Damcrac5's Backlog - 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

damcrac5

Welcome, glad to see someone who came from a PC gaming background!  What did you play on PC before coming back to trophy hunting?

If you made it through the DLC for UC4 you’ve gotten through the hard part (or so I’ve heard, I need to do that).  I’d recommend going through the single player games in order.

Any tips on the survival mode?  Did you find some good boosting partners?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Welcome, glad to see someone who came from a PC gaming background!  What did you play on PC before coming back to trophy hunting?

If you made it through the DLC for UC4 you’ve gotten through the hard part (or so I’ve heard, I need to do that).  I’d recommend going through the single player games in order.

Any tips on the survival mode?  Did you find some good boosting partners?

Thanks for the welcome!   I played a lot of games like Path of Exile, World of Warships and shooters(I'm way better with a mouse and keynoard). I have a GTX 1080 TI and a monitor that can run 1440p at 165hz, so I enjoy the faster framerate gameplay. The PS5 running games at 60 fps and 4k made me make the jump back. 

For survival mode, I definitely got a carry. If you look on the boosting sessions there is a guy who is helping people get through it and he carried me and another newb through all 10 stages. They have a little chat group with a couple people that are helping. 

Based on what you've said, I think ill hold off on running through the campaign for 4 until I run the first 3.  Then I can add Golden Abyss and the new one for the complete series. 

Edited by damcrac5

2 hours ago, funboy1246 said:

as far as uncharted goes. thats really up to you. out of the uncharted games i believe 4 to be the easiest plat by far but it is a series that i believe one should play in order.

Sounds great. I will look to add the uncharted trilogy to my backlog soon so I can play them in order. I have enjoyed all the Playstation exclusives so far, and this one shouldn't be any different. Thanks for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I saw this on Reddit once and figured it would be appropriate for your thread....

I sure hope it's true!  I am looking forward to so many games on my list and it is a great feeling. Hundreds, if not thousands of hours of games in front of me.  It is borderline intimidating, lol.

Edited by damcrac5

1 minute ago, damcrac5 said:

I sure hope it's true!  I am looking forward to so many games on my list and it is a great feeling. Hundreds, if not thousands of hours of games in front of me.  It is borderline intimidating, lol.

Personally I’m sort of conflicted in my feelings towards the backlog. Like you I love having so many awesome games to look forward to, but I tend to add new games a lot faster than I can finish them which means it feels like I’m never making any progress - and that sort of bugs me! I like the sense of progress that comes with whittling down a pile of games or the trophies in a list. That feeling of infinity is indeed intimidating lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Personally I’m sort of conflicted in my feelings towards the backlog. Like you I love having so many awesome games to look forward to, but I tend to add new games a lot faster than I can finish them which means it feels like I’m never making any progress - and that sort of bugs me! I like the sense of progress that comes with whittling down a pile of games or the trophies in a list. That feeling of infinity is indeed intimidating lol.

Your post sums up the name of my thread perfectly. I finish a game and seem to replace it with a couple more. I really want to finish off God of War 1 and 2 for Vita so I'd have a plat in every GoW title, but that's two more games that aren't currently in the backlog lol.  

Realistically, I might not get around to games like Until Dawn, or Days Gone because they were free, and I've paid for so many others and plan to buy so much more. Doesn't help when PS+ throws in a game like Plague tale in there. Easy/enjoyable plats always derail my backlog progress. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

Thanks for the welcome!   I played a lot of games like Path of Exile, World of Warships and shooters(I'm way better with a mouse and keynoard). I have a GTX 1080 TI and a monitor that can run 1440p at 165hz, so I enjoy the faster framerate gameplay. The PS5 running games at 60 fps and 4k made me make the jump back.

Similar story for me - shooter games I’m just so much better with KBM so I tend to gravitate to PC for those titles.  Other games that play best with a controller I’m just picking up on PS5 moving forward.  My trophy list is a lot of Sony exclusives, and then console exclusives, and a handful of titles I experimented with buying instead of the PC version.  Cleaning those trophies up now, it’s pretty fun.

12 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

Your post sums up the name of my thread perfectly. I finish a game and seem to replace it with a couple more. I really want to finish off God of War 1 and 2 for Vita so I'd have a plat in every GoW title, but that's two more games that aren't currently in the backlog lol.  

Realistically, I might not get around to games like Until Dawn, or Days Gone because they were free, and I've paid for so many others and plan to buy so much more. Doesn't help when PS+ throws in a game like Plague tale in there. Easy/enjoyable plats always derail my backlog progress. 

