Sabbath - Kinda Bloody Sabbath!

KindaSabbath

On 20/08/2021 at 8:28 AM, Arcesius said:

SMB would have been the next game in the chain, the four games that I mentioned were harder though 1f605.png  Personally I found it difficult, but it gave me way less trouble than I would have thought. Maybe a 8/10..? The rarity is also inflated... PS+ and it is an old game, meaning that there are a lot of profiles with the game on them that have not been updated (since automatic profile updates were disabled a couple of years ago). It deserves to be UR, but not THAT rare. 

There is nothing on my profile that comes close to Splasher though... that was one tough mofo 1f602.png

Yeah, I'm not surprised you say that about Splasher as very few have done it. I can see why Splasher is seen as a much harder game. Oh yeah, I think I read that you got through SMB relatively fine, which is pretty impressive stuff. I can imagine it being a much harder game as it's not something I usually play. I was talking to @Don_carlito94 about it as a potential future game after Trials Fusion & Wolfenstein 2 since it's quite a well known one, whilst I've heard it's quite fun too. I do like a challenge which is why I went ahead & started Trials Fusion originally since it has the perfect mix of difficulty & enjoyment. I've had Wolfenstein 2 recommended quite a lot as something to go for & I'm willing to put the time into that. Would SMB be a good recommendation as something to eventually go for? I'm not sure what @Don_carlito94 also thinks of this? I've heard it has a good mix of enjoyment & difficulty as well but not sure if it's a game to eventually think about.

On 20/08/2021 at 4:45 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Thanks for that little tip right there regarding custom tracks! I needed a trophy for playing one anyway, so I booted up some bw only tracks, had a bunch of fun playing through those, then had another pop at Pipe Phobia and got it within 20 minutes of trying!

I saw you got some trophies quite quickly the other day. I've seen that challenge & it looks like something that could take a very long time. It seems you're getting through the game quite nicely. That's some great progress already.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 5:27 PM, det_gittes said:

Did you unlock the extremes yet? How do they compare to Rising extremes for you? Which is harder - Inferno IV or V? Sorry for the flood of questions - I am really looking forward to your impressions so far :D 

About time for a little update! So I haven't had as much time to play as I would of liked! I keep firing the game up but then I'm having to do other things (work and family). I missed a golden opportunity on Friday evening to have a good session because I fell asleep on the sofa after my dinner ?

Managed to put a few hours in yesterday spread throughout the day. I did unlock the extreme tracks. So I think we all know what happened next...

I loaded up Rock of Rages immediately and got the Roach out.. Oh man. This shit is tough as nails! My first pass on the Roach was 181 faults. Then 100, 70 and now I'm down to 12 (would of been 8, but when I got to the very last uphill section just before the finish line, apparently I forgot how to bunny hop?)

Top Roach - Now I want to say that I have mad respect to all of you that have done this because it is insanely difficult! I'd actually say that I'm a fairly confident Trials player now, but this is just fucking hard.

So to answer your questions: well, I've only played Rock of Rages so far when it comes to the extreme tracks, so I don't yet know what the rest of them are like, especially how they fair with the Pit Viper. However, I'm completely in love with the game as it's just more of what I was enjoying so much in Rising. I really enjoyed the Hard tracks and so far I've got gold medals on everything in the game within just 1 or 2 attempts. OK, I think Ice Climb took me 4 or 5 attempts but I honestly think that was just down to a bit of PTSD from Hill Climb in Rising after my 12 hour grind for gold ?. 

Just a note in regards to gameplay - I actually found at first I was thrown off by this game being a little less responsive with the control. I adapted quickly though and it was only minor. Gameplay in these games is still epic. Really, really enjoying my time with it so far!

