Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

On 26/06/2022 at 0:33 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #58: Guacamelee!

Don't you worry 'bout a thing, mama

wp3602527.jpg

Ha Screw you Smevz! This one was already on my backlog...... wait, wait that sounded bad ?

I loved reading this though.... Pretty pumped to get to it myself now too. Especially after you told me it was on PS4, which for some reason I didn't realise that it was. 

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game.. I'm not going to lie, I did have a little worry in the back of my mind that the whole cultural appropriation thing might piss you off. So I'm glad that it didn't and that you had a great time regardless.

There is so much about this game that just screams "cool" you know? Like it almost just oozes out of even the cover image you've used. To see that the gameplay is one of the main event features is really awesome too!

But there are still some ehh moments... like I'm glad we have the option of a female protagonist, that shit is always good to see. But... she gotta be named Tostada?

I don't even know what a Tostada is, I didn't know it was a Taco Bell item... I'm an uncultured Englishman I guess? ?... To be honest, first thing I thought of when I read that was the bit in Bad Santa when he puts Baloney on some bread, puts some Salsa on it, and then is all "There you go kid, just like a Tostada" and Thurman Murman just looks completely nonplussed by it.

- I forgot to mention the dimension swapping - you go back and forth between the lands of the living and the dead, and they do a great job with this mechanic. One thing I really thought was dope was that the music dims a bit when you're in the dead world, sounding like you're underwater or something. Then you switch back to the live world and it's clear, crisp, and loud. That was a nice touch!

Oh man, that's cool! So a bit like in Soul Reaver then.... MUST RESIST URGE TO SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE LEGACY OF KAIN/ SOUL REAVER..... Can I interest you in my Electric Hammer? There we go I'm back to normal, no more Homer speaking about Thomas Edison for me today!

I love that little attention to detail where the pitch of the music alters when you change between dimensions, before I'd read all of that paragraph I was really hoping they'd go the extra mile to do something like that. That's awesome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Oh man, that's cool! So a bit like in Soul Reaver then.... MUST RESIST URGE TO SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE LEGACY OF KAIN/ SOUL REAVER..... Can I interest you in my Electric Hammer? There we go I'm back to normal, no more Homer speaking about Thomas Edison for me today!

Please make this game a re-release with trophy support. That’s a golden opportunity.

• Like 1

Ha Screw you Smevz! This one was already on my backlog...... wait, wait that sounded bad 1f602.png

I loved reading this though.... Pretty pumped to get to it myself now too. Especially after you told me it was on PS4, which for some reason I didn't realise that it was. 

The joke's on me???

Yeahmann, I totally think you should. You'd steamroll over it in no time and have a blast while doing it, I daresay! Also thanks, I'm glad you liked the read?

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game.. I'm not going to lie, I did have a little worry in the back of my mind that the whole cultural appropriation thing might piss you off. So I'm glad that it didn't and that you had a great time regardless.

Damn, I hope I don't give the impression of bein a super angry dude or anything! I didn't think I talked about stuff like that particularly often? There are certainly enough negative people in the world going on about what pisses them off, I don't wanna contribute to that!

I don't even know what a Tostada is, I didn't know it was a Taco Bell item... I'm an uncultured Englishman I guess? 1f602.png... To be honest, first thing I thought of when I read that was the bit in Bad Santa when he puts Baloney on some bread, puts some Salsa on it, and then is all "There you go kid, just like a Tostada" and Thurman Murman just looks completely nonplussed by it.

Oh trust.. nobody would ever call you uncultured for unfamiliarity with a Taco Bell menu! I actually lost a few culture points simply by making that reference???

And while they are delicious, I absolutely would never trust one made by Billy Bob Thornton. Even if he was playing the president or something, I still wouldn't risk it!

Yknow what? I say let Kaimas Soulreaverson have his PS1 classic with trophy support!!

I love that little attention to detail where the pitch of the music alters when you change between dimensions, before I'd read all of that paragraph I was really hoping they'd go the extra mile to do something like that. That's awesome!

