Some Alienware PCs banned in California, CO, HI, OR, VT, and WA. YHGTBKM.

RadiantFlamberge

No more Daily Mail, now that I see what they're like. The first time is the last. Into my blocked sites list it goes.

Because of the California Energy Commission's regulations, Intel is pushing the ATX12VO standard. The power supplies have only a 12V output, with a new 10-pin connector supplying the motherboard. So 3.3V and 5V connections get power from the motherboard, not the PSU itself. ATX12VO focuses on reducing power consumption in idle/low power states... which should cut power usage considerably, since your PC isn't running at full throttle all the time. The standard's PSUs will be cheaper but the motherboards will cost more.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/atx12vo_tested_-_the_future_of_power_supplies/1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Arguments using 'whataboutism' are the most boring pseudo-arguments there are. The fact that there are other things that also need to be addressed to have a big impact on the environment is not a valid reason for not doing one thing. Expecting all-or-nothing approaches is a recipe for 'nothing' every time.

I agree up to a certain point, you need to start somewhere or you will never start at all. But it's not like these are things that "we the people" are doing, it's all by the national or local government. They are able to put their focus on specific subjects, to prioritize bigger polluters in their laws and regulations. So when they conveniently gloss over large industries and focus their efforts instead on reasonably small consumer oriented measures, you need to wonder if you're not doing them a huge favour by calling out people on whatabouttism. Because often I feel like they are acting like they care oh so much while doing oh so very little substantial.

To be honest, I feel like many of these regulations are mainly meant so we can feel good about ourselves in our own little bubble. A good example is the European regulation that forbids the production of vacuum cleaners over 900W. I bought one of 900W a couple of months ago and I now take twice as long to clean the house than I did with my old 1200W vacuum cleaner. So now I actually use up more energy and the best thing is that dust is still gathering up like crazy. So yay environment and yay health!

(And no this isn't just me or bad luck, the EU recently had to forbid the use the energy label of vacuum cleaners because the tests that manufacturers were performing turned out to be highly unrealistic. Of course those kind of tests are already pretty well optimized, but this almost reached "diesel gate" status. It's the only thing the manufacturers could apparently come up with to trick consumers into thinking that this new generation of vacuum cleaners was actually half decent.)

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Some folks define all people who's opinions deviate from their own as "SJW", because they feel like that forces all counter-opinions into the same neat basket, and that using that term will diminish any counter argument as being simply a hollow political act in line with a straw-man, cartoonish view of left wing politics. It is what it is.

It's particularly funny, when viewed from my side of the Atlantic, - where even the American 'Left Wing' would be considered pretty far to the right of centre.

The irony though, is that "SJW" isn't actually a pejorative.

All three terms in the acronym - 'Social,' 'Justice' and 'Warrior' - are resoundingly positive terms... and they all have defined antonyms.

The opposite of an "SJW" would be an "LCC" - a "Lonely Corrupt Coward" - which is a term I'm surprised anyone specifically would want to align themselves with :dunno:

100% spot on. Just sucks to see people who want to use that as a put down, especially when its something as brain dead obvious as the validity of global warming.  I suppose the people throwing around SJW like that would be the exact people to think it was a hoax though ?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I agree up to a certain point, you need to start somewhere or you will never start at all. But it's not like these are things that "we the people" are doing, it's all by the national or local government. They are able to put their focus on specific subjects, to prioritize bigger polluters in their laws and regulations. So when they conveniently gloss over large industries and focus their efforts instead on reasonably small consumer oriented measures, you need to wonder if you're not doing them a huge favour by calling out people on whatabouttism. Because often I feel like they are acting like they care oh so much while doing oh so very little substantial.

Hey man, I'm with you - we should be holding government to account, and pushing for what we want and to do more - but remember, in politics, and particularly local politics, there is no difference between what government is doing and what "we the people" are doing - "We the People" are the government. If they aren't representing you, then vote them out, and vote for someone who will. It's a slow process, and a bureaucratic one, and one inherently plagued by inertia and corruption and false promises, but it's the best one we've got, so we've got to use it.

10 minutes ago, WatertownsFinest said:

100% spot on. Just sucks to see people who want to use that as a put down.

Hell - that's been a problem for decades in US politics - and it's seeped over here too.

How many times have you heard people being called 'Liberal', as if the term 'liberal' is somehow inherently a bad thing?

Look up the antonyms for liberal sometime - a few from the Merriam-Webster dictionary are: 'Fossil,' 'Fuddy-Duddy,' 'Reactionary,' 'Stick-in-the-Mud'...

I've even seen so called left-wing politicians tying themselves in conversational knots trying to avoid using the term to describe themselves - as if the fact that right wingers use it as a truncheon somehow makes it inherently a nasty word ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I was actually referring to California as a whole. I honestly can't blame people for leaving, because right now it is a shithole that is getting worse.

Alienware PCs would probably be the last thing on my mind compared to all the other problems that state has. Most people do build-it-yourself PCs anyway, Alienware isn't as popular as it used to be.