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

I loaded up Rock of Rages immediately and got the Roach out.. Oh man. This shit is tough as nails! My first pass on the Roach was 181 faults. Then 100, 70 and now I'm down to 12 (would of been 8, but when I got to the very last uphill section just before the finish line, apparently I forgot how to bunny hop1f602.png)

Yeah, I was pretty sure that you would jump straight into this challenge ? You seem to be doing great though! The most difficult chechpoint to learn to do consistently was CP5, the one after the long ladder upwards. There are two ways to ride the second ramp there: Standing, or sitting back. Initially, I would try to stand on the bike, but could not get any consistency there and would fail to clear the CP without faults more often than not. Then, talking to @Angus1343, who was doing the game at the same time as me, he suggested to practice to clear the CP while sitting down. I couldn't do it initially, but once I managed to get it down, I managed to get consistent at that CP. You can see what I mean in my replay if you are interested, I don't think I need to post my video here ?

The other difficult CP is at the very end, where you need to break while riding the vertical wall upwards... That ruined quite a few runs ?

49 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

So to answer your questions: well, I've only played Rock of Rages so far when it comes to the extreme tracks, so I don't yet know what the rest of them are like, especially how they fair with the Pit Viper.

You will laugh at how "easy" the track is with the Viper, trust me ? 

Looking forward to more updates, and also what you think about Inferno IV! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure that you would jump straight into this challenge 1f602.png You seem to be doing great though! The most difficult chechpoint to learn to do consistently was CP5, the one after the long ladder upwards. There are two ways to ride the second ramp there: Standing, or sitting back. Initially, I would try to stand on the bike, but could not get any consistency there and would fail to clear the CP without faults more often than not. Then, talking to @Angus1343, who was doing the game at the same time as me, he suggested to practice to clear the CP while sitting down. I couldn't do it initially, but once I managed to get it down, I managed to get consistent at that CP. You can see what I mean in my replay if you are interested, I don't think I need to post my video here 1f605.png

The other difficult CP is at the very end, where you need to break while riding the vertical wall upwards... That ruined quite a few runs 1f605.png

? Yeah as per usual I just couldn't resist! It's brutal though. I've just had maybe 4 or 5 sub 30 fault clears in the last hour. I can't even seem to improve upon on last night's run, yet.

Ive tried what you suggest with sitting on that ramp but I can't seem to get the timing down, at all. That CP is just inconsistent, I've only managed to get past it with zero faults 3 or 4 times. 

I'm having a nightmare with the long jump also. Got past it once with zero faults. I can't seem to carry enough momentum, even after a perfect clear of the box beforehand, so I never seem to make the jump. The big platform in the middle of the jump just kills my speed.

Second to last checkpoint is inconsistent too. However, the more I get there, the less I'll worry about that one as it doesn't usually take me more than 2 or 3 attempts to clear it.

You will laugh at how "easy" the track is with the Viper, trust me 1f602.png 

Looking forward to more updates, and also what you think about Inferno IV! 

Wouldn't mind knowing whether you think It's worth just grinding it out with Top Roach before moving on to the other tracks and using the Viper again? I feel as though I need to master the Roach and using anything else now would be counter productive. I've read this challenge has taken good Trials players sometimes weeks to get down. No doubt it only took you a couple hours, max, but you my friend are on another level with this kind of thing ?

• Like 2

We all have our different strategies but I did CP 5 standing up. For me it was all about the moment when you need to adjust your weight so your backwheel hits the obstacle nicely. 

As for the long jump. I always catapulted myself into the rock so I get ‘stuck’ and make my way upwards. I never once gotten over this the intended way as I never had enough speed to do so.

The second to last CP was the hardest for me. And in the end it all came down to muscle memory. I always made sure I hit ramp with my frontwheel. Gas, brake, gas, fap. Or something like that. In my succesful run I did this CP blind. 

I would stick with Top Roach if I were you. You’re already at 8 faults. Which is very good. No point to quit now imo. You will improve.

Just dropping this here. Maybe it can help you.

Edit: You can practice this track in track central where you can skip to any CP. Which is what I did until I had the muscle memory to do the second to last CP consistently enough. Might be worth it.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Ive tried what you suggest with sitting on that ramp but I can't seem to get the timing down, at all. That CP is just inconsistent, I've only managed to get past it with zero faults 3 or 4 times. 

