Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

2 hours ago, serrated-banner9 said:

i don't think i have ever seen a video game with the box saying it's compatible with all regions 

good luck with those

.... i should actually continue with my checklist and actually write up the reviews for games i have 100% only problem is that i hate long reviews so it's gonna be a grudge lol 

Damn, you're an observant dude, haha.. and thanks for the well-wishes!

Your reviews don't have to be long if you don't want them to be! You can make them as short as you'd like, honestly if I wasn't so talkative I'd prefer to shorten mine down as well?

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 1:59 AM, YaManSmevz said:

20221201-002702.jpg

That's it, every PS3 game I either played on the 360, never played but wanted to, or found to have a reasonable enough price tag is here. I'm sure the odd PS4 game will still grab me on occasion, but this stack is priority, and will be until it's done. Some of these absolutely terrify me and may end up lost in the sad, dirty sea of incompletion, but that is the plan.

Some good stuff here. Especially, like you, many of these were experiences I had engaged with on the Xbox 360.

Dead Space is an immediate standout in that regard. Currently going through it myself. I’ll spare you my verbose thoughts with the game, as well as its upcoming remake; though I’ll express that I’m terribly fond of the game, and it was the first title that I had 1000G’d on the Xbox 360. 

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I remember there being a fair amount of controversy when it came to the PS3 port. Because Unreal Engine 3 was not kind to the PlayStation 3’s architecture (though, we were able to witness Ninja Theory improve their proficiency with utilization of the engine, particularly in-game with DmC: Devil May Cry), the PlayStation 3 version got a lot of well-deserved flack. Ninja Theory didn’t do themselves any favors either; I remember distinctly that they said both versions were built “from the ground up”. Not sure who they were trying to fool with that statement. Even before I practiced game development, I immediately questioned that declaration, at the time. 

Of course, while these games aren’t available on the Xbox 360, the God of War HD Collection is one I remember well -- as God of War HD was my first platinum on my original (American, before I relocated to Japan) account. Classic God of War is a more favorable game compared to its contemporary position (even if there is some personal affiliation due to my profession), in my opinion. The gameplay is more my style, to say the least.

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection I will be eternally grateful for. Supreme ports from the tech-masters in good ol’ Texas. Someday, I’ll pursue the Peace Walker platinum. Christ, that game was impressive on PSP. The console version looks and plays incredibly.

...Unfortunately, the same cannot be said in regards to the Silent Hill HD collection, as I’m sure you’re aware. Pains me to say, but that is the best, and worst thing I have to talk about here as I visit your checklist (spent some time catching up on all of your movement from when you had started it – I lack the elegance to describe the extreme comeback it was in regards to your completion rate, but from seeing your starting point, it is impressive). Even though you’re likely calibrated to the information regarding the HD collection, I still feel the need to warn you. Not only is the collection unfinished with the polish it had on the sixth generation versions, but it’s prone to crashing and freezing – much of it is just simply unavoidable/unpredictable. Functionality will fail for reasons you’d have no reason to suspect – even if it’s something you had done before. Make peace with God that during your 10-Star run, you will fail for reasons outside of your control. 

...However, Silent Hill 2 (not fond of Silent Hill 3, so the lack of me speaking about it is out of disinterest for the game) is worth playing – even if the HD version got shafted heavily. Also, an opinion I don’t share often with my peers, but I found the new voice acting to be far superior to the original VOs, and even elevates the game further to experience its director was trying to achieve. Many here may even disagree with that; I concede that it is me who is the outlier in that regard. I do apologize if you’re already aware of everything I had spoken about. I just really adore Silent Hill 2. This statement I won’t spare – I would sooner play this borked port than even glance at its upcoming remake. Pessimism is hard to divorce from realism, at times. I believe that this is going to be the case.  

-EDIT-: All of this is just to say, I'll be looking forward to reading about these games. Your Manhunt write-up was an incredible highlight. Not only do I love that game, but it is the only Rockstar game that I have enjoyed. In a weird way, I'm jealous that I can't properly engage with the PS4 version. It runs terribly on the PS5, and the whole reason why I got a PS5 was to replace my broken PS4... lol. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Some good stuff here. Especially, like you, many of these were experiences I had engaged with on the Xbox 360.

Ayyy thanks man! And appreciate you stoppin by?

Dead Space is an immediate standout in that regard. Currently going through it myself. I’ll spare you my verbose thoughts with the game, as well as its upcoming remake; though I’ll express that I’m terribly fond of the game, and it was the first title that I had 1000G’d on the Xbox 360. 

I only played a very small amount of Dead Space on the 360, but I remember loving the atmosphere to death. Very much looking forward to that one!

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I remember there being a fair amount of controversy when it came to the PS3 port. Because Unreal Engine 3 was not kind to the PlayStation 3’s architecture (though, we were able to witness Ninja Theory improve their proficiency with utilization of the engine, particularly in-game with DmC: Devil May Cry), the PlayStation 3 version got a lot of well-deserved flack. Ninja Theory didn’t do themselves any favors either; I remember distinctly that they said both versions were built “from the ground up”. Not sure who they were trying to fool with that statement. Even before I practiced game development, I immediately questioned that declaration, at the time. 

Well shit, that's kinda disheartening. It looks and feels alright thus far though, just classic PS3 jank, really. Oh, and that DLC... I completely forgot what a rigmarole buying anything from the PS3 store had become, that was definitely not the most fun way to start playing a game?

Of course, while these games aren’t available on the Xbox 360, the God of War HD Collection is one I remember well -- as God of War HD was my first platinum on my original (American, before I relocated to Japan) account. Classic God of War is a more favorable game compared to its contemporary position (even if there is some personal affiliation due to my profession), in my opinion. The gameplay is more my style, to say the least.

Nice! That's a great first plat. I haven't touched anything with God of War on it since the second game came out way back when, I'm excited for the nostalgia to slap me across the face.

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection I will be eternally grateful for. Supreme ports from the tech-masters in good ol’ Texas. Someday, I’ll pursue the Peace Walker platinum. Christ, that game was impressive on PSP. The console version looks and plays incredibly.

Yeah I haven't heard a bad thing about that collection. Dreading the VR missions for MGS2 but other than that I'm really looking forward to it. I have no knowledge whatsoever about Peace Walker (well I know it was a MGS game on the PSP, so I guess that's not entirely true), but the idea that I can now play it if I so choose is kinda dope.

