Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #72: Bastion

It's the one and only, the world's greatest, the Kid

Nice! ?

Congrats on the plat m'dude, and glad you liked this one - a great read!

This mechanic along with the isometric approach and sophisticated pixelation of the characters made me think of seeing the fall of Zeal from Chrono Trigger in real time. 

YES!!

Man, that never occurred to me, but that's probably the best analogy for how the whole game feels - this idea that the world that crumbled was so advanced and utopian, and the confusion and "what now" sadness of all the characters reflects that - it's hubristic, and sad and even a little pathos inducing. It makes you kind of want to see what it was like before the calamity... yet the destruction looks so weird and cool anyways, that you then forget that!

I'm still beside myself that this is over a decade old! Pyre just got a huge jump up the backlog man... Supergiant remains undefeated1f60e.png

Noice - It's funny you say you feel in the minority liking Bastion over Transistor - I kind of feel like that probably is a minority opinion now, but oddly, for a long time, I'd say it was the opposite. Transistor seemed to be one that had to grow on people a little - whereas Bastion was a completely beloved game right from the start. I suppose some of that was also people maybe not seeing Transistor for what it was, and wishing it was a Bastion 2... before Supergiant had really established their "one and done" credentials.

I'll be very interested in where you rank Pyre in their list actually - personally, it's my no.2 below Transistor, but it's certainly their most divisive game - I've seen a lot of folks who loved Hades, Bastion and Transistor be more "meh" on Pyre... so I'm curious which camp you'll fall in!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Heather342 said:

Don't forget to add Hades to that backlog pile as well, another fantastic game by Supergiant ?

Yeah, once I finish Pyre I suspect I'll be keeping an eye on any sales that one might be in?

9 hours ago, Heather342 said:

I loved Bastion when I played it earlier this year, I actually split my play time between the PS4 and the Vita, made huge use of that cross save feature ?. It ran really well on the handheld, I finished off a few of those idol runs in who knows where on the Vita version. Really good to hear that you enjoyed your time with this game too

It has a cross save feature?? That's so cool!

Well, not that it benefits me in any way, I don't have a Vita, but it's still cool that it's there?

Yeah dude, I really dug this one a lot. I could be a full fledged Supergiant fanboy before I know it!

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice! ?

Congrats on the plat m'dude, and glad you liked this one - a great read!

Thanks dude?

YES!!

Man, that never occurred to me, but that's probably the best analogy for how the whole game feels - this idea that the world that crumbled was so advanced and utopian, and the confusion and "what now" sadness of all the characters reflects that - it's hubristic, and sad and even a little pathos inducing. It makes you kind of want to see what it was like before the calamity... yet the destruction looks so weird and cool anyways, that you then forget that!

Exactly! The world is in ruins, and it still looks so beautiful - hell, the GROUND even looks nice! Plus all the fancy distilled spirits looked like intergalactic tiki cocktails or some shit, it just felt like they were really livin a good life til it all went to shit. It wasn't til I really started dwelling on the fact that everything's up in the air that I was like "wait a minute..."

I'll be very interested in where you rank Pyre in their list actually - personally, it's my no.2 below Transistor, but it's certainly their most divisive game - I've seen a lot of folks who loved Hades, Bastion and Transistor be more "meh" on Pyre... so I'm curious which camp you'll fall in!

Same! I still remember first reading your Pyre review, and the wildly different games you used for reference (namely NBA Jam, that what had me like whaaaaaaat?), frankly it's been on the list ever since. Now that the first two Supergiant games are down, that one's probably right around the corner!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

As touched on before, Uncharted on Brutal is a famously unpleasant way to spend your time. Full disclosure, I took advantage of the glitch with the infinite ammo and one shot kills, and even still this felt like such a monstrous undertaking (those can't help you on the jeep or boating sequences, for instance). Whenever I get to U2, I'm definitely saving this one for last?