I think it's worth practicing though.. I couldn't get it sitting down for the life of me at first.. But once I got it right, I went from a 10% success rate to a 80%+ success rate at that CP. 

But @Baker is right. The reason why I did this sitting is because you need the back wheel to have enough weight on it to get enough speed on that short ramp. If you can manage to do so standing, then that's fine as well! I just couldn't do that consistently. 

Wouldn't mind knowing whether you think It's worth just grinding it out with Top Roach before moving on to the other tracks and using the Viper again? I feel as though I need to master the Roach and using anything else now would be counter productive.

Keep at it. Your reasoning is also why I left Pipe Phobia and Top Roach for last. I knew I would then just have to get used to the Roach to get both done, instead of switching bikes back and forth. You are already pretty close, sub-10 faults is awesome for such a short time!! You'll get it done very soon I'm sure :) 

I've read this challenge has taken good Trials players sometimes weeks to get down. No doubt it only took you a couple hours, max, but you my friend are on another level with this kind of thing 1f602.png

Man, I must come across like the most braggy person here ? Remember, I did this last.. After Redlynx to the Sword, after every other challenge... So I was already decent at the game by the time I went for it.

It took me roughly 6 hours. I got to 1 fault pretty quickly, but I would always fail at one of those three CPs you mentioned. I even got to the last CP once, just for me to screw up on the way to the finish line. That hurt ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Wouldn't mind knowing whether you think It's worth just grinding it out with Top Roach before moving on to the other tracks and using the Viper again? I feel as though I need to master the Roach and using anything else now would be counter productive.

Nothing wrong with going for Top Roach as getting that sweet zero fault run would definitely make you feel much better ;) but at the same time don't get burnt out on this one challenge - switching between bikes isn't really that big of a deal (unless you feel that you can get that challenge done within a reasonable amount of time!). If you want some serious practice on the Roach, there are challenges (not trophy-related) to complete the Way of the Machine and the Meteorain (DLC extremes) on it - these are actually pretty challenging (especially the former), but also good Roach practice.

2 hours ago, Baker said:

Edit: You can practice this track in track central where you can skip to any CP. Which is what I did until I had the muscle memory to do the second to last CP consistently enough. Might be worth it.

Interesting, didn't know about it but it should be great help!

3 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Wouldn't mind knowing whether you think It's worth just grinding it out with Top Roach before moving on to the other tracks and using the Viper again? I feel as though I need to master the Roach and using anything else now would be counter productive. I've read this challenge has taken good Trials players sometimes weeks to get down. 1f602.png

Keep at it man solid progress! I like how you went for the hardest challenge first, same as me pretty much, I think I did the Inferno challenges first then I felt confident about the rest of the hard ones and went for it

Edited by Miles

3 hours ago, Baker said:

We all have our different strategies but I did CP 5 standing up. For me it was all about the moment when you need to adjust your weight so your backwheel hits the obstacle nicely. 

As for the long jump. I always catapulted myself into the rock so I get ‘stuck’ and make my way upwards. I never once gotten over this the intended way as I never had enough speed to do so.

The second to last CP was the hardest for me. And in the end it all came down to muscle memory. I always made sure I hit ramp with my frontwheel. Gas, brake, gas, fap. Or something like that. In my succesful run I did this CP blind. 

I would stick with Top Roach if I were you. You’re already at 8 faults. Which is very good. No point to quit now imo. You will improve.

Just dropping this here. Maybe it can help you.

You can practice this track in track central where you can skip to any CP. Which is what I did until I had the muscle memory to do the second to last CP consistently enough. Might be worth it.

Very helpful suggestions there mate, really appreciate it! That practice mode is going to come in seriously handy! The video of your successful run, too!

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

I think it's worth practicing though.. I couldn't get it sitting down for the life of me at first.. But once I got it right, I went from a 10% success rate to a 80%+ success rate at that CP. 

But @Baker is right. The reason why I did this sitting is because you need the back wheel to have enough weight on it to get enough speed on that short ramp. If you can manage to do so standing, then that's fine as well! I just couldn't do that consistently. 

