GTA The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (November 11, 2021)

16 minutes ago, Paperclip1776 said:

I'm excited to see if these rumors turn out to be true.  Based on the OP info and a couple of the articles I've read today, the GTA trilogy re-release certainly looking like a very strong possibility.  

Thoughts:

• Disappointed if these are just remasters.  We got remasters of these three titles in the last generation so I'm worried about that.  If they are full-blown remakes, now that might be something very cool to experience.  However, I doubt they are remakes because I don't think they've been in development long enough.  My guess is, Take-Two probably waited to see if the remastered Mafia trilogy was successful before pursuing remasters/remakes of other back catalog titles.  Even though the Mafia trilogy had many flaws, sales were good.  It's only been about a year since the Mafia remastered trilogy released so a remake of the GTA trilogy would be doubtful.  Hopefully I'm wrong and they were planning these re-releases several years in advance.  The CEO of Take-Two has consistently said, however, that they were not interested in making a simple port for re-release so we'll see.

• I would've personally been more excited to see a Red Dead Redemption remake or a remake of the Max Payne trilogy.  I understand the priority for the company to re-release the GTA trilogy on current gen consoles since GTA is their top moneymaker but my gut tells me more of their hardcore, loyal audiences would've preferred a remastered/remake on a popular series or game that hasn't yet seen a re-release.  I do know the first Max Payne was re-released on PS4 but I believe it was a simple port only.

• Whether or not it's the type of re-release I'm hoping for, I do hope it's successful.  The success of these titles, IMO, will determine if future re-releases of other Take-Two back catalog games are pursued in the future.  I believe that if the GTA trilogy is a flop, future remasters/remakes are in jeopardy, at least from this company.

They put a lot of work in the remake of Mafia I.  I don’t think we are getting that.  Sounds like more of a light remaster like Mafia II unfortunately.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, djb5f said:

They put a lot of work in the remake of Mafia I.  I don’t think we are getting that.  Sounds like more of a light remaster like Mafia II unfortunately.

Agreed on all your comments here.  Expecting a remaster over a remake.  The first Mafia was a remake and I think overall it was well done.  It was the best one of the series, IMO.

1 hour ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

The Red Dead Redemption 1 Remake/Remaster is the real interesting tidbit for me.  I don't have a PS3 so a chance to play it again on a Sony console would be great.

This is the main takeaway for me as well, to be honest, as I would love having the ability to play the first RDR game on a more recent, modern PlayStation console.
(A remake - perhaps in RDR II's engine - would be preferable, but a remaster if done well would still be great too)

I already have the PS2 GTA games on my PS4 so - while still somewhat interested in them - it's hard for me personally to get all that excited for these if they're just remasters.

Still a potentially great thing for those that never played the games before, I suppose. (So long as they aren't a mess, of course lol)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Having played both Vice City and San Andreas several times on various consoles over the years, it's going to take something pretty special in order to make me play through them again.

Don't get me wrong - they're awesome as games but a bit of spit and polish isn't something that's going to have me buying them day one. Like a few other people on here, I'd prefer it if Red Dead got the treatment first but that's by the by.

I'm interested to see where they go with this but not overly fussed if it turns out to be nothing.

3 hours ago, LosAngelesPride said:

These games have already been remastered for the PS4 and they felt very dated graphically and gameplay wise, if it's not a remake there is no point in bringing the same old games in a new gen. We will see but I'm more excited for the GTA V remaster to be honest. 

It'll feel like they're out of touch if they're just remastering them again given how a lot of other games have been receiving remakes, or even collections of remakes, as of late.

I'm not saying that remasters aren't acceptable in of themselves, but for games that've been re-released/remastered repeatedly in the past including rather recently?

I think remakes are more "necessary" at that point, because otherwise this'll seem rather pointless and cheap in my eyes.

Edited by Zephrese

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

This ^

I did VC and it was a terribly painful experience. It was like playing a game with vaseline in your eyes or coating the screen.

I mean, in fairness, for the age of these games, they were remarkable at the time they came out. But the leap from PS2 to PS3 was massive. PS3 games are still playable, PS2 games (even the best of them from that era) are not. Time has not been kind.

