PS5 impressions?

danistheguy

Been playing it quite a bit until a week or two ago on both PS5 and PS4. 

The load times are certainly still pretty bad but are faster on PS5 than PS4 Pro. Framerate drops/issues were reduced on PS5 in comparison but again could still happen. There's no massive or significant differences between the versions, but given the option the PS5 will slightly reduce the issues so worth playing on there if you can!

Sorry I can't give you better news than that but hope that helps! A funny issue that comes up is that on PS5 some of the levels/missions load faster than the voiced briefing, which then means the character box in the corner won't go away and can stop the mission ending, so you may need to reload if that happens. 

• Like 2

Been playing it for a while on PS5 now. The load time is much improved over PS4 Pro - a lot of the times the combat stage is done with the loading before the chief voice over ends. There are fewer frame drops in general, but still some occur when loading back to the geoscape after a mission.

It's a lot more comfortable to play it on PS5, due to the faster loading, I recommend it. Wish we had a PS5 update but I know that is extremely unlikely. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2021 at 1:10 PM, CoconutChriss said:

How long does loading take from the main menu into an ingame mission save on PS5? On base PS4 it is like 2-3 Minutes. Would be nice to know how fast it is exactly on PS5.

In this thread, I tried some loading times for @Suntropology, whom I’m tagging in case they’re interested in PS5 stats: 

On console storage (not testing additional M.2 storage as it will vary, depending on which you installed), the times I get from a PS5 are pretty much consistent with the ones I get with a PS4 Pro with internal SSD when loading to Geoscape. Otherwise, they’re quite improved (PS5 in bold, PS4 Pro SSD regular):

Launching the game, from dashboard to main menu: 45 / 56-58 sec, might vary a little bit with the MY2K search.

Loading a save to Geoscape, Ironman early game:  no early save left / 27 sec / Ironman late game*: between 55 and a minute / 56 sec and a little bit over a minute.

Loading directly in a mission: 35 sec / around a minute

Starting a mission (from the begin mission option, after team selection): from 32 to 60 sec / a little under 80 sec. (mostly 76-78)

One thing I notice are the graphics: playing on PS5 gives you this eerie feeling of playing last gen on current gen, if it makes sense, like you really notice the upscaling.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Agripino said:

Been playing it for a while on PS5 now. The load time is much improved over PS4 Pro - a lot of the times the combat stage is done with the loading before the chief voice over ends. There are fewer frame drops in general, but still some occur when loading back to the geoscape after a mission.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Murdermanzz said:

The load times are certainly still pretty bad but are faster on PS5 than PS4 Pro. Framerate drops/issues were reduced on PS5 in comparison but again could still happen. There's no massive or significant differences between the versions, but given the option the PS5 will slightly reduce the issues so worth playing on there if you can!

improved over a base PS4 Pro or with a SSD?

19 hours ago, XpanderFX said:

well from tests made, games on ps4 pro (ssd) and ps5 loads the same amount of time, sometimes ps4 pro performs even better. reason i dont upgraded to ps5 yet

Ah fair enough, yeah having an SSD probably bridges the gap pretty well. It was unbearable to play on base PS4 Pro with the load times haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, no, my Pro had no SSD. I loaded XCOM 2 on PS5 initially in the same external SSD I had on Pro and already noticed faster load times, them I moved it to the internal SSD on PS5 for an extra bit of time saving. It's not perfect but it's much more playable, makes reloads sting a little less. I remember I could read an entire page of a book on my phone before this, now I can barely get a few paragraphs in.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...