...Unfortunately, the same cannot be said in regards to the Silent Hill HD collection, as I’m sure you’re aware. Pains me to say, but that is the best, and worst thing I have to talk about here as I visit your checklist (spent some time catching up on all of your movement from when you had started it – I lack the elegance to describe the extreme comeback it was in regards to your completion rate, but from seeing your starting point, it is impressive). Even though you’re likely calibrated to the information regarding the HD collection, I still feel the need to warn you. Not only is the collection unfinished with the polish it had on the sixth generation versions, but it’s prone to crashing and freezing – much of it is just simply unavoidable/unpredictable. Functionality will fail for reasons you’d have no reason to suspect – even if it’s something you had done before. Make peace with God that during your 10-Star run, you will fail for reasons outside of your control. 

So I've heard? That's been a debated purchase for a long time because of that very reason. The 10 Star run is already pretty damn intimidating without crashes popping up at random, but... as you say, it's very much worth playing even if the available version is rife with imperfections. I have also read about the re-recorded VOs being somewhat divisive, but fortunately I remember very little of this game, so it likely will make little difference to me.

Also thanks! It's still very easy for me to forget that people I don't talk to on the regular read these things? I've been very fortunate in having the free time to build my percentage up, there's nothing wrong with a low completion rate but I wanted to try and see how well I could do. Like most of us here, I guess?

-EDIT-: All of this is just to say, I'll be looking forward to reading about these games. Your Manhunt write-up was an incredible highlight. Not only do I love that game, but it is the only Rockstar game that I have enjoyed. In a weird way, I'm jealous that I can't properly engage with the PS4 version. It runs terribly on the PS5, and the whole reason why I got a PS5 was to replace my broken PS4... lol. 

Thanks a lot, man! I'm really glad you enjoyed Manhunt, that's one I wish got more love. I am not glad to hear that you can't play it though? That sucks! I heard someone else talk about how it plays like garbage on the PS5, that's fuckin wack... I'd be looking at the console like you're next gen bro, get it together!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

89-E3-B25-A-5077-4-F68-A979-0-D68-FF9-C6

Man, stellar end-of-yearing here m’dude!

You know I love seeing the winners and nominees (obviously, cause you an me - we’s on so many same pages we might as well be Rosencrantz and Guildenstern!)…

…but even if we didn’t agree on Hitman 3, The Forgotten City, Salt and Sanctuary, Supergiant awesomeness, Arkham goodness, Guacamelee… or y’know… virtually everything you said here…

…this would still be an awesome line up and a killer way to cap of a great gaming year!

Damn dude, I can’t even be sad to see my best girl (and worlds-sexiest-voice-owner) Diana lose the best NPC…

…because Galarius is such a mensch, with such a cool mechanic, such a heart… and such a pleasingly round and shiny pate!

You’re doubling down on @Platinum_Vice’s unprecedented bid to draw me back to the Call of Duty fold (seriously, I now NEED to check out this Modern Warfare remake!)… you’re reminding me about Lair of the Clockwork God (and my dumb-ass ability to buy games, then forget that I did!)…

…hell, even despite the presence on the “Least Best” list, you’ve also bumped 12 Minutes back up my list, because I gotta know what this damned twist is now!

A great awards list, a really nicely laid out post…

…and a hell of a gaming year!

? Cheers to you sir!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

It's a simple plan, but I really think this could work.

1. We get you on tv as the Sleeping dogs evangelist (in all countries on all stations)

2. Everyone buys a copy, those without a console buy a console and a copy

3. The combined game and console sales pressure everyone concerned into re-igniting the franchise and greenlighting games up until 2300 AD (with a promise to review and extend)

4. All rejoice.

The end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

89-E3-B25-A-5077-4-F68-A979-0-D68-FF9-C6

Man, stellar end-of-yearing here m’dude!

Aayyy thanks homie!

So I went over the post and was mortified at how many errors I made.. but then found that I have officially joined the club - PSNP won't let me edit it, I done broke the software! I don't know why that cheered me up, but it did?

You know I love seeing the winners and nominees (obviously, cause you an me - we’s on so many same pages we might as well be Rosencrantz and Guildenstern!)…

…but even if we didn’t agree on Hitman 3, The Forgotten City, Salt and Sanctuary, Supergiant awesomeness, Arkham goodness, Guacamelee… or y’know… virtually everything you said here…

…this would still be an awesome line up and a killer way to cap of a great gaming year!

I had to think about that for a moment, but you're right... I think the only time we've disagreed on something was the Resident Evil 3 remake, and even then it's just because I loved the original so much.

One day, though... we will disagree. And it will be fierce.

...or amusing, actually probably just that.

Damn dude, I can’t even be sad to see my best girl (and worlds-sexiest-voice-owner) Diana lose the best NPC…

…because Galarius is such a mensch, with such a cool mechanic, such a heart… and such a pleasingly round and shiny pate!

Yo Galerius broke that freakin category! I thought I had such a good match up set, but he's just the perfect NPC! I wanted Diana to win too, man... she's dreamy?

You’re doubling down on @Platinum_Vice’s unprecedented bid to draw me back to the Call of Duty fold (seriously, I now NEED to check out this Modern Warfare remake!)… you’re reminding me about Lair of the Clockwork God (and my dumb-ass ability to buy games, then forget that I did!)…

Honestly dude, it's a lot of fun, and I'm not even that big of a CoD guy. And in the unlikely event of you not digging it, at least it's super short! 

I know how backlogs be, but Lair seems to me like it'd be right up your alley. I'm not gonna be like "BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW" or anything, but do keep it in mind, especially if there's a good sale. And speaking of sales...

…hell, even despite the presence on the “Least Best” list, you’ve also bumped 12 Minutes back up my list, because I gotta know what this damned twist is now!

...again, this one is very much worth experiencing, but don't pay full price like I did?

A great awards list, a really nicely laid out post…

…and a hell of a gaming year!

1f37b.png Cheers to you sir!

Thanks again man, I appreciate you?

1 hour ago, Aceterix said:

It's a simple plan, but I really think this could work.

1. We get you on tv as the Sleeping dogs evangelist (in all countries on all stations)

2. Everyone buys a copy, those without a console buy a console and a copy

3. The combined game and console sales pressure everyone concerned into re-igniting the franchise and greenlighting games up until 2300 AD (with a promise to review and extend)

4. All rejoice.

The end.

Dude I'm down?? Sleeping Dogs Awareness Campaign has begun!!

• Like 3

Wow. I did actually read all of this when you had initially posted it, but I'm mostly locked to mobile during this period of travel, and having my my plans intercepted by Southwest Airlines. Whatever temperature it's been back home in Santa Ana, I'm sure it's mildly warmer than the -20°F/-29°C (or whatever the fuck it is in Celsius, I haven't used it since I lived in Japan) here in Denver, Colorado. 