Sad that a piece of powerful hardware from a company that has been around for a long time is just another conversation of debate. The fact is, global warming is happening now, heat waves are becoming more frequent, people are using a lot more power than they did decades ago.

Unbelievable.

• Like 2

eh,

> random environment regulation gets put into place by a state. 

> Gave 3 years to implement. 

> Big company doesn't care. so doesn't implement it. 

> Big company product gets banned. 

> People do boohoo and blames the state. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with with this new regulation. But what I do know is that the company could have done something about it and didn't. So they don't deserve to get sold. 

Every envirmomental change in regulation get a boohoo from the public anyway so this is nothing new. The Netherlands changed the maximum speed on all highways from 130 km/h to 100 km/h. A lot of the highways here were already limited to 100 km/h or 120 km/h anyway. Boohoo form the public all the way. 

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Why would you think that? 

Because nowadays if things are boycotted/banned it's because of some sexual scandal. Nevermind.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey man, I'm with you - we should be holding government to account, and pushing for what we want and to do more - but remember, in politics, and particularly local politics, there is no difference between what government is doing and what "we the people" are doing - "We the People" are the government. If they aren't representing you, then vote them out, and vote for someone who will. It's a slow process, and a bureaucratic one, and one inherently plagued by inertia and corruption and false promises, but it's the best one we've got, so we've got to use it.

Hell - that's been a problem for decades in US politics - and it's seeped over here too.

How many times have you heard people being called 'Liberal', as if the term 'liberal' is somehow inherently a bad thing?

Look up the antonyms for liberal sometime - a few from the Merriam-Webster dictionary are: 'Fossil,' 'Fuddy-Duddy,' 'Reactionary,' 'Stick-in-the-Mud'...

I've even seen so called left-wing politicians tying themselves in conversational knots trying to avoid using the term to describe themselves - as if the fact that right wingers use it as a truncheon somehow makes it inherently a nasty word 1f602.png

..... why do you have two Steam games on your PSN profile? xD

Edited by Lance_87

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I agree with this in premise, but the problem is that "we the people" all hold different opinions and views, so while some might want X, others might want Y which may impede receiving X and vice versa. And as a result, there's always gonna be some tension, conflicting views and criticisms, though I think that goes without saying anyway.

But I think for a lot of people, they just don't really get involved in politics, particularly local politics, either because they don't have the time/energy, don't care, or believe others are better "qualified" or more knowledgeable. As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem like this regulation is anything new, but some people seem unaware of its existence before now, or simply didn't care about it until it affected them. I see this kind of thing happen quite a lot, not just in politics, and it's kinda depressing that a good chunk of people just don't see to care about stuff that could potentially affect them down the line until it hits them in the face.

Personally, I find myself often hesitating to vote in much of anything any more since there's so many politicians/parties that seem to support something I agree with, but also support something I'm not exactly keen on, or otherwise just feel like they're full of it, so it sometimes just feels like a catch 22 or a losing battle from the get go; do I vote for this party because they support X but also support Y? Do I vote for this party who seems to support just X but also seems like they could just be pandering to the X crowd for their own benefit?. Dunno if that's a common feeling or not, but I can't blame others for not wanting to get more involved in politics if it is.

Anywho, OP topic in general isn't something I hold strong opinions about either way since 1. I'm not American 2. I'm not that into PC gaming and 3. I don't have a lot of knowledge of US politics or the regulations surrounding this, mostly because of the former. But this has been an popcorn worthy interesting thread to read nonetheless.

• Like 1

Eh, one of the reasons I decided not to upgrade my old gaming PC, and rather stripped the parts and sold it off, was the power usage.  Not that I'm not a villain of the environment myself in some ways, this was more about the electric bill... but the big ass PC always seemed excessive cranking all day long.  And for what?  Playing Rocket League in 8K 120fps?  I don't see this as a bad thing.

Call me when they start banning consoles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Eh, one of the reasons I decided not to upgrade my old gaming PC, and rather stripped the parts and sold it off, was the power usage.  Not that I'm not a villain of the environment myself in some ways, this was more about the electric bill... but the big ass PC always seemed excessive cranking all day long.  And for what?  Playing Rocket League in 8K 120fps?  I don't see this as a bad thing.

Call me when they start banning consoles.

Imagine California banning PS5s.

BoringSpectacularBlobfish-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Lance_87

57 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Welp, this was the thread that broke the proverbial camel's back for me; "SJW" no longer has any meaning because now it really definitively appears to mean "everything I don't like" to most people. Also, folks warring over a Daily Fail article? Is this Facebook I've wandered back onto? 

I always chuckle to myself when people scream about the ess jay dubyas. It's a catch all term that applies to everything that inconveniences them slightly.

• Like 2

I think people here got triggered when I said the "SJWs in California are ruining everything" which sparked this entire line of comments saying that people like me throw out SJW for anything that doesn't comply with our viewpoints.

Jesus Christ you guys. Did I honestly start a flame war here? Because that's what it seems like to me.

• Like 1