I actually texted that to myself at one point while playing so I wouldn't forget to reference it. It's one of those things I know you would happily talk about if you were the one doing the writing!

• Like 1

@AJ_Radio It's very grindy. I really enjoy the game, don't get me wrong, but it's more about grinding for XP and for cards than anything else.

I've only got two of them under my belt so far, but I'm yet to see a trophy list better than 18's. It had a lil bit of everything and wasn't too easy but still required a bit of luck and patience. I heard 21 and 22 are a bit too easy, have you played either of those?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Damn, I hope I don't give the impression of bein a super angry dude or anything! I didn't think I talked about stuff like that particularly often1f62c.png There are certainly enough negative people in the world going on about what pisses them off, I don't wanna contribute to that!

Nope, never that man! Then I could say the same about myself, and I got offended by Black Mirror doing it (to a culture and subsection of the UK I don't belong to no less). Mind you that game deeply offended me on so many levels, why not add another reason to the list.

I just had a little worry it might hamper your experience a little bit, but as you can most likely tell by now... I worry ALL THE TIME ABOUT LITERALLY EVERYTHING :facepalm::lol:

The joke's on me1f62d.png1f62d.png1f62d.png

Yeahmann, I totally think you should. You'd steamroll over it in no time and have a blast while doing it, I daresay! Also thanks, I'm glad you liked the read1f601.png

I really liked the read! I'll have to get on Guacamelee, once I've y'know played a few other things that have been plaguing me for a while longer than they should have been. ?

And while they are delicious, I absolutely would never trust one made by Billy Bob Thornton. Even if he was playing the president or something, I still wouldn't risk it!

I'm incredibly fond of Billy Bob Thornton as an actor.... BUT... I don't think I'd eat anything at all that he'd made me. I mean the guy literally put himself in hospital for malnutrition from just eating potatoes, so I don't expect he probably throws the most exciting dinner parties variety wise.... even if there was a Tostada to try ?.

I actually texted that to myself at one point while playing so I wouldn't forget to reference it. It's one of those things I know you would happily talk about if you were the one doing the writing!

I definitely would have yeah! I absolutely love little things like that, such smart, yet small attentions to detail really can go a long way (for me at least) so I'm really glad you pointed something like that out. It really shows how much effort they put into nailing practically all of the elements of Guacamelee!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I just had a little worry it might hamper your experience a little bit, but as you can most likely tell by now... I worry ALL THE TIME ABOUT LITERALLY EVERYTHING :facepalm::lol:

Haha same, as evidenced by my previous question?

Bro when games make you mad I wanna fight them? you're always so patient and understanding when you reviewed even the most unpleasant of games, so when I read something like the Stranger Things reviews I'm like WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM??!

I really liked the read! I'll have to get on Guacamelee, once I've y'know played a few other things that have been plaguing me for a while longer than they should have been. 1f602.png

I think I'm slowly accepting that the backlog simply won't let up, that that is simply not in its nature.

Each game that we play

Sees the line behind it grow

It will never end

I definitely would have yeah! I absolutely love little things like that, such smart, yet small attentions to detail really can go a long way (for me at least) so I'm really glad you pointed something like that out. It really shows how much effort they put into nailing practically all of the elements of Guacamelee!

As much as I want you to play it for your own personal gain, the prospect of a Clarkian review is always an ulterior motive?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I think I'm slowly accepting that the backlog simply won't let up, that that is simply not in its nature.

Each game that we play

Sees the line behind it grow

It will never end

I try to think of it this way - once you were to run through your back log, what would be next?  Death?  No more playing videogames?

I used to get real bad FOMO about having an outrageously large backlog, but it really is what it is.  These little checklists help navigate through them and play!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

One thing alone gives this month a huge boost - at long last, I am retired from GTA V online. Doomsday is DONE. Elitist? Masterminds? ALL DEAD. All I've got left is gold medals for the story missions, and I'll be in a position a mere few months ago I thought impossible - with an S next to that game's name, and another write-up to get to. Life is good.

Congratu-fucking-lations on the GTA V online completion!  What a ride, eh?  That's such a monster completion, I'm very happy you got it done!

