[Beta] PS5 Software Update 2.0-04.00.00 (Vertical Trophy Lists Are Back!!!)

Maxie_M0us3

I do like the new trophy-list design. It is quite close to the PS4, which was pretty much perfect.

No idea, why they ever started whatever is in place now.

I just think that the icon of the trophy-grade next to the trophy-grade written out seems like a waste of space.

I'd prefer something like this, which I quickly did with the first to trophies in the list.

vtq4scpw.jpg

It leaves room for trophy screenshot and video to the right, while the space for the earned-date can double as the progress-counter, while you're still on it. :)

Edited by dalailama1989

2 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

With the ps4 now also displaying ps5 lists, I honestly wonder why they even had the stupid idea to change the list picture size. 

Now it looks like shit on both consoles with those transparent bars around the ps4 list pictures. 

They are in 4:3 now, "to preserve the integrity of Zack Snyder's vision" ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, WildeNick said:

There are a few caveats besides that.

First, they recommend: "Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended"

So this one is quite slower.

There are plenty of M.2 PCIe x4 Gen 4 drives that are under 5500 MB/s read speeds, so look out for that.

Second, they also recommend using a heatsink with a drive. It is because m.2 drives can throttle in a similar way any CPU/GPU does. If the temperature becomes too high, it drops the speed to prevent overheating and potential damage. If it is too hot for a long time some drives can drop speeds to the same level as regular SATA SSD (~500 MB/s). 

And so from that comes a small problem of physical size. Whether you buy a drive with a heatsink pre installed or buy it separately, you should watch out for: 

"Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H). "

Maybe some manufacturers will eventually sell drives marked as "PS5 Drive" or "PS5 compatible" which will make life a bit easier but probably more expensive. Anyway I would recommend to wait until OS update is released and a few tests with different drives (outside/within recommended specs) and different PS5 games are published. As for now you can read this article from Digital Foundry where they explain the specs and currently best drive options.

Personally I use external HDD for all my PS4 games. Load times are basically the same as on my PS4 Pro with SATA SSD. And because I usually play only one or two games at the same time, I have a lot of free space on my internal drive.    

Recommended,,,,,,, Samsung 1tb 4900 read works fine

Edit:  lol, I just read, enjoy adding your heatsink, Digital Foundry the master race at it's finest

Edited by Z1MZUM

Hi. As there any optical connection in ps5, i use optical from tv to base stand for my Astro A50(sound goes via hdmi to tv and via optic to astro).now that there is option to use 3D sound for external speakers, can i use this to have processed 3D sound?

59 minutes ago, jackhalu said:

Hi. As there any optical connection in ps5, i use optical from tv to base stand for my Astro A50(sound goes via hdmi to tv and via optic to astro).now that there is option to use 3D sound for external speakers, can i use this to have processed 3D sound?

[snip]

I misread your post initially. Sorry about that.

I'm not on the beta so I can't say if the update works with headphones that aren't connected to the controller like usual, but I doubt it - as it requires the use of the controller's mic to calibrate it (Kind of like how Rock Band calibrates audio sync).

Edited by RHGSniperFox

Oh wow, I just watched a 3500 drive installed and it actually worked, well below recommendation. Maybe a little bit too low but that's why we have a Beta test I guess. Sony has stated that even a 7000 mbs drive will not reach that speed, in fact they stated it won't match the internal? Hopefully this isn't a physical problem that can be corrected by software updates. 

I do have Beta 2.0, I have tested a 4900mbs Samsung 1tb and it works.

Like buying a new GPU for your pc, the recommendations will be way over what actually works. With that said the NVME market is well and truly overpriced right now, I wouldn't go spending a load of $ unless you've got another use for a NVME. idk but I suspect "problems" with this in the near future.

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Oh wow, I just watched a 3500 drive installed and it actually worked, well below recommendation. Maybe a little bit too low but that's why we have a Beta test I guess. Sony has stated that even a 7000 mbs drive will not reach that speed, in fact they stated it won't match the internal? Hopefully this isn't a physical problem that can be corrected by software updates. 

I do have Beta 2.0, I have tested a 4900mbs Samsung 1tb and it works.

Like buying a new GPU for your pc, the recommendations will be way over what actually works. With that said the NVME market is well and truly overpriced right now, I wouldn't go spending a load of $ unless you've got another use for a NVME. idk but I suspect "problems" with this in the near future.

Please share with everybody where did you see a 3500 installed to confirm that it works fine. Also, after installing, PS5 formats the drive and performs a read speed test. I wonder what it shows after testing a 3500 MB/s spec drive. 

There are already a few videos on YouTube demonstrating the whole process with recommended drives. For example this one:

He tested the same drive, Mark Cerny tweeted. As you can see it performs initial read test and it can reach 6418.88 MB/s. (Spec is up to 7000). As for games, Ratchet & Clank seem to be loading exactly the same as from internal drive.

Could you please also clarify what model of Samsung NVMe drive has marketed read speed of 4900 MB/s? All models of Gen 4 drives from Samsung, that available right now, have following speeds: 6400, 6800, 6900 and 7000. The quickest Gen 3 drive is 3500.

