Rumor: PSVR 2 or Next Gen-VR Specs Leaked

MikeCheck--

• Referred to as NGVR by Sony (next gen VR) - not PSVR 2

• Will use Fresnel OLED screens with a 2000x2040 resolution per eye

• 4K HDR display

• FOV is 110 degrees

• Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction conjunction eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources

• Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion

• The new controllers will be packaged with every new NGVR headset at launch.

• The controllers will include capacitive touch sensors, which are analogue based and can track the distance between your fingers and thumb. This is in addition to haptics and adaptive triggers which have already been announced

• Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.

• Nothing was mentioned regarding BC for PSVR1 but there is a push to remaster some PSVR1 games

• Launch plans will be revealed in early 2022 (assumption is Holiday 2022)

https://www.psu.com/news/rumor-psvr-2-specs-leaked-mentions-oled-screen-hdr-support-and-controllers-with-capacitive-touch-sensors/

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

By the way @Beyondthegrave07 this quote from the article will certainly push the "VR opt" tag into necessity standing,

"Furthermore, the hardware giant is keen on moving toward AAA console games for PSVR 2 by developing hybrid titles that work on both the flat screen and VR." Otherwise the VR leaderboard will be moot if most games released are flat AND VR but just tagged PS5.

Its nice for Sony to want that, but the developers are the ones that need to deliver on it. Let’s see how many actually do, rather than believe a writers interpretation of some remarks on a press junket. While I think it’s a great option, it relegates VR to an Add-on, rather than definitive VR experiences and is counter intuitive to VR establishing itself as its own thing. 

• Like 2

@DaivRules While you may be correct it is still frustrating for us VR hunters to play a game where it is VR ONLY, then months later the developers add in a flat mode. Under the current rules the VR tag is removed. So while I Platinumed a game completely in VR, hunters are now punished because they added flat as an option later on.

Also there isn’t enough money to be made in VR to allow real AAA to be made for VR only. Sony is once again doing the smart thing + putting effort into comfort. 

You can see the suggestion for the "VR Opt" tag here:

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 2

Didn't know VR was popular enough to warrant another headset. How exactly would haptics be integrated into the device? Rumble? Ocular resistance? If I get uppercut, am I a PEZ dispenser? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Also there isn’t enough money to be made in VR to allow real AAA to be made for VR only.

"real AAA", lol. People generally can't tell the difference between a lot of AA games and AAA games and a lot of AA game sales would be more than enough to warrant putting out AA titles exclusively on VR. There is an estimated 5+ PSVR units sold and a few definitive AA VR games could boost that number significantly.

I'm hoping with VR2, Sony has made development for VR titles even more approachable for developers in addition to all the spec bumps they're adding in.

17 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Didn't know VR was popular enough to warrant another headset. How exactly would haptics be integrated into the device? Rumble? Ocular resistance? If I get uppercut, am I a PEZ dispenser? 

Haha! Yes, announced earler this year! See the following links for more information and the controller designs!

1.) https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/#sf243317607

2.) https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

"real AAA", lol. People generally can't tell the difference between a lot of AA games and AAA games and a lot of AA game sales would be more than enough to warrant putting out AA titles exclusively on VR. There is an estimated 5+ PSVR units sold and a few definitive AA VR games could boost that number significantly.

I'm hoping with VR2, Sony has made development for VR titles even more approachable for developers in addition to all the spec bumps they're adding in.

There are a lot of AA PSVR games, and when you compare them to the AAA games Sony pushed for, it is night and day. Everything from tracking is better, graphics, mechanics, etc. Some AA games phenomenal, but most are just still fine. However the difference from "AA" to "AAA" is much more noticeable in VR. With Sony throwing money for AAA games on PSVR2 they are going to want to do everything they can to make money, so adding a flat mode (a la Hitman III) is smart. However, if the current rules with tagging VR games stand, then VR trophy hunting will die.

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

This sounds troubling to me.

If I'm buying a $300-$500 peripheral, I expect there to be unique experiences exclusive to it, just like a normal console. The idea that it will just be seen as an add-on is troubling to me. It also opens the door for trophy shinanigans.

