YaManSmevz

Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

465 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #56: UnMetal

 

While I love a good spoof as much as the next person, I'll also quickly admit that it's an extremely easy thing to fumble. For every Airplane! or Don't Be a Menace, there are countless Disaster/Epic/Date Movie type deals that are utter garbage and make the genre as a whole that much harder to sell to somebody, and it was for this very reason that I initially balked at the idea of trying out UnMetal.

 

As a big fan of a good spoof (and, like you, an enemy of the terrible ones!) I wholeheartedly recommend you check out McGruber if you haven't! Based on what UnMetal seems to be, I think it will be right up your alley... I'd rank it right up there in spoof terms with The Naked Gun / Top Secret! / Hot Shots! / Don't Be A Menace.... and it seems to be aping the exact same things that UnMetal is!

 

(Also, not for nothing, while I totally agree that almost every one of those "X Movie" parodies are beyond woeful... I must admit, I do still have an odd soft spot for the first one - Not Another Teen Movie...😳

Might just be my personal soft spot for teem romantic comedies... but I maintain there are actually more good jokes than bad ones in there... and it definitely showed off a very young Chris Evan's comedy timing to a tee!

 

 

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

The macho voice, the tough guy jokes, not to mention that at the time I was still in the process of converting to Team 16-Bit. Didn't think about it much until I saw it in a recent sale and gave the trailer another watch... and this time, I really got what they were going for, and found myself unexpectedly excited to play it!

 

Before going further, I should point out that "they" is barely applicable. UnMetal's developer is so small, its name is in the developer's actual Twitter handle - @UnEpic_Fran. In fact, that's the developer name listed here on PSNProfiles! All I've been able to gather is that this is the work of one Francisco Téllez de Meneses, a Barcelona-based game developer who merely collaborates with others, naming his company UnEpic after the first game he made back in 2011.

 

This game has 84 credits - Téllez de Meneses created it, another guy did graphics, and two others handled the music and sound effects. The remaining 79 consist of the different language voice casts, translators, the publisher's team, and testers. Makes me wish I'd paid full price, as I enjoyed this game immensely!

 

You play as Jesse Fox, a civilian convicted of a crime he didn't commit and held in a military base. In the midst of a daring escape, he finds himself in the middle of a terrorist plot where he has no choice but to align himself with a captured Colonel and photographer to take down the baddies and end the threat to the world as we know it.

 

UnMetal is very obviously modeled after the NES Metal Gear games and lovingly parodies not only the franchise as a whole, but this genre (it's a jawn-rah) altogether. Gags about unrealistic things in games are far from new of course, but there's a specificity here, as well as actually being surprisingly funny more often than not, that creates way more hits than misses. Overall, the writing is sharp enough to keep the format afloat, when in lesser hands it could get stale quite quickly!

 

We progress as Fox is telling his story, which gives a few options here and there. There will be moments where he pauses to remember a detail, and it's on you to pick - this is introduced very early in the game. UnMetal does use this to troll the gamer at times though - sometimes if you choose something that sounds easier, it will backfire in ridiculous fashion.

 

As well as the game-oriented humor is nailed here, thankfully it isn't strictly gamer-based (lest it become reminiscent of a sprite webcomic or something) and is wisely rounded out. There's a healthy helping of Hot Shots/Naked Gun type humor, with absurd logic and bumbling heroes leading the charge. Creating chloroform by combining the (widely well known) chemicals Chloro and Form in an Erlenmeyer flask, the hair-brained enemies (one of which even forgets his lines), our protagonist generally not being able to put two and two together and keep up with the player, that kind of shit just takes me back to watching the aforementioned movies and dying of laughter at the dumbest things and loving it.