I'm going to have another session at it tonight. So far I can get it standing maybe 1/5 and seated 1/10... I will experiment a little more and then stick with one.

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Man, I must come across like the most braggy person here 1f602.png Remember, I did this last.. After Redlynx to the Sword, after every other challenge... So I was already decent at the game by the time I went for it.

It took me roughly 6 hours. I got to 1 fault pretty quickly, but I would always fail at one of those three CPs you mentioned. I even got to the last CP once, just for me to screw up on the way to the finish line. That hurt 1f602.png

Not at all bro! If anything, I'd say you come across pretty damn humble. Your feats and the time they took you to achieve, speak for themselves. I meant it purely as a compliment ?

1 hour ago, det_gittes said:

Nothing wrong with going for Top Roach as getting that sweet zero fault run would definitely make you feel much better ;) but at the same time don't get burnt out on this one challenge - switching between bikes isn't really that big of a deal (unless you feel that you can get that challenge done within a reasonable amount of time!). If you want some serious practice on the Roach, there are challenges (not trophy-related) to complete the Way of the Machine and the Meteorain (DLC extremes) on it - these are actually pretty challenging (especially the former), but also good Roach practice.

Appreciate that dude! I'm not sure if I can get it done in a reasonable amount of time but I'll be careful not to burn out on it. I'm pretty stubborn,, so should be ok ?

I could take the Roach out on the other tracks you mentioned. If I manage to pull off Top Roach before that though... I could pretend the Roach doesn't even exist and never look at it or use it ever again ?

1 hour ago, Miles said:

Keep at it man solid progress! I like how you went for the hardest challenge first, same as me pretty much, I think I did the Inferno challenges first then I felt confident about the rest of the hard ones and went for it

Thanks dude! I can't help it man, if the hardest stuff is there - I just have to lol. I always tell myself "I'll just have a go, get a feel for it and then come back to it later..." 

I think based on everyone's feedback, I'll just keep chipping away at it for now. My best run today has been 21 faults so this could be a painful one ?

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 3

Nice checklist you got there, you are starting out quite strong with the games that you’ve completed so far. Good luck with Trials Fusion, that is a game I’m planning on playing in the future, so will probably come back and check out your update?

14 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

Would SMB be a good recommendation as something to eventually go for? I'm not sure what @Don_carlito94 also thinks of this? I've heard it has a good mix of enjoyment & difficulty as well but not sure if it's a game to eventually think about.

SMB is a pretty fun game and that comes from someone who don’t play platformers, this is actually the first one in many years for me. I don’t know how fond you’re of platformers in general especially the pure 2D platformers, but I was surprised of how good it turned out to be and maybe you will as well if you gave it a try.

The game is tough but also fair. I can totally see this being an 8/10 (which has been mentioned) for someone more experienced with the genre, but since I was fairly new to it, I struggled quite a lot but I would still not rank this as a 10ish in difficulty like the guide implies. You will probably be in the same position as I was if you don’t play these type of games, so let’s say for some Trackmania is harder than SMB but I struggled a lot more with SMB than Trackmania since racing is more my genre and I think you will think the same as well if you ended up doing it. 

• Like 2

I've had a couple of longer sessions going at Top Roach now, been at it for hours... I feel as though I'm just not improving at all. Still making stupid mistakes.

My best run is 6 faults:

I always mess up the big gap (not this run, but usually)... The odd time that I nail the big gap, it's always a run where I'm making stupid mistakes. I rarely clear the second to last checkpoint first time and I'm making a habit of screwing up the last bit, as the only time I'm there is on a PB run so I choke it.

Frustrating...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

I always mess up the big gap (not this run, but usually)... The odd time that I nail the big gap, it's always a run where I'm making stupid mistakes. I rarely clear the second to last checkpoint first time and I'm making a habit of screwing up the last bit, as the only time I'm there is on a PB run so I choke it.

Frustrating...

