Why is Everything so Time Consuming in this Game?

MiloFPS

this game, to me, highlights the chasm between playing a game for fun and playing a game for trophies

this is one of those games that had an incredible story (Sadie Adler's character progression was my favorite).. but the horrific online mode and the abysmal trophy requirements/animal spawn rates left an unforgettable, dismal aftertaste that will forever negatively taint my opinion of this game

this game took me 2 year and 3 months to complete. my longest plat time as of now. I'd endured the overly pretentious (under the guise of realism), obnoxiously repetitive hunting/fetch quest simulator that had been erroneously branded as red dead redemption 2. my PS5 system told me I'd played for 479 hours. that's a lie. it felt like 3 consecutive life sentences 

even in my triumph I was robbed of any intrinsic feeling of accomplishment, because my digital copy didn't allow me the psychological satisfaction of snapping the disc in half, or throwing it like a frisbee into the nearest landfill

• Like 3

9 hours ago, willmill97 said:

My mate's dad's son's mate works at Rockstar and I can confirm RDR3 will include trophies for gold medalling every single mission, scanning all missable animals and collecting all missable weapons. 

Who?  Jesus Christ I need to draw that out as a picture to try and determine who the hell works at Rockstar that you know through a friend.

1 minute ago, HondaHoe said:

this game, to me, highlights the chasm between playing a game for fun and playing a game for trophies

this is one of those games that had an incredible story (Sadie Adler's character progression was my favorite).. but the horrific online mode and the abysmal trophy requirements/animal spawn rates left an unforgettable, dismal aftertaste that will forever negatively taint my opinion of this game

this game took me 2 year and 3 months to complete. my longest plat time as of now. I'd endured the overly pretentious (under the guise of realism), obnoxiously repetitive hunting/fetch quest simulator that had been erroneously branded as red dead redemption 2. my PS5 system told me I'd played for 479 hours. that's a lie. it felt like 3 consecutive life sentences 

even in my triumph I was robbed of any intrinsic feeling of accomplishment, because my digital copy didn't allow me the psychological satisfaction of snapping the disc in half, or throwing it like a frisbee into the nearest landfill

This is a legendary post.

11 minutes ago, LegendExeter said:

Who?  Jesus Christ I need to draw that out as a picture to try and determine who the hell works at Rockstar that you know through a friend.

This is a legendary post.

Lol, I felt the same except wouldn’t your mate’s dad’s son simply be your mate’s brother (or half-brother maybe).  Seems he made it overly complicated or what am I missing?

For RDR2, I enjoyed the multiplayer experience as it all could be earned naturally by just playing the game.  As opposed to Uncharted 2/3 or Max Payne 3 where you needed boosting groups for convoluted trophy scenarios.  And more ridiculous XP requirements for MP3 like grinding out the same chapter for countless hours, no thanks. 

I largely had a solo experience in RDR2 multiplayer by doing collectibles, bounties, daily challenges etc. and it was enjoyable.  

I have no plans to go for the platinum with every animal studied or whatever but that is another story.  That is more on the trophy lost than the game itself.

15 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Lol, I felt the same except wouldn’t your mate’s dad’s son simply be your mate’s brother (or half-brother maybe).  Seems he made it overly complicated or what am I missing?

Wouldn’t his friend’s Dad’s son’s friend be willmill97 himself? Cheeky bastard. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild

5 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

casual? are you dumb? so many missions were fucking impossible, like breaking that asshole out of prison, you start with absolutely nothing and the only things you can get to help you, you pick up. and since you need to nail nearly all headshots, and all the enemies are on horseback and you have no way to replenish the cm of deadeye u have lol. it's damn near impossible on retries, and many missions were like that. i'm not saying the game was too hard, since you could just back up your save before the mission, so many missions were damn near impossible, like that god damn takedown you have to do on the train, getting 70 missions golded wasn't that hard, but we're not talking about the game being difficult.

we're talking about rockstar, taking immense pleasure, in openly wasting our time. with pointless unnessercary shit like having to back up your save before every mission and doing it 3-5 times to advance instead of just coming back to do the gold objectives you missed out on. if your that sweaty gta dude who spends all day #1 on gta mp i wouldn't imagine the game would be too difficult, but imagine if you will, someone who hates gta games because of the human refuse the mp attracts and the game in general not being worth playing.

