Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

58 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Hollywood culture isn’t necessarily left wing politics. I have no idea where you got that from. 

The only thing I mentioned was Los Angeles culture being decent without the Hollywood culture mixed in with it. That’s it.

I don’t appreciate the passive aggressive tone here, so we’ll just move on. 

It's nice that you commented on my LA post, I don't want to seem ungrateful. However - you made a remark about Los Angeles culture being unhealthy, and so naturally I felt the need to defend it. Rather than let that go, you amended the initial remark to being "Hollywood" culture, and with seemingly either a half hearted backpedal or flat out begrudgement, acknowledged that "Los Angeles culture is actually decent."

You do see how this could be perceived as a touch disrespectful, yes?

Also, there's no need for your defensive tone. It's an easy connection to make, after all - I've seen plenty of your famous rants on California and the evils of wokeness, and the same arguments have been made countless times under the blanket of "Hollywood culture." We don't have to play games here, man. You have your beliefs and I have mine. And that's fine.

Everything's cool, dude. If I came across as passive aggressive, then maybe that's on me. I consider you a guest on the thread and try to be polite, perhaps it had the opposite of the intended effect there, and if that's the case I'm sorry. However, if something doesn't sit right with me, I'm not going to say nothing.

I’ve walked right up to Bruce Lee’s gravesite. His son Brandon Lee is right next to him. 

In a hour of visiting the gravesite I saw plenty of older Chinese American people pay tribute to Bruce Lee by leaving flowers and holding their hands by remembering. He died nearly 50 years ago, and when you still have millions remembering, obviously you left a cultural impact on society. 

A legend indeed. I'm envious!

Agree on LA Noire. I’d love another Sleeping Dogs. Sadly, both gaming companies that developed them are long dead.

Me too? I didn't get around to Sleeping Dogs til recently, there's a cult classic that damn near slipped past me. I'd get in line real quick if ever there was word on another one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Ayyy thanks my dude! You're better off for neglecting Brutal, I can honestly say that you made the better decision there1f604.png1f44a.png

I saw!! That's great man, it deserves every view and like it gets.

Yes I am definitely happy with that decision haha ??

Yeah it does, was a great read as well!

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Me too? I didn't get around to Sleeping Dogs til recently, there's a cult classic that damn near slipped past me. I'd get in line real quick if ever there was word on another one.

Bloody enjoyable game that one! Really clicked with me at the time and once I'd got the hang of the combat, every fight felt fun and rewarding and if I died, it was because of a mistake I made which I could see and would rectify rather than the game being janky or unfair. Very satisfying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 0:10 AM, YaManSmevz said:

It's nice that you commented on my LA post, I don't want to seem ungrateful. However - you made a remark about Los Angeles culture being unhealthy, and so naturally I felt the need to defend it. Rather than let that go, you amended the initial remark to being "Hollywood" culture, and with seemingly either a half hearted backpedal or flat out begrudgement, acknowledged that "Los Angeles culture is actually decent."

You do see how this could be perceived as a touch disrespectful, yes?

Also, there's no need for your defensive tone. It's an easy connection to make, after all - I've seen plenty of your famous rants on California and the evils of wokeness, and the same arguments have been made countless times under the blanket of "Hollywood culture." We don't have to play games here, man. You have your beliefs and I have mine. And that's fine.

Everything's cool, dude. If I came across as passive aggressive, then maybe that's on me. I consider you a guest on the thread and try to be polite, perhaps it had the opposite of the intended effect there, and if that's the case I'm sorry. However, if something doesn't sit right with me, I'm not going to say nothing.

I know Hollywood culture quite well. I’m thankful that I didn’t grow up in it, and I’m far from alone in making this remark. 

Also, you may think I’m a right wing supporter, but I can assure you that I’m not. 

I’m a centrist at best, otherwise I'm basically independent although there’s a lot of policies I don’t agree with within that party. 