You're not alone, we've all been there - this game is considered difficult for a reason :D Again, if you can't see improvement, play another track if only for a bit, these breaks in Fusion really make a big difference, coming back you very often feel stronger!

Trivia fact: when Trials Fusion first came out, you had to complete a zero fault run on an extreme and then bail out (just before the finish line) into a portal (after the finish line) to access a ninjafied version of that extreme. Now you can just find that version in track central.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Don_carlito94 said:

SMB is a pretty fun game and that comes from someone who don’t play platformers, this is actually the first one in many years for me. I don’t know how fond you’re of platformers in general especially the pure 2D platformers, but I was surprised of how good it turned out to be and maybe you will as well if you gave it a try.

Cool, might be something I think about then. I don't usually play them but if it's fun I might give it a try one day.

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

My best run is 6 faults:

I've been seeing that you have been getting closer! It looks like that you have got those faults down quickly & obviously I can see that the last few faults will be the toughest to get through. You have done amazing so far, almost there dude!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Frustrating...

For the big gap it is important that you land on the middle part with your back wheel slightly first, otherwise you might not have enough momentum to carry on.

In addition, when you're hanging from a ledge where your front wheel is hooked you are able to recover. Don't apply full throttle. Ease off the gas and you should drive straight up more often than not.

For the second to last checkpoint: Maybe it's easier for you to do a rear wheel bounce, just like you did at the first checkpoint (in the middle part).

For the last checkpoint: Drive onto the platform, steady yourself while leaning forward. Ease off the gas and then slowly accelerate to clear the gap easily.

11 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

My best run is 6 faults:

This could have very well been a 4-fault run or so, progress is definitely there man! You've got this! 

A couple of tips..

CP 5: Sit down! ?

Big Gap: Honestly, I don't think you can expect to hit that one as well as you did consistently. I most of my successful clears of this CP, I managed to just hook my front wheel onto the rock and improvise from there depending on the position. I find it pretty risky to hit that obstacle (the rock) with the rear wheel and such a steep angle as you did in the vid, as if you have sligthy less speed you might bounce off the rock instead of onto it. 

2nd to last CP: I noticed that you try to position your rider in a standard "respawn" position, standing on the bike. If it works for you that's great, and it does seem so since you nailed it after the first respawn. But finding that perfect spot might be a bit tricky? I did this sitting down, and that is a position that you can hit 100% of the time. From the sound though, you are doing it correctly. Hitting the ramp with both wheels at the same time (or the front one slighly earlier), breaking half-way up and then fapping the hell away ?

Last CP: From what I saw, you almost didn't get enough speed. Most people just go for it and don't even pause after the first jump, but I did it the same way you did. However, to make sure I had enough speed, I would accelerate for about half the length of the bike at ~50% throttle, and then go full 100%. In my successful attempt, I started accelerating at 100% too early, which is why I almost flipped ?

But if it takes you too long to go full 100%, you might not have enough speed to clear the gap. 

Also, I know you can watch my replay, but I'll leave this here for other people to see what I'm talking about: 

11 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Frustrating...

Remember what I told you about avoiding frustration? :) Don't expect to make progress in a short time, it is a difficult game. A very, VERY difficult game, and you are going for the hardest challenge in the game. You might even go down to 1 fault after choking a good run. Be prepared for it mentally, and just enjoy when you finally get that sweet 0-fault run! 

This game is too good to not have fun with it due to frustration! 

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 9:29 PM, Don_carlito94 said:

Nice checklist you got there, you are starting out quite strong with the games that you’ve completed so far. Good luck with Trials Fusion, that is a game I’m planning on playing in the future, so will probably come back and check out your update

Hey man, thanks! You have a really nice collection of games! Trials Fusion is awesome. Definitely a tough one but really enjoying the game!

14 hours ago, det_gittes said:

You're not alone, we've all been there - this game is considered difficult for a reason :D Again, if you can't see improvement, play another track if only for a bit, these breaks in Fusion really make a big difference, coming back you very often feel stronger!

