Just got the game... Woot!

Hi all,

Bought the game last night after finishing a remastered game for Hitman. I really needed some PS4 gen gaming after that, and whilst I haven't played an AC game since AC2, I could not turn down the £14.99 gold edition sale currently in the summer sale. 

Just had a an hour or so and it feels really good. The voice cast sounds odd but not awful. The graphics look nice and I like how the combat feels so far... and I get a camel :D

I only bought it though because it was said it was the very (re)start of the franchice and since I missed the other 704 AC games released after AC2, I felt now could be a good time to jump back in. Its been so long since I played an AC game that I cannot say if the combat feels better or worse since AC2, but as I consider myself a born again AC player I must say that it feels really nice. Could have been a touch more fluid, but I imagine my own gaming experience will make it flow better. 

Something I did want to ask. It seems the stealth mechanic is much better than AC or AC2, but it seems I only injure them. Is there a penalty for leaving them like this or killing them when they're down or anything or is it just as simple as 'see it, kill it' kinda gaming?

As for the microtransaction stuff. I notice the game gives you 500 points I then noticed that there are map unlocks which amount up to 1000h. So with the 500 points I could get the 400 points map and then need the 200 x 3 maps but still have 100 remaining. Such a smart (albeit sneaky) financial move from them. Just £3.99 extra and you can get all map unlocks. Now because I got the game on sale I was wondering if these were worth buying because the more time I can spend playing rather than having to check the PC for every collectable the better. But are they a worthy purchase or is it just a blatant scam?

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Something I did want to ask. It seems the stealth mechanic is much better than AC or AC2, but it seems I only injure them. Is there a penalty for leaving them like this or killing them when they're down or anything or is it just as simple as 'see it, kill it' kinda gaming?

Hope you enjoy the game dude, I for one loved it and am still yet to 100% it myself. as for this question though I do believe that later on in the game you are able to kill people stealth rather than just knock them out, don't want to give away too much though dude because spoilers and what not. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Tell you what does suck, every other gamers shite pics appearing all over the map. Gonna have to look at how to switch them off. What a pointless feature that seems to be. 

Had to grab AC: Odyssey for £19.99 for the gold edition whilst I was at it. 

Killed the first boss but it was a bit crap as I didn't even know I was fighting him. I was trying to rescue priests but then got in a fight and it turned out I killed him. I didn't like that about the first AC game as I wish the bosses were in a separate area so it could be all epic and stuff.

Enjoy it mate.

This new direction of Creed games is very gpod, even if the 'Assassin' aspect of the game has gone now

I enjoyed Egypt, but Odyssey was much better as I love greek mythology. Both games imo are very good and if you enjoy Origins, chances are you will like Odyssey.

I am currently playing Valhalla and its excellent, but the game is huge in comparison to both!! It may top Odyssey though as my 2nd fave AC game as ACII for me is the best one.

As for the gamer pics, I think iirc you can filter them off the map in the menus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ashbo said:

Enjoy it mate.

This new direction of Creed games is very gpod, even if the 'Assassin' aspect of the game has gone now

I enjoyed Egypt, but Odyssey was much better as I love greek mythology. Both games imo are very good and if you enjoy Origins, chances are you will like Odyssey.

I am currently playing Valhalla and its excellent, but the game is huge in comparison to both!! It may top Odyssey though as my 2nd fave AC game as ACII for me is the best one.

As for the gamer pics, I think iirc you can filter them off the map in the menus.

Thanks man. I noticed that when you get the gold version of Odyssey you also get AC3 Remastered along with AC Liberation. A definite steal at £19.99. 

In terms of Origins I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I now understand the level up weapons and how you can't just stick to one weapon even if its purple or gold as its level could still be low. I'm now on the 2nd map after seeing the Hassan chick in the mobile animus. I did a bit of mooching about with her and when you discover Bakyet (I'm so shit with names man, thats not even the protagonists name it is lol) laying in the sarcophagus.

I do enjoy the mythology of Egyptian and Greek cultures so I should enjoy these games. Cannot belive the size of the friggin map though man. At first I pressed the map button and thought it was pretty small but then I pulled the stick back and it just kept pulling further and further away to the point where I got dizzy. I read somewhere that a gamer walked from one side of the map to the other (I hope they ran at least)  and it took them over 3 friggin hours :o

I done the first 2 of 12 or the star puzzle too. I'm glad they went for the rpg route and hopefully there is tonnes of this puzzle type stuff. 