I started with a rule in my trophy backlog - if I paid money for it it goes close to the top of the pile.  And don’t think of clearing your backlog or earning the platinum trophy as the ultimate goal, rather as something to keep you motivated on your journey to play games!

• Like 2

True to the title of this thread, yesterday I took 1 step forward, but 3 steps back, lol.  I found out that the Sly Cooper Trilogy for the Vita was not available digitaly(only the 4th game), so I panic purchased the physical version off Ebay.  Don't want the price getting jacked up the next time Sony hints at shutting the store down again.  While the game is available for the PS3, I felt it just feels like a great game to play on Vita.

I did manage to finish Diablo 3 and it's expansion last night.  While I used the help of Optinoob to help save me a ton of time, I really wanted this game on my profile since I played it so much at release on PC.  It took me back, grinding through all the bounties.  Though I think if it were Rifts instead of bounties, it would've been more productive towards improving a character but it would've taken more time.

Overall, I think I swapped out a 18-hour D3 completion for about 30-40 hours of Sly cooper, so about a 2-1 ratio of gameplay, true to the thread.  Next up will be my 36th platinum.  I'm working on Jedi: Fallen Order, but can hold off the plat if I should make it something like Horizon: Zero Dawn or Spider-Man Remastered.  Let me know what you think!

I'll update the original post to show monthly completions and additions to the log for quick reference.

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1614960636

Gameplay: 8/10

Trophies: 6.5/10

Second Completion of the month was a fun one.  Well, all but the last 3-4 hours of it.  Fallen Order was a pleasant surprise.  This game was on my to do list, but got the bump up in priority due to it receiving a PS5 upgrade.  The story was enjoyable, the combat style rewarding/punishing.  I played on Jedi Knight difficulty, the second from the bottom and felt it was about right for me.  I would take a handful or more tries on the major bosses and work my way through the normal chain of non-boss opponents without a struggle.  This was a decent balance of difficulty to enjoyment.  The only downfall to the game was the collectible/100% map trophies done at the end.  While I followed a great video guide by Platinum Chasers, I still had a couple of spots where I had to find a platform or two to fill out the exploration. Some call this a soul's like game, which makes me wonder if it is something I should play on a higher difficulty before jumping into Demon Souls.  Wonder if the Master or Grandmaster difficulties are comparable or not.

Quick Summary:  Must play for any star wars fans.   At around 30 hours and 1 playthrough, it was an easy journey, that becomes effortless if you play on the easiest difficulty.  Glad to add it to my profile and look forward to Fallen Order 2!

• Like 1

So I couldn't hold back and I just added a ton of games to my backlog.  I purchased every Ratchet & Clank game for PS3.  I know own every title in the R&C series that offer trophies to include the Vita duplicate stacks.  Reason why I bought this. I am looking at getting a new TV with 4k 120hz capabilities, the LG OLED C1, and would want to play Rift Apart at it's 4k 40fps mode.  However, before I can do that, as a series completionist, I didn't want to play the end first.  So naturally, I spent around $50 and purchased the Original Trilogy, Crack in Time, Into the Nexus and Full Frontal Assault(Which was cross buy and included the game Deadlocked).  I'm only missing Tools of Destruction for all of the main games in the series.  This is obviously a lot of game play, but I'll look to do one at a time between other games so spread them out but so far, I've enjoyed my first hour or so of R&C1.

I also purchased Ultra Mission for the PS Vita since it was one of the last games released for the Vita.  It is a super easy/quick platinum, but I wanted to support the developer and the message for the platinum trophy makes it worth it.

Unfortunately, I think I will remove Minecraft from my backlog.  Apparently there is some weird kind of bug or version issue that prevents people from being able to do DLC packs 2 and 5.  When I opened Minecraft, I did not have the game mode required available to access.  The possible solution requires purchasing an original release version of the game, and even then that doesn't seem to be a 100% solution.  I can afford it, but as I have a lot in my backlog with other games I'd like to purchase, it might not get the opportunity.  I was hoping to add this game to my list as I have started playing it (on an alt account) split screen with my son, so having it in my gaming history would be valuable to me, and thus a reason to spend the money for it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've encorporated PSNP+ into my backlog spoiler tags to show Picture/Title/# of Trophies/Rarity

Edited by damcrac5

• 2 weeks later...

i0hkgHT.jpg

The backlog has grown over the past 2 weeks.  This time it is in physical format. 

Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection

I caved on the Uncharted collection as I have some trophies on U4 but would like to play the series in order to experience it properly, so for $15 new, this was an easy find.  