Oh man, great write up.  I've been putting off cleaning up all the Uncharted games for this very reason.  Glad to know that the glitches are still valid ways to get through the Brutal runs, but they won't be cakewalks!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Oh man, great write up.  I've been putting off cleaning up all the Uncharted games for this very reason.  Glad to know that the glitches are still valid ways to get through the Brutal runs, but they won't be cakewalks!

Thanks dude!

Personally I thought Crushing was perfectly fine for a hard as balls difficulty - it kicked my ass, but I never felt like it was cheap or anything (except that damn jeep, I will always be salty about that stupid chapter). Brutal runs are truly a thing of misery, but you're more than capable of taking care of that shit?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum Vice's incredible Uncharted epic instead of this (in fact if you haven't yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING, GOOO!!)

Well, aren't you just a little gem? You're a little bit... a little bit of a sweetiepie. A little bit of a cutiepie.

And you smell good.

Hey for real - this is probably one of my favourite reviews from you for a while, and I think that speaks volumes considering your checklist game has been so lit lately that it's a genuinely great time whenever you put something up. I don't know whether you feel that yourself or whether I'm just vibing but on the whole you've been better than ever lately. ?

Anyway: Uncharted.

I keep trying to quote you but every time I do it I seems like I'm just quoting the whole review and saying "yeah 100% agree homie" so I guess I'll just sum it up and say that we're in synch about the gameplay, story, Brutal difficulty and how much of a manchild Drake is. 

The thought of someone overfilling a pint with too much beer and of Drake using his own guide Powerpyx-style to solve basic puzzles made me chuckle. 

I hope you do play the others in the series. I'd recommend doing 2 and 3 together and then finishing them with back to back Brutal modes. If I remember correctly, I did speedrun and brutal playthroughs as a trilogy instead of on a game-by-game basis and that worked for me. 

Maybe do U4 and Lost Legacy another time to prevent burnout? I'm adamant in believing that they're the best in the series so I'd hate to see you go in without a hunger to enjoy them.

Re: Bastion and Lair of the Clockwork God: pushed up the priority list... they thank you. One day...

I think, though, that my October will instead feature MLB 22. Any tips?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billie__227 said:

Oh man, fuck Brutal difficulty! Lmao I lost count of the number of times I had to replay the jeep chapter. 

Duuuude no lie!! That jeep chapter is the absolute worst... I lost track of my deaths too, and I remember finally getting out of the jungle and being like "wait... WHY IS THIS STILL GOING??"

Ugh. Never again!!?

6 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Well, aren't you just a little gem? You're a little bit... a little bit of a sweetiepie. A little bit of a cutiepie.

And you smell good.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9528d057a44ec167eb94

5 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Hey for real - this is probably one of my favourite reviews from you for a while, and I think that speaks volumes considering your checklist game has been so lit lately that it's a genuinely great time whenever you put something up. I don't know whether you feel that yourself or whether I'm just vibing but on the whole you've been better than ever lately. 1f44a.png

Ayy thanks a lot homie, I really appreciate that!

I made a goal for this month to update three times a week, frankly I'm surprised that I'm happy with a decent percent of the shit I been writing?

The thought of someone overfilling a pint with too much beer and of Drake using his own guide Powerpyx-style to solve basic puzzles made me chuckle. 

I just picture him showing Elena the guide he was using and being like "Look at that ASCII art!! It says 'Uncharted!!' Isn't that something??"

I hope you do play the others in the series. I'd recommend doing 2 and 3 together and then finishing them with back to back Brutal modes. If I remember correctly, I did speedrun and brutal playthroughs as a trilogy instead of on a game-by-game basis and that worked for me. 

Maybe do U4 and Lost Legacy another time to prevent burnout? I'm adamant in believing that they're the best in the series so I'd hate to see you go in without a hunger to enjoy them.

That's really good advice, thank you! Also that way I could have both of them complete around the same time and be done with the trilogy. I would definitely do the speedruns before Brutal runs though, those seriously derail any possible enjoyment?

When I got my PS4 U4 was one of the physical games I bought with it, so that's always gonna be on the docket? I would most likely take another break in between. Also whenever I see U4 in somebody's profile it's almost always around 90% or so, even if the trilogy is S'ed. Why is that?