You completed a lot of games this year, well done. Always cool to a string of productivity within entertainment. I think that's really important. It'd be like starting many movies throughout the year and never finishing them. Even if you enjoyed distracting yourself, use your time of enjoyment effectively. Well, I do, anyway. Everyone else is free to utilize their agency in any manner that they please.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, YaManSmevz said:

#4 is my man @kindajustin for being my partner in crime on three games this year (we still gotta get you that Overcooked hundo tho1f62c.png). Those GTA games we completed are among my proudest gaming achievements, so a huge thanks to you, bro!

Hey, well, I'm in the process of attempting to convince him of playing Armored Core: Verdict Day (these attempts are fruitless, though that's all right. Only teasing). 

Incredibly reliable and him having the constitution and energy to commit to cooperative projects definitely makes him a terribly valuable partner. Good luck with Overcooked, Justin. :) You'll get it. 

1f489.pngMost Addicting Gameplay1f489.png

-God of War

TidyTestyCavy-size_restricted.gif

Somehow I forgot how satisfying it is to play as this primal, savage beast of a man. Whether you're calculating your combos just so or merely button mashing, this thing plays so much smoother than its age would have you believe.

We touched on it lightly when I had first stopped by, but I absolutely concur. 

Many third-person action games of similar style to God of War (even some of my favorites, like Ninja Gaiden) have something that this game doesn't... and that's its incredible camera. Because the player has literally zero control over the camera, every aspect of the game was optimized with the exact same visibility. It's incredible. 

The new versions of God of War lack this (largely, to the favor of the masses, it seems), but even if I'm not that crazy about the original God of War, I respect a lot of elements about it. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with it. 

1f634.pngBest Game I Been Sleepin On1f634.png

-Salt & Sanctuary

Lb8573c.png

I blame my irrational fear of Soulsborne games! Approached with one with some trepidation, but quickly realized what lore-heavy, hand drawn goodness I'd been missing out on!

I'm glad you were able to concede that the fear is indeed irrational ?. 

I've never played Salt and Sanctuary, though I've played all of the Soulsborne titles. I'm a fan of most of them -- and if you've liked this, then I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the progenitor titles in the third-dimensional plane. 

The actual Soulsborne games are strikingly similar to Zelda titles to me. They speak to me as I love it when everything is bleak and fucked up (Christ, Dark Souls doesn't compare to some of the literature I grossly enjoy). That being said, regardless if you may find the games challenging, you should still play them. They're excellent. When the Soulsborne community isn't memeing it up with their "git gud" rhetoric, it's a very helpful community. I myself hop on certain games to aid neophytes treading through Miyazaki's fucked up fiction. 

Well, not trying to tell you what to do. But you absolutely have what it takes to see the games through. And I won't accept this irrational fear as justifiable when it's painfully obvious that you're beyond the challenge that these games offer. I'm eager for that potential day to stop by here and see it mentioned. 

-Jill Valentine, Resident Evil 3

RE3_RC_Demo_Jill-1.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1

I've played her as a protagonist three separate times this year, so you bet your ass she's nominated! In 1, she's the person forced into bad assery, but in 3 she feels fully formed. This is how I like my women, quick thinking and tough. And pointing a gun at me

Ahhh, Jill. Yep, I'm terribly fond of her. Have been since I was a stupid-ass kid playing games that I had no business in engaging with. 

Interesting controversy, this one. I'm a firm believer that good games don't need remakes (remasters are fine, I always advocate for those), but if a game was good when it released, then it's good today. That's how I see it, anyway. 

...That being said, I don't like Resident Evil 3 a terrible amount compared to Resi 1/2. So it getting "remade"... yeah, I'll play it someday. The fact that the game was developed by former PlatinumGames staff (talk about this going full circle, lol) it has my interest. I'll check it out, eventually. 

Something amusing. These Resident Evil games aren't remakes -- they're reimaginings. Capcom has even spoken about this. None of these titles have the "Remake" moniker that the fans use. I understand why it was given that sort of nomenclature -- to easily identify it from the original titles. However, given that Resi 2/3 play nothing like their originals, and don't even really share the original staff of the original titles, calling them "remakes" seems inappropriate to me. It isn't even something like Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 where it's largely 1:1 to the original games -- these are fundamentally different, and don't share a single line of code. 

Not saying this is inherently a bad thing, of course -- nor am I trying to start an argument. I also refer to them as "Resident Evil (number) Remake" when speaking/referencing these titles. I respect the verbiage for easy of use. I just see them as totally different games. I'm not crazy about Resident Evil 2 Remake, as everything I loved about the original is absent in the new one. Just isn't the same game.  

...That might be a good thing for when I play Resident Evil 3. We'll see! 

-MultiVersus

L4da841.png

Probably the closest to a successful Smash Bros clone that I've ever seen. There's still lots of bugs to be worked out, at least from when I last played it, but from the roster to gameplay, there's a lot of potential here.

Aha, this game! 

I know so little of it, that whenever I think of it, I think of when you, @Flubberwunked, @kindajustin and I were in a brief Discord call and you were playing this game. I'm glad to hear that despite its (current) barren nature, you found some enjoyment.

...There's something just so dystopian to me about "Here's all of your favorite things, unfitting and ridiculous, perverted into one package". 

-----------------------------------------------

Dude, this was really cool. I wish I had more to say with the other games you had completed this year, but seriously -- well done on your accomplishments and the write-up. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Wow. I did actually read all of this when you had initially posted it, but I'm mostly locked to mobile during this period of travel, and having my my plans intercepted by Southwest Airlines. Whatever temperature it's been back home in Santa Ana, I'm sure it's mildly warmer than the -20°F/-29°C (or whatever the fuck it is in Celsius, I haven't used it since I lived in Japan) here in Denver, Colorado.

Ay what's up, man! Life gonna life. Also hell yeah, I love Denver! Family visit, I presume?

You completed a lot of games this year, well done. Always cool to a string of productivity within entertainment. I think that's really important. It'd be like starting many movies throughout the year and never finishing them. Even if you enjoyed distracting yourself, use your time of enjoyment effectively. Well, I do, anyway. Everyone else is free to utilize their agency in any manner that they please.

Thanks, dude! And agreed 100%. Getting things done definitely makes anything creative that much more rewarding, be it through consumption or production. Oddly enough though I think I was less productive this year due to having more free time - it was easy to take for granted, I guess?

Hey, well, I'm in the process of attempting to convince him of playing Armored Core: Verdict Day (these attempts are fruitless, though that's all right. Only teasing). 

Incredibly reliable and him having the constitution and energy to commit to cooperative projects definitely makes him a terribly valuable partner. Good luck with Overcooked, Justin. :) You'll get it. 

Oh noooo I didn't mean to put the homie on blast? He is an excellent boosting partner though, that's my dude.