 

Damn.... I can't deny this one never really got a second look from me, but the parody angle couple with it being similar to original Metal Gear does have my interest piqued... as the last hold-out still maintaining that the best Metal Gear was the first one, I might be legally obligated to check UnMetal out! 😂

 

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

THAT Trophy: YOU'RE A TOUGH GUY

 

UnMetal can be a fairly tricky game at times, and doing my first playthrough on Hard definitely gave me a lot of moments where I felt stumped for a bit, but they never lasted terribly long. Tough but fair, I guess you could say. Plus, the trophy list is fairly forgiving, so nothing else comes to mind! You're not required to do a death-free speed run or anything like that, and everything is fairly self-explanatory, so completing the game in Hard mode is by default the roughest of the bunch.

 

Congrats on the Plat, and nice write up m'dude! 👍

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

As a big fan of a good spoof (and, like you, an enemy of the terrible ones!) I wholeheartedly recommend you check out McGruber if you haven't! Based on what UnMetal seems to be, I think it will be right up your alley... I'd rank it right up there in spoof terms with The Naked Gun / Top Secret! / Hot Shots! / Don't Be A Menace.... and it seems to be aping the exact same things that UnMetal is!

 

Sold! You're yet to steer me wrong after all, but also I remember when I first got my hands those eight or so episodes of Police Squad! "Sergeant, take her away and book her!" "Ah yes, Sergeant Takeraway and Sergeant Booker." Also for some reason, Leslie Neilsen crashing his car into trash cans never got old🤣🤣🤣

 

Quote

(Also, not for nothing, while I totally agree that almost every one of those "X Movie" parodies are beyond woeful... I must admit, I do still have an odd soft spot for the first one - Not Another Teen Movie...😳

Might just be my personal soft spot for teem romantic comedies... but I maintain there are actually more good jokes than bad ones in there... and it definitely showed off a very young Chris Evan's comedy timing to a tee!

 

Agreed pretty hard! I thought that and the first Scary Movie were the last ones of that ilk that I really enjoyed. I also thought it was funny that for the most part, the actors in Teen Movie were more attractive than those in the movies being parodied!

 

And of course an indignant Molly Ringwald cameo can only help😄

 

Quote

Damn.... I can't deny this one never really got a second look from me, but the parody angle couple with it being similar to original Metal Gear does have my interest piqued... as the last hold-out still maintaining that the best Metal Gear was the first one, I might be legally obligated to check UnMetal out! 😂

 

 

Congrats on the Plat, and nice write up m'dude! 👍

 

Thanks man! I remember you talking about not being a big fan of the franchise post-1990, this might could be a fun time for you! If you don't check it out though, don't worry... I ain't no snitch👊😎

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

Sold! You're yet to steer me wrong after all, but also I remember when I first got my hands those eight or so episodes of Police Squad! "Sergeant, take her away and book her!" "Ah yes, Sergeant Takeraway and Sergeant Booker." Also for some reason, Leslie Neilsen crashing his car into trash cans never got old🤣🤣🤣

 

😂 Man, those were so good.

 

"Thank you, you've been very helpful... we think we know how he did it."

"Oh, Howie couldn't have done it, he hasn't been in for weeks."

...

"Weeks?"

"Sol Weeks, he's the comptroller, Frank"

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #56: UnMetal

 

UnMetal can be a fairly tricky game at times, and doing my first playthrough on Hard definitely gave me a lot of moments where I felt stumped for a bit, but they never lasted terribly long. Tough but fair, I guess you could say. Plus, the trophy list is fairly forgiving, so nothing else comes to mind! You're not required to do a death-free speed run or anything like that, and everything is fairly self-explanatory, so completing the game in Hard mode is by default the roughest of the bunch.

 

Yooo so glad I finally got around to reading this. Honestly, when I started reading your review I kept thinking to myself: "this sounds so much like one I've seen a YouTube video about it ages ago..." and then when you actually mentioned Metal Gear it clicked! SuperBunnyHop did a review of it back in December of last year. My only hesitance in terms of playing it is this - I've NEVER played a Metal Gear game (shh don't tell anyone), do you think the humor would still land and it's playable on its own or does having foreknowledge of those games play too much into the enjoyment you think? Aside from that, I'd also like to congratulate - cracking the Top 5 of the fastest achievers list is a huge feat even if it has a relatively smaller playerbase!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

Yooo so glad I finally got around to reading this. Honestly, when I started reading your review I kept thinking to myself: "this sounds so much like one I've seen a YouTube video about it ages ago..." and then when you actually mentioned Metal Gear it clicked! SuperBunnyHop did a review of it back in December of last year.