Should I be scared?

Re: Bastion and Lair of the Clockwork God: pushed up the priority list... they thank you. One day...

I think, though, that my October will instead feature MLB 22. Any tips?

Bro yes!! They're both really good and don't take much time at all. Bastion especially blew me away, in fact whenever you get around to Supergiant games I suspect you'll be quite pleased?

Hell yeah! I'm considering getting that one as well, though it depends on how quickly I can get through The Show 21? I don't have anything you probably don't already know, honestly. I'm an atrocious batter so I always try to wait til the last possible moment to take a swing, lest I throw the bat around at damn near everything. That's probably all I got?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

frankly I'm surprised that I'm happy with a decent percent of the shit I been writing1f602.png

Well I like it. Sue me.

19 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Also whenever I see U4 in somebody's profile it's almost always around 90% or so, even if the trilogy is S'ed. Why is that?

Should I be scared?

There's a wave defence mode for DLC. Apparently you have to "3 star" (or equivalent) all the maps on the hardest difficulty. 

I never tried it... just carried on with whatever else I had to play instead. The general distaste for the unfairness of it was clear on this forum so I didn't even try it.

22 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hell yeah! I'm considering getting that one as well, though it depends on how quickly I can get through The Show 211f604.png I don't have anything you probably don't already know, honestly. I'm an atrocious batter so I always try to wait til the last possible moment to take a swing, lest I throw the bat around at damn near everything. That's probably all I got1f604.png

OK I'll try to remember that. I think I played 19 for about 5 minutes but the last MLB game that I had was a PSP port... circa 2008ish? Yikes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Well I like it. Sue me.

5487582.jpg

There's a wave defence mode for DLC. Apparently you have to "3 star" (or equivalent) all the maps on the hardest difficulty. 

I never tried it... just carried on with whatever else I had to play instead. The general distaste for the unfairness of it was clear on this forum so I didn't even try it.

That actually does sound pretty unpleasant?

OK I'll try to remember that. I think I played 19 for about 5 minutes but the last MLB game that I had was a PSP port... circa 2008ish? Yikes.

You're in for a treat, dude? I love baseball games, and The Show is just so fun and immersive. As a series it's definitely grown complacent but I mean good is still good?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

When I got my PS4 U4 was one of the physical games I bought with it, so that's always gonna be on the docket1f604.png I would most likely take another break in between. Also whenever I see U4 in somebody's profile it's almost always around 90% or so, even if the trilogy is S'ed. Why is that?

Should I be scared?

@Platinum_Vice said it, but let me expand - it’s a wave defense mode absolutely dependent on micro-transactions.  The trophies that break the S-rank are for besting all the stages on Crushing under a certain time limit.  You can’t brute force it by being good - you need upgrades that can only be had by engaging in the leveling mechanics.

Get a carry for it.  If you have Facebook there is a group on there who run people through those two trophies for fun.  Took two sessions of an hour each to do it with their help.

Otherwise, the guides say it’s about 70 hours to do it yourself ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #2: What Remains of Edith Finch

You were right about the end, it didn't make a difference

L5f264e.png

Noice!

Sweet write up as always - for a game I loved!

I gotta point out...

Yo Milton's flip book is looooooong. I remember making those as a kid and they would never go longer than five or ten seconds, his just kept on goin.

Dang right it is... because it's filling in the gap between The Unfinished Swan and Edith Finch!

If you've not played TUS, you totally should, as that whole Milton part will make much more sense!

- This is likely because my head can be a somewhat twisted place, but I think hopeful bummer endings are the best, and they really deliver here!

THAT Trophy: G-R-E-G-O-R-Y

As is often the case with chill games like this, the trophy getting the nod is not hard to get at all. For whatever reason though, I got a weird anxiety with this one, bein like "Aw crap, I'm gonna run out of time, THE LETTERS AREN'T COMING OFF OH SHIT" only to finish the task with ease and have plenty of time left over. Very silly, I know1f633.png

Oh man... Gregory. ?