Yo man I really don’t want to argue with you about this. I’m not some crazy gamer but I get hooked on certain games and play them well past trophies. I’m definitely not a hardcore GTA fan by any means. I just really love RDR. There are 107 missions in the singleplayer and you only have to gold 70 of them. This leaves you with a ton of flexibility and choice with the missions you want to tackle when going through replay. I personally found the first 58ish gold medals to be very simple and then things got a bit tougher as I got closer and closer to 70. I apologize for coming off aggressively toward you in this thread. I really shouldn’t have responded that way.

I’ve said this before, but I just get tired of people on this site complaining about things rather than embracing the challenge and trying to improve. Maybe it’s partly because I used to be a high school math teacher and there seems to be a widespread mindset in my country of not being a “math person.” As soon as you self-label yourself as “not a math person” then the rest of your math career is probably going to be a struggle because you don’t have the desire and belief to push yourself to succeed. I’m not even what most people would consider a “math person” because I didn’t major or minor in math in college. I was an Ancient Greek history major but I just happen to have a deep love and respect for applied mathematics. Theoretical math is what true mathematicians do and the vast majority of people have no idea what that entails unless they’ve considered majoring or minoring math, but it requires an entirely differently level of abstract conceptual understanding.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 4:22 AM, TheArcadeKid said:

It's Rockstar's Shenmue. A technical milestone and highly regarded in its time, but give it 10 years and the only people who'll appreciate it are the ones who enjoyed it back in the day.

For my part, the glacial pace of RDR2 stopped me from even getting through the main campaign. For all Shenmue's slowness, at least it's compact. RDR2 is a sprawling nightmare in comparison.

Did something change between the original and the sequel? I still regard Red Dead Redemption 1 as one of the best games I ever played. The story, atmosphere, characters, gameplay and pacing were all brilliant.

RDR2 just sounds like Rockstar made everything too big, too slow. Like with where Assassin's Creed has been going lately.

6 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Did something change between the original and the sequel? I still regard Red Dead Redemption 1 as one of the best games I ever played. The story, atmosphere, characters, gameplay and pacing were all brilliant.

RDR2 just sounds like Rockstar made everything too big, too slow. Like with where Assassin's Creed has been going lately.

The difference, as it was explained to me by a friend of mine who is a big RDR fan, is that RDR2 is to RDR as GTAIV is to San Andreas.

More detailed, more nuanced, grander, richer - but slower, more animation heavy, with more focus on realism and less on cartoonish fun.

That advice was what made me steer clear of RDR2 - but if that is the path it took, then it means RDR3 could end up being a great 'splitting of the difference' - since GTAV could be considered to be, mechanically, the best of both previous games in its series.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I only ever played about an hour of the original RDR - I never actually owned it, one of my flatmates just turned up with it one day. But even then, I remember the game moving much faster than RDR2, right down to character movement. I suppose RDR2 is a natural evolution of the realism that Rockstar often veers towards - like the "eating" and "muscle" mechanics in San Andreas. None of it's actually very fun, but it seems to be how Rockstar likes to experiment from time to time.

Personally the only Red Dead I liked was the very first one, Revolver. But that's a very different game from the sequels, beyond the setting.

1 minute ago, TheArcadeKid said:

I only ever played about an hour of the original RDR - I never actually owned it, one of my flatmates just turned up with it one day. But even then, I remember the game moving much faster than RDR2, right down to character movement. I suppose RDR2 is a natural evolution of the realism that Rockstar often veers towards - like the "eating" and "muscle" mechanics in San Andreas. None of it's actually very fun, but it seems to be how Rockstar likes to experiment from time to time.

