel long distances to get anywhere. Traffic in Los Angeles has been bad for decades, because I've been down there before. Northern California is getting worse with every passing year, and there is that forest fire that forced many people to evacuate.

And despite all this, this bogus decision to ban any and all Alienware PCs is just insulting. All of those countless cars in California driving around are polluting the environment. Alienware is something that only a minority of people care about in California. But it is being taken away anyway.

I've been up and down that state many times before and I honestly can't blame people for leaving. California is completely messed up. Unfortunately Alienware is going to be quickly forgotten as these morons will just target the next item to ban.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Alienware PCs are bought for entertainment purposes. I had one myself and it was fairly decent. It doesn't make sense, because while I understand the surge in power consumption from the hot weather (people using their air conditioning), I don't understand why they're going through with this.

The optics are bad and also stupid because of how mismanaged it is.

I mean for sure they use a lot of power, but having two regular PCs is going to use up more than one Alienware.

And like I mentioned having an AC unit on all day or playing an Alienware PC for 4-5 hours a day, it's also not a constant use of power either. You might be playing a puzzle game on it or Dark Souls 3, or just using it to search the Internet.

I think we can obviously see the comparison fault here.

In most factories and shopping centres in Japan each has 100s of Ac units keeping the entire place cool, losing it to the outside world everytime someone comes in and out of the stores.

Some of them just have the doors wide open all day. There are much better ways to target power waste, and it certainly isn't by targeting consumers.

I'm sure somebody at some point is going to post a picture of them using an entire room of Alienware PCs and post it somewhere and get viral.

Just to prove a point.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

DailyMail is the British equivalent of the National Enquirer.  

The Daily Mail has been noted for its unreliability and widely criticised for its printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research,[17][18][19][20] and for instances of plagiarism and copyright infringement.[21][22][23][24] In February 2017, the Daily Mail became the first source to be deprecated as an "unreliable source" for use as a reference on the English Wikipedia.[25]

from wikipedia.

The National Enquirer is mostly a toilet paper magazine focused on Hollywood outlandish bullshit. It had good laughs, but very few people actually took it seriously.

The Daily Mail in contrast is sensationalist, catering of course to the extreme politics and the idiots who maintain it. Great Britain has their share of crap just like we do here in the States.

As the article is from the Daily Fail, I have to take it with a obligatory grain of salt. And because it is Daily Fail, I'll fully admit that I only skimmed it, so apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything or otherwise come across as a moron. Either way, stuff like this doesn't surprise me too much. It's not unusual for governments and/or big companies to shift their carbon footprints off onto consumers as much as possible, such as charging for plastic bags in supermarkets or just flat out not providing/selling them at all, when the amount of single use plastic that goes on behind the scenes with transporting food in the first place is a million times more detrimental to the environment.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

As the article is from the Daily Fail, I have to take it with a obligatory grain of salt. And because it is Daily Fail, I'll fully admit that I only skimmed it, so apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything or otherwise come across as a moron. Either way, stuff like this doesn't surprise me too much. It's not unusual for governments and/or big companies to shift their carbon footprints off onto consumers as much as possible, such as charging for plastic bags in supermarkets or just flat out not providing/selling them at all, when the amount of single use plastic that goes on behind the scenes with transporting food in the first place is a million times more detrimental to the environment.

This.

• Like 1