I have no idea why you felt the need to defend it. However, you seem to think that I am somehow against the “evils of wokeness” because people to the right of centrists are saying it. 

I don’t like what Hollywood has done in regards to culture in recent times and thus I just wanted to make my quick opinion on it. In contrast, you seem to like the culture more than I do and that’s completely fine. 

My family hails from California and I’ve taken countless visits up and down the coast. I love a lot about the state, including it’s scenery, weather, national parks and it’s variety. 

I don’t like the politicians there and I am against their liberal politics, whether it’s San Francisco, Los Angeles or in any other major metropolis. However, I’m not one of those conservatives living in the countryside who want a return to the “old ways”. That mentality accomplishes nothing. 

In regards to Hollywood, I don’t like most of the stuff they make but overall it has made a societal impact on American culture which cannot be ignored. I appreciate all the great things Hollywood has made in its long history. 

So when you took the time and effort to make a Los Angeles tour, I wanted to chime in and offer my commentary. 

I hope I cleared things up for you.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Hollywood

Ah man, Dynasty Warriors 3 brings back some memories. I used to play this with my friend back in the early 00s, we went through the Yellow Turban Rebellion campaign so many times - it was our favourite mission ?. Although I do have vague memories of a level with elephants, and how we always used to be terrified of Lu Bu showing up ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

Ah man, Dynasty Warriors 3 brings back some memories. I used to play this with my friend back in the early 00s, we went through the Yellow Turban Rebellion campaign so many times - it was our favourite mission 1f601.png. Although I do have vague memories of a level with elephants, and how we always used to be terrified of Lu Bu showing up 1f605.png

Duuuude that's what's up?

I remember all the generals being like "For real leave Lu Bu alone" and not listening, and he killed me with one hit? next time I was like "avoid Lu Bu, got it!" Agreed, that shit could get scary, especially when he'd chase your ass??

• Like 1

Nice retrospective my man! I'm back from the grave momentarily, and in my bout of procrastinating assignments, here I am, only to be gone for another month after this until my semester is actually over! ?

Now, Dynasty Warriors, this is one I've heard of! Only hack and slash I believe I've played is Persona 5 Strikers (or Sonic Unleashed and God of War if those count ?). There's definitely a lot of appeal to sending waves of enemies into the stratosphere! Definitely a good stress reliever! ?
That Da Qiao video felt like something from a forbidden realm... Like holy shit, the abrupt disappearance of music-- not even a slow fade out -- made it seem comedic. ? The sound department were probably trying to salvage something there! Somehow it reminds me of that sort of comedic timing of those Yakuza minigames. Never actually played a Yakuza game, but I've been blessed (or cursed...?) with seeing some of those scenes.

I also see you've started good ol' GTA IV, eh? ? You got this!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 6:50 AM, Shrooba said:

Nice retrospective my man! I'm back from the grave momentarily, and in my bout of procrastinating assignments, here I am, only to be gone for another month after this until my semester is actually over! 1f605.png

What's up, homie?? Good to see you out of the crypt??

Now, Dynasty Warriors, this is one I've heard of! Only hack and slash I believe I've played is Persona 5 Strikers (or Sonic Unleashed and God of War if those count 1f914.png). There's definitely a lot of appeal to sending waves of enemies into the stratosphere! Definitely a good stress reliever! 1f605.png
That Da Qiao video felt like something from a forbidden realm... Like holy shit, the abrupt disappearance of music-- not even a slow fade out -- made it seem comedic. 1f605.png The sound department were probably trying to salvage something there! Somehow it reminds me of that sort of comedic timing of those Yakuza minigames. Never actually played a Yakuza game, but I've been blessed (or cursed...?) with seeing some of those scenes.

Bruh it's so poorly done??? Yeah I feel that's specifically what Dynasty Warriors is for, just to shut your brain off and slay. The franchise ain't survived this long for nuffin!