It's cool, I wanted a tough one and I've certainly got it lol. You have a fair point in regards to switching it up. I get extremely tunnel visioned though and don't imagine being able to move on before I've got it.

12 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

I've been seeing that you have been getting closer! It looks like that you have got those faults down quickly & obviously I can see that the last few faults will be the toughest to get through. You have done amazing so far, almost there dude!

Appreciate it dude. Steadily chipping the faults down. Managed a run with 5 last night. Would of been 4 but ofcourse, my mandatory fuck up on the last section took me up another one ?

9 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

For the big gap it is important that you land on the middle part with your back wheel slightly first, otherwise you might not have enough momentum to carry on.

In addition, when you're hanging from a ledge where your front wheel is hooked you are able to recover. Don't apply full throttle. Ease off the gas and you should drive straight up more often than not.

For the second to last checkpoint: Maybe it's easier for you to do a rear wheel bounce, just like you did at the first checkpoint (in the middle part).

For the last checkpoint: Drive onto the platform, steady yourself while leaning forward. Ease off the gas and then slowly accelerate to clear the gap easily.

I'll put these into practice when I get on today. Thanks bro! I've managed to hook my wheel and ease up a few times after the big gap. That whole section feels like RNG... I swear, I can get it perfectly one time, do the exact same thing and then get no where near. 

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

This could have very well been a 4-fault run or so, progress is definitely there man! You've got this! ! 

Thanks mate! I feel like I have the ability but at the same time, I feel like I'm not even close ?

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

A couple of tips..

CP 5: Sit down! 1f602.png

Big Gap: Honestly, I don't think you can expect to hit that one as well as you did consistently. I most of my successful clears of this CP, I managed to just hook my front wheel onto the rock and improvise from there depending on the position. I find it pretty risky to hit that obstacle (the rock) with the rear wheel and such a steep angle as you did in the vid, as if you have sligthy less speed you might bounce off the rock instead of onto it. 

2nd to last CP: I noticed that you try to position your rider in a standard "respawn" position, standing on the bike. If it works for you that's great, and it does seem so since you nailed it after the first respawn. But finding that perfect spot might be a bit tricky? I did this sitting down, and that is a position that you can hit 100% of the time. From the sound though, you are doing it correctly. Hitting the ramp with both wheels at the same time (or the front one slighly earlier), breaking half-way up and then fapping the hell away 1f605.png

Last CP: From what I saw, you almost didn't get enough speed. Most people just go for it and don't even pause after the first jump, but I did it the same way you did. However, to make sure I had enough speed, I would accelerate for about half the length of the bike at ~50% throttle, and then go full 100%. In my successful attempt, I started accelerating at 100% too early, which is why I almost flipped 1f602.png

But if it takes you too long to go full 100%, you might not have enough speed to clear the gap. 

Also, I know you can watch my replay, but I'll leave this here for other people to see what I'm talking about: 

Remember what I told you about avoiding frustration? :) Don't expect to make progress in a short time, it is a difficult game. A very, VERY difficult game, and you are going for the hardest challenge in the game. You might even go down to 1 fault after choking a good run. Be prepared for it mentally, and just enjoy when you finally get that sweet 0-fault run! 

This game is too good to not have fun with it due to frustration! 

CP 5: This was a bad run in every area outside of the big gap which I made my bitch (this one time lol)... I'm getting fairly consistent with clearing this CP with zero faults. I could try seated again but muscle memory is making me lean forward most of the time.

Big Gap: This could be where I'm going wrong. I always aim to clear it in one by getting enough speed to vault over. This has ended every single zero fault run for me as the only times I've pulled it off, I've already had faults. I feel like the slightest little thing and you don't make it. It's driving me mad. Maybe I should aim to hook my front wheel and see if I can start getting over it more consistently.

2nd to last CP: I've been swapping and changing my mind about whether to sit or stand. Both seem to work but do you reckon it's just better to stick with seated? This CP is annoying asf because I know what to press (hit both wheels or front first, quickly pull back, push forward, hit brake then fap like a madman)... and I can do it... but it never feels precise and always feels like a fluke.