I basically buy all my stuff on a separate account but it works fine for this account. But on the purchase account I thought I may as well use the helix coins and buy the map unlocker to see where everything is rather than going from Playstation in one room to the PC in another. Bought them but I don't think that particular items spreads across multiple accounts, perhaps because of the helix purchase system maybe. 

PS. My most favourite bit of Egyptian historic info is how when a battle went wrong at sea for King Xerxes, he had the poor engineers beheaded and then had soldiers whipping the sea because it didn't go how he wanted it too. Ahh inbred royalty, you gotta love those crazy kids. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

Really been enjoying the game all week. Not often I put in over 2 hours at a time on a game on my days off as I like to spread gaming out. But this is very moreish indeed. 

Was just about to take a break when I saw a quest called 'Gift from the Gods'. I expected a weapon or something but I did not expect such an Easter egg moment. Very awesome lol. 

On 2021-07-28 at 4:01 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Thanks man. I noticed that when you get the gold version of Odyssey you also get AC3 Remastered along with AC Liberation. A definite steal at £19.99. 

Don’t forget all the DLCs as well! And Odyssey has a ton of them. I grabbed this like a year ago when it was on sale for $25 CAD and it’s easily the best deal on a video game I’ve ever gotten. 

5 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Don’t forget all the DLCs as well! And Odyssey has a ton of them. I grabbed this like a year ago when it was on sale for $25 CAD and it’s easily the best deal on a video game I’ve ever gotten. 

Yeah I got AC Origins Gold, AC Odyssey and the AC3 remaster along with Liberation for less than £35. Had some amazing bargains over the PS$ years, but this will be hard to top in terms of price and content. 

On 2021-07-28 at 11:54 AM, DaveMcDamage said:

Something I did want to ask. It seems the stealth mechanic is much better than AC or AC2, but it seems I only injure them. 

Yeah that was a stupid decision they decided to go with. Somehow you stabbing an enemy the neck does not kill them it only gives them a little bobo even though their heads is almost dangling of their shoulder. But in the newest AC game Valhalla there is an option to turn on guaranteed assassinations. That option makes stealth viable again. But I don’t think any of the earlier (Origins & Odyssey) AC games had that option. 

If you enjoy Origins you will probably love Odyssey. It’s almost better in every way compared to Origins. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the Curse of the Pharaohs. Done almost everything there is to do in the game, even most of which goes beyond the trophies. I still have the history stuff to do but I'm in no rush as I love documentary stuff. 

But yeah. What a brilliant game its been. My intention was to buy a smaller game and play it before moving onto Odyssey and getting let down if it becomes to same, but I'm just itching to get into it over the weekend. Origins is a really amazing game and so much fun. I can see why its a favourite among the AC community. 

Glad to see you're enjoying it dude!

On 8/2/2021 at 6:14 AM, Quink666 said:

Yeah that was a stupid decision they decided to go with. Somehow you stabbing an enemy the neck does not kill them it only gives them a little bobo even though their heads is almost dangling of their shoulder. But in the newest AC game Valhalla there is an option to turn on guaranteed assassinations. That option makes stealth viable again. But I don’t think any of the earlier (Origins & Odyssey) AC games had that option. 

If you enjoy Origins you will probably love Odyssey. It’s almost better in every way compared to Origins. 

I'm almost certain that there is something in the skill tree that guarantees assassin stealth kills early on in Origins?

On 8/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, UseCodeBPG10 said:

Glad to see you're enjoying it dude!

I'm almost certain that there is something in the skill tree that guarantees assassin stealth kills early on in Origins?

You can get silent kills once you meet Aya and she gives you the hidden blade. Up until that point you just knock them out. But you get the blade pretty quickly, I was just confused at the start of the game thinking I was doing something wrong. 

• 3 months later...

So I have finished the main campaign and only have 2 miscellaneous trophies left for the platinum. Going to do the DLC first though since I prefer the platinum to be be the last trophy to pop and not some random DLC  trophy. 

