Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

4 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Funny you just wrote a review on Grim Fandango, I just finished DrBloodMoney's review on a similar game, Flipping Death! 1f605.png

I'm behind on the good doctor's reviews? behind on a lot with the threads, actually! His is one of those where you really wanna sit, take your time and give the words the attention they deserve.. these days I feel like I'm rushing through everything!

It's always fantastic to play a game where you've lived with the culture the game presents. I mean, I bloody loved Dingodile's Aussie antics in Crash 4!

Interesting! Truth be told, I've long wondered how much of what media has told me about Australian culture is accurate. I consider Crash to have received a ringing endorsement!

I best describe it as something that can be played at your own pace. With point and click games, you decide how fast to go, where to go, and when to do things. I suppose this is true for ANY game where you have control, but it feels different; with other games, usually you have linear levels to traverse with a clear goal. I suppose then that perhaps an open-world game would fit this category, I mean you can technically do things at your own pace there, but point and click games are like the middle-ground of these two things; they're linear, and there isn't always a clear goal. Because of this, I always felt like you can just appreciate each room and environment a lot more. Ironically enough, with open world games, there's SO much to see that sometimes it's hard to appreciate details unless you really look hard. I will say though, Fallout has managed to grasp me in an open-world setting due to some incredible lore... but I digress! 1f605.png

Agreed! That lack of pressure is much appreciated - from what I've played at least, there's seldom anything time sensitive, so if a puzzle takes you a day or six, it's no big deal, you're always where you need to be, so to speak. Then open world games are like "yeahmann, run around some, peep out the world! The story will still be here when you get back. Say, while you're out can you grab some beer?"

May I also suggest the Pixar film Coco, a story about the Day of the Dead, it seems to have taken a lot of inspiration that this game did, you might like it a lot!

Yo my wife and I looove Coco! She got me caught up on Pixar, for example I'd wanted to watch Up for years but never got around to it - she sat my ass down and made it happen?? so when Coco came around I was all caught up?

And also I'm really late to this, but Australia also has Coco Pops. 1f60e.png

Man, I live smack dab in between y'all! Where's my Coco Pops, dammit?

• Like 2

Nice write-up for Vampyr dude! A friend of mine loved this game and has tried very hard to get me to give it a shot. It sounds like there’s quite a bit going for it but it’s just a bit rough around the edges. Maybe I’ll play through Bloodborne instead and then convince my friend to do the same ?

Always a pleasure to read your take on a game though fam! Keep up the great writing and keep racking up those completions ?

• Like 3

Good work on the recent completions Smevz! On the note of Islanders:
It's always good to chill with a nice relaxing game! I know @rjkclarke played an island game recently, but more of a survival one. I think I've already mentioned this point before, but it's always fascinating when devs take similar concepts (eg being on an island) and manage to make wildly different ideas out of it! But I suppose that's the very nature of what we create; we subconsciously find ourselves inspired by other works, and we use these to create new things with similarities. You even stated it feels like Cities: Skylines for instance. Even on that level, we can pick apart different games from there that it reminds us of, like a string of connected ideas...
Looking back and proof-reading this, I hope what I'm writing here doesn't sound too preachy. ? I just find it really cool how so many things can be so alike and contrasting at the same time!

And also, I suppose even Crash Bandicoot 1 is an island game! ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Another point for realm722! He needs a YouTube channel or something, I do believe he's yet to miss with a rec. Tempting as it is to simply link to his excellent review and call it a day though, it's far time this lovely game is given its due write-up!

You should've @'d me it took me too long to realize you had reviewed it ?. Splendid job though! I absolutely love the descriptions of "Baby's First Sim City" and "digital mini-Greece' to describe the game's style and cycle in an easy and succinct fashion. Wonderful job and I'm very much looking forward to your Dex review as it's one I've had on my wishlist but have jsut been waiting for it go on sale. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2022 at 1:23 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Nice write-up for Vampyr dude! A friend of mine loved this game and has tried very hard to get me to give it a shot. It sounds like there’s quite a bit going for it but it’s just a bit rough around the edges. Maybe I’ll play through Bloodborne instead and then convince my friend to do the same ?

Thanks man! Yeah, I think you've got the right course of action there?

On 1/20/2022 at 1:23 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Always a pleasure to read your take on a game though fam! Keep up the great writing and keep racking up those completions ?

Thanks homie?

On 1/23/2022 at 3:54 AM, Shrooba said:

Good work on the recent completions Smevz!