You remind me that I need to get back on Yakuza 0, it's such a good game yet for whatever reason I am constantly getting sidetracked whenever I start playing it. And agreed, there's definitely a special kind of awkwardness to some of those interactions?

I also see you've started good ol' GTA IV, eh? 1f60e.png You got this!

Thanks my dude! So far so good... and I can't believe forgot how much I love it?

On 10/22/2022 at 3:22 AM, The_Kopite said:

Lol, we will see if you stick to that! Also, not much of a threat haha :P

It's the only threat I could muster?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

3. Smackdown Vs Raw 2010

Man, I loved these games back in the day. This isn't the best of em, but the spirit is the same and it's been a real treat.

I enjoyed going back to this and platinuming it. Definitely really enjoyed them back in the day as well so was cool to do and was cheap too! The only other WWE platinum I have is Legends of Wrestlemania which is just not the same. It's an odd fighting game mixed with a wrestling game and just plays differently. Fun enough for what it was though lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I enjoyed going back to this and platinuming it. Definitely really enjoyed them back in the day as well so was cool to do and was cheap too! The only other WWE platinum I have is Legends of Wrestlemania which is just not the same. It's an odd fighting game mixed with a wrestling game and just plays differently. Fun enough for what it was though lol

Dude I was obsessed with those games! I missed '09-'10 and played '11, so that was my first choice but it's been long unobtainable?

I always mix up Legends of Wrestlemania with Legends of Wrestling, and that one is so old I'm always like "huh???" I've heard mixed things about that one so I'm glad you had a good enough time with it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Dude I was obsessed with those games! I missed '09-'10 and played '11, so that was my first choice but it's been long unobtainable1f62d.png

I always mix up Legends of Wrestlemania with Legends of Wrestling, and that one is so old I'm always like "huh???" I've heard mixed things about that one so I'm glad you had a good enough time with it1f601.png

Yeah I had a hankering for some good ol' fashioned WWE and was like "Make sure not to play any unobtainable plats" lol SvR2010 and LoW worked out nicely!

Yeah can definitely understand the mixed ratings for it. Honestly if you ever play it, I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Decent play length and easy enough to get so I'd recommend in that regard, just takes a bit to get used too! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

15 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Which, at long last, brings us to the remake. Its announcement came in 2001 with a promise to essentially upgrade RE 1 in every aspect, while most importantly retaining a staunch faithfulness to the original vision of the game. And less than a year later, there it was, our survival horror Six Million Dollar Man seen to fruition, exactly as advertised. Better, in fact. I don't know if Capcom gave the development team everything they needed, if this was just a particularly talented group, or if the secret ingredient truly is love, but this is an unusually good remake. I mean ridiculously so - to the extent where it's widely accepted that the remake has replaced the original altogether, pretty much free of caveats. That's insane.

Man - that's true! I hadn't really thought about that, but you're right - a remake so completely obliterating the original version is pretty much unheard of... the only one I can really think of is possibly Shadow of the Colossus - primarily because the original ran like a powerpoint presentation - or maybe Super Mario Bros being so all-encompassing, that the original Mario Bros is barely even a blip on a Google search now!

With the graphics being so much more realistic, the situation feeling even more dire, and the characters being better fleshed out, a line like "You were almost a Jill sandwich" is too absurd, which I won't disagree with. However, they still want to give the wink as it were, so instead Barry says "A second later, you would've fit nicely into a sandwich."

WHAT IS THIS?

It's even worse than what came before it! We all know what Barry said and we've had our laughs, if you make him act like a normal person in a tense and frightening situation, believe me, it's okay! Or, y'know, just say the line, cuz that's fine too! Chris' "We got the the ROOT of that problem!" worked just fine, after all. But trying to find a middle ground here is low key a fool's errand, because you are not going to make the original game's dialogue sound natural. There are several instances like this where Capcom tries to have their cake and eat it too, and I can't help wishing they'd gone in one direction or another.