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:57 AM, rjkclarke said:

I'm incredibly fond of Billy Bob Thornton as an actor.... BUT... I don't think I'd eat anything at all that he'd made me. I mean the guy literally put himself in hospital for malnutrition from just eating potatoes, so I don't expect he probably throws the most exciting dinner parties variety wise.... even if there was a Tostada to try 1f602.png.

My first real exposure to Billy Bob Thornton was Bad Santa. You could rely on him to give you raunchy, crude humor. Doesn’t always work, but when done right I laugh out loud.

That was the norm of comedy movie making in the 2000s. Not sure what it’s like now. I stopped watching Hollywood movies several years ago so I’m way behind the times in regards to film making. 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

I try to think of it this way - once you were to run through your back log, what would be next?  Death?  No more playing videogames?

I used to get real bad FOMO about having an outrageously large backlog, but it really is what it is.  These little checklists help navigate through them and play!

It’s a life long thing really. Gone are the days where you went to Blockbuster or some rental store because online videos largely didn’t exist, you just simply wanted to try a game. 

I have 50 games on my backlog, and I’ve already concluded that I’ll probably never get them all 100% done. I don’t have the time like I used to. 

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Rating the Month

One thing alone gives this month a huge boost - at long last, I am retired from GTA V online. Doomsday is DONE. Elitist? Masterminds? ALL DEAD. All I've got left is gold medals for the story missions, and I'll be in a position a mere few months ago I thought impossible - with an S next to that game's name, and another write-up to get to. Life is good.

Very impressive. How was the stress and dedication?

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

I'm soooo happy and proud of you for smashing out those GTA V nightmares. Good for you mate 1f44a.png

18 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Congratu-fucking-lations on the GTA V online completion!  What a ride, eh?  That's such a monster completion, I'm very happy you got it done!

Aayyyy thanks y'all??

Yo it is most definitely a ride! Frankly I still can't believe I took care of those. Remember when you got it and I was like 'crap, now I gotta start thinkin about that?' Well here we are! Retirement is pretty sweet, man?

On 7/1/2022 at 11:19 PM, Heather342 said:

Man, the new Cuphead DLC is amazing! I'm still trying to dust off the old skills, and some of these new bosses are pretty hard. I absolutely love The Howling Aces, even though it's kicking my ass at the moment 1f601.png

Haha I'm a bit rusty myself. Also thanks to playing so much Guacamelee I found myself thinking 'wait, Cuphead ain't got a double jump? I coulda sworn....' hate gettin my games mixed up like that?

You're already doin a great job tearing through that, I hope to catch up to you soon!

15 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

My first real exposure to Billy Bob Thornton was Bad Santa. You could rely on him to give you raunchy, crude humor. Doesn’t always work, but when done right I laugh out loud.

That was the norm of comedy movie making in the 2000s. Not sure what it’s like now. I stopped watching Hollywood movies several years ago so I’m way behind the times in regards to film making. 

100%. I feel a lot of the time it's just your typical dick and fart jokes (that gag in Waiting unintentionally lampoons it perfectly, like "HEY, LOOK AT MY DICK!!") but when done smartly it can be hysterical. I'm pretty behind on that stuff as well, honestly.

It’s a life long thing really. Gone are the days where you went to Blockbuster or some rental store because online videos largely didn’t exist, you just simply wanted to try a game. 

bunker3.jpg?1473782381

Very impressive. How was the stress and dedication?

Thank you, sir! I was very fortunate and found a few fellas who really wanted it, and we just kinda got gud, as it were. By the end we knew all the tricks, where every enemy spawned, etc. Absolutely stressful, so many frantic "I DIED CLOSE OUT" moments, but so very worth it in the end!

14 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thank you, sir! I was very fortunate and found a few fellas who really wanted it, and we just kinda got gud, as it were. By the end we knew all the tricks, where every enemy spawned, etc. Absolutely stressful, so many frantic "I DIED CLOSE OUT" moments, but so very worth it in the end!

