Cleric Beast Shortcut Fixed by Modders

AndyKazama

Sorry if already posted. However haven't seen a recent thread update since June for this game.

Note: you won't be able to do this shortcut on vanilla PlayStation, it's a mod.

Anyway: so a while back Lance MacDonald proved the Cleric Beast door in Central Yharnam connects  with the Cathedral Ward. Some madlad got it working via modding

I'd love to see this game come to PS5 with minor fixes such as this, and the cut boss rush mode. (I believe these can access these via codes in release game, however love to see these official.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jasko_SOA said:

No offense meant, but what makes this special?

Because some people may follow the work Lance MacDonald does. It's incredibly interesting to see what's been cut and what could be restored. The modder even considered small details such as if you've never beaten Cleric Beast, adding a fog wall as to not break game logic. Maybe I'm just a saddo ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, Though I'm guessing that the door was probably cut for gameplay improvement reasons. The Cleric Beast is far easier to beat than Father Gascoigne. Additionally, Gascoigne teaches the player better about dodging, parrying, and the importance of aggression. I have bets on the feedback they got from initial playtests and the learnings for Dark Souls 1 that giving the player access to shortcuts or 'wrong' options too early on can lead to even less player retention and the feeling of being cheated.
We all know that friend that started playing Darks souls 1 and went to the Catacombs or New Londo and just got beaten into submission. Or played dark souls 2 and went to Heide's Tower of Flame instead of Forest of Fallen Giants. Not many of them kept going beyond that...

After you have reached the church, however, there is never a need to ever return to the starting area. So that might have also been another reason to not leave it openable from the other side. Providing the shortcut would have made the player believe it would come in handy. It never would though.

Interesting none the less.