Is this a fun platinum?

Trophy guide mentions it's a 80-hour platinum trophy. It's not that bad in itself, but I'd like to know how much time out of that 80-hour is actually fun to do.

Is it a chore to get through, or is it a fun ride? What do you guys think?

I'm considering playing this game on the Nintendo Switch instead if it's a tedious platinum.

Thank you! :)

• Like 2

I haven't earned the platinum but I did everything (Including a 13 hour fight against Yiazamat) on the PS2 and it is a really fun game.  The biggest thing now to remember against the guide is you can change you license boards.  Originally, you chose one and were stuck with it, but as of a patch it is now in line with the Switch version.  This game is a little tedious at the beginning as you are limited on your gambits but as you buy more, the possibilities open up and it becomes more of a strategy game as opposed to an RPG.  Filling the bestiary will still take some time, as you the hunts do require some leveling up, but the speed up with the remake is a godsend

Honestly, I thought the entire platinum was pretty fun to do. The game wants you to do everything, and there is no moment (that I recall) that has you do anything monotonous for too long. Maybe getting some special enemies to spawn, but even then you are trying to fulfill some special requirements for something to happen. The platinum actually didn't have me do anything that I had not already done naturally in my playthroughs on the PS2 (hunting all marks, getting all spells, etc...)

I don't know if you played the game before... but if you enjoyed the gameplay, you cannot go wrong with trying to get the plat. I found it really enjoyable and diverse, and it didn't feel long at all. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Personally, this is one that I struggled with at the start. Same when I got the original on PS2, but then I grew up on the old turn based mechanics and was resistant to change ?.

However, I found I had more fun with this one after I got hold of the super weapons. I know some people say it spoils it, but I found the level up grind too tedious and slow without it. It's not the most grindy FF game I've played

• Like 1

Honestly I've done it once and I have to say that the last few stages of the 100 trials is really annoying, most of the hard rares spawn in there so you don't need to hunt them all (unsure which) and stage 100 is a nightmare if you're not prepared enough. No way to continue if you load main game again meaning all trials again

It really depends on how much you like and understand the battle system imo. If you do, the platinum is gonna be a blast. Otherwise, end-game hunts and trials are going to be annoying. There is no mindless grind if i remember correctly but you basically have to do everything. 

I thought so but then i always loved XII and went for Sky Pirates Den pre trophies anyways. Also always got black hole at least one time passively though.. I could see Mistwalker being a chore if you have a bit of bad luck but everything else is simple enough provided you like the game as a whole.

• 1 year later...

I got the plat in about 60 hours, the hunts are probably the most enjoyable part, while killing every enemy was a chore. You can cut off roughly 20 hours by getting the three invisible overpowered weapons with RNG methods though, all are extremely easy to get, plus you'll never have to deal with loot drops or the Bazaar. It's up to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm close to getting it and, to me, this platinum is straight up garbage. I had fun in the main story/I've liked the story itself (more than the hugely praised IX), exploring the map and doing the hunts, but the bestiary/rare games are just time-consuming nonsensical bullshit, alongside with some of the dungeons. To me it's one of the least fun platinum I've tried to get and probably will get.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve been dropping games left and right from my list to have a doable ‘games to platinum’ backlog

XII, IX and X-2 seems to have tedious lists that would sour the games (X-2 doesn’t need help in that department) so I’ll move them to beat not complete list. 

Edited by TalalHmd

I love Final Fantasy, I fell off of this one hard when I was younger and gave it another chance a year or two ago. It's still a pretty weak entry in my opnion, without the speed boosts in the Zodiac age it would have been an absolute slog to get through. I finished it and got the plat, but to be honest it was pretty meh over all the game basically plays itself and you just kinda watch.

Edited by tpepper1985