Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Backlog Challenge

3 hours ago, KimBongUn420 said:

Final Update:

L386b52.png

#141 Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Difficulty 4/10

Grind 3/10

Enjoyment 4/10

So this game gets a very bad rap, for lots of valid reasons.  When it released it could be charitably described as "complete dumpster fire" and 2 years later a substantial portion of the game is still not good.  The UI, in particular, is by far the worst UI of any of the ~200 video games I've played in my lifetime.  It takes up almost 50% of the screen when everything is enabled and the menus are a complete mess.  The first generation of BMW's iDrive is easier to use than this game, no joke.  

The map is a total pain in the ass to get around because the terrain detection is so janky.  The GR devs must have had a sliding fetish bc half the time you traverse you're sliding down rocky hills, until you run out of stamina and start flailing uncontrollably down a hill like a stunt in a Jackass movie.  The easiest way to get around the map is to buy the most expensive helicopter and fly everywhere, which completely defeats the purpose of the large, open world map.  The facial animations look like a PS2 game.

The story is horrible, keeping in fine tradition with previous GR games.  The villain of the main story is entirely forgettable and I'm not sure why all the baddies have horrible southern accents.  Also, gear score makes yet another appearance, since Ubisoft seems hell bent on turning every single one of its open world games into The Division.  At least there's an option to disable gear score for the campaign, although it's still required for the raid.  Speaking of the raid, I didn't do it because I was so burnt out on the game that I didn't want to spend any more time than the 35 hours I put into it.  The Ghost War PvP mode is fine, borderline good even.

The sad thing is, underneath all of the mistakes and crap that Ubisoft put in this game, there remains a very competent shooter with good gun feel and endless customization options.  Had Ubisoft simply iterated on Wildlands, which was a great game, I really thing Breakpoint could have been something good.  The added content that Ubisoft put in the game in an effort to salvage its disastrous launch is pretty decent.  Episode 3 in particular is well done, and the crossovers with other franchises are a reminder of the glory days of Wildlands and previous GR titles.  

The next GR title is rumored to be a Battle Royale which is proof that Ubisoft has no goddamn idea what to do with this franchise.  It also probably marks the end of me playing this series, which is a shame as it's been one of my favorites.  Wish they'd just Old Yeller it like Splinter Cell.  Overall 4.5/10, and the only reason it's that high is the core gameplay is still decent, it's an ok way to mindlessly kill some time, and Ubisoft's fixes and added content since release have taken the game from "LOL KILL IT WITH FIRE" to "deeply mediocre."  An ignoble end for a once-glorious franchise.

Another review of this which makes me 2nd guess playing it. I'm currently doing DLC for Wildlands and can safely say I loved my time with this game albeit a bit grindy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KimBongUn420 said:

I also thought Wildlands was a great game.  Breakpoint is significantly worse and not worth playing unless you're also a huge fan of The Division, imo.  Even at a short-ish 30-35 hr plat, there are too many other good games out there to waste time on it.

Knowing me I will still have a crack at it eventually anyway!!

• Like 2