MLB The Show 14

Trophy list is all offline and I can add an MLB title to my vita collection.  $30, but it was an acceptable answer to MLB15 no longer being available on the vita store.  Only trophy I see being a problem is the 10 pitch at-bat.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Minecraft

I have this on digital, but it does not give me access to the DLC packs 2 and 5, so hopefully I can use the workaround and get access to those trophies.  I decided I really wanted this game on the list as I've been playing with my son on a spare account.

NCAA Football 11

I don't think I've played  a college football game on console since before this title and thought it'd be fun (and easy) to knock this one out as it doesn't have any online trophies.

Madden NFL 11

Yes, that's a 360 disc, but the seller already has the PS3 version I ordered in the mail.  Another easy plat(Ultra rare at that) that would complete the EA football titles for 2011.  Both don't need online servers for trophies.  Went ahead.

I'm currently working on the crushing difficulty playthrough on Uncharted Golden Abyss.  Really liking the game, should have it done over the weekend.  Also, I've been working on Ratchet and Clank 1 PS3 here and there as well.  I'll focus it down after Golden Abyss, as well as Full Frontal Assault since I jumped in a boosting thread for the online trophies.  Need to get my completion percentage back up after having 4 games that are sub 50%.  Hope to post back in a couple of days!

• Like 1

ZV94Pxe.jpg

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)

Plat Difficulty: 3/10

Time to Plat: 30-35hrs

Collectible Rating:  Assassins Creed Bad!

My first real experience with Nathan Drake and the Uncharted series.  I have now added Uncharted to the series completion list along with Ratchet & Clank, Mass Effect, and Sly Cooper.  What added to this games enjoyable storyline was how I could use the Vita's motion sensor to aim my weapon.  Just needed to get the gun sight in the right ball park, then a slight twist of the wrists to be able to precisely aim.  This led to being able to accumulate over 600 Head shots by the time I completed the game.  Only downfall to the game was the need for a collectibles guide as there are a ton of them.  They each had their own little story, which made them not completely pointless.

For the platinum, you just need to do a Hard run and Crushing run, which were made much easier due to those motion controls.  I only had to do about 4 hours of farming post crushing for things such as bounties and the weapons kills.  You could likely cut off about half of that if you focus a little more on the weapons during your playthroughs.

VVLNrVW.jpg

Next up?  Time to finish 2002 Ratchet & Clank for PS3 and Full Frontal Assault on Vita in time to start the Fall/Winter Backlog Challenge.  First game for that competition will likely be a combination of Minecraft (if I can get the editions mode to work with my just arrived disc ps5) and Horizon: Zero Dawn with its new 60fps patch for PS5.  I was really hoping for HZD to get this patch, and was willing to wait until closer to Forbidden West to do it.  Very excited to get started!

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

August Backlog Update

Backlog Additions: 22

Completions: 5

August was a very fun month.  Finishing off Diablo 3, then working through Fallen Order, Ultra Mission (RIP Vita), Uncharted Golden Abyss, and finishing the month off with Ratchet & Clank on PS3.  4 non-quick games and one tribute to the vita.  My backlog, however, grew a ton!  I purchased the entire Ratchet & Clank series for PS3, while already owning the first 3 for vita...  I then decided to jump on the Sly Cooper series on Vita and added it to the list.  Since I was in the mood to work on completing series, I snagged the 2 God of War titles for Vita as well.  I went ahead and added the 3 Uncharted remasters since I found a boosting session for the DLC on Uncharted 4 (which is very hard and long to do legit), and wanted to play the first three before playing the campaign for 4.  

Right at the end of the month, I picked up Maneater from my local library (yay free/paid by taxes), and started to play it since it was on my backlog and there was an upcoming DLC.  However, it seems the DLC may have glitched a lot of trophies.  I'm about 4 hours in, and have replayed the beginning multiple times and I can't get several of the first trophies to pop.  Thankfully (???) this happened at it's initial release and was patched, so I'm hoping they will be able to fix it again, as my 100% is counting on it!

On a side note, I also snagged Returnal from the library and have dabbled on an alt account to see if I had the ability to actually play the game.  It is pretty difficult for me.  I've only dropped an hour into it, so I know there is still a lot of getting used to the mechanics going forward, but wow... it is an incredible game.  If there was a game to break 100% on my account, this might be it.  Maybe I'll be able to plat it!