 

Ayy thanks mah dude! I keep forgetting, so before typing this up I went to YouTube and subscribed real quick. You've mentioned this channel a few times now, I need to get with the program!

 

Quote

My only hesitance in terms of playing it is this - I've NEVER ****** a *************** (shh don't tell anyone), do you think the humor would still land and it's playable on its own or does having foreknowledge of those games play too much into the enjoyment you think?

 

liz-lemon-its-in-the-vault.gif

 

I definitely think it's still worth a go! It's like a good spoof movie in that while it does help to be familiar with the source material, it's not completely necessary as the jokes hold up on their own. It's just a funny game. I know you know your way around retro-styled games too, so I don't see why not!

 

Quote

Aside from that, I'd also like to congratulate - cracking the Top 5 of the fastest achievers list is a huge feat even if it has a relatively smaller playerbase!

 

Oh wow, dope! Thanks, man! You are sharp as a tack with that stuff. It is definitely a small playerbase, but I'm about that.

 

Well now you HAVE to play it, so you can try to rank higher! Sorry man, I don't make the rules, that's just how it is😏

 

EDIT: Yeah, his review was better🤣🤣🤣 he got waayy more in depth with the cons, I feel like every other thing he said I was like "damn, wish I'd thought of that!"

Edited by YaManSmevz
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Dude - love it!

 

Man, The Artful Escape is something else - you’re totally right… the gameplay on paper is so basic it barely warrants a mention… but holy cow do they turn it into something bat-shit awesome, delightfully ridiculous and psychedelically inspiring!

 

I never though of this when playing:

 

47 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

The whole arc of this story would make a great childrens' movie, the animation is so loud and fun, and the message underneath is so inspiring.

  
…but you’re right on the money - the game manages to hit the level of something like the better Pixar movies in terms of world-building and story, and could totally work as a family movie!

 

Hell, edit out some of the gameplay and add a few cinematic sweeps around, and it’s most of the way there already!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Damn it, on to the wishlist this one goes!

 

It's a pretty quick one, you could easily finish this in a day. Great for in between more demanding plays!

 

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude - love it!

 

Man, The Artful Escape is something else - you’re totally right… the gameplay on paper is so basic it barely warrants a mention… but holy cow do they turn it into something bat-shit awesome, delightfully ridiculous and psychedelically inspiring!

 

Thank you, sir! Yeah, gameplay is not at all the main draw, but it's still serviceable enough to come along for the ride without being to the game's detriment. Plus the world is so tremendously fun to run and jump around in😁

 

I have to give you credit for this one really, I wouldn't have known it existed if I hadn't read your write-up, so thank you, Doc👊

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Damn dude! You've been on a real tear lately with these reviews... and they've all been awesome, obviously! I'll start with the most recent one first!

 

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #9: MediEvil

 

Sleep with one eye open

1280x720.jpg

 

You know, this one is weird - because for the longest time I actually thought you'd reviewed this one already, it was only when I wrote my review and went to leave a link to yours that I realised you hadn't. So I basically created this weird false memory that I'd read your review of it, I think because you and I had talked about the game a whole lot before I actually played it.

 

Odd... Anyway! That was an awesome read, especially when it comes from someone who was very fond of the original. It helps give a great indicator that there's a good time to be had with the game.Let's be honest sometimes remakes just don't do it for fans of the original. 

 

It's great to read about how faithful it is, yet still stay true to that certain jankiness that comes part and parcel with those older PS1 titles. I'm glad that you clued people in on that, bringing up the fact the game is still enjoyable from a modern perspective. 

 

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Tremendously petty, but I always wished there was a chalice for that ant level. Every other time you need a chalice to get into the Hall of Heroes, but this time someone puts in a word for you instead.