Negligent parents aside, his story does make one wonder...

...in popular fiction, where you get people with telekinetic powers... how did they (or, for that matter, anyone around them) ever survive past their infant phase?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Noice!

Sweet write up as always - for a game I loved!

I gotta point out...

Dang right it is... because it's filling in the gap between The Unfinished Swan and Edith Finch!

If you've not played TUS, you totally should, as that whole Milton part will make much more sense!

Thanks homie?

Yeah I really liked this one.. and I think you just gave me the first push I needed to pick up The Unfinished Swan, I've been thinking about that one for a long while now!

27 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man... Gregory. 1f613.png

Negligent parents aside, his story does make one wonder...

...in popular fiction, where you get people with telekinetic powers... how did they (or, for that matter, anyone around them) ever survive past their infant phase?

No kidding! The mom there was lucky the frog didn't go straight into her face. Keeping a baby alive is already such a stressful job, I can only imagine how much that stress multiplies once you start seeing random shit flying everywhere!

I wonder that about Cyclops sometimes, like how many sets of parents did he accidentally disintegrate as a child before he got the hang of keeping those lasers in check?

On 9/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

@Platinum_Vice said it, but let me expand - it’s a wave defense mode absolutely dependent on micro-transactions.  The trophies that break the S-rank are for besting all the stages on Crushing under a certain time limit.  You can’t brute force it by being good - you need upgrades that can only be had by engaging in the leveling mechanics.

Get a carry for it.  If you have Facebook there is a group on there who run people through those two trophies for fun.  Took two sessions of an hour each to do it with their help.

Otherwise, the guides say it’s about 70 hours to do it yourself 1f628.png

My bad dude, I completely forgot to reply to this? That sounds like hell! Thanks for the tip on the Facebook group, I definitely keep that in mind if I ever get around to U4.

It's funny though, cuz while 70 hours seems awful, that's probably not far off from how long it took when we were going for the Doomsday trophies?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 8:26 AM, YaManSmevz said:

It's funny though, cuz while 70 hours seems awful, that's probably not far off from how long it took when we were going for the Doomsday trophies1f604.png

Hah!  I would much rather work on Uncharted Survival (solo) than Doomsday, to be completely honest!

I'm not sure if ND will ever shut the servers down, but they did just remaster UC4 for PS5 without the multi...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Hey, you remember all that Chicago business a while back? Well there was something I forgot to mention - the famous highway Route 66 starts there, right across the street from the wonderful Art Institute of Chicago:

IMG-4448.jpg

Care to guess where it ends?

20220813-183524.jpg

Route 66 probably doesn't get much attention these days. This was one of the oldie songs that Nat King Cole performed. Before you ask, I'm a history buff who knows a good deal of Hollywood history.

You learn something new every day, because I never knew it ended at Santa Monica.

Traveling Witcha Man Smevz #2: Los Angeles

20220813-170258.jpg

I spent four and a half separate days revisiting areas and trying to optimize a theoretical week-long stay for someone who wouldn't know their way around, and I think I did an okay job. I've narrowed the focus to three main areas - Hollywood, Downtown, and Santa Monica - each with nearby neighborhoods that are at best walkable and at worst a short Uber ride.

It is still more than one would likely do, though! Fair warning, there's a lot here, and if the travel stuff ain't your thing and you're like "enough of this, get back to posting the mid ass video game write-ups," no hard feelings at all, I completely understand! Seriously, this one's gonna be super long so no judgements for skimming or scrolling past entirely, I promise?

Dude, I'm fucking jealous. While I bitch about Los Angeles a great deal for creating a culture that's well.... not the most healthy in the long term, I still want to see it. Been there a number of times, but only as a kid.

Transportation

20220808-143004.jpg

Damn... well, we're off to a bad start.

I'm not a huge fan of LAX, and this has only grown since I've learned how good other major cities are at connecting their metro areas with their airports. Sadly you're kinda stuck hopping on a bus, getting a taxi, or using a ride share app. LAX's actual website has tips for getting to and from the airport, and the second usable option they suggest is literally to be picked up or dropped off by family/friends. Basically they're like "ehh you got this, right?"