Personally the only Red Dead I liked was the very first one, Revolver. But that's a very different game from the sequels, beyond the setting.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of these companies veering towards realism. It's one thing if you're going to make a compelling story such as the one in the Last of Us. But what these games need to provide is thrilling, awesome gameplay, first and foremost.

I look at games like Days Gone, RDR2, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and some others to cater to a completely different audience than the one I'm accustomed to. If you loved shows like HBOs Game of Thrones or AMCs The Walking Dead, these are the games for you. And you can tell they're trying to be like the movies and dramatic tv shows now.

San Andreas, in many respects, was far and away not realism. There was a lot of cartoonish appeal with it, same with Red Dead Revolver. Some of the dialog and much of the gameplay didn't age well. It was hard for me not to notice the choppy movement and block like vehicles when I was playing thru San Andreas.

RDR2 was clearly aimed at a audience that watches a lot of HBO and Netflix, instead of the audience that grew up with gaming, myself included.

It's why I generally think games like Vanquish are fun more enjoyable and thrilling. RDR2 may have an awesome story and great cast of characters, but it sounds like the game is veering too far into realism.

• Like 1

To be honest, I exaggerated with spending 5 hours on 4 homesteads. It was more like 3 and a half since I tend to pause halfway to have dinner and watch some sports. I hit a rock in the middle of nowhere and had no horse reviver which meant walking into town until I could find someone's horse to rob, which hits the honour you need to keep high, then I robbed the old lady and had to sleep in camp several times before her family spawned so that the locker box with the valuables spawned as well which took longer. The game is too compelling to just put down. I did stop to hunt along the way and have three different squirrels and a condor all killed and skinned so at least that's something.

Edited by MiloFPS

32 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

Everyone complaining how slow it is and here I’m just waiting for a ps5 trophy list so I can play it all over again1f605.png

If this game gets released on PS5, I’m not touching it unless the platinum auto pops

There are plenty of games out there with fast gameplay, short stories, skippable cutscenes, etc. already. If this is what you want, you're clearly playing the wrong game. RDR2 may be "slow" to most people, but it's not a game to rush through. The single player campaign is one of the best and most immersive gaming experiences I've had, and IMO it beats RDR1 in most aspects (and I love the first game as well).

That said, I understand the complaints related to some of the collectibles. I ended wanting to punch that guy in Saint Denis that made me search for those damn orchids. 

• Like 2

So far over 8 days of play time in story mode alone. I’m so happy that this game has never been a grind for me because I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! ALL OF IT!! 

I have 2 trophies left. Before I even started to go for the 100% trophy, I was at 90% just from playing it so much and doing everything that came up and studying/skinning everything I saw. I’m at 98.5% right now. But, going to do the gold missions first because I want the platinum to pop while breaking a wild horse, which is the last challenge I have to do.  With PS5’s auto record function for trophies, it’ll be a nice little video. 

I might also decide to make it platinum #100. I had been saving The Evil Within Japan import for that spot, but, really leaning for RDR2 instead as I get closer to 100. 

The great thing about the so called grind of this game, is it’s what makes the platinum ultra rare and I don't have a lot of those, so I’ll take them when I can. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, I-Reaped-U said:

So far over 8 days of play time in story mode alone. I’m so happy that this game has never been a grind for me because I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! ALL OF IT!! 

I have 2 trophies left. Before I even started to go for the 100% trophy, I was at 90% just from playing it so much and doing everything that came up and studying/skinning everything I saw. I’m at 98.5% right now. But, going to do the gold missions first because I want the platinum to pop while breaking a wild horse, which is the last challenge I have to do.  With PS5’s auto record function for trophies, it’ll be a nice little video. 