September Goals

Since I am going to put Maneater aside until they patch the trophies, I have to change directions.  At this point, I think I am going to step back to the PS3 and work on the Ratchet & Clank 2.  Couple of reasons.  I wanted to alternate between PS4/5 titles and the R&C series to slowly work through them and not burn out on it.  Second, they are part of the Fall/Winter backlog challenge I have signed up for (list will be below).  Lastly, I ordered a 65" LG C1 OLED TV...  It is going to be incredible.  First game up on it will be Horizon: Zero Dawn or Spider-Man Remastered.  It will come in about a week and a half, which is a solid amount of time for me to work on R&C 2 as well as MLB 14 The Show of Vita!  

Real question is can I go a month without growing the backlog?

List for games I hope to complete over the next 6 months, per the Fall/Winter Backlog Challenge: Let me know what you think of my selections!

1. Man Eater (PS5) - 4%
  2. MLB 14 The Show (VITA) - 32% (Not sync'd but am at 7/22 Trophies)
  3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  4. Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando (PS3)
  5. Uncharted Drake's Fortune: Remastered
  6. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
  7. Madden 22 (PS4)
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
  9. Madden 11 (PS3)
  10. Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
  11. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered
  12. Spyro
  13. Spyro 2
  14. Spyro 3
  15. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered
  16. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
  17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  18. Ratchet & Clank: All-4-One (PS3)
  19. The Wolf Among Us (PS3)
  20. Game of Thrones (PS4)
  21. Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3)
  22. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  23. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus (Vita)
  24. Sly Cooper 2: Band of Thieves (Vita)
  25. Sly Cooper 3: Honor Among Thieves (Vita)
  26. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (Vita)

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 3

That's a lot of Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted!  I've found the best way for a plan to go wrong is to put it to paper, haha.

However, that looks like a ton of fun, and I'm hyped for what you think of HZD when you get to it.  It's one of my favorites and I almost platted it across two accounts.  I need to finish up the 100% myself but am waiting until closer to the release of the sequel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

That's a lot of Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted!  I've found the best way for a plan to go wrong is to put it to paper, haha.

However, that looks like a ton of fun, and I'm hyped for what you think of HZD when you get to it.  It's one of my favorites and I almost platted it across two accounts.  I need to finish up the 100% myself but am waiting until closer to the release of the sequel.

I already see flaws in my plan, lol.  I forgot I won a copy of Control Ultimate Edition for PS5 from a YouTube stream I watched, so that will need to go in there somewhere. That may or may not be what I use the Tale Tell games or spyro games for my swaps. 

I'm very excited for HZD with the 60 fps patch.  I was hoping they'd release it and the wait has paid off. I gave it a test run after I beat GoW 2018, but the 30 fps was really noticeable.  So I decided to hope for the best and delay until release of Forbidden West. Now I don't have an excuse!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:07 AM, damcrac5 said:
  • The Wolf Among Us (PS3)
  • Game of Thrones (PS4)

The Wolf Among us is probably the best TellTale game out there, but while Game of Thrones is pretty strait forward and easy, might be the worst haha.

That list though is almost like PS best hits in a nutshell. Are you going to play them in that order? Horizon Zero Dawn is such an awesome game.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 4:40 AM, damcrac5 said:

Realistically, I might not get around to games like Until Dawn, or Days Gone because they were free

Would definitely recommend playing it at some point, it ended up being one of my favourite PS4 games. As far as "interactive movie" type games it's the best in my opinion

Edited by MD_91
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

The Wolf Among us is probably the best TellTale game out there, but while Game of Thrones is pretty strait forward and easy, might be the worst haha.

That list though is almost like PS best hits in a nutshell. Are you going to play them in that order? Horizon Zero Dawn is such an awesome game.

The idea is to play them in about that order.  I have stopped Maneater because the trophies seem to be glitched.  I'm working on MLB 14 on the Vita during work breaks so it is a bit slow at making progress, but I am getting closer.  I would have started Horizon Zero Dawn but I have about a 2 weeks until the new TV comes in, so I jumped ahead to R&C2.  Hopefully get back on track once I start Horizon and Maneater gets patched up(one can hope!)   Yeah, GoT is low on the priority list, and is potentially a the first title I swap out for the Backlog Event.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, MD_91 said:

Would definitely recommend playing it at some point, it ended up being one of my favourite PS4 games. As far as "interactive movie" type games it's the best in my opinion

I really do want to play Until Dawn because it has so many strong recommendations.  Might be a game that I jump into just to break up the monotony of playing the 3 or 4 series that I have on my to do list.  Instead of another R&C or Uncharted game, I'll jump on one of them just to change it up.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

L60d848.png

Got the completion on MLB 14 The Show. My second "The Show" plat and the first on the Vita.  Definitely need to manipulate sliders and play stats to even have a chance at this game. Needing to get a HR, Triple, and two doubles in a single game by specific player would take ages to get legit, even on rookie difficulty. With that said, I actually had a ton of fun after tweaking the settings, essentially making it a homeowner derby.  I'm excited to have it in my library to play on the go.