Unless you're heading out to Disneyland or something, I would suggest against renting a car. Los Angeles' traffic is as bad as advertised, and parking can be quite unpleasant - those poles holding up to four different signs with different days and hours still make me feel like I'm doing calculus in my head for a second.

I actually thought about taking a picture and I suddenly wish I had. Instead, here's one I stole from the internet:

old-parking-signs-2_custom-1f9708bd8933d

I'm sure Los Angeles ranks #1 in the worst traffic in America. Not sure if New York City counts since a lot of people just walk or take a Taxi, or an Uber if we want to get more modern.

You remember one of the early scenes in Rush Hour 1 where the Chinese girl that Jackie Chan is supposed to find and protect gets stuck in traffic? That's Los Angeles traffic, and even back then in 1998, it was already looking pretty bad.

LA is pretty well behind when it comes to mass transportation, something that Chicago and NYC beat by a country mile. I don't recall if that subway really got anywhere. I just remember it was in the film Speed, one of Keanu Reeves earlier roles before he hit it big with The Matrix.

Hollywood

20220825-134754.jpg

In my effort to play the tourist (I'd say I went undercover but literally nobody would've known the difference) I got reacquainted with the circus part of Hollywood Boulevard revolving around the TCL Chinese and Dolby theatres. It is fun to walk around, try to see which stars on the Walk of Fame you know, and catch a glimpse of the Hollywood sign from the back of that big ass shopping mall they got there.

However, I still say it's best to avoid the tacky gift shops, the aggressive street performers, and those silly tours you'll find there. Universal Studios (and functioning film studios like Paramount and Warner Brothers) will give you an infinitely more interesting tour, all of which I can highly recommend. Plus, Universal's got Springfield USA, which as a lifelong Simpsons diehard I am obligated to push.

The most famous and iconic sign in the world.

Do they even have room to put more stars on the Walk of Fame?

20220825-111524.jpg

Starting to look a little run down. The buildings are still nice and detailed, but they're lookin a lil dirty. They look like they haven't changed since the 70s or something. One more block down 6th:

20220825-111800.jpg

No more nice looking buildings, everything is looking kinda cheap. Another block down from here and Skid Row is in full swing. I briefly considered taking a picture of the next block, but quickly decided against it, as it felt exploitative and immoral. It is a very sad, very frightening place, and trust me when I say that unless you're volunteering for a shelter or something, you do NOT want to be there.

These are pretty old buildings. These were the type of buildings you saw in LA Noire while you were driving around collecting those stupid film reels for a trophy. There's no doubt in my mind that these buildings were in many, many old time Hollywood movies from the Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Orson Welles era.

I just hope you guys down in Southern California aren't experiencing the utter shithole that Portland, Oregon has become. Now that is a real hellscape. Fucking despicable that Portland turned into the way it is now. At least you guys in Los Angeles actually have real culture and business that the average person can appreciate and enjoy.

Echo Park and Silver Lake are a total hipster mecca, with tons of cool shops, bars, and the beautiful Echo Park Lake. Renting a pedal boat is touristy af but we still do it from time to time, it's great dumb fun! There are hidden staircases all throughout the city, but my two favorites are in this area - the Micheltorena Heart Stairs has that dope paintjob and the Baxter Street Stairs has a ridiculously good view of the city. As for watering holes, Tiki-Ti is an amazing tiki bar with dangerously tasty drinks (but tiny, so get there early cuz it gets packed) and the Short Stop is the place to stop before a Dodger game. Oh yeah, Dodger Stadium is here too! Now that place got skyline views, man...

Dodgers are absolutely killing it this year. Best record in the MLB right now. Freddie Freeman is having perhaps his best year in his career.

I'm surprised you haven't posted a review on MLB the Show 20, since you did it fairly recently.

20220816-191600.jpg

And maybe rent a bike and ride over to Venice, check out the Muscle Beach and skate park?