 

I hadn't ever really thought about that! Great point I guess because I try to think about that level as little as possible 😂..... I did that when  I had some really terrible equipment, like as early as possible (because I'm stubborn haha) and figting that boss was a nightmare. It's such a great level though, and having never played the original MediEvil myself (affirming my point that I've ALWAYS played games in a weird order) I played MediEvil 2 first, when I saw what the faeries were I damn near laughed my arse off.

 

That review was a real treat dude!

 

On 11/06/2022 at 8:27 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #55: The Artful Escape

 

When the music hits, I feel no pain at all

theartfulescape-thumb-1631055825416.jpg

 

 

I've been interested in this one since Doc reviewed it, I wanna say late last year, but it could be early this year? Either way, it looked and sounded awesome. Was already sort of on the periphery of something I want to pick up soon! I think you've bumped it even higher up the priority list now! 😂

 

Now I've got even more reason to be excited about picking it up, as that's another person that had a fantastic time with it.

 

One paragraph in particular really jumped out at me - something tells me you won't be surprised which one.... and that's this:

 

On 11/06/2022 at 8:27 PM, YaManSmevz said:

This game speaks very strongly to the feeling some of us can get, that we're not doing what we want to be doing. Maybe we feel tethered to a decision we made before that isn't panning out how we thought, maybe there's just a vague sense of something being wrong and that we're unsure how to fix it. This game also, more importantly I'd argue, speaks to the feeling of overcoming that unpleasant sensation.

 

That sounds awesome, because that feeling really can be one of those terribly crippling reoccurring feelings that can just be quite difficult to escape from. So I'm equally glad that it explores the other side of it, and how truly liberating the other side of that is, well done Artful Escape, that's a hard thing to nail!

 

Nice to know that this one is a big improvement over 12 Minutes as well, I remember that one not quite resonating with you the way that you wanted it to, so it's great that this one actually did!

 

I'll say it once more - FANTASTIC REVIEWS DUDE!

Edited by rjkclarke
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

The humor and animation steal the show, but it isn't hard considering that the plot is very much just there, and doesn't really add a whole lot to the experience. It's like Ace Ventura 2 or something; if it wasn't so funny and so fun to look at, the story would wear thin pretty quickly. It feels like an afterthought, like the artists came up with these awesome designs, the writers came through with this great, zany sense of humor to go along with it... and then they needed to slap together a story real quick. It's for this reason that the game's brevity is a strong suit, there's not enough time for you to stop and think "wait, this doesn't make any sense."

 

That's a pretty good analogy - you're right, in some ways Stick it to the Man has the feeling like Ace Ventura 2 - of a comedy sequel, rather than an original - it feels like the characters and the world and tone were all there, designed and ready to go, and they just needed to stitch together a reason to bring them together!

It probably wouldn't work as well if those characters and humour didn't land, but they do consistently, so you never really care much that the plot os a bit shaky!

 

33 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

- I like how the X-Files' Cigarette Man was able to find work in the current millennium, he absolutely nails it as The Man. And who knew he had such impeccable comedic timing?

 

Ha- how did I not realise that was Bill Davis?!

 

That's awesome - think about it, you're right, that's perfect casting, and he hits the funny beats perfectly!

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ha- how did I not realise that was Bill Davis?!

 

That's awesome - think about it, you're right, that's perfect casting, and he hits the funny beats perfectly!

 

Oh no, that's not actually him!

 

Or if it was, I could very well shit myself in shock!

 

I just put that because the whole time his aura reminded me so intensely of that character, like a send-up of him or something. Damn, I should probably edit that... I was just being silly, the last thing I want to do is spread incorrect information😬😬😬

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

 

 

Oh no, that's not actually him!

 

Or if it was, I could very well shit myself in shock!

 

I just put that because the whole time his aura reminded me so intensely of that character, like a send-up of him or something. Damn, I should probably edit that... I was just being silly, the last thing I want to do is spread incorrect information1f62c.png1f62c.png1f62c.png

 

Oh, haha - well, you fooled me 😂

 

TBH, the idea of him doing it didn't seem ridiculous - I've recently been watching (the fairly lacklustre, inoffensive, but oddly watchable) Upload on Amazon, and Bill Davis is actually in that, doing a pretty decent comic turn as a Koch Brother type... so he does have some decent comedy chops when he chooses to use them!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2022 at 8:02 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #14: Stick It to the Man!