I'm glad you were able to concede that the fear is indeed irrational 1f605.png

I've never played Salt and Sanctuary, though I've played all of the Soulsborne titles. I'm a fan of most of them -- and if you've liked this, then I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the progenitor titles in the third-dimensional plane. 

The actual Soulsborne games are strikingly similar to Zelda titles to me. They speak to me as I love it when everything is bleak and fucked up (Christ, Dark Souls doesn't compare to some of the literature I grossly enjoy). That being said, regardless if you may find the games challenging, you should still play them. They're excellent. When the Soulsborne community isn't memeing it up with their "git gud" rhetoric, it's a very helpful community. I myself hop on certain games to aid neophytes treading through Miyazaki's fucked up fiction. 

Well, not trying to tell you what to do. But you absolutely have what it takes to see the games through. And I won't accept this irrational fear as justifiable when it's painfully obvious that you're beyond the challenge that these games offer. I'm eager for that potential day to stop by here and see it mentioned. 

Ayy thank man, I appreciate the vote of confidence! Bloodborne and Sekiro are on the list for next year, I've been wanting to play those for a minute. I definitely think you'd dig Salt and Sanctuary, it very much fits the bleak bill (also Zelda, interesting! Hadn't considered that but can see it for sure)

Ahhh, Jill. Yep, I'm terribly fond of her. Have been since I was a stupid-ass kid playing games that I had no business in engaging with. 

Bro, same?

Interesting controversy, this one. I'm a firm believer that good games don't need remakes (remasters are fine, I always advocate for those), but if a game was good when it released, then it's good today. That's how I see it, anyway. 

...That being said, I don't like Resident Evil 3 a terrible amount compared to Resi 1/2. So it getting "remade"... yeah, I'll play it someday. The fact that the game was developed by former PlatinumGames staff (talk about this going full circle, lol) it has my interest. I'll check it out, eventually. 

Something amusing. These Resident Evil games aren't remakes -- they're reimaginings. Capcom has even spoken about this. None of these titles have the "Remake" moniker that the fans use. I understand why it was given that sort of nomenclature -- to easily identify it from the original titles. However, given that Resi 2/3 play nothing like their originals, and don't even really share the original staff of the original titles, calling them "remakes" seems inappropriate to me. It isn't even something like Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 where it's largely 1:1 to the original games -- these are fundamentally different, and don't share a single line of code. 

Not saying this is inherently a bad thing, of course -- nor am I trying to start an argument. I also refer to them as "Resident Evil (number) Remake" when speaking/referencing these titles. I respect the verbiage for easy of use. I just see them as totally different games. I'm not crazy about Resident Evil 2 Remake, as everything I loved about the original is absent in the new one. Just isn't the same game.  

...That might be a good thing for when I play Resident Evil 3. We'll see! 

For the most part we're pretty much eye to eye on this one, with just a few exceptions - I really loved RE3, and I thought that even though a re-imagining, 2019 RE2 did a pretty good job of capturing its 90s counterpart. Definitely some omissions and some new stuff I didn't care for, but overall the "eh, whaddayagonnados" outweighed the "oh COME ONs" pretty heavily, at least for me.

Aha, this game! 

I know so little of it, that whenever I think of it, I think of when you, @Flubberwunked, @kindajustin and I were in a brief Discord call and you were playing this game. I'm glad to hear that despite its (current) barren nature, you found some enjoyment.

Oh you're right, I forgot about that! I do apologize, I doubt I was of much good conversation, being mired in the miserable grind of trophy hunting in this game rather than, y'know, hunting genuine enjoyment?

This would've been a perfectly fun time had I not been in such a rush to get the trophy aspect over with.. though to hear that the online has grown a bit deserted, perhaps we made the right call!

Dude, this was really cool. I wish I had more to say with the other games you had completed this year, but seriously -- well done on your accomplishments and the write-up. 

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it. Always nice when you stop by??

• Like 2

On 30/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, YaManSmevz said:

?Best Graphics?

-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

fM3ePTvfXVgQBkQ95FFfm6.jpg

This one flat out blew me away. I know how commonplace realism has become in games these days, but God DAMN. The immersion is through the roof because of the graphics alone, you're practically there.

You know what's even more crazy? This game is from 2019!! Yet it's still graphically impressive at the end of 2022!

The Artful Escape

The-Artful-Escape-Dimensional-Turtle.jpg

Does the whole game look this good??

1f60c.pngMost Satisfying Completion1f60c.png

Congrats on this year, man, you put in the time and came out with some big wins this year. I know you're proud, but I hope you're really proud and have given yourself a big pat on the back.

Two years in a row?? I have to, man... Hitman 3!!

SO the rumours are true... it really is that good, huh? ?

Hey - you know how much I rate this checklist, homes... please don't stop being you. ✌️

On 30/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

As someone who also has LotCG sitting there untouched, it's kind of nice to have beaten you to a game for once with MW2019. I don't know about playing more than that one in particular, but if you fall down the rabbit hole, I'm sure you'll let us know if any others are as slick as this one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

You know what's even more crazy? This game is from 2019!! Yet it's still graphically impressive at the end of 2022!

Dude, ferreal. It's an unusually good looking game, to say the least!

Does the whole game look this good??

Weeeellllll technically no, but mostly!

Congrats on this year, man, you put in the time and came out with some big wins this year. I know you're proud, but I hope you're really proud and have given yourself a big pat on the back.

Thanks my dude! Coming from someone who's put down as many big dogs this year as you have, I will take it?

SO the rumours are true... it really is that good, huh? 1f914.png

I'm afraid so... Hitman 3 is, in technical terminology, dat bitch.

Hey - you know how much I rate this checklist, homes... please don't stop being you. 270c.png

Mah man??

• Like 4

On 12/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Ay what's up, man! Life gonna life. Also hell yeah, I love Denver! Family visit, I presume?

More or less, yeah. A close friend of mine who I essentially consider my brother despite being the only male in my consanguineous family.

We lived together for a long time before I relocated to Southern California. The extended stay ended up being a boon despite Southwest fucking my plans up. Glad I had the foresight to bring my work laptop in case something like this happened.

...I also grew fond of Denver immediately. I just moved to SoCal in the summer as you know, and I could easily see myself living there. Maybe if my current employer would be cool with me working out of state... we'll see!

Thanks, dude! And agreed 100%. Getting things done definitely makes anything creative that much more rewarding, be it through consumption or production. Oddly enough though I think I was less productive this year due to having more free time - it was easy to take for granted, I guess?

Funny how that works -- I can behave in the exact same way. When I map out my tasks and give deadlines in response to what I need to do, it's in response to me feeling like I'm optimizing my time well.

...And then when I have more free time than usual, it isn't optimized appropriately enough ?. I'm at my most unproductive when I have unmitigated free time.