The only Gen 4 drive with exactly that speed is Sabrent Rocket Q4 4TB model - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08D2TC7DY?linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&creativeASIN=B08D2TC7DY&tag=geizhals1-21&ascsubtag=3zCkfeKZIlAEvRMkusmKg&th=1 

I am watching prices and models available in my region (EU - DE), so different countries - different prices and some times different models. That's why I would appreciate if you can write the exact model name.

If you can start, lets say, Red Dead Redemption 2 on GT 1030 GPU, doesn't mean that you will get the best or at least good experience. I can agree that they probably gave these recommendations with a headroom, because it is beta and because there are a lot of different drives, so these are more like "safe" recommendations. I also think that beta allows you to install and use slower drives specifically to find out at what speed you will start getting problems during loading or gameplay and on release they might change these recommendations. Probably if your actual read speed is really 4900 MB/s, you will not experience any problems in games, because the difference from recommended 5500 is not that big. 

Btw, 5500 is not just any random number. Mark Cerny showed it as PS5 SSD raw data speed at his "Road to PS5" presentation:

Spoiler

71340_454_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-dee

If you really have an opportunity to test a drive that is under official specs or you know of any video test done by someone else, please share that info. Screenshot of PS5 speed test, gameplay test in something like Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Spider Man Remastered and MM. Does it work the same after substantial gameplay time (2,3,4 hours)?

But simply saying "It works fine, don't bother" is not a very good advice.     

Edited by WildeNick
Additional info

13 hours ago, WildeNick said:

Please share with everybody where did you see a 3500 installed to confirm that it works fine. Also, after installing, PS5 formats the drive and performs a read speed test. I wonder what it shows after testing a 3500 MB/s spec drive. 

There are already a few videos on YouTube demonstrating the whole process with recommended drives. For example this one:

He tested the same drive, Mark Cerny tweeted. As you can see it performs initial read test and it can reach 6418.88 MB/s. (Spec is up to 7000). As for games, Ratchet & Clank seem to be loading exactly the same as from internal drive.

Could you please also clarify what model of Samsung NVMe drive has marketed read speed of 4900 MB/s? All models of Gen 4 drives from Samsung, that available right now, have following speeds: 6400, 6800, 6900 and 7000. The quickest Gen 3 drive is 3500.

The only Gen 4 drive with exactly that speed is Sabrent Rocket Q4 4TB model - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08D2TC7DY?linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&creativeASIN=B08D2TC7DY&tag=geizhals1-21&ascsubtag=3zCkfeKZIlAEvRMkusmKg&th=1 

I am watching prices and models available in my region (EU - DE), so different countries - different prices and some times different models. That's why I would appreciate if you can write the exact model name.

If you can start, lets say, Red Dead Redemption 2 on GT 1030 GPU, doesn't mean that you will get the best or at least good experience. I can agree that they probably gave these recommendations with a headroom, because it is beta and because there are a lot of different drives, so these are more like "safe" recommendations. I also think that beta allows you to install and use slower drives specifically to find out at what speed you will start getting problems during loading or gameplay and on release they might change these recommendations. Probably if your actual read speed is really 4900 MB/s, you will not experience any problems in games, because the difference from recommended 5500 is not that big. 

Btw, 5500 is not just any random number. Mark Cerny showed it as PS5 SSD raw data speed at his "Road to PS5" presentation:

Reveal hidden contents

71340_454_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-dee

If you really have an opportunity to test a drive that is under official specs or you know of any video test done by someone else, please share that info. Screenshot of PS5 speed test, gameplay test in something like Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Spider Man Remastered and MM. Does it work the same after substantial gameplay time (2,3,4 hours)?

But simply saying "It works fine, don't bother" is not a very good advice.     

The 3500 probably won't work fine, I just watched it happening so sorry I didn't record my life but it's that f'n boring you aren't missing much, I can assure you it didn't say "There is a module in your ps5" and shit itself. The 4900 seems to work fine, In short I really don't care, this is beta testing. Logically you're not going to want to rely on a drive well below recommendation, There's no harm in experimenting. Just like I did putting a 3.5 inch 4tb HDD in the original PS4 in like month 2.

This isn't some kind of mystical adventure in science and technology, it's a video game console that accepts and extra drive, Kind of. I like to try things, my nvme is back in my pc and get this, I couldn't even bothered trying the 7000. I don't really need the space yet.

Here's some interesting results using a 3800, Like I said my 4900 works fine. This beta test is just bizarre, It makes me question the actual abilities of the PS5. I'll remember this next time I buy a PC game that states I need a 5500 NVME, Oh wait that won't happen because it doesn't matter if my games loads 1 second slower.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, Blurrkup said:

That's not the trophy tracking, that is the new trophy list, two different things.

I that case idk, google it? It's not like the XBOX X/S , I don't know if there's a helping hand, I don't think there is. I use this site more often then the actual console to track trophies. 

Edit: It is strange that I can not find any form of trophy tracking in the Beta, However the update says it is there. Well clearly I'm wrong as we will get the helping hand? This is just bizarre and surely some people here must be on Beta? I know we are primarily a trophy community.

Edited by Z1MZUM

• 1 month later...