I might also decide to make it platinum #100. I had been saving The Evil Within Japan import for that spot, but, really leaning for RDR2 instead as I get closer to 100. 

The great thing about the so called grind of this game, is it’s what makes the platinum ultra rare and I don't have a lot of those, so I’ll take them when I can. 

Good luck.

On 3.8.2021 at 0:25 PM, Mr_Stkrdknmiblz said:

I was playing Yakuza 0 when this first released and I couldn’t stand how slow and dated RDR2 felt in comparison.  Every tiny detail they rammed into the game irritated me to point where I sold it off soon after starting it.

Honestly, after Yakuza 1 & 2 they just started adding more and more unnecessary sidestuff and generally making the exp process worse (3 and 4 were alright in that regard still). Like in 0 you're pretty much pushed to do the awfully dull Cabaret Club (thanks to it lasting hours and you're basically repeating the same process from minute one) and Kiryu's Estate Management aka afk while waiting. After that you probably want to multiply your cash with mr. shakedown or something. It's also pretty evident with Kiwami 1's unnecessary and conflicting Majima Everywhere system or 6's TERRIBLE exp system (granted, exp aside it really cut down on other tedious nonsense, leaving it completely optional)

Also, while 5 was a slog as well, 0's million talking heads segments where lot is said in text but nothing happens was just really, really tedious at times.

RDR2 on the other hand is actually very straight forward with no side stuff actually needed to get on, especially because of the $2500 you get from the early bank heist (but I still think the bounty system and the bounty from busting Micah out is insane) but it is a longwinded game and funnily enough, still suffers pitfalls like leaving a huge chunk of the characters without much do in the story and they're just basically props (basically every woman character, save for Adler - Kieran, Javier, Bill, O'Dirscoll, Sean... Hell, even Abigail and Jack - though Abigail has always been pretty insufferable).

Still though, I'd much rather play RDR1 again over this as it has better story and message on top of being more "gamey".

I thought the game was a masterpiece. Technically maybe the best game I've ever played. The story was exceptional, the gameplay was fun and challenging, the graphics were stunningly beautiful and the level of realism was entirely appropriate to what R* were trying to achieve.

There is a disparity between how fantastic the game is and how much of a pain in the arse the trophy list is. Many of the trophies are extremely grindy and the RNG seems to be deliberately engineered to be awkward. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herbalistiikka said:

Honestly, after Yakuza 1 & 2 they just started adding more and more unnecessary sidestuff and generally making the exp process worse (3 and 4 were alright in that regard still). Like in 0 you're pretty much pushed to do the awfully dull Cabaret Club (thanks to it lasting hours and you're basically repeating the same process from minute one) and Kiryu's Estate Management aka afk while waiting. After that you probably want to multiply your cash with mr. shakedown or something. It's also pretty evident with Kiwami 1's unnecessary and conflicting Majima Everywhere system or 6's TERRIBLE exp system (granted, exp aside it really cut down on other tedious nonsense, leaving it completely optional)

Also, while 5 was a slog as well, 0's million talking heads segments where lot is said in text but nothing happens was just really, really tedious at times.

RDR2 on the other hand is actually very straight forward with no side stuff actually needed to get on, especially because of the $2500 you get from the early bank heist (but I still think the bounty system and the bounty from busting Micah out is insane) but it is a longwinded game and funnily enough, still suffers pitfalls like leaving a huge chunk of the characters without much do in the story and they're just basically props (basically every woman character, save for Adler - Kieran, Javier, Bill, O'Dirscoll, Sean... Hell, even Abigail and Jack - though Abigail has always been pretty insufferable).

Still though, I'd much rather play RDR1 again over this as it has better story and message on top of being more "gamey".

0 is the only Yakuza i've played, and it was hysterical and a lot of fun to platinum (I should get around to doing it on this account at some point).  I'd take the cabaret club over managing cores and gun/horse maintenance any day haha.