Why thank you, sir!

On the note of Islanders:
It's always good to chill with a nice relaxing game! I know @rjkclarke played an island game recently, but more of a survival one. I think I've already mentioned this point before, but it's always fascinating when devs take similar concepts (eg being on an island) and manage to make wildly different ideas out of it!

Oh mos def, it's impressive the mileage you can get out of concepts like that. Makes sense though, as the limits are entirely based on one's own creativity, and the video game developing community is far from having a shortage of that!

But I suppose that's the very nature of what we create; we subconsciously find ourselves inspired by other works, and we use these to create new things with similarities. You even stated it feels like Cities: Skylines for instance. Even on that level, we can pick apart different games from there that it reminds us of, like a string of connected ideas...
Looking back and proof-reading this, I hope what I'm writing here doesn't sound too preachy. 1f605.png I just find it really cool how so many things can be so alike and contrasting at the same time!

Nah, I feel you bro! It's a funny concept - nothing is entirely original, as everything has something else's fingerprints on it, but that doesn't make anything contrived by default either, because that creator's unique experiences and perspectives will ultimately create something impossible to perfectly replicate. Ah, the creative world?

And also, I suppose even Crash Bandicoot 1 is an island game! 1f602.png

Yo I been meaning to comment on your Crash progress, you're slaying that shit like nobody's business!

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

You should've @'d me it took me too long to realize you had reviewed it ?.

Dude I can be weird about @s. Sometimes I'm excited to holler at folks and other times I feel like I'd be bothering somebody, but completely independent of the actual people and entirely based on the mood I happen to be in. Does that make sense? I know it's silly. Sorry about that!

Splendid job though! I absolutely love the descriptions of "Baby's First Sim City" and "digital mini-Greece' to describe the game's style and cycle in an easy and succinct fashion.

Thank you! Yeah, with as cutesy and easy to pick up as it is, a "Fisher-Price Presents" prefix wouldn't have felt off at all! Again, I can't thank you enough for dragging that game out of obscurity for me, it's a classic example of a hidden gem.

Wonderful job and I'm very much looking forward to your Dex review as it's one I've had on my wishlist but have jsut been waiting for it go on sale. 

Funny you should say that...

Yaaaaas!!! I think that game would be right up your alley, but yeah don't do what I did - rjkclarke did a great review of Dr. Dekker and I thought "eh it's cheap, I'll just pay full price." It's been on sale twice since then, and I haven't even touched it?

• Like 4

Goddammit Smev, I had to take some time away from the checklists because reviews like your’s get me amped and hyped up to switch to new games!

Great reviews, especially for Dex.  I picked it up on sale as well after @rjkclarke posted that review some time back.

Grim Fandango has been chilling in the my PC backlog as well!

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Goddammit Smev, I had to take some time away from the checklists because reviews like your’s get me amped and hyped up to switch to new games!

???

On 1/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Great reviews, especially for Dex.  I picked it up on sale as well after @rjkclarke posted that review some time back.

Grim Fandango has been chilling in the my PC backlog as well!

Thanks so much, dude! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with Dex. And Grim Fandango as it was originally intended??? I think you must, my friend.

• Like 1

Awesome read man - which strangely reminded me why I always feel completely baffled whenever I see anything from Bob's Burgers. Granted I've never tried to really watch it, but any time that I catch even a little bit I get very confused about what's going on :lol:.

That's a hell of a trophy streak by the way. I just looked on truetrophies out of curiosity to see mine, and my best is 26 days apparently, and you've got that beaten by quite the monumental amount dude!

Congrats on the amount of reviews you've been cranking out lately - reminds me I've been absolutely slacking like a little TJ, so I'd better get and remedy that one!

I loved your review of Vampyr, but you already pretty extensively know my thoughts on that game, so I don't feel the need to really say too much about it outside of..... Well done for going into pretty extensive detail with the music! GOOD JOB BUDDY. 

Brothers might have to go on my backlog too I think..... I just always put that off because for some reason I imagined the unusual control scheme would make my tired feeble brain implode ?..... So if someone finds me slumped in a corner with blood dripping from my nose and ear, you're being held responsible! ?

On 20/01/2022 at 9:23 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Nice write-up for Vampyr dude! A friend of mine loved this game and has tried very hard to get me to give it a shot. It sounds like there’s quite a bit going for it but it’s just a bit rough around the edges. Maybe I’ll play through Bloodborne instead and then convince my friend to do the same 1f601.png

I would suggest playing through Bloodborne instead man!...... I can categorically say you'd have a better time with it than you would with Vampyr. 