For instance, imagine if more games did what concrete Genie did and added a DLC exclusive to VR.

I could be looking at this the wrong way, but this seems to go in the opposite direction of building a VR audience for unique experiences if everyone can still play the same games.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, tony_snake_24 said:

I thought VR2 would be compatible with VR1 games :(

The tracking system is COMPLETELY different. Right now it uses external tracking and the next gen VR will use inside out tracking. Developers could patch their games forward to work with PSVR 2 but it won't be backwards compatible by default (if it is that would be amazing)

. . . and honestly I only see developers who see profit or those where Sony pays them to patch it forward. I also see big name games (Superhot, Beat Saber) being remastered like stated in the article. 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

If I'm buying a $300-$500 peripheral, I expect there to be unique experiences exclusive to it, just like a normal console. The idea that it will just be seen as an add-on is troubling to me. It also opens the door for trophy shenanigan's.

For instance, imagine if more games did what concrete Genie did and added a DLC exclusive to VR.

I could be looking at this the wrong way, but this seems to go in the opposite direction of building a VR audience for unique experiences if everyone can still play the same games.

I agree, there will still be VR only experiences, or else VR would never succeed on its own. There wouldn't be any trophy hiccups if the game and trophies can be played / earned in flat mode. The only time that its a problem is like you said, but that is add on DLC, doesn't affect the Platinum. They are building the audience correctly. Imagine Doom or a new Final Fantasy launching and being playable in VR also, that would be some dope stuff. Just like with Resident Evil 7, you could play the whole game flat or in VR. The only issue that that it isn't tagged "VR optional" so VR hunters can be on the leaderboards. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eraezr said:

VR is the future. It's simply an uphill climb now to trailblaze it into the mainstream adoption. The early climbers will reap its fruits.

I completely agree. I see a lot of people saying things like "who plays VR" or "VR is niche, nobody cares" etc. The potential applications for both VR and AR are huuuuuge. Like, life changing huge. I don't think people realise what the possibilities are. I've watched some interesting videos on the subject, and while a lot of what is being said by the companies and people involved might seem like pure fantasy right now, it could very well be a reality in the not too distant future. Whoever gets their foot in the door now is going to reap the benefits in the future. 

Regarding the upcoming PSVR 2, or "NGVR", it'll be a day 1 purchase for me. I love my PSVR and I'm even more excited to see the next-gen version which is shaping up to be something amazing from what we know so far. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

The tracking system is COMPLETELY different. Right now it uses external tracking and the next gen VR will use inside out tracking. Developers could patch their games forward to work with PSVR 2 but it won't be backwards compatible by default.

. . . and honestly I only see developers who see profit or those where Sony pays them to patch it forward. I also see big name games (Superhot, Beat Saber) being remastered like stated in the article. 

Well, there wouldn't be any trophy hiccups if the game and trophies can be earned in flat mode. The only time that its a problem is like you said, but that is add on DLC, doesn't affect the Platinum. They are building the audience correctly. Imagine Doom or a new Final Fantasy launching and being playable in VR also, that would be some dope stuff. Just like with Resident Evil 7, you could play the whole game flat or in VR. The only issue that that it isn't tagged "VR optional" so VR hunters can be on the leaderboards. 

I see, thanks. So I would have to buy 2 VR headsets huh? I should try VR somewhere to see if I get sick or can play it fine before spending this amount of money

34 minutes ago, tony_snake_24 said:

I see, thanks. So I would have to buy 2 VR headsets huh? I should try VR somewhere to see if I get sick or can play it fine before spending this amount of money

It's a bit too early and all that's out right now is mostly rumors.

The thing isn't really predicted to go on sale for over another year, holiday 2022. It's possible that Sony makes some strides toward enabling PSVR games on VR2. Way too early to start expecting every rumor to ring true.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, DaivRules said:

Its nice for Sony to want that, but the developers are the ones that need to deliver on it. Let’s see how many actually do, rather than believe a writers interpretation of some remarks on a press junket. While I think it’s a great option, it relegates VR to an Add-on, rather than definitive VR experiences and is counter intuitive to VR establishing itself as its own thing. 

Capcom showed it was possible. RE7 still being one of the top if not the top VR experience in gaming.

