GTA The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (November 11, 2021)

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dear Rockstar,

Make Bully 2, or sell the IP to someone who will.

In the mean time, stop trying to sell me the same 3 games over and over again.

Sincerely,

Me

What this gentleman said! ☝️

Bully 2 speculation has been long overdue, and I'm beginning to lose hope... and sanity. :lol:

• Like 2

It's hard to get excited over this. I already played Vice City and San Andreas on PS4, and neither of them have aged very well. If there are some quality-of-life features in these remasters (quick save being the most obvious), I guess I might pick them up at some point. If not, I think the PS2 trilogy is going to be too much of a pain to revisit. 

Like others, what I'd really like to see is Max Payne 3, or just the GTA games that haven't already been re-released, like Liberty/Vice City Stories and GTA IV.

• Like 2

I'm fine with remasters, but dang it, these games are already on PS4 and we don't need PS5 ports of PS2 remasters, as we have the backwards compatibility.

M A K E   G T A   6   A L L R E A D Y,    I  T  '  S    B E E N   A L M O S T   8   Y E A R S

Seriously, this is the longest gap ever between any of the GTA games. With the 2nd longest being 4 years between Chinatown Wars/TBoGT DLC and GTA V...

Edited by Sebulba2000
  • Like 4

So they're gonna be like halfway between a remaster and a remake? I'm thinking something like the Legendary Edition of Mass Effect 1. If so, I'll take it. They're all classic games that I wouldn't mind playing again, especially with a fresh coat of paint. Personally though, I'd be much more interested in seeing Red Dead Redemption 1 and GTA IV get this kind of treatment, since unlike GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas, they aren't already available to play on PS4.

• Like 3

Having played these recently, they really don't hold up very well gameplay wise. A graphical overhaul with the same tiny and dated worlds is going to be a very bizarre experience.

The PS2 generation has already been brought to modern-ish consoles, but the PS3 generation languishes behind. I'd much rather see GTAIV (maybe?) or RDR1 (lol never gonna happen) brought to the PS5.

44 minutes ago, Sebulba2000 said:

M A K E   G T A   6   A L L R E A D Y,    I  T  '  S    B E E N   A L M O S T   8   Y E A R S

GTA Online made a billion dollars last year.

A Billion.

With a 'B'.

What possible reason could they have to make anything that might potentially make people feel - even slightly - like that game was 'old' and stop playing it?

You don't mess with the golden goose.

I'd wager we'll see World of Warcraft 2 before we see GTAVI ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lucky0ne16 said:

how about we get a vice city stories and liberty city stories remastered as well 

Honestly, I'd rather they did that than the PS2 era trilogy.

That's probably me being selfish, though, as I've played the "big three" to death and never played the ___ City Stories games, haha.

• Like 3

If they could make these look/play like at least PS4 quality, I’d be all over.

As someone who missed the PS2 era, I have no desire to go back to blocky visuals and clunky controls no matter how fun the experience was back then.  There is a different standard of gameplay and visuals today.

I considered the trilogy release on PS4 but the ports looked really poor and I’ve heard horror stories on the gameplay.

They need to put in a little effort this time.  If they do, I’d love to jump in!

I'm excited to see if these rumors turn out to be true.  Based on the OP info and a couple of the articles I've read today, the GTA trilogy re-release certainly looking like a very strong possibility.  

Thoughts:

• Disappointed if these are just remasters.  We got remasters of these three titles in the last generation so I'm worried about that.  If they are full-blown remakes, now that might be something very cool to experience.  However, I doubt they are remakes because I don't think they've been in development long enough.  My guess is, Take-Two probably waited to see if the remastered Mafia trilogy was successful before pursuing remasters/remakes of other back catalog titles.  Even though the Mafia trilogy had many flaws, sales were good.  It's only been about a year since the Mafia remastered trilogy released so a remake of the GTA trilogy would be doubtful.  Hopefully I'm wrong and they were planning these re-releases several years in advance.  The CEO of Take-Two has consistently said, however, that they were not interested in making a simple port for re-release so we'll see.

• I would've personally been more excited to see a Red Dead Redemption remake or a remake of the Max Payne trilogy.  I understand the priority for the company to re-release the GTA trilogy on current gen consoles since GTA is their top moneymaker but my gut tells me more of their hardcore, loyal audiences would've preferred a remastered/remake on a popular series or game that hasn't yet seen a re-release.  I do know the first Max Payne was re-released on PS4 but I believe it was a simple port only.

• Whether or not it's the type of re-release I'm hoping for, I do hope it's successful.  The success of these titles, IMO, will determine if future re-releases of other Take-Two back catalog games are pursued in the future.  I believe that if the GTA trilogy is a flop, future remasters/remakes are in jeopardy, at least from this company.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheArcadeKid said:

It's hard to get excited over this. I already played Vice City and San Andreas on PS4, and neither of them have aged very well. If there are some quality-of-life features in these remasters (quick save being the most obvious), I guess I might pick them up at some point. If not, I think the PS2 trilogy is going to be too much of a pain to revisit. 

Like others, what I'd really like to see is Max Payne 3, or just the GTA games that haven't already been re-released, like Liberty/Vice City Stories and GTA IV.

This ^

I did VC and it was a terribly painful experience. It was like playing a game with vaseline in your eyes or coating the screen.

I mean, in fairness, for the age of these games, they were remarkable at the time they came out. But the leap from PS2 to PS3 was massive. PS3 games are still playable, PS2 games (even the best of them from that era) are not. Time has not been kind.

• Like 4