I enjoyed this more than Odyssey by far but it's still too big a game in my opinion. For me Ubisoft has changed the AC formula too much and except for maybe doing the remastered games (Ezio trilogy & AC3), this is where we part ways. Ancient Greece and Egypt were done beautifully but traveling for what adds up to hours of my life just to open a chest or four, kill some captains and commanders is not a very good game loop. Except for the campaign. I pretty much skipped any side quest dialog, it just didn't engage me. On top of that there are like 5 entire regions with nothing in them, why even bother with that, to show the vastness of the desert/ sea? La de da. I was eternally grateful that the game allows you to turn of enemies autolevelling, Odyssey only allows you to be 4 levels higher than them but Origins allows it stay the same for the whole game if you so choose. 

The Hidden Ones DLC looks promising with the gradual movement of them into being the Assassin's we all know and love. The outfit Bayek starts in just feels so right! It was the first time in 50-60 hours it felt like an AC game, I just hope it lasts for the remainder of my 100%.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

So I have finished the main campaign and only have 2 miscellaneous trophies left for the platinum. Going to do the DLC first though since I prefer the platinum to be be the last trophy to pop and not some random DLC  trophy. 

I enjoyed this more than Odyssey by far but it's still too big a game in my opinion. For me Ubisoft has changed the AC formula too much and except for maybe doing the remastered games (Ezio trilogy & AC3), this is where we part ways. Ancient Greece and Egypt were done beautifully but traveling for what adds up to hours of my life just to open a chest or four, kill some captains and commanders is not a very good game loop. Except for the campaign. I pretty much skipped any side quest dialog, it just didn't engage me. On top of that there are like 5 entire regions with nothing in them, why even bother with that, to show the vastness of the desert/ sea? La de da. I was eternally grateful that the game allows you to turn of enemies autolevelling, Odyssey only allows you to be 4 levels higher than them but Origins allows it stay the same for the whole game if you so choose. 

The Hidden Ones DLC looks promising with the gradual movement of them into being the Assassin's we all know and love. The outfit Bayek starts in just feels so right! It was the first time in 50-60 hours it felt like an AC game, I just hope it lasts for the remainder of my 100%.

I dipped at AC4 because the series was getting stale, left it a few years and played Origins, really loved it. Came back this year, did Rogue and Unity and now onto Odyssey which is by far my favourite.

No assassins creed game has had good game loop. I much prefer Odyssey and travelling all of Greece as oppose to running around a city to collect 400 chests like I had to do in Unity. A lot of people bash Odyssey and thats okay, people can have their opinion but Origins and Odyssey are a massive improvement on the series and I say this as someone who has recently played the old style AC games and was quickly reminded how outdated and janky they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silocia said:

I dipped at AC4 because the series was getting stale, left it a few years and played Origins, really loved it. Came back this year, did Rogue and Unity and now onto Odyssey which is by far my favourite.

No assassins creed game has had good game loop. I much prefer Odyssey and travelling all of Greece as oppose to running around a city to collect 400 chests like I had to do in Unity. A lot of people bash Odyssey and thats okay, people can have their opinion but Origins and Odyssey are a massive improvement on the series and I say this as someone who has recently played the old style AC games and was quickly reminded how outdated and janky they are.

AC4 really should have been just subtitled Black Flag and dropped the number like the rest have, Desmond's story was over so I am not sure why they did that. It's also the point where the overarching story shriveled up and died, what they have with Layla has been the most promising compared to the other Abstergo employees you play as in say Rogue but it's not hooking me in. 

I was satisfied with renovating Rome and collecting chests, recruiting Assassin's, sure collecting feathers sucked but the map was so much smaller and in my mind made it more reasonable. For me AC was action adventure game with a decent sized map and a good story, now they are open world RPG's but lack the driving story to fuel them.

I am glad you have enjoyed the newer games and hope Valhalla continues it for you, but for me it is time to close the book on them.

Finished playing through the Hidden Ones DLC and I actually really enjoyed it. It actually felt like it was an AC game to me for the few hours it took to get through it. I loved how it showed some of the Creed take shape and you were able to recruit some new blood though a little more could have been done with that IMO.

Not sure what to expect with Curse of the Pharaohs but at least this was a bright spot for me.

6 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Finished playing through the Hidden Ones DLC and I actually really enjoyed it. It actually felt like it was an AC game to me for the few hours it took to get through it. I loved how it showed some of the Creed take shape and you were able to recruit some new blood though a little more could have been done with that IMO.

Not sure what to expect with Curse of the Pharaohs but at least this was a bright spot for me.