I'd argue that the PS2 GTA games are easily among the worst offenders as far as poorly-aged games go. A lot of other PS2 games do still hold up today, I think: the majority of Sony-developed/published games, heavy-hitters by Ubisoft, Square Enix, Konami and so on.

I think what made the PS2 GTA games so amazing back then - the expansiveness, the complexity - is what hurts them so much today. The sandbox design is laughably crude compared to any other open-world game released in the last 10-15 years, and the actual gameplay lacks the tightness and refinement of more linear games like, say, Metal Gear Solid 2 or God of War. 

San Andreas is a game from my childhood, and I couldn't even reach the credits on PS4. That never happened with any other PS2 re-release I'd played back in the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batmannequin said:

Honestly, I'd rather they did that than the PS2 era trilogy.

That's probably me being selfish, though, as I've played the "big three" to death and never played the ___ City Stories games, haha.

i love the stories game, i played them and went into gta 3 and vice city with more knowledge of what was going on between the games, seeing the world of both games being different and going back to 3 and vice city not seeing the differences was the big change, there is a dirt track in Lcs that is not there in gta 3. you should give them a try

Edited by lucky0ne16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I love you rockstar but please stop fucking about and get on with gta 6

why? so it's rushed and trash like Cyberpunk?

with missing features etc? take their time.

If these are just ports, idgaf. If the remastering is a bit more detailed than that then sure. But i would only buy it to put it on the shelf.

15 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Folks, regardless of whether or not you think this is a good idea, can we please stop saying that these games were "already remastered" on PS4? Because they weren't, they were ports as part of that short-lived PS2 classics thing they were doing. No remastering of any kind, literally looked as if you were playing your PS2 over component. In fact they were somewhat worse as many songs were removed due to licensing expiration. The only one of these to get remastered was San Andreas on PS3 and it was based on the iOS version so it was utter shite. If this is true, I hope a lot more effort is put into them than that.

They aren't exactly remasters, sure, but they were still upscaled ports as far as I could tell.

Sort of blurs the line as to what the difference between a straight port and a remaster actually is a little bit, I suppose, so I can understand making that assumption by mistake.

That said, though, I don't think remastering the games would give them enough of a "facelift", personally, especially in the visuals department.
Given how poorly they've aged, I'd much prefer that they receive remakes even though that seems unlikely, otherwise they aren't going to look that much better I feel.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Folks, regardless of whether or not you think this is a good idea, can we please stop saying that these games were "already remastered" on PS4? Because they weren't, they were ports as part of that short-lived PS2 classics thing they were doing. No remastering of any kind, literally looked as if you were playing your PS2 over component. In fact they were somewhat worse as many songs were removed due to licensing expiration. The only one of these to get remastered was San Andreas on PS3 and it was based on the iOS version so it was utter shite. If this is true, I hope a lot more effort is put into them than that.

Not really. The PS2 classics on PS4 are a much higher resolution. About 4x the resolution they were on PS2 I believe and then upscaled to 1080p. A lot cleaner-looking than if you just hooked up a PS2 and played the game off that. So in essence, they're not that much different than a barebones remaster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Give us a remaster of Grand Theft Auto IV, NOT the trilogy that we already played. 

Or, re-release Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories with trophy support.

This + Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne trilogy is all that's really needed. Maybe the Manhunt games too. That's about it.

1 minute ago, tony_snake_24 said:

This + Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne trilogy is all that's really needed. Maybe the Manhunt games too. That's about it.

Manhunt 2 specifically. Max Payne 2 as well. Red Dead and Max Payne 3 would be nice too. 

Anything but GTA III to San Andreas. Hell, why not release Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories for the PS4 and PS5?

• Like 1

They do love to drag a series out these men, jesus!

Agent (remember that), Bully 2 and some of the older stuff yet to be re released as others have said would be of more appealing interest as a release.

At this point, they may as well just announce GTA 3, VC, SA, GTA IV, V and Lib/VC Stories (as one game) as a complete edition and call it GTA 6! 

• Like 1