Maybe don't suggest you and I co-op it otherwise you'd probably get super hacked off with me constantly laughing my arse off at the stupid noises that the enemies make. And the one enemy that just screams AWAY, AWAY........ Because they really make me laugh.

On 24/01/2022 at 3:40 PM, realm722 said:

You should've @'d me it took me too long to realize you had reviewed it 1f602.png. Splendid job though! I absolutely love the descriptions of "Baby's First Sim City" and "digital mini-Greece' to describe the game's style and cycle in an easy and succinct fashion. Wonderful job and I'm very much looking forward to your Dex review as it's one I've had on my wishlist but have jsut been waiting for it go on sale. 

I'm going to @realm722 you right now!

IF....... and this is a big if, it'll make you just that little bit more likely to buy and play Dex sooner, because I think that game deserves more love than it gets. Then I'm also going to link you to my Dex Review Here.

You might even have read it already to be fair, but I just want more people to play that game, so forgive me if I'm being overbearing.

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I lost a review that I put a lot into recently, and the salt very much still resides in the wound. I was almost done when the site re-loaded and I found myself staring at just the first paragraph.

I am so sorry to hear that man!

I've been there, more than once too unfortunately - I lost my first version of my Tomb Raider: Underworld review last summer - and that was long, and that was brutal, and ever since then I've written every review into a word document beforehand, just to stop that ever happening again!

Sleeping Dogs - Owned this on the 360 and played it for maybe an hour or so, no idea why I stopped. Been wanting to pick it up again for literally years, so y'know. No time like the present and all that.

You're in for a treat there - pretty much a solid thirty or so hours of fun to be had there. It's got some pretty sweet DLC too!

Murdered: Soul Suspect - I know nothing about this game except rjkclarke recommended it as some quick noir goodness, and the homie ain't led me astray yet.

It's definitely that - quick Noir goodness. I just really hope you like it.  Just don't throw tomatoes at me if you get sick of how many collectibles there are, because there's lots, and I don't really like them either, but they are at least fairly interesting. But I think the game itself, the story its telling and what it's trying to be kind of made any of the negativity of masses of collectibles wash away. That game is very heavy on atmosphere, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Oh noooooo????

That's too hard, man... I'm gonna cheat and go Tier list:

S - Dubai, Berlin, Mendoza

A - Dartmoor, Chongqing

B - Carpathian Mountains

stephen-smith.gif

Solid choices in the ranking system there ?

My favourite one was Dartmoor, then Berlin, then Mendoza ?

• Like 1

Good to see how you've been going this month Smevz!
1/12th of the year is already over, but I suppose the first and last months always feel quick, it slows to a halt around the midway point! ?

In any case, it's great that you managed to meet your goals for our good friend January, here's to the best of luck for Hitman 3! Again, I loved your look on Grim Fandango, a good start to the year!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:45 PM, Heather342 said:

Solid choices in the ranking system there 1f44d.png

My favourite one was Dartmoor, then Berlin, then Mendoza 1f601.png

I think the thing with Dartmoor and Berlin is that the maps were already dope, they were so cool in their own ways, but the added stipulations to the gameplay really made them shine - a murder mystery and being the hunted one for once, both brilliant concepts to add to a game like this!

On 2/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, rjkclarke said:

Awesome read man - which strangely reminded me why I always feel completely baffled whenever I see anything from Bob's Burgers. Granted I've never tried to really watch it, but any time that I catch even a little bit I get very confused about what's going on :lol:.

Thanks man! Haha yeah Bob's Burgers is very much its own brand of silly.

That's a hell of a trophy streak by the way. I just looked on truetrophies out of curiosity to see mine, and my best is 26 days apparently, and you've got that beaten by quite the monumental amount dude!

Congrats on the amount of reviews you've been cranking out lately - reminds me I've been absolutely slacking like a little TJ, so I'd better get and remedy that one!

Thank you! Although I do still get that nagging feeling like I'm some annoying loud mouth who won't shut up when I crank a lot out in a short period of time, I do like getting a lot of them done. My goal is by the end of the year to be caught up, so that every new review is of a freshly completed game!

