Do decisions really matter?

SGRevan

Heyhey,

I've recently bought this game, and I'm loving it so far due to the excellent voice-acting and the overal atmosphere.

Though, after only playing a few chapters, I'm wondering (for those who finished it).. do decisions actually impact the story?

Thanks~

Edited by SGRevan
Accidental posting too soon

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This game is hilarious.

Not good, please understand, not in any way good, but the last chapter made me laugh out loud at how moronically stupid it was. Whole thing goes eight ways bananas, I’m still giggling to myself about it now. Definitely finish it if you stopped midway through, it needs to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Sorry, are we playing the same game? The voice acting is atrocious.

I don't mean to be rude. I've only played the first chapter of each story but I'm not impressed so far.

The problem, I think, is that it's all over the place.

There are some lines that are well delivered - even some whole performances that are pretty good - but they tend to be sandwiched between terrible ones, so any good performance gets lost and diluted... and the story really doesn't work tonally.

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

The problem, I think, is that it's all over the place.

There are some lines that are well delivered - even some whole performances that are pretty good - but they tend to be sandwiched between terrible ones, so any good performance gets lost and diluted... and the story really doesn't work tonally.

Yeah I get that. Meena and Donna's first chapters weren't terrible but the voice acting of John and Jack in their first chapter was so wooden and lifeless.

I've just been informed that this game was made by the people who made Virginia, which is a bit disappointing because I loved Virginia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Yeah I get that. Meena and Donna's first chapters weren't terrible but the voice acting of John and Jack in their first chapter was so wooden and lifeless.

I've just been informed that this game was made by the people who made Virginia, which is a bit disappointing because I loved Virginia.

Me too - I like to think of Last Stop as the Southland Tales to Virginia's Donnie Darko...

Edited by DrBloodmoney

25 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

I've only played the first chapter of each story but I'm not impressed so far.

Oh, you are in for a ride. I got my friend to join me half-way through(via share-screen) and we laughed our asses off at the direction this story took. Meena's story is the only one remotely interesting imo. But even that got thrown into the blender and went apeshit. 

Edited by Akrioz

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it right now and Im in stitches to how weird it gets!

So many dangling plot threads and unanswered question, and the answers you do get are so laughably underwhelming.

Spoiler

You spend literally 95% of the game in some sort of grounded reality, then leave to an alien world for one count 'em ONE action setpiece and then immediately go back!

But I'm glad it did, 'cause now I can recommend it for the wildly absurd romp it becomes instead of the mediocre melodrama is tried to be beforehand.

Well OK, John's story I genuinely liked. 

• 4 months later...

I enjoyed the various storylines, but I was disappointed to learn that all of my choices were inconsequential, aside from the ones at the very end. I love these kinds of games though, so didn't mind playing through it twice just for fun. My favorite story was the Freaky Friday one with John and Jack (they could have made an entire game revolving around this plot). This game is very humorous, intentionally so, and I especially liked the chapter when they're going around trying to convince everyone of their situation, to no avail. I also really enjoyed the music throughout; the piano duet at the pub was particularly beautiful. 

There are plotholes galore, though. The traveler (Frank) says at the beginning that they're 20 minutes late, as if this has happened before. What did he mean and why did he take Samantha only? It's something that never gets expounded on. I always assumed the portals had more to do with time travel than intergalactic space travel, so it was unexpected that it turned into Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy at the end. Furthermore, who is The Stranger and why did he take Donna? Who is he trying to sell her to and for what purpose? Is he an intergalactic human trafficker? That entire plotline feels somewhat unfinished.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, bud-arc said:

I enjoyed the various storylines, but I was disappointed to learn that all of my choices were inconsequential, aside from the ones at the very end. I love these kinds of games though, so didn't mind playing through it twice just for fun. My favorite story was the Freaky Friday one with John and Jack (they could have made an entire game revolving around this plot). This game is very humorous, intentionally so, and I especially liked the chapter when they're going around trying to convince everyone of their situation, to no avail. I also really enjoyed the music throughout; the piano duet at the pub was particularly beautiful. 

There are plotholes galore, though. The traveler (Frank) says at the beginning that they're 20 minutes late, as if this has happened before. What did he mean and why did he take Samantha only? It's something that never gets expounded on. I always assumed the portals had more to do with time travel than intergalactic space travel, so it was unexpected that it turned into Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy at the end. Furthermore, who is The Stranger and why did he take Donna? Who is he trying to sell her to and for what purpose? Is he an intergalactic human trafficker? That entire plotline feels somewhat unfinished.

I hated picking something and subsequently hearing a mix of all the previously available choices. That made the game feel "lazy" and the choices meaningless. There were plenty of parts where you could have had a dynamic story arc, even if they became meaningless in the ending sequence.

In terms of the plot, I agree it was overall bad and full of holes.

Despite all of that, I really really enjoyed playing through this game a second time. I loved John & Jack's part, enjoyed Meena's mysterious and wild ride, and didn't care for Donna's story until my second playthrough:

Spoiler

Because I realized Donna doesn't ever chill with her family in the beginning, and then she either loses her family and friends forever, or gets them back and cherishes them for a price, having her re-evaluate her self/situation either way.

Also, it's nice to see if you choose to switch back with J&J, John realizes he still has his spirit even though he's wheelchair bound, which he didn't have before, and Jack seems to hold them both close in the end.

TL;DR -- It's not a good game, but I REALLY enjoyed the character arcs; the progression for each character played out really well and had me feeling for the characters, which I mark as a job well done by the devs, despite the technical flaws and story issues.

Edited by Long-Ryde

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Decided to get this "free" via PS+ since the game is leaving next month. I'm halfway through, having finished every character's third chapter. While I'm enjoying the story, I'm a little surprised about the dialogue choices not mattering. Unlike Life is Strange where there was a different outcome based on what you chose, it doesn't matter here. I've even chosen dialogue options that the character doesn't even end up saying. There are some choices you need to make that might lead to a missable trophy but otherwise just press the same button every time.