The real life Venice Beach from Grand Theft Auto V. Seeing the joggers reminds me when you're jogging against that angry, pompous Caucasian lady that tries to win against you in a track race. There's three side missions tied to her playing as Michael, Trevor and Franklin, but you only need Franklin's side mission done for the 100%.

Still haven't done it, because GTA V is too fucking long of a game.

• Like 1

Dude, I'm fucking jealous. While I bitch about Los Angeles a great deal for creating a culture that's well.... not the most healthy in the long term, I still want to see it. Been there a number of times, but only as a kid.

You should!

I can't say I agree with that sentiment. Sure, there is a lot of pretentiousness, and douchey mustaches, and dog-themed businesses with dumb names like "The Barking Lot," but the way that so many different cultures are able to exist in harmony and respect one another here is something that I will always have love for.

I'm sure Los Angeles ranks #1 in the worst traffic in America. Not sure if New York City counts since a lot of people just walk or take a Taxi, or an Uber if we want to get more modern.

You remember one of the early scenes in Rush Hour 1 where the Chinese girl that Jackie Chan is supposed to find and protect gets stuck in traffic? That's Los Angeles traffic, and even back then in 1998, it was already looking pretty bad.

New York City is regularly number one in traffic, but I mean with so many people there it can't be helped. It's definitely 2nd or 3rd though, the traffic here is atrocious and only gets worse.

Haha yup, Jackie Chan knows?

LA is pretty well behind when it comes to mass transportation, something that Chicago and NYC beat by a country mile. I don't recall if that subway really got anywhere. I just remember it was in the film Speed, one of Keanu Reeves earlier roles before he hit it big with The Matrix.

They're making strides with the subway, but I'd be shocked if it ever expanded a great deal. There's like four lines, they cover a decent amount of ground but I've only tried it out once. I definitely don't expect it to catch up with Chicago or New York, I'm sorry to say!

Do they even have room to put more stars on the Walk of Fame?

These are pretty old buildings. These were the type of buildings you saw in LA Noire while you were driving around collecting those stupid film reels for a trophy. There's no doubt in my mind that these buildings were in many, many old time Hollywood movies from the Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Orson Welles era.

Oh yeah, they got plenty of room. It started on Hollywood Boulevard but they've expanded it onto cross streets as well. As I recall, the Beatles have their star a bit off the beaten path in front of the Capitol Records building a full block north.

Oh absolutely. They were once the nice part of downtown, but then Skid Row was in full swing a neighborhood over and the city decided it was easier to build new skyscrapers a little further down instead of maintain those older buildings and do something about the homeless problem. That's part of why I like LA Noire so much, seeing how those buildings used to look back in the day. Not so much the film reels though?

I just hope you guys down in Southern California aren't experiencing the utter shithole that Portland, Oregon has become. Now that is a real hellscape. Fucking despicable that Portland turned into the way it is now. At least you guys in Los Angeles actually have real culture and business that the average person can appreciate and enjoy.

You'd know better than I would, I've only been to Portland once and I was blown away by the homelessness there, had no idea it was so bad. Went in 2018 I believe, so I can only imagine how much worse it's gotten.

Dodgers are absolutely killing it this year. Best record in the MLB right now. Freddie Freeman is having perhaps his best year in his career.

I'm surprised you haven't posted a review on MLB the Show 20, since you did it fairly recently.

Yessir! I've just got my fingers crossed that they can make it happen this year. Freddie was a huge get man, us Dodger fans are very happy to have him. The "Freddie, Freddie!" chants at Dodger Stadium are great?

I was thinking about putting all the MLB games into one write-up, because once I've written about one I can't see myself having a huge amount to say about the next, or the one after that, or the one after that.

The real life Venice Beach from Grand Theft Auto V. Seeing the joggers reminds me when you're jogging against that angry, pompous Caucasian lady that tries to win against you in a track race. There's three side missions tied to her playing as Michael, Trevor and Franklin, but you only need Franklin's side mission done for the 100%.

Still haven't done it, because GTA V is too fucking long of a game.

Hah! She cracked me up.