 

Even if some guy's trying to blackmail you, and your girlfriend thinks you suck

apps-25483-68667829291383540-d2b01426-f0

 

 

Yes!!!! That was an awesome read, not that I expected anything else obviously.

 

Putting off reading it ended up being quite funny in a way, as you and I said almost identical things about some aspects of it without any influence over the other, so that's kind of funny.

 

Something I'm really glad you highlighted, and I'm kicking myself I didn't, is the little enemy encounters that are in the game. Almost interesting discrete little mini-puzzles almost, that you can pretty much choose to tackle a few ways. For some reason I just left those out entirely so I'm glad that you mentioned those in a lot more detail (although any detail would have been more than I did :facepalm:😂).

 

On 15/06/2022 at 8:02 AM, YaManSmevz said:

This gameplay is perfectly passable puzzle platformer fare. It's a bit unresponsive here and there, but nothing terrible.

 

This is another thing that I kind of regret not discussing a little bit in my own review. It's in no way bad per se. It's just quite imprecise. I almost feel like the controls for Ray's arm a way more optimised for either a mouse or a motion controller, as I had a couple of issues here and there when reading minds of actually manoeuvring into a spot where I could float the cursor over the right brain to read.

 

On 15/06/2022 at 8:02 AM, YaManSmevz said:

This game is just so fucking funny. Hilarious lines are dropped left and right, like "I'm so bad at not dropping hammers on people, how did I even get this job??"

 

There's so many absolute zingers, it's tough to even think of mentioning them all. But one that almost made me spray a drink all over my wall from laughing was when you're in Ray's head, and his dad has an accident, and Ray innocently says something like " Yeah.... Dad was never quite right after that" so I read his mind afterwards and his Dad  just says something like "I MAKE A POOOOPIE" In the most ridiculous dullard voice, and for some reason it absolutely made me crease up!

 

 

On 13/06/2022 at 5:03 PM, YaManSmevz said:

very briefly considered fucking with your head and be like "yeah bro, I wrote that forever ago, this was just a re-write!" It's weird because when you wrote your review, I was thinking about makin a MediEvil post myself, but yours was so good that I knew mine needed a lil more time in the oven1f604.png Plus you have that love of Paul Darrow, so your heart was really in that one!

 

.....which is not to suggest that you don't put your heart into everything you write, as that clearly is not the case!

 

....okay I think it's best if I stop writing words now.

 

Haha! Yeah I would have been heading straight for confusion city on that one...

 

Thanks for the incredibly kind words though! It's something you and Doc have done to me in the past, written a review so good, or in some cases so similar to one I'd probably write. That I have to put off writing my own just so it doesn't seem like copying. So it's nice to return the favour to you two occasionallyxD You did it with Sleeping Dogs not too long ago as well, when I'd been kicking around the idea of reviewing that one. 😂

 

On 13/06/2022 at 5:03 PM, YaManSmevz said:

I'd like to think it's a universal gaming thing, but it's likely a stubborn person thing1f604.png I identify with this 100%. So many times I've gotten to a place in a game where I was clearly under leveled and lacking tools that would make it so much easier on me, yet I insisted on pushing through and figuring something out. Even though I could leave at any time! But yeah, all that to say I feel you on that one!

 

 

I think it's a stubborn person thing then haha - the annoying this is. it would sometimes have been quicker to progress the game,THEN come back and do the thing that we were stubbornly pushing on with 😂

 

On 13/06/2022 at 5:03 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Here's the spoken word bit, in case you're interested. It's by a rapper named Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire - not exactly someone you'd expect anything deep from, but yeah1f602.png

 

 

It just really spoke to me how Francis had this all built up in his head that he had to be a certain person, that nobody would accept who he really wanted to be, and that failure would be such a crushing thing. While there was a difficult path towards him claiming his true self, he proves that it's ultimately a feasible thing. It's powerful man, and for peeps like you and me, who aren't always sure of things like that, it's just a wonderful message. I really hope you play it.