Ayy thank man, I appreciate the vote of confidence! Bloodborne and Sekiro are on the list for next year, I've been wanting to play those for a minute. I definitely think you'd dig Salt and Sanctuary, it very much fits the bleak bill (also Zelda, interesting! Hadn't considered that but can see it for sure)

I think I may actually own this game on my Switch... Anyway, regardless of that, I'll get played.

Ah, man... in my opinion, you're going to start with two of the best ones (another personal favorite of mine is the original Dark Souls, though like DrBloodmoney, I am fond of its sequel and think its divisive reputation is largely unearned). With Bloodborne, I'm still holding out for a potential PS5 version (specifically, a remaster, I do not want this game remade -- I just want it to have comparable performance to its kin).

Sekiro I actually first played before release at a Japanese store called Disc Pier. FromSoftware was touring this chain of retail stores and I got to meet some of the designers. I didn't play it fully until I moved back to America.

For the most part we're pretty much eye to eye on this one, with just a few exceptions - I really loved RE3, and I thought that even though a re-imagining, 2019 RE2 did a pretty good job of capturing its 90s counterpart. Definitely some omissions and some new stuff I didn't care for, but overall the "eh, whaddayagonnados" outweighed the "oh COME ONs" pretty heavily, at least for me.

I can respect it enough to divorce it from the original game. Playing it is a completely different experience. I do think that's acceptable, and actually, appropriate.

What would make me happy is having all of these older Capcom games on more contemporary hardware. Then I wouldn't be indirectly forced to only engage with the reimgainings. Good thing I still have the ol' PS-Triple at my side.

...Which looks like I'll be addressing that console here shortly.

Oh you're right, I forgot about that! I do apologize, I doubt I was of much good conversation, being mired in the miserable grind of trophy hunting in this game rather than, y'know, hunting genuine enjoyment1f602.png

This would've been a perfectly fun time had I not been in such a rush to get the trophy aspect over with.. though to hear that the online has grown a bit deserted, perhaps we made the right call!

Quite all right, friend -- there's nothing to apologize for. I didn't want to get in the way of you and Justin doing what you needed to do. Group voice calls like that can get crowded fast -- and especially if one section of it has different objectives/topics than the other. Not your fault -- and I'm glad we were able to meet then initially.

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it. Always nice when you stop by1f60e.png1f44a.png

Definitely. :)

I know very few people here in SoCal. So even having a virtual friend helps me feel a bit more connected to the area. I adored your Los Angeles post from a few months ago, by the way. I lived in Northern California as a child (Sacramento area), and it's quite different from here!

...Largest complaint I have the property prices. ? I do well enough for myself, but it's hard to justify a house worth over a million dollars unless I plan on turning it into an investment tool specifically and not just a place to live.

The moment my posts are not welcomed or taxing due to them being verbose, just say the word.

----

Now let's get to the really exciting stuff!

18 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Monthly Update with Ya Man Smevz

December 2022

Big-Mouth-406-Andrew-Rannells-3.png

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages, Happy! Mafuckin! Neewww Yeeeaaaarrr!!

I hope everybody had a blast this past holiday season, and I'm quite pleased we're all here to kick off another year of gaming and being our best, nerdy selves270a.png1f913.png

So yeah, 2022 is in the books. I did get my #44 and wrapped up God of War 2 on the morn of New Year's Eve (After Islanders got the same treatment last year, this may become a new tradition for me1f604.png), but man. One shy of meeting last year's number of completions. The aaagonnnnnnnnah, just kidding.

So a great year, but more importantly, how was December?

89.31% Overall Completion (+0.97)
547 Unearned Trophies (-51)
3.52 Trophies Per Day (+0.01)
84 Platinums (+3)
Level 380 (+5)

World Rank 106,350*

Country Rank 28,008*

Not bad December, not bad at all!

*Just for shiggles, I'm taking note of my rank on the leader boards. This won't be a monthly thing as it's not very important to me, but I found myself nearing the top 100,000 in the world and can't deny getting a lil curious! So we'll check back later on in the year, see how we do.

...Just a moment ago, we were speaking about the consequence of being unproductive due to too much free time -- however, I'd be pleased with these stats myself. I can go for months without playing games (especially if I choose to read over 100 books in a year... need to get on maintaining my GoodReads). Well done.

Yeah, all I care about is being on the leader board as a proof of integrity, but I couldn't care less as to where I place. If I'm climbing down, then it'll be with honor. ?

19 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Rating the Month

Between conquering GTA IV, re-introducing myself to Kratos (and the gods, and a bunch of bare breasted women), and improving literally every profile stat in spite of being the December type busy, I'm pretty damn proud of how this month went down. Only three platinums? Who gives a fuck? December gets five out of five Bowling Dates!

Before December, the last time I had earned a platinum was in July. If I could average three platinums a month myself... I'd be in much better shape with my backlog. Well done.

I personally wouldn't have the constitution to platinum GTA IV. It's impressive -- well done.

19 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Gaming Hitlist

20230101-095108.jpg

We shaved him down a lil bit!

We're mostly in order of desire to play here. Of the lowest ranked guys, Medal of Honor may move up if somebody I'm cool with reeaally wants to go for all the online stuff, otherwise it's not terribly important to me, as I bought it for Frontline. Fallout: New Vegas I'm equally excited for how dope I've heard the story is and dreading how miserable I've heard the bugs are. Final Fantasy XIII, I do very much wanna play it, but I'd really rather play IX, X, and XII first... we'll see how that one goes I guess. They'll all get played in the end!

And that's all my blabby ass mouth got to say1f602.png Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to another year of PSN shenanigans. Peace!

Oh man... I noticed one of these games got started and I'm excited to read the write-up when it's concluded. Have fun. :)

...I keep on adding PS3 games myself. I'm obsessed with the console. Even with the PS5, I still look toward the PS3 a great deal. I plan on starting the Silent Hill HD Collection once I conclude Dead Space 3.

--

Unrelated, but I noticed you post pictures from animated sitcoms I really like. You wouldn't happen to be a Mission Hill fan, would you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

More or less, yeah. A close friend of mine who I essentially consider my brother despite being the only male in my consanguineous family.

We lived together for a long time before I relocated to Southern California. The extended stay ended up being a boon despite Southwest fucking my plans up. Glad I had the foresight to bring my work laptop in case something like this happened.

...I also grew fond of Denver immediately. I just moved to SoCal in the summer as you know, and I could easily see myself living there. Maybe if my current employer would be cool with me working out of state... we'll see!

Oh no, Southwest? My wife and I usually fly with Southwest where possible simply because in our experience they seem to fuck up the least, but of course there is no such thing as an infallible airline!