I loved your review of Vampyr, but you already pretty extensively know my thoughts on that game, so I don't feel the need to really say too much about it outside of..... Well done for going into pretty extensive detail with the music! GOOD JOB BUDDY. 

wink-rihanna.gif

Brothers might have to go on my backlog too I think..... I just always put that off because for some reason I imagined the unusual control scheme would make my tired feeble brain implode 1f602.png..... So if someone finds me slumped in a corner with blood dripping from my nose and ear, you're being held responsible! 1f606.png

Oh hell no, I grew my hair out to cover that barcode tattoo and besides I live all the way over here in Cali so you couldn't possi-

...oh... oh yes, you were joking! Of course you were, why wouldn't you be! Ahem... excuse me!

Seriously though Brothers is pretty short, and extremely charming, I'd definitely recommend it as something chill to play if you wanna wind down (which you might, I know you just wrapped up quite the behemoth in Yakuza 3).

I would suggest playing through Bloodborne instead man!...... I can categorically say you'd have a better time with it than you would with Vampyr. 

I really need to get on board with that one. So is it true that there's an inkling of similarity in the gameplay, except with Bloodborne actually getting it right? I'm very curious.

I am so sorry to hear that man!

I've been there, more than once too unfortunately - I lost my first version of my Tomb Raider: Underworld review last summer - and that was long, and that was brutal, and ever since then I've written every review into a word document beforehand, just to stop that ever happening again!

I really need to start doing that. The phone equivalent would be copying and texting it to myself for safe keeping, which I think I will employ from here on out.. also I think I've finally mustered the will to re-write said review. But first, I haven't gotten any trophies yet today soooo???

You're in for a treat there - pretty much a solid thirty or so hours of fun to be had there. It's got some pretty sweet DLC too!

It's definitely that - quick Noir goodness. I just really hope you like it.  Just don't throw tomatoes at me if you get sick of how many collectibles there are, because there's lots, and I don't really like them either, but they are at least fairly interesting. But I think the game itself, the story its telling and what it's trying to be kind of made any of the negativity of masses of collectibles wash away. That game is very heavy on atmosphere, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

I am so looking forward to both of these games!

I don't know if you've seen Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but there's a great bit where Hedwig says "I had tried singing once and they threw tomatoes, so after the show I had a nice salad."

On 2/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, Shrooba said:

Good to see how you've been going this month Smevz!
1/12th of the year is already over, but I suppose the first and last months always feel quick, it slows to a halt around the midway point! 1f605.png

In any case, it's great that you managed to meet your goals for our good friend January, here's to the best of luck for Hitman 3! Again, I loved your look on Grim Fandango, a good start to the year!

Thanks so much, my dude!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I think the thing with Dartmoor and Berlin is that the maps were already dope, they were so cool in their own ways, but the added stipulations to the gameplay really made them shine - a murder mystery and being the hunted one for once, both brilliant concepts to add to a game like this!

M’dude - now that you have conquered the entire trilogy, and have entered the pantheon, there is one last challenge you are required to complete…

…the hardest challenge of them all…

Tier list ranking for all maps across all games! 
:awesome::awesome:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

M’dude - now that you have conquered the entire trilogy, and have entered the pantheon, there is one last challenge you are required to complete…

…the hardest challenge of them all…

Tier list ranking for all maps across all games! 
:awesome::awesome:

Bruuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I feel like a teenaged girl- "no, you first!!"

• Like 2

knocked-up-ben-stone.gif

While tiered, everything is still listed in order from best to least best. Sapienza gets top honors, it just has to - it's not only gorgeous and filled with possibility for murderous mischief, but it's when I truly fell in love with the new Hitman.

Shit, talk about Italian cliché?

S - Sapienza, Berlin, Miami, Mendoza, Dubai, Paris

A - Dartmoor, Bangkok, Santa Fortuna, Chongqing, Mumbai, Haven Island, New York, Hokkaido, Marrakesh, Isle of Sgàil

B - Whittleton Creek, Colorado, Hawke's Bay, ICA Facility, Carpathian Mountains

giphy.gif?ssl=1

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

S - Sapienza, Berlin, Miami, Mendoza, Dubai, Paris

A - Dartmoor, Bangkok, Santa Fortuna, Chongqing, Mumbai, Haven Island, New York, Hokkaido, Marrakesh, Isle of Sgàil

B - Whittleton Creek, Colorado, Hawke's Bay, ICA Facility, Carpathian Mountains

I dig it!

Man - we’re much closer than I might have expected - your 6 S-Tiers are all in my own top 8!

??

Top class my man!

• Like 1