 

I really liked that! That's absolutely not something you'd expect to hear at the end of a rap album, is something as thoughtful and reflective as that, but that was cool as shit. I'll have to keep that in my head whenever I play The Artful Escape. I definitely will, it's just a matter of when. 

 

Not to lower the tone too much...... but, erm, you know where he's squatting like that? I hope I'm not the only one that wondered where that rabbit appeared from xD

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Yes!!!! That was an awesome read, not that I expected anything else obviously.

 

Putting off reading it ended up being quite funny in a way, as you and I said almost identical things about some aspects of it without any influence over the other, so that's kind of funny.

 

Why thank you, sir! Yeah, I thought the same thing reading your (excellent) review. We really did pretty much have the same experience. Dope😎😎

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Something I'm really glad you highlighted, and I'm kicking myself I didn't, is the little enemy encounters that are in the game. Almost interesting discrete little mini-puzzles almost, that you can pretty much choose to tackle a few ways. For some reason I just left those out entirely so I'm glad that you mentioned those in a lot more detail (although any detail would have been more than I did :facepalm:1f602.png).

 

I actually wish I'd gone into even more detail! I liked the mini-puzzle type approach. "Okay, here's a cannon... wait, there's a flame! Okay, light the cannon... there's a target! Okay, move and then light the cannon..." the gameplay is littered with light brain teasers that reward paying attention to your surroundings. Which is already a treat as it is, given how awesome this game looks!

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

This is another thing that I kind of regret not discussing a little bit in my own review. It's in no way bad per se. It's just quite imprecise. I almost feel like the controls for Ray's arm a way more optimised for either a mouse or a motion controller, as I had a couple of issues here and there when reading minds of actually manoeuvring into a spot where I could float the cursor over the right brain to read.

 

YES!! You took the words right out of my mouth, it absolutely feels like it would control more smoothly with a mouse. As it stands, it's very jerky and there seemed to be a bit of a delay with jumps and stuff like that. Nothing game breaking or anything like that, just something you have to be mindful of as you play. Once you make the necessary adjustments it's usually fine, but you have to focus a bit more than would be ideal.

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

There's so many absolute zingers, it's tough to even think of mentioning them all. But one that almost made me spray a drink all over my wall from laughing was when you're in Ray's head, and his dad has an accident, and Ray innocently says something like " Yeah.... Dad was never quite right after that" so I read his mind afterwards and his Dad  just says something like "I MAKE A POOOOPIE" In the most ridiculous dullard voice, and for some reason it absolutely made me crease up!

 

Yo that was a classic "I'm smart, I'm smart, I'm sma-" POW!! "DUUUUUHHHHHH" gag, and they played it beautifully. That's another thing about the humor I failed to mention, the timing and delivery of these jokes is outstanding.

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Thanks for the incredibly kind words though! It's something you and Doc have done to me in the past, written a review so good, or in some cases so similar to one I'd probably write. That I have to put off writing my own just so it doesn't seem like copying. So it's nice to return the favour to you two occasionallyxD You did it with Sleeping Dogs not too long ago as well, when I'd been kicking around the idea of reviewing that one. 1f602.png

 

Thanks man! That's high praise if I do say so myself, so I'll take it😁 Gotta tell ya, I've been low key excited for a Clarkified write-up about Sleeping Dogs. In fact, you're the reason I even got up off my ass and played that game!! ...er, got back on my ass on the couch? ...got on the couch and put my ass into it? 

 

Ay, too many poorly chosen words in that paragraph. I'll stop while I'm not-so-ahead.

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

I really liked that! That's absolutely not something you'd expect to hear at the end of a rap album, is something as thoughtful and reflective as that, but that was cool as shit. I'll have to keep that in my head whenever I play The Artful Escape. I definitely will, it's just a matter of when. 

