• 2 weeks later...

platinum146- Nickelodeon Kart Racers

S43cc44.png

Difficulty: 2/10
Enjoyment: 2/10
Hardest Trophy: N/A

Most Fun Trophy: N/A

Thoughts:

If you don't know me personally then let me start off with the fact that I love little kart racers. Janky ones, good ones, weird ones. They bring me back to my childhood bedroom of sitting on the floor and playing Mickey's Speedway USA on the N64. So any chance I can get to grab one for cheap and play it I will and that is exactly what I did with Nickelodeon Kart Racers. Unfortunately it was a game that had me wondering when it was going to end more than it had me recounting fun memories as a kid. 

While the game is easy enough it severely lacks content. There is no voice acting, and generic background music. The game itself has very few courses to race, and since the platinum requires you to complete all 9 Grand Prix Cups three times (easy, normal, hard) the game became repetitive very fast. I think the biggest disappointment for me was that none of the cups really were that different from each other, again due to the fact that they reuse the same courses over and over again. Some of the trophies were buggy, for me the trophy SLIME ATTACK (take down at least 3 opponents in a single racedidn't pop until I was well over the halfway mark to the platinum, even though I had taken out several opponents in the various Cups up until that point. Luckily though nothing needed to be deleted/reset, it just appears what the game tracks/counts towards the trophies is slightly off. 

While I played this to break up and change the pace of the every grindy Assassin's Creed Valhalla, this game failed to hit the simple low bar of letting me feel like a kid again and instead kept me thinking "is it over yet"

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

platinum149- Dirt 5

Sc9647a.png

Difficulty: 3/10
Enjoyment: 4/10
Hardest Trophy: Stuntmasta' 
(Score 30,000 or higher in a Career Gymkhana event)
Most Fun Trophy: N/A

Thoughts:

This is going to be a short one. I have never played a Dirt game and thought I would dive in considering I have access to it through EA Play. While the art was bold and bright everything else fell flat. 125 Career Events that need to be completed and very little variety. While most will say a lot of racing games don't provide variety this felt extremely thin. Needless to say I should have known and will not be touching another Dirt game in the future. To add salt to the wound this game has DLC which I will never clean up because its just the base game repackaged again....I cannot justify spending more money on the same content. 

There really isn't much more to say unfortunately. 

• Like 3

Although I read your AC: Valhalla review yesterday - which is awesome by the way, I had to go do something before I could leave a comment.

I just wanted to say that this

On 16/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, Beth Medusa said:

Ubisoft's biggest enemy is their own ambition and yet the lack of it at the same time

is one of the most accurate appraisals I've ever seen of Ubisoft - scarily so in fact.

I really ought to play AC: Odyssey, but one of my friends, who was a really big fan of Origins, said it was just a whole bunch filler, and empty collectible hunting - having not played it yet I can't truly judge, as I've only gotten to Origins in the recent RPG trilogy. From what you've said Valhalla just doubles down on that problem - which is a real shame, because they ask such a huge time commitment of you, and if you're going to be spending most of that time bored out of your skull, it's tough to get yourself motivated for it, I'd imagine

Congrats on pushing through and getting it done though!

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I appreciate your positive feedback :)

In regards to this...

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I really ought to play AC: Odyssey, but one of my friends, who was a really big fan of Origins, said it was just a whole bunch filler, and empty collectible hunting - having not played it yet I can't truly judge, as I've only gotten to Origins in the recent RPG trilogy. From what you've said Valhalla just doubles down on that problem - which is a real shame, because they ask such a huge time commitment of you, and if you're going to be spending most of that time bored out of your skull, it's tough to get yourself motivated for it, I'd imagine

Congrats on pushing through and getting it done though!

Odyssey had more filler than Origins, and Valhalla has more than that. This is coming from someone that really enjoyed Odyssey: Valhalla is too much of nothing. I personally recommend Odyssey but I wouldn't go beyond that. Ask around with other people that have similar game interests as you and see what their takeaway from Odyssey was that should give you a better gauge on if you should dive in or not

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beth Medusa said:

Odyssey had more filler than Origins, and Valhalla has more than that. This is coming from someone that really enjoyed Odyssey: Valhalla is too much of nothing. I personally recommend Odyssey but I wouldn't go beyond that. Ask around with other people that have similar game interests as you and see what their takeaway from Odyssey was that should give you a better gauge on if you should dive in or not

That same friend did tell me that the DLC for Odyssey was absolutely top notch - so that might sweeten the deal a bit - it sounds like you and I have some of the same gripes with Ubisoft, so I might go with Odyssey and see how I feel from there. Then if I really feel like it, pick up Valhalla in about ten years when all the DLC has been released, and all the bugs have been patched out ?........

Oh wait that's Ubisoft we're talking about - there's much more chance of seeing a flock of flying pigs go sailing by, but we can dream right?

I've heard more good things than bad things about Odyssey though, so you might have swung that one for me a little bit

I saw Abzu is in your backlog by the way (was in mine for years too actually).  I played that myself, yesterday, I thought that was a great little time, doesn't take longer than about three hours either, it's super relaxing too, so if Valhalla burned you out at all, that might take the edge off, so to speak.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I saw Abzu is in your backlog by the way (was in mine for years too actually).  I played that myself, yesterday, I thought that was a great little time, doesn't take longer than about three hours either, it's super relaxing too, so if Valhalla burned you out at all, that might take the edge off, so to speak.

I'll give this a go today :) thank you!

• Like 1

platinum151- It Takes Two

S8f7263.png

Difficulty: 2/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Hardest Trophy: Platforming Prodigy 
(Helltower? More like hello-from-up-here-tower!)
Most Fun Trophy: Power Couple (You are unstoppable, nothing stands in your way!)

Thoughts:

Please find someone to play this game with, preferably someone you know well. I haven't had this much fun and relaxation playing a game in a long time. Every level was crafted to feel unique and I never felt bored or as if things were being repetitive. The puzzles aren't difficult so you can play with someone in your life that isn't big into games.

The way the teamwork was crafted was both hilarious and clever. One of my favorite chapters early on had each player carrying different weapons that when combined would open new paths and kill enemies. Another level had us exploring various parts of a kid's room, the imagination seeping through every inch of my screen. It was funny, it was clever and at times it was touching.

I could say more but I don't want to. I truly think everyone should go into this game as blind as they can. I will say no trophies are missable you can pick up things post game in chapter select. The game isn't difficult but the reason I listed Platforming Prodigy as the hardest trophy was because my depth perception is very questionable and when you mix that with platforming up a tower that has various moving and spinning pieces ...it can take awhile. 

But please please please do not let the trophy percentage stray you from this game, or the fact that its co-op. Find someone in your life to give this a go with and remember they have the friend pass so you only need one copy of the game! (unless both want to earn trophies then you need two full copies) 

This was one of those games that reminded me that games can be goofy and relaxing without becoming childish or boring.

I'm looking forward to replaying chapters again with other friends and family members. 

• Like 4