I don’t want to think about the time investment this must be.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Haha I'm a bit rusty myself. Also thanks to playing so much Guacamelee I found myself thinking 'wait, Cuphead ain't got a double jump? I coulda sworn....' hate gettin my games mixed up like that1f604.png

You're already doin a great job tearing through that, I hope to catch up to you soon!

As a surprise twist, Ms. Chalice does have a double jump now! But I am still getting mixed up between the double jump vs normal parry between Cuphead and Ms. Chalice, the whole dash parry thing confuses me when I'm so used to having smoke bomb and I am rubbish at that invincible roll ? I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually 

• Like 1

Honestly I just find this card collecting in MLB the Show 20 to be incredibly tedious. Furthermore, I don’t understand what is going on. 

Been playing on my alt, so it’s not on my main. I cannot blame you for leaving this game on the back burner for now.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:54 AM, YaManSmevz said:

It just has to be on here. I impulsively bought this thing days after it came out after watching some game play videos. It was over almost immediately, I had to have it. I grew up worshiping the Turtles, and hell nah I ain't gotta explain myself for shit. TURTLE POWER!!

Hell yeah, cowabunga! Looking forward to your thoughts on this one but heard it's a banger!

I gotta record myself screaming in as high pitched a voice as possible "SMEEEEVVVZZ!!!!" to get me off my ass and back into Spain. I disrespected Leon and friends last month, man! I get a pass, cuz I got a lot done, but come on. Let's get this did.

Hell yeah x 2! Come on man - "Let's get this did"! Could become your new catchphrase lol jokes RE4 is a great game, go for it!

Yes, we are already halfway through the year!

Argggh thanks for reminding me lol getting towards 66.6% completion for myself is taking a while haha

• Like 2

Hundo #15: SOMA

Overcome anxiety, I have no mouth and I must scream

1853838.jpg

It's about time I played something a lil scary!

I love horror, and with as mediocre as most pieces of media tackling this genre are, when something solid surfaces it truly is a treat. In SOMA you're Simon Jarrett, a car accident survivor with brain damage who's agreed to an experimental brain scan. And as I'm sure you can guess, the scan goes great, everybody's happy, and the game is over in about ten minutes. Yay!

The story starts out with this great Half Life-ish "everything is totally norma- AW SHIT NOPE THIS IS NOT NORMAL AT ALL WHAT IS HAPPENING" vibe that I really liked. The fear and dread sink in immediately, and as tired as the whole "however did you get here, hmmm?" trope is, I thought SOMA did it pretty well. As soon as things go sideways, we're greeted with this terrifying Dead Space-invoking atmosphere and left with no choice other than to figure out what's going on and what to do next. It's quite convincing too - I straight up felt brave every time I moved forward!

"Smevz, all you did was play a ga-"

No, please. No accolades are necessary, this is simply the type of thing that courageous people like me do on a regular basis.

"No, I mean that doesn't make yo-"

No, really! Thank you for the compliment but it's high time we moved on.

I know this isn't a game about transhumanism, but I thought it was cool to see that touched on in the game as well. The basic idea of having your consciousness uploaded to a computer is treated as something at reality's doorstep, and given the quick realization that you are officially a time traveler in this game, it makes sense and feels plausible. But while acknowledging what an incredible concept this is, it also confronts us with the fallacies of this idea, and I thought that was a dope thing to throw a dash of into this game.

Lastly, learning that you're on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean a hundred years into the future is a bit of a mindfuck, and makes traversing between stations all the more chilling. Outer space has long been the thing that freaks me out the most, what with its sheer enormity and endlessness, but to be at the bottom of the ocean?? I ain't thought about that one... thanks a lot, Frictional Games!

As far as gameplay is concerned, we're going by pretty basic walking simulator rules. You walk, crouch, run, jump, lean, and interact with your environment. You have a lot of interacting to do so I don't wanna just dismissively be like WALKSIM!! but that is largely what you'll be doing here.