 

Yeah, especially considering the hook on the opening track of that album is basically him saying motherfucker a bunch of times🤣🤣🤣

 

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Artful Escape, I think it's a truly beautiful game.

 

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Not to lower the tone too much...... but, erm, you know where he's squatting like that? I hope I'm not the only one that wondered where that rabbit appeared from xD

 

Oh I wondered myself... it would certainly explain why he got such a big smile on his face!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hot damn, Smevz speaks again!

 

Love the review for Guacamelee!  You definitely gotta check out the sequel and report back.  I've been meaning to get to it forever, but instead I'll live vicariously through...tú.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Oh hot damn, Smevz speaks again!

 

Love the review for Guacamelee!  You definitely gotta check out the sequel and report back.  I've been meaning to get to it forever, but instead I'll live vicariously through...tú.

 

Thank you, dude! Whenever that happens I'll try to downplay it though, I know you're a busy man😂👊

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #58: Guacamelee!

-snip-

 

Awesome job Smev! This was a wonderful callback for me as the Guacamelee! games were some of the harder games I remember playing when initially branching out. It was nice to have a fresher with some of the mechanics and bosses as I honestly didn't write that much in 2019 and kinda lament I didn't properly convey my thoughts other than saying: "these games are good, I enjoyed them!". I played them in a really wacky order though. I beat the 2nd game 1st and THEN played the original a few months later. I'll warn you - I have ALWAYS believed that the 32% rarity platinum on the 2nd game is downright bizarre. The game is VERY challenging in my memory and even more so than many <10% platinums in my catalog. I don't know if it sold such few copies that only those who enjoyed the original bought it but it's something that I've always thought was strange after beating it. 

 

Aside from that, hope you're loving that Transistor. 👀 That game is gooooooooooorgeous 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, realm722 said:

 

Awesome job Smev! This was a wonderful callback for me as the Guacamelee! games were some of the harder games I remember playing when initially branching out. It was nice to have a fresher with some of the mechanics and bosses as I honestly didn't write that much in 2019 and kinda lament I didn't properly convey my thoughts other than saying: "these games are good, I enjoyed them!".

 

Thanks so much, my dude! I was definitely taken aback by some moments, but it was just so much fun. And I feel you, I think that's something everybody has here - I haven't even had my checklist for a year yet and I already look at my oldest write-ups like "ehhhhhh I really could've done better with that!"

 

At the same time though, watching progression is pretty dope. Your reviews are so big and vibrant, literally colorful, and bursting with your well-backed opinions, so thinking of you putting out quick ones like that is a trip to me. Have you ever considered re-visiting?

 

Quote

I'll warn you - I have ALWAYS believed that the 32% rarity platinum on the 2nd game is downright bizarre. The game is VERY challenging in my memory and even more so than many <10% platinums in my catalog. I don't know if it sold such few copies that only those who enjoyed the original bought it but it's something that I've always thought was strange after beating it. 

 

That's what I've heard! I guess they had the same thought as the Hotline Miami devs with that sequel, bein like "we didn't make it hard enough." It's in line for sure, but yeah I'm definitely prepping myself for a more difficult experience!

 

Quote

Aside from that, hope you're loving that Transistor. 1f440.png That game is gooooooooooorgeous 

 

I am, and it is!! It's funny cuz I don't think I appreciated how brilliant the function system is until the end of my first playthrough. That game is somethin else, man😎

Edited by YaManSmevz
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can safely say that Guacamelee is going to be a more difficult experience for you. 
 

Think about the precision and timing you had to do to earn that Tule Tree orb. Now picture yourself doing something like that several more times. That’s Guacamelee 2, particularly the later half. 
 

I won’t spoil the game for you.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I can safely say that Guacamelee is going to be a more difficult experience for you. 
 

Think about the precision and timing you had to do to earn that Tule Tree orb. Now picture yourself doing something like that several more times. That’s Guacamelee 2, particularly the later half. 

 

Oh I figured as much, it's widely considered to be more difficult. I fully anticipate both Guacamelee and Hotline Miami's sequels to give me a tremendous amount of grief!

 

Thanks for stoppin by, man😎

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.