That's awesome! I hope he's showing you a good time, Denver is wonderful. Especially right now, and even more especially if you ain't gotta drive (that black ice is no joke). I'm happy for you man, sounds like you're living it up!

I think I may actually own this game on my Switch... Anyway, regardless of that, I'll get played.

Yaas!

I can respect it enough to divorce it from the original game. Playing it is a completely different experience. I do think that's acceptable, and actually, appropriate.

This is my problem with the newer RE3... it's objectively well made in every regard, and an unquestionably great time. But my love of the original creates this dichotomy where I'm simultaneously thoroughly enjoying the 2020 rendition but stuck on the 1999 one.

The TLDR here is that I envy your ability to separate the two, I just can't do it?

What would make me happy is having all of these older Capcom games on more contemporary hardware. Then I wouldn't be indirectly forced to only engage with the reimgainings. Good thing I still have the ol' PS-Triple at my side.

If only!

3 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I know very few people here in SoCal. So even having a virtual friend helps me feel a bit more connected to the area. I adored your Los Angeles post from a few months ago, by the way. I lived in Northern California as a child (Sacramento area), and it's quite different from here!

Glad to hear it, my dude? And thank you so much! It's made me really happy to see peeps enjoying the traveling posts I've done, so I'm glad to hear that as well!

...guess I could've just said the first 'glad to hear it' and called it a day then, huh... my bad?

...Largest complaint I have the property prices. 1f602.png I do well enough for myself, but it's hard to justify a house worth over a million dollars unless I plan on turning it into an investment tool specifically and not just a place to live.

You ain't lie, man. Wifey and I talk a lot about moving out of state, not out of a dislike or anything (far from it), but just to experience other places for longer than a week at a time. Then we remember that we might have some serious difficulty moving back, property values would have risen who knows how high by the time we'd wanna come back!

The moment my posts are not welcomed or taxing due to them being verbose, just say the word.

Nah man, don't even trip on that. We good!

Now let's get to the really exciting stuff!

...Just a moment ago, we were speaking about the consequence of being unproductive due to too much free time -- however, I'd be pleased with these stats myself. I can go for months without playing games (especially if I choose to read over 100 books in a year... need to get on maintaining my GoodReads). Well done.

BruhhHH.

I got a GoodReads profile a good few years back (edit: 2015, good lord), but my reading sadly fizzled out. And it wasn't even on a good note - I read Shopgirl, which made me really sad because I love Steve Martin but he clearly injected his own fantasies of being a weird sexdaddy into a novella of average af quality (that's being polite). Then he plays the same character in the movie?? ???

Sorry, I haven't thought about that for a long time! You've inspired me to dust that profile off and see where I was last, I'd like to be anywhere near as productive there as I've tried to be here (and thank you for the kind words, btw).

...I keep on adding PS3 games myself. I'm obsessed with the console. Even with the PS5, I still look toward the PS3 a great deal. I plan on starting the Silent Hill HD Collection once I conclude Dead Space 3.

Dude I been kicking myself for neglecting all these great older games. I'm trying very hard to stick with the games I've got lined up, but there's still a chance that "ooh, piece of candy" mentality strikes again?

Yoooo lemme know how Silent Hill 2 goes, and if you'll have any tips! That's easily the one I'm most nervous about!

Unrelated, but I noticed you post pictures from animated sitcoms I really like. You wouldn't happen to be a Mission Hill fan, would you?

Actually no, I've seen that one around but have never given it a watch... but if I've got a new show to binge I'll be a happy man!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Gaming Hitlist

20230201-043117.jpg

Ugh. We got so close with Medal of Honor!! One mission left for Tier 1 mode, and that's a wrap. I got a good feeling though that I'ma finish up a lotta good shit this month.. it would be in my best interest, seeing as after finishing the Winter challenge I've got a kaleidoscopic one to worry about next?

So that's it from my ass! Reporting live from a quiet home with a sleeping wife, I'm ya man Smevz!

you got this. you can do it :):D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #88: Medal of Honor

Politicians hide themselves away, they only started the war

medal-of-honor-warfighter-announced-for-

Medal of Honor's 2010 reboot has a unique place among my PS3 completions. I never owned it on the 360, didn't admire its PS3 prowess from afar, or even decide that I needed to play it after reading a list or review or whatever. In short, it's here due to the game's servers going down and the resulting FOMO. I knew that Medal of Honor had some bops back in its day, and figured it may be cool to see this one off.

And it kinda was, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped. I ended up enjoying Medal of Honor on that level where it doesn't do anything too badly - it looks pretty good, it's fun shooting stuff, and each mission type is done well enough. There was even the occasional high point that reminded me why I enjoy FPS games from time to time!

In particular, I really enjoyed the missions Belly of the Beast and Rescuing the Rescuers. In the former, you're getting bum rushed from the jump, and it's intense. You can barely see where you're shooting, get pinned down by a heavy machine gunner, and at the end all the cover around your team gets slowly destroyed as the enemy keeps coming, with you and your team slowly running out of ammo. In the latter, you're painstakingly taking down overwhelming resistance a handful of yards at a time, aided by the odd air strike. I thought both were a lot of fun, and really well done.

The Tier 1 playthrough was fun too. I liked the pressure of a timer and no checkpoints cuz honestly this game is so short and low on difficulty that any additional challenge is welcome, and this is my basic gamer ass talkin!

However, the rest of the game is just kinda there, with the first issue being that Medal of Honor clearly wants to be Call of Duty 4. The Middle Eastern setting switch up, the split perspective with different protagonists, even the types of missions were suspiciously reminiscent of the Modern Warfare games, and as a result it feels so derivative and generic. I remember when Medal of Honor was the OG and Call of Duty felt like some new knock off WW2 game, so it was kinda sad to see how the tables have turned.

You play as two Tier 1 operators (well actually four but the other two guys account for three missions total), and their teams eventually meet near the end, but it has no effect whatsoever because there's no reason to care about them. The teammates are stock as shit, with a Boston accent standing out the most. Rather than fleshing them out as characters, there's more effort put into making these guys look like bad asses, but it's to the point that it feels needless and unrealistic. In scripted scenes they brutalize enemies who try to sneak up on them with hand to hand combat, or take out five guys at once in perfect stealth (though are comically useless while you're actually playing). On the other hand, you get one scripted moment of taking point where you get knocked out almost immediately, and your team basically clowns on you with one guy grumbling "I just saved your ass." Why we gotta be the punk, huh?

There's a plot connecting all our soldiers with a stereotypical General barking shitty orders from his office at your standard capable but overlooked Colonel, and it had a lot of potential but didn't really go anywhere. The writing is just so unimaginative and boring. If you just had the General say "Your units talk the talk, but do they walk the walk" and the Colonel responding "oh, do you have a good view of the war from BEHIND YOUR DESK," it would have the same effect.