GTA V is definitely long, but such a satisfying completion. For as much as I've played that game and consider myself retired, I still slap that on from time to time!

Edited by YaManSmevz
My auto correct is garbage
  • Like 3

On 9/29/2022 at 10:34 AM, YaManSmevz said:

You should!

I can't say I agree with that sentiment. Sure, there is a lot of pretentiousness, and douchey mustaches, and dog-themed businesses with dumb names like "The Barking Lot," but the way that so many different cultures are able to exist in harmony and respect one another here is something that I will always have love for.

I’m a thousand miles away, so it would have to be for a pretty good reason. 

I’ve been to Anaheim more times than LA. Also been to Long Beach, and San Diego. 

Referring to Hollywood culture by the way, but if you ignore that culture, Los Angeles culture is actually decent. 

New York City is regularly number one in traffic, but I mean with so many people there it can't be helped. It's definitely 2nd or 3rd though, the traffic here is atrocious and only gets worse.

Haha yup, Jackie Chan knows1f604.png

I agree, but many people in New York City take taxis, Uber or the subway stations. Some people just walk. Los Angeles doesn’t have that luxury, since it was made with the car in mind and that set of thinking dates back to a century ago. It was one of the first cities on the west coast apart from San Francisco that got a mass amount of cars, and LA quickly became the #1 most populous city on this side, largely due to the weather and the farming agriculture. 

Seattle is actually up there as one of the worst in traffic, and I live not far from the city.

Oh yeah, they got plenty of room. It started on Hollywood Boulevard but they've expanded it onto cross streets as well. As I recall, the Beatles have their star a bit off the beaten path in front of the Capitol Records building a full block north.

Oh absolutely. They were once the nice part of downtown, but then Skid Row was in full swing a neighborhood over and the city decided it was easier to build new skyscrapers a little further down instead of maintain those older buildings and do something about the homeless problem. That's part of why I like LA Noire so much, seeing how those buildings used to look back in the day. Not so much the film reels though?

How many visitors come over to your joint yearly to see these landmarks, including the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Or awe at just seeing that legendary Hollywood sign?

Those old stars from generations past are long gone, but they left enough of an impact to where people still talk about them. There’s a YouTube channel I watch called Visiting Gravesites With Steve. I hate gravesites, no matter who died at them, but Steve actually manages to be a little entertaining while providing info on said dead celebrity. 

We need another LA Noire, but sadly the people in charge of the industry will claim it won’t make enough profit and/or is too risky. 

The film reels were awful. Funny enough, that was how I discovered some of those old stars. 

You'd know better than I would, I've only been to Portland once and I was blown away by the homelessness there, had no idea it was so bad. Went in 2018 I believe, so I can only imagine how much worse it's gotten.

Until there is an actual city council and a proper police force, Portland will continue to get worse. 

Don’t bother coming to this city.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #22: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Very late to the party with this response, but great review of Uncharted! Very fair and yeah I didn't bother with the Brutal difficulty. Left that one alone, thank you very much lol Definitely worth a playthrough for any Playstation or Indiana Jones fan, and think it started off a great series personally! (Not that everyone will agree with me lol)

Also, going to check out Platinum Vice's Uncharted epic right now! Cheers!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Very late to the party with this response, but great review of Uncharted! Very fair and yeah I didn't bother with the Brutal difficulty. Left that one alone, thank you very much lol Definitely worth a playthrough for any Playstation or Indiana Jones fan, and think it started off a great series personally! (Not that everyone will agree with me lol)

Also, going to check out Platinum Vice's Uncharted epic right now! Cheers!

Ayyy thanks my dude! You're better off for neglecting Brutal, I can honestly say that you made the better decision there??

I saw!! That's great man, it deserves every view and like it gets.

15 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m a thousand miles away, so it would have to be for a pretty good reason. 

Personally travel itself was enough reason for me to go to a lot of the places I've been to, but I understand that's not a mindset for everybody.

Referring to Hollywood culture by the way, but if you ignore that culture, Los Angeles culture is actually decent. 

