Sony's 2021 Q1 Financial Statements.

Wavergray

26 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not to put my head in the lion's mouth here...

but why would TLoU2 feature on Sony's 2021 Q1 financials at all, unless it was having either radically high, or radically low sales?

It came out in June 2020 - I would imagine the lack of mention means simply that it is neither over, nor under performing in relation to previous releases for a year old game :dunno:

I would have thought it would only be mentioned if the continuing sales were radically lower or higher than projections?

Outside of the legal reasons they have to publish, them financial statements are mainly for investors. Investors use financial statements to judge whether they should continue to invest or start to invest into a company. 

Since the whole point of Sony Interactive Entertainment is be in charge of the Sony Group's Endeavors into the gaming industry. Of course they will have to show how well the first party products are doing. Since Last of Us 2 is a SIE first-party product they have to report how well it's doing to the investors to a point.

Now Last of Us 2 was released in June 2020 which had it come out right in time for the 2020 Q1 financial statements. These statements showed that Last of Us 2 had sold 4 million units.

However, these number have not been updated since then, which is strange because every other SIE first-party product besides bloodborn received an update to its sales numbers either one or two statements later regardless of milestones. While there are things that could or could not be implied by such a lack of updates to investors for over a whole financial year. Ultimately it's just something of note.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 10:04 PM, milanbarca82 said:

That's really a low number for an exclusive.  Is the game that hard that deterred people from buying it?

Like @OmegaRejectz said, the game is a new IP, from a relatively unknown company (for the mainstream), with only okay marketing, on a console that has only sold 10 million units, in a relatively Niche genre (Bullet-hell + roguelike), and that was released at the new full price of $70. Considering only been out for like 3 months I feel 500,000 units sold is pretty good.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, that’s making up a story. 

I don’t need to make an argument because my only point was that the only fact we have is Sony didn’t release numbers. No further story making is needed. It’s the only fact we have about why: We don’t actually know. 

Nice false dichotomy, falls in line with the rest of the logical fallacies you presented as things you know and only further proves my original point. 

But Sony did release numbers, and then stopped, for one specific game. It hasn't happened before, and it hasn't happened since. The context and circumstances of this are obvious grounds for debate. I haven't claimed to objectively know anything I've discussed in this thread, and I don't need to. This is a video game forum, not a science journal.

The guy who insists "suggestion" and "story telling" are one and the same has no business throwing around terms like false dichotomy. Especially when the same guy also insists "story telling" is about making up "whatever stories fit their fantasies," which was your loaded original point.

But at this point I'm basically having a ludicrous debate on semantics just to prove my right to talk about something, so I'm out. You do you, fella.

• Like 2