Next up is inFamous Second Son.  Just finished the storyline on playthrough one.   Hoping to finish the plat off by weekends end.  So far, I've avoided growing the backlog too much. I won the copy of Control Ultimate Edition but caved and picked up Dark Souls for $44.  Nothing special, but another title I really want to get through. One of my first difficult plats I want to earn. Question is if I should follow Optinooby or Platinum Chasers guide as a first time souls player. I'm not so skilled these days but want the challenge. 

Hopefully I can get some more updates coming. Been busy around the house renovating the yard and touching up some light repair work. Should get some more time at gaming soon!

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

L14bfb5.png

First of two completions for the post.  I had purchased a PS4 around release but eventually traded it in for an X-box One S? for the ability to play 4k movies.  In the short time I did have/use the PS4, I had spun up Second Son and played a small amount.  I must have been offline because no trophies popped but my PSN app shows an hour of playtime.  So I decided to jump into the game and see what it was about.  I wasn't overly excited about playing it, thinking I'd run it a bit along with R&C 2 to keep things mixed up.  I think that really affected my opinion of the game to start.  I wasn't enjoying it too much and looked forward to getting it out of the way. However, the more I played, the more I started to enjoy it, and the second playthrough with Evil Karma was a blast and I was tempted to go purchase First Light, lol.  I held off and moved onto Kena as my new OLED TV came in the day after getting the plat.  So it only made sense to play a PS5 game instead. 

Lc40a1d.png

Think I've mentioned this before, but I wanted to get this done since it is a game I play with my son.  Having been able to succesfully trick the game into letting me play DLCs 2 and 5, I finally got around to jumping in a trophy world to knock out the rest.  Add 2 hours there plus about 28 hours idling while I was sleeping or at work and I've got it finished up.  I was initially worried about the PS5 and overheating, but after the two hours of actually playing it in a busy trophy world, there was no heat coming out of the PS5 compared to when I play Kena so I was satisfied that I wasn't hurting anything.   That and we keep our house between 72-74 degrees.  Another strange statistical side benefit is the number of ultra rare trophies in the list.  out of the 130 trophies, 6 are ultra rare with a 7th on the verge.  Not that pressing a button in a created world means anything, but if Ultra rare torphies are your thing, easy 2 hours for 5 of the 6.

Its been a bit since I last updated this thread.  To be honest, I've been a couple of posts a week in the Fall/Winter Backlog challenge, which has made it less of a priority to post here.  That thread brings me much more interaction with my gaming and the PSNP community.  However, I do want to keep a blog? style collection of my thoughts and experience gaming and maybe someone will open my eyes to other gaming options or just casual conversation.  I've also updated the original post to trim some fat.  There were several games that while I would like to have them done, they are stacks that I don't see myself pursuing before every other game on the list.  I.e. R&C for vita.  I'd be more encouraged to knock them out if I could play it on my vita TV with a controller.  God of War, on the other hand, is going to be stacked up.  Here's to hoping they don't do something crazy like add a uber difficulty challenge in Ragnarok against a foe like the Valk Queen in the PS4 game.     

• Like 2

L6a1c5d.png

Completed this beauty of a game.  The only drawback is that the platinum "requires" a run on Master Spirit Guide difficulty.  I was able to utilize the exploit because of the worry I wasn't going to be good enough to earn it, lol.  I have started a playthrough on Master difficulty as I see DLC in the future and I wouldn't put it past them to include a Master difficulty related trophy.  I am starting it now so that way I have a maxed out Kena ready to roll.  Plus, I really enjoyed the game and even though I'm dieing to some non-boss or mini-boss battles, I am learning the combat more and it is becoming a fun challenge.  Maybe I'll regret having the timestamp so close, but I will know that I got it done in the long run with a save to prove it.

Next up, is to finish off Sly Cooper for the Vita and get back into Ratchet & Clank 2.  I'll continue the Sly games on Vita and then look towards Horizon Zero Dawn with the 60fps patch plus the latest patch that had address a lot of stability issues.  Some great gaming ahead, and I hope they can be at least half as good as the time I had with Kena, a $40 game that I would gladly have paid full price for.  Maybe I'll double take the physical version on it's release in November.  

Edit:  I might add Overcooked: All you can eat to the backlog since it seems like it is a game my son enjoyed last night and a platinum I think we could earn together. I'll give it another night with him to see if he is ready to make that commitment, lol.

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 2