I've never known reference to "Hollywood culture" to be anything other than code for dislike of left wing politics. Which is fine of course, you do you - but that's not a conversation I'm at all interested in having here.

I agree, but many people in New York City take taxis, Uber or the subway stations. Some people just walk. Los Angeles doesn’t have that luxury, since it was made with the car in mind and that set of thinking dates back to a century ago. It was one of the first cities on the west coast apart from San Francisco that got a mass amount of cars, and LA quickly became the #1 most populous city on this side, largely due to the weather and the farming agriculture. 

New York's high percentage of subway riders and walking pedestrians does not negate the city's traffic statistics, and as for taxis and Uber, by their very nature they contribute to traffic. So I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here.

The Los Angeles area, automobile-centric as it may be, has many pockets that are dominated by walking pedestrians - Downtown, Hollywood, and the beach cities primarily. This, by the same token, has no effect on what traffic statistics actually are.

How many visitors come over to your joint yearly to see these landmarks, including the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Or awe at just seeing that legendary Hollywood sign?

More than my feeble brain could calculate. Hell, walking down Hollywood Boulevard on any given day I'll hear more different languages than I could calculate. Issalot!

Those old stars from generations past are long gone, but they left enough of an impact to where people still talk about them. There’s a YouTube channel I watch called Visiting Gravesites With Steve. I hate gravesites, no matter who died at them, but Steve actually manages to be a little entertaining while providing info on said dead celebrity. 

We need another LA Noire, but sadly the people in charge of the industry will claim it won’t make enough profit and/or is too risky. 

That's dope, dude. Funny you mention gravesites, one of the last days we were in Seattle I had to choose between Bruce Lee's gravesite and Kurt Cobain's house. It was a no brainer for me as a lifelong Nirvana die-hard, but I couldn't help feeling I missed out. I don't know your feelings on your neighboring major city, but I've always been a huge fan.

I am 100% with you on both counts, I would LOVE another LA Noire but it's not very likely.

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I've never known reference to "Hollywood culture" to be anything other than code for dislike of left wing politics. Which is fine of course, you do you - but that's not a conversation I'm at all interested in having here.

Hollywood culture isn’t necessarily left wing politics. I have no idea where you got that from. 

The only thing I mentioned was Los Angeles culture being decent without the Hollywood culture mixed in with it. That’s it.

I don’t appreciate the passive aggressive tone here, so we’ll just move on. 

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

New York's high percentage of subway riders and walking pedestrians does not negate the city's traffic statistics, and as for taxis and Uber, by their very nature they contribute to traffic. So I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here.

The Los Angeles area, automobile-centric as it may be, has many pockets that are dominated by walking pedestrians - Downtown, Hollywood, and the beach cities primarily. This, by the same token, has no effect on what traffic statistics actually are.

New York is more dense. That’s why there are so many skyscrapers there. Many people especially in and around Manhattan walk, with a good number using the Uber service and the subways.

LA in contrast started out as bunch of smaller towns combined into one big one. I’ve driven around LA in the past and it is huge. Massive urban sprawl. Inglewood, Compton and Long Beach are well away from LA, which is one reason that makes the general area stand out. It really impressed me the first time I drove down there. 

The culture is quite different from New York and Chicago.

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

That's dope, dude. Funny you mention gravesites, one of the last days we were in Seattle I had to choose between Bruce Lee's gravesite and Kurt Cobain's house. It was a no brainer for me as a lifelong Nirvana die-hard, but I couldn't help feeling I missed out. I don't know your feelings on your neighboring major city, but I've always been a huge fan.

I am 100% with you on both counts, I would LOVE another LA Noire but it's not very likely.

I’ve walked right up to Bruce Lee’s gravesite. His son Brandon Lee is right next to him. 

In a hour of visiting the gravesite I saw plenty of older Chinese American people pay tribute to Bruce Lee by leaving flowers and holding their hands by remembering. He died nearly 50 years ago, and when you still have millions remembering, obviously you left a cultural impact on society. 

Agree on LA Noire. I’d love another Sleeping Dogs. Sadly, both gaming companies that developed them are long dead.