Those asking about popularity, clearly enough for Sony to warrant development into new and improved headset. Sony was at a time or probably still is the leader in hardware VR install base. If I had to guess it's because Sony is the most cost effective option. You can get everything needed for less than $1,000 (console, VR headset and a couple games). While on PC the best way to enjoy Half-Life Alyx is to buy a VR bundle from Valve for $1,000 which would require a PC that is roughly the same amount.

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, sweetrabbit_au said:

still do not see the point to have another one , oh hang on ,let us see, despite all these fancy features, no single world of backward compatible 

I mean, are you happy to stick with PSVR forever? I'm certainly not. The new system is miles ahead of PSVR if the rumoured specs are to be believed.

And is it actually reasonable to expect backwards compatibility in this instance given how the new system is going to use an entirely different way of tracking? PSVR games will need to be patched to be compatible, or they could be remastered, which will probably happen with select titles.

19 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I mean, are you happy to stick with PSVR forever? I'm certainly not. The new system is miles ahead of PSVR if the rumoured specs are to be believed.

And is it actually reasonable to expect backwards compatibility in this instance given how the new system is going to use an entirely different way of tracking? PSVR games will need to be patched to be compatible, or they could be remastered, which will probably happen with select titles.

of course i am not happy, the images are way too blurry to me, and the it could be nice to have better tracking your movement etc.

there are decent size of games in psvr library now, it would be sad to see some of them not able to make it on psvr 2....

I don't want the PS VR to go the same route as PlayStation Move did. That basically fell into obscurity, and what's worse is the Move only lasted a short time on the PS3. I don't know how you would play Move games on the PS4 or PS5.

Unfortunately I suffer from real bad motion sickness so the PS VR and NGVR as Sony calls it are probably out for me. Having a headset on and moving around for upwards of 30 - 60 minutes would get me dizzy and light headed.

I'm hoping you will be able to play some of the launch PS VR games on the newer hardware. If not, then Sony just made a big mistake.

• 5 weeks later...

I assume the tags on this site for PSVR2 only games will be (PS5)(VR)

Currently it's (PS4)(VR) which indicates the VR game works only with PSVR1 headsets and won't work on the PS5 aka PSVR2. The new tag would indicate which headset keeping VR leaderboards intact. If there is a cross gen release game then it could be (PS4)(PS5)(VR), indicating you can use either headset. Similar to how there used to be (Vita)(PS3)(PS4) games.

I hope a new tag isn't made (VR2) as it would mess with leaderboards. Wonder what @Beyondthegrave07 thinks, even though we're a year away from PSVR2. 

Edited by MikeCheck--

5 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

I assume the tags on this site for PSVR2 only games will be (PS5)(VR)

Currently it's (PS4)(VR) which indicates that the VR game is PS4VR and won't work on the PS5 VR headset aka PSVR2. The new tag would indicate it is the new headset whilst keeping VR leaderboards intact. If there is a cross release game then it should be (PS4)(PS5)(VR), indicating you can use either headset. Similar to how there used to be (Vita)(PS3)(PS4) games.

I hope a new tag isn't made (VR2) as it would mess with leaderboards /:. Wonder what @Beyondthegrave07 thinks, even though we're a year away from PSVR2. 

Alternatively, it could have a new tag (VR2) but also just be included in the leaderboards. Leaderboards for VR1+VR2

30 minutes ago, Doucet-182 said:

Alternatively, it could have a new tag (VR2) but also just be included in the leaderboards. Leaderboards for VR1+VR2

I wouldn't hate that, if it's a realistic possibility. After all, that is how it is now with "All Platform" leaderboards and then the individual ones to follow (PS3, PS4, Vita, VR, PS5). Guess it would just be an "ALL VR" leaderboards, then VR and VR2 separate.

IMO keeping one leaderboard for both headsets is cleaner and preferred for continuity. Plus, the information for which headset is required is indicated with the tag itself, so a separate leaderboard shouldn't be needed. (PS4, VR) is VR1 and (PS5, VR) is VR2 since you need a PS5 for it. However, the former makes more sense with how it's been done with other consoles releases. Great idea Doucet-182 :)

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1