Should I avoid this?

Sorry in advance for a long post, but I want to make sure that I know what I'm doing before I commit.

I'm currently seriously considering getting this game and going for 100% trophies. It seems like a game I would enjoy based on the few youtube videos I've watched, but with the clearly high wall I'd be starting to climb, I want to know what I'm getting myself into beforehand.

I want to preface this by saying I don't mind putting in effort to get trophies. I have a good deal of ultra rare platinums, 100%'d Sine Mora, etc., and I actually enjoy playing games and trophy hunting for the challenge, rather than avoiding them because of it.

With that said, I want to make sure this game is what I expect it to be before jumping in. I played the PS4 version of FFXIV for a bit (and am still occasionally returning to finish up the platinum from time to time), but I ended up not enjoying it for the following reasons:

1. Playing on a controller felt clumsy and annoying, and I never got over this.

2. A lot of the content was dead, making starting it as a new player a bit of a game of "rush through the first 100 hours THEN start playing the game", and by the time I got to that point, I was already demoralized enough to not want to continue playing.

3. PvP was weak at best, and although I consider myself a PvE player, I do enjoy playing a good bit of PvP as well (and clearly I'll need to in this for Emperor).

I want to make sure I'm not getting myself into something I won't enjoy before it's too late. I can force myself to finish off FFXIV because it's only going to take another 50-100 hours or so. ESO will probably take well over 1,000. 

I used to play A LOT of World of Warcraft back in the day (was in a raiding guild very highly ranked back in the TBC/WOTLK era), but I was also playing between the ages of 20-24. I am now 34, have less time to play on the daily because of life's responsibilities, but still have that itch to join a guild, raid, do some PvP etc. (just not at the extremely hardcore level I did before). All of this is to say that I like MMORPGs when they give the right experience.

I also really like action game. I enjoy elder scrolls, the witcher, platinum games, CRPGs, etc. I realize this might not play like Skyrim, but I'm hoping it's more fast paced than FFXIV.

I also want to be lost in a world and a story, while also being able to eventually experience all content if I put in the effort. I realize having activity for all dungeons, raids, etc. is difficult, but the horizontal structure of the game seems appealing for being able to see a lot of active content at once.

With all of that said, do you guys think this is a game I might enjoy and be able to get lost in, fusing my enjoyment of old school WoW and modern day action games? Or should I steer well clear? Also, if there are any active guilds that don't mind taking on a new player with past experience in MMOs, please reach out :).

Thanks a lot!

TL;DR: Me like WoW, me like action, me like hard trophies, me not like FFXIV. Should me get this?

• Like 2

Go for it!  Greatest game out there.  Almost done wrapping it up (except for the Blackwood Chapter) on the PC.  Great time with others, guilds, PVP, PVE - you name it, it has it.  Be prepared for a long play; I've been playing it since 2015 and still find new stuff to do.  There are events every other month.  I HIGHLY suggest getting ESO Plus, at least for a month to try it, as you get double bank space, unlimited craft bag and access to all of the DLC.  Message me if you have any questions!

I personally regret having started it. It's 123 odd trophies with more being added periodically. It's expensive since there are so many DLC trophies on top of the base game. I earned I think 3 trophies and now have 120 unearned cocking up my completion % on my profile. You might like it, but it's a huge and fairly expensive commitment. 

I'll add that I didn't really enjoy the early game. I played a few hours but it felt very bare bones and dull compared to say Skyrim or Oblivion. Perhaps the later game with all DLCs is much better but i never got that far. 

P.S. I really dislike this 'games as a service' culture that Bethesda seem particularly fond of. I personally don't want to have to pay for a game and then pay a $15.00 per month subscription on top of that. I understand that ESO Plus is not mandatory to play the game but it's certainly very useful. 

Edited by JoesusHCrust

55 minutes ago, Solarus755 said:

I suppose I should have clarified and say me LIKED WoW. It looks like a shell of what it was back in the glory days.

I can relate. WoW was a lot of fun back in the day. Blizzard was still at the top of their game. Sad that Activision is bringing Blizzard down with it, with all the work issues going on over there.

Used to be one of the top rated companies to work for when WoW was fairly new too. Now.... their reputation has been destroyed.

27 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I can relate. WoW was a lot of fun back in the day. Blizzard was still at the top of their game. Sad that Activision is bringing Blizzard down with it, with all the work issues going on over there.

Used to be one of the top rated companies to work for when WoW was fairly new too. Now.... their reputation has been destroyed.

It's all Blizzard. Activision is just fuelling the fire that had already begun.

• Like 1

I mean good luck, most the trophies can be grinded out over a long period of time depending on how good you are. That one trophy for being number one though is insane and requires one hell of a dedication daily to even have a chance not to mention help from others in your clan. That's when I knew I'd never have this plat, not enough time for all that.

I have been playing with the idea of getting this game for years but it looks like it would take an entire year form me to complete. On the other hand, it's looking more and more like TESVI won't be out till after the mid 2020's if not 2030 so I got time to kill. ?

I understand that Blackwood includes all previous expansions, does this also include DLC's like the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild or are they locked behind crowns/ ESO Plus?

On a side note I find it disconcerting that the master fisher trophy is rarer than the Emperor trophy.

I made peace with never getting the Plat due to Emperor and so just play for fun and try to get other trophies. I haven't played the game in 2 years but I do very much enjoy it when I do jump in. I have 81 out of the 124 trophies currently available and while some were grindy, nothing was that difficult. I am a casual player and by no means an expert, got most of the trophies I have BEFORE figuring out DPS and good skills, etc. So that might tell you most are more grindy than hard and certainly doable if you have the time.

I think it's worth playing and if you're able to get Emperor more power to you. But if you don't have time to dedicate to that trophy and are concerned about that trophy making you miss a 100%, then I wouldn't start.

Edited by Chey100