Now... I take no pride in having not played this with Safe Mode, but I highly recommend playing the same way at least for a while, as the fear aspect is really strong in this game. While I certainly don't want to discourage (or worse, actively tell peeps how they should be playing their games), it gives a huge bump to the experience, and I feel this game really earns it. A lot of the monsters are genuinely frightening, and the first time you die is a truly unsettling experience. If the monsters catch you, that is. What happens when you get caught, you ask?

ac2beb2d-29a7-446a-9318-e3334bac8dca_tex

The ending, while hardly unpredictable, is still pretty affecting and I liked it a lot. A combat system would've been nice, but it add so much more to the fear factor so I can't be mad at it. Really, any fault this game has can be swept under the rug, as what SOMA does well makes up for it with ease. Not to mention that this thing is short as hell! If you're looking for something short and easy that can give you a good scare (I haven't been this unsettled since playing Manhunt), SOMA comes highly recommended.

Stray Observations

- The physics in the very beginning where you have to rummage through your apartment reminded me that I am absolutely not ready for Surgeon Simulator.

- "Take care of your gear, and don't be an asshole." Now that's a tutorial.

- I don't care what good may come of it, you don't walk up to some facehugger lookin thing and try to stick your finger in it, that's not cool! Though I would have loved to be a fly on the wall while somebody pitched this as the game's healing mechanism. "So when you need to restore HP, what I thi-" "Whatever Frank, I already got it. You see an alien AND YOU JUST FINGER FUCK IT, MAN!! HP RESTORED! That's it, I'll be home waiting for my check."

- The first round of robot monsters are interesting cuz as frightening as they are, they sound like a computer trying to clear its throat. It's kinda like Mike Tyson - sure we'll all have a laugh at the lisp, but you wouldn't dare say anything about it to his face!

- I liked that moment where necessary transport could only be accomplished by uh, less than ideal means. Kinda plays with your conscience a bit!

- Cool, a stun gun! Wow, this will be a huge help with keeping all these horrific monsters at bay. ...Oh, so we're just leaving it here? After the encounters we've had? Sure, that makes sense. Makes a lot of sense.

- I get that life as he knew it is long gone, and he's not even sure if he can survive in this one... but damn Simon, emo much??

- The monsters really are well done. Reminded me of Jurassic Park a few times, cuz a few of them you'll learn abide by T-Rex rules, which is how you get past them. And remember how scary it was when you realized that the velociraptors could open doors? Frictional Games remembers.

THAT Trophy: Stranded

Even without Safe Mode, this is still a pretty easy game. It's not without its annoying parts, though - in particular, there's a segment early in the game where you've got to frantically make it back through this sunken ship to its escape pod. No big deal on its own, but you've got a monster that will insta-kill you giving chase, and if you don't remember the exact path you took, then there's gonna be a lot of trial and error. Not the worst thing a game could do to you of course, but as far as this one goes I found it the only real spot of difficulty.

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 4

On 7/1/2022 at 8:54 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Salt and Sanctuary

Definitely a left field one for me! Sticking to games on the indie side for the Summer challenge and this has been chillin in the backlog for some time, and I've heard nothin but good things. Is this gonna convert me into a Soulsborne lunatic? Ehhh, probably not. But I'm expecting a good time nonetheless!

Cuphead

That's right, I've got a hard fought S to regain! Just like the base game, this was a rare first day purchase and I started playing around in Isle 4 immediately. It looks PHENOMENAL. It's gonna be hard as shit, I can already tell, but I just can't wait to get elbow deep back into this one!

Narrator: He died.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 0:25 PM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Smevz conquers all!  Great write up of GTA5 my dude, and MASSIVE respect for getting through that Doomsday Dogshit legit.  Whenever they make GTA6 I'll be wary about what kind of abominations Rockstar includes in the inevitable Online portion.

Thanks homie! Again, if you hadn't muscled your way through this one, I may never have found the determination to go for completion myself. You deserve a whole other thanks just for that!

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Very impressive man. Anybody who has GTA V 100% on either the PS4 or PS4 gets respect from me. 

It’s deserving of a big round of applause.

Hey thanks a lot man, I really appreciate that! You more than know your way around difficult trophy lists, so that means a lot?