? That cracks me up - I didn't realise they changed this - and your right, it's like going "this painting of an Octopus in sexy clothing is ridiculous... put it in a different frame! Ah, that's better."

- "Barry, why do we need these convoluted keys? I mean I've got shotguns and a grenade launcher, can't I just shoot the knobs off?" "Jill, you can't do that, it's impossible." "But what about when you broke the door down earlier to save me?" ".....that's different."

?

Great write up man - you're making me seriously think about doing this one now - I played the original PS1 game a whole bunch, but haven't ever played any of the versions of the remake... 

...curse you, backlog gremlin!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png That cracks me up - I didn't realise they changed this - and your right, it's like going "this painting of an Octopus in sexy clothing is ridiculous... put it in a different frame! Ah, that's better."

I freakin KNEW it was the frame?

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png

Great write up man - you're making me seriously think about doing this one now - I played the original PS1 game a whole bunch, but haven't ever played any of the versions of the remake... 

...curse you, backlog gremlin!

Thanks a lot bro! Honestly I think you'd have a really good time with it.. plus I imagine it would help wash out the unpleasant taste of 6!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someday I'll get around to finally buckling down and earning THAT trophy, but as for now I will just continue to have a single one missing on the list xD

Congrats on the completion! I remember having a blast going for the plat in this game, and in 3 remake as well! Wish I could experience them for the first time again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

Maybe someday I'll get around to finally buckling down and earning THAT trophy, but as for now I will just continue to have a single one missing on the list xD

You can do it homie, I promise you! Whenever you're finding yourself feeling inspired, give it another go?

2 minutes ago, Billie__227 said:

Congrats on the completion! I remember having a blast going for the plat in this game, and in 3 remake as well! Wish I could experience them for the first time again.

Thank you! And that shit's real, you only get to play these things for the first time once, and that's when they're at their best. Well, that and the inevitable infinite rocket launcher run?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #80: Resident Evil 3

Better deadbolt the door, it ain't safe no more

Damn - I knew it would happen eventually - but finally a review of RE3R came along that has all the well reasoned reasons against the game I really liked - but what hurt it is the clear reason that make sense - you played and loved the original.

RE3R is a game I actually SUPER liked - much more so than I expected to, and much more than most people - but I suspect (actually, I now know) that has a lot to do with it being the only version of RE3 I've ever touched. I never had the prior experience with the original to give me a taste of what was missing from the remake, so to me, it was just a super-tight, super-streamlined action version of RE2R, with a more compelling character, better cutscenes, and less in the way of filler.

However... the more and more I hear about the original, the more and more I realise how much must have been removed to get the remake out in time - and it's making me really curious about this clock-tower section everyone seems to miss!

Great review though man - top notch stuff!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

RE3R is a game I actually SUPER liked - much more so than I expected to, and much more than most people - but I suspect (actually, I now know) that has a lot to do with it being the only version of RE3 I've ever touched. I never had the prior experience with the original to give me a taste of what was missing from the remake, so to me, it was just a super-tight, super-streamlined action version of RE2R, with a more compelling character, better cutscenes, and less in the way of filler.

That's the thing, I 100% agree with you on all its strong points. Even with what I miss from the original, it's still so good and such a fun time. I just have that expectation implanted, and you know how those go, they don't always know how to shut up and play nice?

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

However... the more and more I hear about the original, the more and more I realise how much must have been removed to get the remake out in time - and it's making me really curious about this clock-tower section everyone seems to miss!

Great review though man - top notch stuff!

Thanks mah dude?

Bro you would dig that shit, namely with your proclivity for puzzles. In the very least, give that section a watch on YouTube or something, I suspect you'd find yourself interested in the very least!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

20221201-002702.jpg

i don't think i have ever seen a video game with the box saying it's compatible with all regions 

good luck with those

.... i should actually continue with my checklist and actually write up the reviews for games i have 100% only problem is that i hate long reviews so it's gonna be a grudge lol 

• Like 1