And the really wack thing is that this is all based on an actual operation from the early days of the war in Afghanistan. There was no reason for it all to feel so dull. It doesn't have to be some profound statement or anything, but surely you can do more with the material than this!

The gameplay is alright. It's as linear as a game can get though, to the point where you can't even progress if the game doesn't want you to - none of your characters seem capable of opening a door or climbing a ridge by themselves (they are able to kick down a door on occasion, but only upon request), and waiting for your teammates to catch up is a drag - especially when you're on the timed playthrough.

You shoot with R1 instead of R2 (or L2, I don’t wanna disrespect the lefties out there), which drove me nuts, but it's come up a few times with games of this age so I'll just chalk it up to me being bitchy and move on. Other than that, the controls are totally fine.

The music is good, but can feel a little overly dramatic at times. I liked how it started up at the end of Belly of the Beast when it feels like your team is fucked, but then (spoiler) it turns out they aren't - the day is saved and 'merica wins - and it robs the mission's end of any emotional punch. And this game really could've used that, cuz as I mentioned before, it's hard to sympathize with these caricatures!

After the homie Platinum Vice had great things to say about Medal of Honor: Frontline, it was that one I really wanted to play on this disc over the base game, but I let myself get caught up in unobtainable hoopla and undoubtedly ended up playing the inferior game. I won't deny that I'm still curious, but after getting this plat I couldn't help asking myself how many old first person shooters I really need to play.

Going for a soon to be unobtainable platinum has its own thrill, but it's not enough to carry the experience on its own, and if I hadn't genuinely thought I might enjoy this game I would've been pretty damn miserable. There was a lot left to be desired, especially given the name recognition, but Medal of Honor was fun for what it was - a generic FPS that there is no need to ever play again1f602.png

Stray Observations

- The guy on the cover, Dusty, is a useless NPC in two short missions, though I guess his big beard, backwards baseball cap, and gas station sunglasses were just too cool to pass up using him as the mascot. Mafucka looks like Poochie if he was an incel TikToker.

- Unsurprisingly, the team aspect feels so much more realistic in the multiplayer mode - when you're moving with a godly player who's taking down enemies left and right, to see him go down in an instant always feels like such a jolt. Something like that would've added a lot to the campaign - there we get one moment where a teammate is human, and he gets grazed on his shoulder.

- Whenever NPCs talk to me in a FPS, I always make my character nod. It's really dorky but it gets a laugh out of me.

- Towards the end when you find the other team, it's dark and dusty as shit, and all you can see are their names over their heads. When my teammate was like "FRIENDLY!!" I wanted my character to say "no shit bitch, you don't see that blue text over their heads?"

- One more thing with the controls - Square reloads, which is totally cool, but it will also send a message to a PSN friend when you pass them in Tier 1 mode, which got annoying. I'm in a heated firefight, and about to peek out from cover to take some fools down. Right before I make my move I go to reload, and the game stops, with a pre-made message popping up addressed from me to some person I played with one time saying "HAY BRO JUST BEAT UR TIME LOL!" Such a needless momentum killer, and who gives a fuck about stuff like this anyway??

THAT Trophy: Multiplayer: Fire Controller

Conspicuous Gallantry gets a mention because in all fairness there are some tough spots on the Tier 1 playthrough, but it's never anything that feels insurmountable. The multiplayer on the other hand, that was a bit concerning!

Everything is pretty feasible MP-wise (if time consuming), but this trophy requires a particularly strong killstreak, and with so many peeps playing right now who been good at this game since the Obama administration, that's a tall fuckin order!

Best way to go for this? Hide around objectives and get kills that way, slinking in between hiding places as best you can, all while hitting objectives yourself with the sharpest eye you can muster. And after you get close to hitting that number about five or six times, say fuck it and join a boosting group1f602.png

excellent write-up man, so glad you finished it in time, guessing by the stack Dead space next?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, serrated-banner9 said:

excellent write-up man, so glad you finished it in time, guessing by the stack Dead space next?

Hey thanks a lot man, I appreciate you! And you done guessed right, I fell back in love with Dead Space with the quickness?

Ahh, the classic GoW...still as legendary as before :D 

I think the Greek God of War can be reasonably put in the "timeless masterpieces" section of videogaming, because...let's be honest, it's freaking 2023 and those games still impress xD They are still flawed (no game is without flaw) but that doesn't make them less epic.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:57 AM, YaManSmevz said:

As sympathetic as I may sound, let's not forget that Kratos truly is an asshole, and likely was even before his deal with Ares. Kratos is that dude who screams while lifting in the gym and starts fights with complete strangers. And seeing as quite a few baby boys have been named Kratos since 2009, getting cut off by a screaming Kratos in traffic is a sad possibility for us all in the near future!

Damn, Kratos really sounds like that one hemorrhoid gym yeller ? heard a lot of comparisons for Kratos, but never that one!

In short, Kratos is a prick. But I never really took issue with this, seeing as it's the crux of Greek mythology. Cronos was a prick, Zeus was a prick, Ares was a prick... these stories are all about people being pricks, and in the end (mostly) getting what's coming to em. After Narcissus drowns or Icarus falls to his death, we may as well have Rod Serling walk over in a chiton and sandals to sum it all up for us!

I think that's why Kratos is a compelling character(well..until GoW3), because of that sweet sweet hubris and critical flaw that every Greek God had. In Kratos' case, he is the type of person who opens a door with his head, only to realize later on that the actual door is 3 m to the left and he was just banging a wall. With tits on it. Cause it's Ancient Greece.

- Love how annoyed that guy outside Pandora's Temple is, like "Oh great, here's another idiot who wants to try and get into the temple and bother me. Terrific."

"Welcome, champion", said the bored guard, knowing that he will do overtime once again with that pyre of corpses.

- That poor captain can't catch a break, can he?

There's 3 constants in the GoW series - Angry Kratos, huge bosses and that goddamn captain ?

Believe me at one point you will start to play "find the captain reference" in the games xD

THAT Trophy: I'll Take the Physical Challenge

By far the toughest thing this game has to offer, and it's almost exclusively because of the requirement to tackle all ten challenges in a row. This is where you'll be grateful if you didn't mash Square the entire game on Easy Mode and hope for the best, because you'll seriously be put to the test in a few spots. Challenge #8 (*belch*) is exhausting as it never seems to want to end, and Challenge #10... well, I fucking hate the Satyrs, I'll leave it at that!

I think that GoW1 was the most challenging one to platinum, exactly because of the damn Challenge 10. The satyrs themselves are pretty ok-ish to defeat once you learn their parry moveset...but dear god do they love to glitch through that platform in Challenge 10. I think that challenge was straight up broken.