Last CP: I'll try that today. I haven't given it enough respect as it looks easy and because I don't feel like I'm that close to a zero fault run yet, I've really not practiced it much.

I have studied yours and Bakers videos so many times. I will continue to use them and massively appreciate your tips!

This game is hard man. Like, really really hard. I love it. It's definitely fun frustration and I'm willing to put in however many hours it takes for my old ass to get the completion. Out of curiosity - would you say Top Roach is harder than anything in the DLC? Wondering what the road ahead looks like after conquering this one.

3 hours ago, Shrooba said:

I don't have much knowledge on the game since I haven't played it, but what I can do is wish you the best of luck with it! Keep it up. 1f600.png
Awesome to see you going for a game like this so early into your profile, it's a cool start!

Hey, thanks! I saw your checklist pop up earlier and I'll drop in there and see how you're getting on soon! I've been meaning to get around to seeing how everyone else is getting on but been tunnel visioned with Trials and balancing with work etc.

Edit: Shrooba, your profile is awesome. So many great games and impressive completion rate!

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 3

Good luck man. You’re almost there.

Maybe the biggest tip I can give is don’t rush it, and try to find as much of a consistent approach to every CP as possible. Where do I start, from what position, etc..

When I was where you are at now. 5-6 fault range, I tried to blast through it because that seemed fun. Get a real good Top Roach time. But then stuff like this started to happen:

(I saved this clip because this was the first time I thought: I should have had it here. But I had many more of these)

And I then I thought: ‘Screw that. Let’s get a zero fault run first. Consistency first, I can always improve my time later.’ Got it done very quick after that. 

And I don’t want to say my way is better but for the last CP I think my approach is 100% safe. Going slow there is too risky imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

This game is hard man. Like, really really hard. I love it. It's definitely fun frustration and I'm willing to put in however many hours it takes for my old ass to get the completion. Out of curiosity - would you say Top Roach is harder than anything in the DLC? Wondering what the road ahead looks like after conquering this one.

Yeah, absolutely. There are a couple of tough challenges in the DLCs, but in a completely different spirit than Top Roach. You have Time Attacks, obstacle courses, etc... but don't worry about those just yet :) And nothing should take as much time as Top Roach, that much I think I can almost guarantee. 

Even in the base game, you have only 2-3 tough challenges left once you have completed Top Roach. Everything else should come much easier. 

And most stuff in the DLC is pretty easy compared to the base game. The two - in my opinion - hardest tracks in the game are two DLC extremes, but you "only" have to clear them so you should have no trouble! And they are very fun to do!

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Yeah, absolutely. There are a couple of tough challenges in the DLCs, but in a completely different spirit than Top Roach. You have Time Attacks, obstacle courses, etc... but don't worry about those just yet :) And nothing should take as much time as Top Roach, that much I think I can almost guarantee. 

Even in the base game, you have only 2-3 tough challenges left once you have completed Top Roach. Everything else should come much easier. 

And most stuff in the DLC is pretty easy compared to the base game. The two - in my opinion - hardest tracks in the game are two DLC extremes, but you "only" have to clear them so you should have no trouble! And they are very fun to do!

I agree. You're not talking about The Way of the Machine and Meteorain by any chance? ?

Well maybe, just maybe, if you were to do everything else in the game first and Top Roach second you might find Redlynx to the sword more difficult. You might.

You basically have to zero-fault those tracks except for a couple of them in order to make the time. But it's actually quite fun.

But if you play through it normally, nothing tops Top Roach difficulty-wise (no pun intended).

Pipe Phobia is pretty managable.

Reaching the fifth circle of hell for the Anger Management trophy can be annoying.

Speedcuber is not bad at all.