Curse is a weird one alright. As they did with Odyssey DLC, they added a bit of the god lore into the game. It works, its just odd. The difficulty seems to increase a bit too. 

I still consider Origins a veryt strong AC game as its basically how it all came about and the way they did it I really liked it. Its only when they got to Odyssey that things went odd and away from the franchise. Though its been going for over 15 years now so not surprised they veered off. Still great games though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Curse is a weird one alright. As they did with Odyssey DLC, they added a bit of the god lore into the game. It works, its just odd. The difficulty seems to increase a bit too. 

I still consider Origins a veryt strong AC game as its basically how it all came about and the way they did it I really liked it. Its only when they got to Odyssey that things went odd and away from the franchise. Though its been going for over 15 years now so not surprised they veered off. Still great games though. 

Curse was alright overall, I was hoping to see some Isu as the Egyptian Gods at some point but it was just an Apple of Eden being abused once again. About to do the hippodrome race for the platinum and my time with Origins will be complete. I enjoyed it more than Odyssey and that it took 50 hours less to 100%. I can't imagine what Valhalla's 100% is like. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, da-Noob123 said:

Curse was alright overall, I was hoping to see some Isu as the Egyptian Gods at some point but it was just an Apple of Eden being abused once again. About to do the hippodrome race for the platinum and my time with Origins will be complete. I enjoyed it more than Odyssey and that it took 50 hours less to 100%. I can't imagine what Valhalla's 100% is like. 

Yeah I'm glad I didn't splash out on Valhallah just yet. Gonna give that a wide birth and try and let the current games fade out of that part of the brain that makes 'samey' comparisons before I move on to that. Might even save it for the PS5 or something. 

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I'm glad I didn't splash out on Valhallah just yet. Gonna give that a wide birth and try and let the current games fade out of that part of the brain that makes 'samey' comparisons before I move on to that. Might even save it for the PS5 or something. 

That is a good idea, and given the size of the game, I'm sure the faster load times on the PS5 will be a boon if you go that route. 

• 10 months later...

Just finished the 100% — in short, this game was wonderful.

I’ve always despised Assassin’s Creed games since I platinum’d AC2 like 5+ years ago. The jank that I experienced with the climbing on top of the god awful fighting (I know it’s a stealth game but that doesn’t mean fighting has to be the most irritating and boring element of the game — like Batman combat got down syndrome and dyslexia) made me never want to touch another AC game in my life.

Everything preceding Origins is still heaping shit that aged like milk as far as I’m concerned, but damn they did really well with not only the remapping of the controls, but the feel of the game and versatility of how you can approach the game.

If you’re like me, and AC games have always felt like godawful boring slogs that you couldn’t imagine picking up, this is NOT akin to previous AC games and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes smooth/solid games with heaps of lore.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Long-Ryde said:

Just finished the 100% — in short, this game was wonderful.

I’ve always despised Assassin’s Creed games since I platinum’d AC2 like 5+ years ago. The jank that I experienced with the climbing on top of the god awful fighting (I know it’s a stealth game but that doesn’t mean fighting has to be the most irritating and boring element of the game — like Batman combat got down syndrome and dyslexia) made me never want to touch another AC game in my life.

Everything preceding Origins is still heaping shit that aged like milk as far as I’m concerned, but damn they did really well with not only the remapping of the controls, but the feel of the game and versatility of how you can approach the game.

If you’re like me, and AC games have always felt like godawful boring slogs that you couldn’t imagine picking up, this is NOT akin to previous AC games and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes smooth/solid games with heaps of lore.

This is just what I needed. I have hated the series since I played (and platinumed) AC2 years ago. One of the worst and most boring games I have ever played. The combat in AC2 is god awful and collecting those damn feathers scarred me.

In saying that I love the setting of Origins and I have really wanted to try it out. I even bought it on sale a while back but I just couldn't bring myself to play an AC game after how bad the first two were.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a crack in the near future!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a huge fan of the previous style AC games, I was overall disappointed with Origins. I found the story to be bland and the combat to be average at best. Honestly if Origins was around the length of the old games (~15 hours) I likely would have enjoyed it more. But took me over 60 hours to get full 100% and I was so ready to be done with it by the end. 

The Hidden Ones DLC was my favorite part because they cut out a lot of the fluff in the main missions. I wish the whole game was structured like that DLC but I can see I'm in the minority here :)