No matter how many God of War reviews I see, I can never get enough xD nice writing! 

Waiting for the epic sequel writeup now :> 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Ahh, the classic GoW...still as legendary as before :D 

I think the Greek God of War can be reasonably put in the "timeless masterpieces" section of videogaming, because...let's be honest, it's freaking 2023 and those games still impress xD They are still flawed (no game is without flaw) but that doesn't make them less epic.

Duuuude that's how it felt when I replayed it last month, I was expecting to be like "well, it's almost twenty years old, we can't expect it to be as good as we remember" but I never had to, cuz it really does feel as good! Timeless is definitely the perfect word.

I think that's why Kratos is a compelling character(well..until GoW3), because of that sweet sweet hubris and critical flaw that every Greek God had. In Kratos' case, he is the type of person who opens a door with his head, only to realize later on that the actual door is 3 m to the left and he was just banging a wall. With tits on it. Cause it's Ancient Greece.

Yes! I love that they weren't overly interested in trying to get us to be all "aww, poor bb" for him. It's like "see what happens when you just throw temper tantrums and never stop to think what part you may have played in your own misfortune? You bash your head against walls, and you're unable to see the tits for the trees.

And for real, you'd think having tits all over the place would cheer him up some! "HATE!! VIOLENCE!! ANGEEEE- ooh, pretty.... wait, what was I saying?"

"Welcome, champion", said the bored guard, knowing that he will do overtime once again with that pyre of corpses.

You got me??? I was like "I don't remember him saying that!" and went back and watched it on YouTube. He sounds as bitter as I remember though, like if Kratos hadn't solved all the puzzles some guy showing up after Kratos would've been greeted like "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE, I'VE GOT ENOUGH BODIES TO BURN ALREADY, YOU DICK!!"

There's 3 constants in the GoW series - Angry Kratos, huge bosses and that goddamn captain 1f602.png

Believe me at one point you will start to play "find the captain reference" in the games xD

I had completely forgotten about the captain! I felt bad for him in GoW2, at that point they were clearly just fucking with him?

I think that GoW1 was the most challenging one to platinum, exactly because of the damn Challenge 10. The satyrs themselves are pretty ok-ish to defeat once you learn their parry moveset...but dear god do they love to glitch through that platform in Challenge 10. I think that challenge was straight up broken.

Agreed! I didn't do the challenges when I played this back in the day, so I was nervous as shit going in. I actually thought if you died at all, you'd get reset back to the beginning, like it was THAT strict. I can't tell you how relieved I was to find that wasn't how it is! #10 felt fucking great to finish, I remember when the platform was almost at the point where I could jump I nearly leapt off in the wrong direction by accident. That was a heartstopper?

No matter how many God of War reviews I see, I can never get enough xD nice writing! 

Waiting for the epic sequel writeup now :> 

Aayyy thanks my dude!

• Like 2

On 12/02/2023 at 9:57 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Before going any further, we gotta give a shout to Platinum Vice's outstanding retrospective of the entire series. It deserves the eyes of anyone who even remotely enjoyed these games!

???

*I gotta say, I kinda feel for Kratos with the nightmares thing. He's constantly asking "This will get rid of my nightmares, right?" and every time he's told "Well uh, your sins will be forgiven," clearly just glossing this over. So when he does the deed and is like "Whew! No more nightmares, maybe y'all ain't so bad after all" and Athena's like "Whoa whoa whoa, nobody ever said THAT" it's like don't play, YOU KNEW WHAT HE MEANT.

100% this. He got lawyered big time. 

Complete rookie move on Athena's behalf, though. Gonna go ahead and make an enemy of someone who has nothing to lose and everything to gain, and bestow godly powers upon him, and ensure that he knows it was Athena that betrayed him... and, oh yeah, she knew he was capable and willing to kill a god and that he was a loose cannon from the get-go.

Athena thought she was making a pro gamer move but I think we can objectively rule this one as a smooth-brained tactical blunder.

Kratos is that dude who ... starts fights with complete strangers.

You know what? You're totally right on with this. It's a bright neon sign that a bloke is super insecure when he does that and yet Kratos was the 2000s poster boy for machoism in the gaming world. I didn't see it your way until you put it like that, but yeah, he's got an acute case of Small Dick Energy all the way until he's recast in the reboot.

the choir legit sounds like they're singing "PIECE OF SHIT! PIECE OF SHIT, THAT PIECE OF SHIT!"

I knew of the GOW2's "pour kettle, pot of tea" but GOW1's "piece of shit" might be even better. ?

As far as negs, I guess I'd go with the camera angles. Much like the older Resident Evil games, this could make movement in a demanding situation tricky when going from one fixed camera to another.

Aww hell naw, I ain't havin none of that! I LOVE the fixed camera angles in GoW and RE. 

7 hours ago, Copanele said:

There's 3 constants in the GoW series - Angry Kratos, huge bosses and that goddamn captain 1f602.png

It's such a great gag. When you first meet him, I thought, "oh! It's like that?"

And then seeing the callback in Hades just straight away made me giggle. Maybe it's my brain's interpretation but I think the recurring appearance is literally played for the giggle. ? So good.

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

You bash your head against walls, and you're unable to see the tits for the trees.

A quote for your next tattoo? Let's make it happen.

Love it as always.

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

100% this. He got lawyered big time. 

Complete rookie move on Athena's behalf, though. Gonna go ahead and make an enemy of someone who has nothing to lose and everything to gain, and bestow godly powers upon him, and ensure that he knows it was Athena that betrayed him... and, oh yeah, she knew he was capable and willing to kill a god and that he was a loose cannon from the get-go.

Athena thought she was making a pro gamer move but I think we can objectively rule this one as a smooth-brained tactical blunder.

Yeahmann. I mean I know it was supposed to be this forbidden thing for the gods to kill one another but surely if you wanted Ares gone that badly you could have come up with a better plan than that!

You know what? You're totally right on with this. It's a bright neon sign that a bloke is super insecure when he does that and yet Kratos was the 2000s poster boy for machoism in the gaming world. I didn't see it your way until you put it like that, but yeah, he's got an acute case of Small Dick Energy all the way until he's recast in the reboot.

100%. I liked Kratos until I noticed how other men were responding to him in that way - he joined the club of characters like Scarface, Tyler Durden, and Walter White where chads will completely ignore all subtext so they can see "a man who don't take no shit."

Aww hell naw, I ain't havin none of that! I LOVE the fixed camera angles in GoW and RE. 

Haha you're not wrong in the slightest! I was just trying to find something to nitpick really?

A quote for your next tattoo? Let's make it happen.

Love it as always.

7b06f8.jpg

• Like 1