Redlynx to the sword is the place where you try to shave off milliseconds and get that near perfect run.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Ah, cool cool. Looking forward to getting stuck in to the DLC after clearing up the base game a bit more! Still chipping away at Top Roach at the moment. I think I'm going to have to practice CP 5 seated. I got to the big gap with zero faults at least 10 times yesterday but never made it passed once without faulting. Everytime I pass without faulting I have faults from CP 5. Sounds silly, but I think that is causing me more problems than I originally thought. My clear rate of CP 5 flawless is about 20%... If I can get that higher, then its just a matter of time before I clear the gap also. Then I can practice choking the last part ?

18 hours ago, JohnlMatrix said:

But if you play through it normally, nothing tops Top Roach difficulty-wise (no pun intended).

Pipe Phobia is pretty managable.

Reaching the fifth circle of hell for the Anger Management trophy can be annoying.

Speedcuber is not bad at all.

Redlynx to the sword is the place where you try to shave off milliseconds and get that near perfect run.

OK man, I'm looking forward to Redlynx to the Sword quite a bit! That's the kind if challenge I enjoy. Not so much dragging a fat bastard bike through Rock of Rages with no faults..  ?

Pipe Phobia was the first challenge I did in the game. It wasn't too bad. I'm sure there will be a few other brutal ones though!

• Like 4

Even though I don't have much experience with Trials Fusion, I can try to give some general advice when it comes to hard games.

One of the best things I like to rationalize to myself is that I'm equipped with the same tools as someone who did complete a hard game; we both have a PS controller, and we both have two functioning hands. On a physical level, there's nothing that separates me from someone who could beat a particular game.

It's definitely an oversimplification for sure, but there's something about this fact that makes me realize that it really just boils down to the mental aspect of things.
This one thing is what separates a person who can complete a game, and a person who can't. But with this same physical playing field in mind, if you just hone your mindset, then you should be able to get it done with enough perseverance (and a touch of good RNG depending on the game). By sticking with this idea, I've managed to beat some tough games, so I hope this helps you too!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Ah, cool cool. Looking forward to getting stuck in to the DLC after clearing up the base game a bit more! Still chipping away at Top Roach at the moment. I think I'm going to have to practice CP 5 seated. I got to the big gap with zero faults at least 10 times yesterday but never made it passed once without faulting. Everytime I pass without faulting I have faults from CP 5. Sounds silly, but I think that is causing me more problems than I originally thought. My clear rate of CP 5 flawless is about 20%... If I can get that higher, then its just a matter of time before I clear the gap also. Then I can practice choking the last part 1f601.png

I love these threads about Trials Fusion where tracks are dissected into the most minute details and series of required movements, that's why the game is so brilliant - it has such easy mechanics (gas / brake / lean forward / lean back), and yet is so incredibly intricate when it comes to execution of these four. Well, I suppose there are more games like that, but it's the only one I've grown so fond about :D Too bad there's no bitching thread about Trials Fusion - everybody that I know seems to bitch about it in their own thread :D  And too bad there is no trophy for 0-faulting every extreme track, how much more bitching there would be ?

20 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

OK man, I'm looking forward to Redlynx to the Sword quite a bit! That's the kind if challenge I enjoy. Not so much dragging a fat bastard bike through Rock of Rages with no faults..  1f602.png

After Rising you probably won't find Redlynx to the Sword too bad, quite a few scores are really simple to beat, maybe one or two will take a bit more time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

After Rising you probably won't find Redlynx to the Sword too bad, quite a few scores are really simple to beat, maybe one or two will take a bit more time. 

A bit more time? That is an understatement. ? You make it sound as it’s easy. Sleepy Creek is very difficult. 

I spend a lot more time on it than Top Roach. (Not to demotivate OP)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baker said:

A bit more time? That is an understatement. 1f602.png You make it sound as it’s easy. Sleepy Creek is very difficult. 

I spend a lot more time on it than Top Roach. (Not to demotivate OP)

I meant exactly Sleepy Creek and the other one with saw blades ? And also, as I said, @KindaSabbath has already played Rising, so he definittely has some speedrunning experience, and you only need so much for the trophy. Anyway, Redlynx to the Sword is a great challenge and Top Roach is frustrating, though in the end also rewarding :D 

• Like 1