Do i need to have played odyssey?

I finished origins 100% and never bothered with odyssey at the time. The only reason im asking is because of the modern storyline but from what i remember which isnt much was that layla? and her story was very forgettable in origins. How is her story from odyssey to valhalla and during valhalla, any better or just forgetable?

I'd say no. The storyline for Valhalla is supposed to be standalone to the previous creeds and as im playing Valhalla myself now, I can say you will find some parallels between the creed, but you can just jump straight into the viking lore. 

Both fantastic games so i'd recommend both regardless of order you play them.

• Like 2

Only if you care about Modern Day. Modern Day would take an enormous leap going from Origins into Valhalla. You'd miss the Staff and what it even is, why Layla's with the people she's with in Valhalla, what the purpose of their mission even is (Though they do say why), who Aletheia is, etc. There's a section meant entirely for older AC fans who have kept with the Isu lore but that can be taken at face value. This is specifically the section where (Spoilers)

Spoiler

You play as Havi and see how the rest of the Isu in Asgard lived. It also lets you see Juno, Minerva, and a couple other Isu from the older games and what they did before the solar flare hit except obfuscated with a Viking twist due to Eivor.

There's also one other section relating to an older game that can also be taken at face value but has no relation to Odyssey. This is specifically the section where (Spoilers)

Spoiler

You go to North America (Vinland).

Reading Layla's e-mail also lets you know who the canon protagonist of Odyssey was but that's about it. They don't care about the character or anything outside of that and nothing from Odyssey matters outside of what directly relates to Modern Day.

Edited by soliunasm

Has anyone ever needed to play, read, or watch anything in order? 

99% of entertainment is pretty self-contained and full of enough expostion to understand any previous events.  If there are references to older stories understanding or not understanding a reference doesn't hugely impact any product as a whole. At best it is a little "haha. I understood that reference" moment.

I've always found the modern storyline stuff to be the worst part of the game by far so I put no value on that myself. I love the historical portions of the game, though. In terms of the modern storyline there will be one scene that's probably going to feel like it came out of nowhere, but if you're not super concerned about the modern storyline there's nothing in the historical part that will be affected. I thought Odyssey was a great game overall, ignoring the modern storyline, so I'd recommend playing it but if all you care about is the story it's not worth dropping 80 hours to get caught up.

To be honest I always rush the present day bullshit as fast as I can.

I've bought the game to play as a viking not a wannabe Tomb Raider nobody cares about :awesome:

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I can't stand Layla. The sooner they kill her off, the better.

^ This! ?

Edited by Deluziion90

On 10-8-2021 at 7:32 PM, TJ_Solo said:

Has anyone ever needed to play, read, or watch anything in order? 

99% of entertainment is pretty self-contained and full of enough expostion to understand any previous events.  If there are references to older stories understanding or not understanding a reference doesn't hugely impact any product as a whole. At best it is a little "haha. I understood that reference" moment.

Nescecary? no

Preferable? ideally yes

AC is a bad example. It has minor references to the story (mostly taking place outside the actual game world read: modern time) and is in and of it self very standalone experience. 

But for example kingdom hearts (as best example) you can indeed start with 3, but you are missing out on so much overarching story that is kinda present throughout the whole game. 

if i remember correctly. the most critical AC game to play before valhalla is odyssey followed by the DLC for the game.

you can go however you want about it after that point imo.

games go on sale at times. very worth it.

edit: i have played odyssey and origins before but not in that order. 

Edited by kingdrake2

I played Odyssey without playing Origins and  wasn't really lost. The modern day story is so minimalized nowadays that it's basically irrelevant, so go ahead and get your viking on. Personally I think once I finish Liberation and Origins I will be done with the series; Odyssey was too bloated and Valhalla even more so from what I hear. I shudder at the thought of what AC Infinite will be.