RadiantFlamberge

Remembering Regis Philbin (Who Wants to be a Millionaire)

11 posts in this topic

A year ago on 24 July, we lost one of TV's greatest of all time, Regis Philbin.

I loved him on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He was, and still is, the best out of all who have graced that show. Meredith Vieira, Terry Crews, Cedric the Entertainer, Chris Harrison, and Jimmy Kimmel have been pretty good, but not even close. No one could deliver the show's catchphrase "Let's play Millionaire!" half as well as Regis did. He had that certain spark that the others couldn't quite nail. His other show Million Dollar Password was also amazing.

R.I.P. Regis. You are missed.

I grew up with Chris Tarrant on the uk one, never knew it was in other countries as well

I remember watching this show growing up. The guy who won $1 million dollars drew in a big audience. Game shows had a bit of a renaissance in the early 2000s. Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, the Price is Right, and of course the Game Show Network. 

26 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

I grew up with Chris Tarrant on the uk one, never knew it was in other countries as well

Yeah me too. Chris Tarrant was the best. The show was on briefly in Japan, but of course as you'd expect it didn't do very well. Since everyone here is a millionaire.

1 million yen is only about 6000 pounds or 5000 dollars, there's no tension at all for money that low.

Also, imagine Deal Or No Deal with the top box being 5000 pounds. lol

the chase is the best gameshow, I'm like an old lady when it comes to that

4 hours ago, enaysoft said:

1 million yen is only about 6000 pounds or 5000 dollars, there's no tension at all for money that low.

Also, imagine Deal Or No Deal with the top box being 5000 pounds. lol

That just reminded me of one from when I was in primary school - remember Fifteen to One?

That show had the hardest questions of any gameshow, and was the hardest format to win on, and yet the prize was a fancy pen… and the ‘grand prize’ for the series final was a vase! 😂

didn't even know he died 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:18 PM, LukeTheGooner said:

the chase is the best gameshow, I'm like an old lady when it comes to that

One of my favorites also, thanks to ABC. Sara Haines is a good host, and they have Mark "The Beast" Labbett joining the Jeopardy champions Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, and James Holzhauer. This is one game show I'd like to see get a PS version... if they do one, they should have a "Be The Chaser" mode. Trying to get 20 questions right in 2 minutes sounds like a fun challenge.

This year's Name That Tune on Fox had me hungry for more, so I've been searching episodes of the other NTT series on YouTube. I found an early Tom Kennedy one where Kathie Lee Gifford (Regis' partner from the Live show) sings with the band. Tom Kennedy is awesome... I miss him also. The closing theme reminds me of the one from the Jim Lange version, but with lyrics. Good stuff.

regis philbin Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Rest in peace Regis. He was always entertaining in whatever show he popped up in.

Good ol Regis, always seemed so wholesome.  Was like everyone's grandpa.  Will be missed for sure, RIP.